Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

Hes never worth 90
Kalvin Phillips a better DM by some measure. Rice just a paint-by-the-numbers DM who doesn’t cover a lot of ground and makes a lot of sideways and back passes. I’m absolutely flummoxed as to why we’d need to pay 90m for a player like that…

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I said it before and I'll say it again, we don't need to spunk any money on rice who is no better than Mctominay
And somebody else will be lumbered with the tedious job of pointing out that they don't play the same fecking role. How many times?!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Being used in a more negative way in this England team, as the most defensive midfielder alongside another defensive midfielder. Both played well against Croatia, neither playing well in this game.

DSG

And somebody else will be lumbered with the tedious job of pointing out that they don't play the same fecking role. How many times?!
They don’t. But that’s whose spot he’d be taking…. So….

I like McSauce more, btw. He’s better on the turn, better technically IMHO.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Being used in a more negative way in this England team, as the most defensive midfielder alongside another defensive midfielder. Both played well against Croatia, neither playing well in this game.
Please stop blaming the tactics. There's been several chances for him to pass through the lines. He either lacks the ability or confidence to try.

Still don't see what the fuss is about.
Good player but not a £80m player.

I rate him but Keane just savaged him :lol:
Deservedly so. Roy Keane knows what a top midfield player looks like.

For the prices being thrown around it'll be an absolute robbery.
That's the key. Half West Ham's nonsensical asking price and you can consider it. Even if he's not great on the ball. However, talk of spending as much on him as we did on Pogba? Madness.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Kalvin Philips isnt even playing as a DM

Sea-Cow

Its weird because I think he always plays very well against us. Not just in his busting around, but in his passing and carrying the ball forward etc.

But this just isn't inspiring at all...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Rice is a CDM and mctominay is also a CDM. I see you point, totally different positions

Stacks

Kalvin Phillips a better DM by some measure. Rice just a paint-by-the-numbers DM who doesn’t cover a lot of ground and makes a lot of sideways and back passes. I’m absolutely flummoxed as to why we’d need to pay 90m for a player like that
we wouldn't
could be the type of opposition. Like when United play against lesser sides

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I want a DM that can pass forward and break the lines. This guy cannot.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its weird because I think he always plays very well against us. Not just in his busting around, but in his passing and carrying the ball forward etc.

But this just isn't inspiring at all...
His defending hasnt been great today either

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Jeez. Is he less limited for West Ham?
He's used in a less constricted way in a less negative set-up. Which says a lot about Southgate, really.

That said, there's no getting away from the fact that a midfield of Rice + McTominay/Fred would be extremely one-dimensional, as the Rice + Phillips midfield looks today. Rice is very good at what he does but he should be there to compliment the player beside him. None of those players do that.

The only way he makes sense for us is if we genuinely think someone like Pogba will function deeper beside him and compliment him in that role or if we were signing a completely different midfielder as well. Otherwise....

criticalanalysis

Other than being positionally very disciplined, he's not offering anything different or better than what we have. Unless he comes cheap, which is not happening, move on and spend that elsewhere or on other options.

DSG

we wouldn't

could be the type of opposition. Like when United play against lesser sides
Well, Croatia was playing a high press. He was more invisible than he was good. Phillips WAS good.

Scotland isn’t pressing the CBs and Rice. Happy to watch them pass amongst themselves. Every time it gets to Shaw and Mount and Sterling on the left, good things happen.

The biggest issue for England is that Southgate is so conservative and playing not to lose, rather than playing to win a fecking tournament.

TrueRed79

He should have stayed with Ireland. Big mistake switching to this terrible English team. Would have been more appreciated and had way better craic.

semi serious

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be honest, he is like a 20m-30m rated midfielder rather than a 80-90m rated one. I hope we don't go for him, not even if his priced is down to 40m.

Mike Smalling

First time I have really tried to watch Rice throughout a game. Takes too many touches and passes backwards and sideways.

NoPace

The only setup I could see him being likely to be worth the insane amount of money is if Pogba resigned and we play 4-4-2 with them as a pairing and Rashford, Bruno, Sancho behind a 9 with the idea being Rice runs his ass off dealing with counters and letting everyone else play. He doesn't pass forward any better than McTominay.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Put him alongside peak Paul Scholes, no problem. He'll be disciplined, play to his strengths, bring structure to the side, strengthen the team defensively and make his midfield partner's life easier. A fine, safe if expensive signing.

Play him alongside McTominay, Fred or (as Southgate did) another DM? Football death.

He was better than Phillips today but that isn't saying much. Should have done better, though I'd mostly blame Southgate's grim approach. Rice & Phillips worked against Croatia but come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.