Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raveneye

Again, if you want teaching from training ground then why not Carrick? Carrick is just better option than Matic for that. There is just no comparison for Matic & Rice case with Cavani & Greenwood case.
I have no idea why the hell you're buzzing around this argument like a mosquito as if Matic and Carrick wouldn't both be available on the training ground. They have different approaches to the game and I'm sure they both have things they could teach Declan.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have no idea why the hell you're buzzing around this argument like a mosquito as if Matic and Carrick wouldn't both be available on the training ground. They have different approaches to the game and I'm sure they both have things they could teach Declan.
Because that was the argument what started though. Matic to Rice is just not Cavani to Greenwood.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it would be interesting to see how our team would look if we got a left-footed ball-playing LCB like Torres and a DM like Rice who would be very comfortable dropping into a back three in possession. I suspect we'd improve quite a bit in possession in those positions, more so than Rice's actual skillset on the ball would suggest we would.

I didn't think Matic was particularly good yesterday but whenever he plays you can immediately see we function differently with that sort of DM in the side.

Raveneye

Because that was the argument what started though. Matic to Rice is just not Cavani to Greenwood.
No. I didn't make any argument, let alone that argument. I mentioned Cavani and Greenwood and that I didn't expect it to be quite like that, but that I was salivating at the prospect anyway. And now you keep buzzing around an argument that doesn't exist putting words in my mouth. Go away.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. I didn't make any argument, let alone that argument. I mentioned Cavani and Greenwood and that I didn't expect it to be quite like that, but that I was salivating at the prospect anyway. And now you keep buzzing around an argument that doesn't exist putting words in my mouth. Go away.
I never say you make the argument.

I made the argument because I disagree with your point on the Matic-Rice comparison with Cavani-Greenwood. That was the point I disagree thus why I was focusing on that point. If you have nothing else to add to defend that point then you can move on mate.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think it would be interesting to see how our team would look if we got a left-footed ball-playing LCB like Torres and a DM like Rice who would be very comfortable dropping into a back three in possession. I suspect we'd improve quite a bit in possession in those positions, more so than Rice's actual skillset on the ball would suggest we would.

I didn't think Matic was particularly good yesterday but whenever he plays you can immediately see we function differently with that sort of DM in the side.
It would be interesting to see indeed. In my opinion, Rice probably will improve our defense as he is better in his positioning and ball recoveries than McT. The left footed centre back will be interesting but that’s a different discussion.

Jezpeza

Jones, Lingard, Matic, two balloons and a goldfish for declan rice. I would go out on a 5 day bender in celebration but obviously its surely paper talk???

The Purley King

Moyes always liked to take United rejects since his Everton days.
Moyes has literally 0 imagination. Just raids old clubs for his old (and mostly shit) players.
I remember the Baines and Fellaini talk in the summer before he started. Gives me goosebumps but not in a good way.
I could 100% believe it if he wanted Jones, Matic and Lingard.

Matthew84!

Jones, Lingard, Matic, two balloons and a goldfish for declan rice. I would go out on a 5 day bender in celebration but obviously its surely paper talk???
Well it might be but Moyes might be thinking Matic brings experience and Jones is a title winner and Lingard is obviously on the form of his life.
Just so its clear that's not my view on those players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

We would have more possession, but it wouldn't make it easier for us to play the ball forward. Our defense is comfortable enough on the ball, what we need is someone in the middle available for a pass.

Matic (or any midfielder) dropping deep makes more harm than good, as we play with two midfielders meaning the second one is left on his own. This works for teams who play 3 man midfield.

Raveneye

I never say you make the argument.

I made the argument because I disagree with your point on the Matic-Rice comparison with Cavani-Greenwood. That was the point I disagree thus why I was focusing on that point. If you have nothing else to add to defend that point then you can move on mate.
Is there any particular reason you're so insistent on diminishing any role Matic may play in Rice's continued development?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Is there any particular reason you're so insistent on diminishing any role Matic may play in Rice's continued development?
You are moaning about me keep buzzing on it and yet when I tell you to move on, you cannot stop yourself. I have explained it before.

You are making it sounds like Rice is still a teenager. He has matured enough in his game and already show a better leadership than Matic. The guy is vice captain of the club and technically their regular week in week out captain since Noble barely even start this season. On the current level, Rice is better than Matic. If I want to see teaching in training, I would rather Rice takes a lesson from Carrick.

Greenwood & Cavani situation is different. Greenwood is still inexperienced while Cavani still got it. On the current level, Cavani is still better player than Greenwood.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We would have more possession, but it wouldn't make it easier for us to play the ball forward. Our defense is comfortable enough on the ball, what we need is someone in the middle available for a pass.

Matic (or any midfielder) dropping deep makes more harm than good, as we play with two midfielders meaning the second one is left on his own. This works for teams who play 3 man midfield.
Isn’t that the point of ball playing centre back especially with left footed would make it easier for us to play the ball forward? And you got the double pivot to shield.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Isn't it a fairly normal tactic in a 4231 as well? As Ajax play it:

That's partly what I mean when I say it would be interesting to see those signings though. Aside from any player for player upgrades they might provide, we might shift what we do tactically a bit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-ham-united-fc/payroll/

Probably mentoned already but he's on 3k a week according to this.

You'd have to suspect his mind has been made up to leave otherwise surely he'd have signed a new contract by now?

It's also why I don't think he'll cost much at all unless a bidding war begins. £40m should do it.

Edit - Apparently this is a fabrication of truth. I'm outraged.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/west-ham-united-fc/payroll/

Probably mentoned already but he's on 3k a week according to this.

You'd have to suspect his mind has been made up to leave otherwise surely he'd have signed a new contract by now?

It's also why I don't think he'll cost much at all unless a bidding war begins. £40m should do it.
He signed a long contract in 2018 which tied him to 2024. Makes no sense if it's 3k p/w.

AgentSmith

Are you saying the internet would lie?

:wenger:
Rice started on £3,000 a week, which is where your original number is from I think, but that got bumped up to £60,000. His wage package obviously took those 100% legit dick pills I’ve seen advertised on the internet.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Isn't it a fairly normal tactic in a 4231 as well? As Ajax play it:

That's partly what I mean when I say it would be interesting to see those signings though. Aside from any player for player upgrades they might provide, we might shift what we do tactically a bit.
Not sure how we have players that suits to the 4231 in that video even if we sign Rice.

VDB in that 10 operates differently than Bruno. De Jong operates differently to any of our deep midfielder. Not sure how we can shift it tactically to what shown in the video.

Raveneye

You are moaning about me keep buzzing on it and yet when I tell you to move on, you cannot stop yourself. I have explained it before.
I asked you a different question entirely from the inane argument that Rice should somehow learn from Carrick but not Matic that you were constantly buzzing about. Wtf.

And no, that old post you've quoted states your position. You never said why you feel so strongly that being around Carrick is going to be so much better than being around Matic as if Rice could only learn from one of them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I asked you a different question entirely from the inane argument that Rice should somehow learn from Carrick but not Matic that you were constantly buzzing about. Wtf.

And no, that old post you've quoted states your position. You never said why you feel so strongly that being around Carrick is going to be so much better than being around Matic as if Rice could only learn from one of them.
Because I feel Rice is already on the road to reach Matic's prime level. If he wants to go next level, Carrick is much more suitable mentor for him.

Raveneye

Because I feel Rice is already on the road to reach Matic's prime level. If he wants to go next level, Carrick is much more suitable mentor for him.
So you believe Carrick is a significantly better DM than Matic? Hmm. I don't share this view, but would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you believe Carrick is a significantly better DM than Matic? Hmm. I don't share this view, but would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
I can't believe you actually ask that question.

And beside, using your logic, you just said in your previous post that they have different approach in their game. Rice's current ability as midfielder would evolve in next level if he can improve his positioning, passing and playmaking ability which Carrick is much better in those aspect than Matic.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I dont necessarily agree with him in the discussion (having experienced players around can only be a good thing), but yes, Carrick over Matic any day of the week.

Carrick, in my opinion, was a much more intelligent player in terms of positioning. He was also a lot better passer.

I mean, Matic is 32. No way would Carrick be backup to McTominay and Fred at 32.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Out of all the transfers including a potential LCB, potential ST or Sancho in the summer- Rice is really starting to excite me the most.

The way he plays the game can be so simple that I can understand why some feel like he doesn't do anything to worth the transfer fee he may cost - yet that simplicity maybe sometimes hard to find and bring in to the middle of a pitch like we see players like Fernandinho do for Manchester city.

Rice plays like a combination of 2 players ( and im not saying that to put down McFred who I enjoy watching), he kind of knows how to defend the middle of the pitch by staying in a certain area of the pitch which is not an easy type of player to find these days compared to the numerous players you see that leave their
cdm position to press at different areas of the pitch.

Whether Rice is the CDM we go for or not, having one of a similar style should be what gives our defence an extra layer of protection even when we get a new defender whilst also being the protection that gives our attackers the freedom to concentrate on purely penetrating the opposition for 90 mins.

It should give us the ability to play us different formations or tactics a bit more too - 433, 442 diamond, 352, 4231 with more attacking box to box abilities etc,

lsd

The Oracle
Rice, Sancho and Varane would be a dream summer.

Sell Lingard, Perriera, De Gea , Dalot and Martial

Status
Not open for further replies.