Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

I'ma ask y'all this Question!!

What's the point of Buying a supposed Midfielder that's good at chasing down opposition players but can't retain possession or keep the ball for his team when under any pressure?

I watched Verratti through out the Euro 2020 tournament but couldn't help but think he's the type of Controlling Midfielder we need, who's also good at Tackling and pressing too, Rice ain't the type of Midfielder that would suit us, we need a ball playing Midfielder with a bit of enegry to his game, we don't need another headless chicken type midfielder i can't stress it further.
The thing with Rice, he is just a better McTominay, its not someone we need to pay £60m for.

Like you said Verratti is the sort of player you need as a team if you are to control games, he can receive the ball under any circumstance and play a very good ball out.

I have said this for a while, Manutd need someone in the midfield that can pass a ball, by that I don't mean play the easy ball to CB, or full back but its finding those line breaking passes into the forwards.

LonelyFire

The thing with Rice, he is just a better McTominay, its not someone we need to pay £60m for.

Like you said Verratti is the sort of player you need as a team if you are to control games, he can receive the ball under any circumstance and play a very good ball out.

I have said this for a while, Manutd need someone in the midfield that can pass a ball, by that I don't mean play the easy ball to CB, or full back but its finding those line breaking passes into the forwards.
I really don’t think he’s better than McTominay. That’s classic Utd fans downplaying their own - McTominay is a lot better than people give him credit for. The issue with signing Rice is he isn’t an improvement on what we have…..and it would be an astronomical amount of money.

foolsgold

Never really saw the appeal of Rice, it'd be eye wateringly expensive for a bit of midfield depth. Not convinced he's a meaningful upgrade on either Fred or McTominay.

Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any interest from the club

Zoo

I'ma ask y'all this Question!!

What's the point of Buying a supposed Midfielder that's good at chasing down opposition players but can't retain possession or keep the ball for his team when under any pressure?

I watched Verratti through out the Euro 2020 tournament but couldn't help but think he's the type of Controlling Midfielder we need, who's also good at Tackling and pressing too, Rice ain't the type of Midfielder that would suit us, we need a ball playing Midfielder with a bit of enegry to his game, we don't need another headless chicken type midfielder i can't stress it further.
Like who? Very few good controlling midfielders out there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd rather give James Garner and Mejbri the chance to establish themselves to be honest. Both have the potential to make Rice look like a side dish.

Lets be honest, Englands midfield in the euros was tragic.

Bossed by Scotland, first half against Ukraine we struggled until the 2nd goal where their heads dropped, Denmark had an even footing, and Italy completely bossed us.

He's the Dan James of central midfield.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Like who? Very few good controlling midfielders out there.
Let's be honest Ruben Neves is a better footballer Compared to Rice, I'm not a Scout but i think we can surely find players out there who can shield our back four as well as pass a fecking football into our Attackers.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
A lot of people are saying that he's not seen as a massive upgrade on Fred or McTominay, but for me there's actually nothing between the three of them. All excel in different parts of the game.

Anyway, we need somebody like Locatelli, Frenkie de Jong, Verratti to give us greater control.

yamo123x

A lot of people are saying that he's not seen as a massive upgrade on Fred or McTominay, but for me there's actually nothing between the three of them. All excel in different parts of the game.

Anyway, we need somebody like Locatelli, Frenkie de Jong, Verratti to give us greater control.

Is Locatelli that good? I saw him in euros and for me he is nothing special. Verratti, De jong yes i agree but the love for Locatelli was based on his 2 goals in that one game, i really dont think he is that special. Pedri on the other hand is fantastic young player.

croadyman

Yeah you saw on Sunday against England how beneficial one of these can be to your midfield, however Ole doesn't play in the same way as Mancini so still think we are looking at someone who is more of a sitting DM

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The reason Im interested in some Rice is not really because that I think he is a Carrick style deep lying playmaker- it’s more to do with me believing that even after we get that type of deep lying playmaking CDM in to the squad; that we will still need a CDM who is capable of doing what Rice does.

If it’s not this year whilst we focus on a different type of midfielder (camavinga etc) then it will most likely be another.

The guy is 22 and he is very intellectually playing the CDM role in a defensive way. His attacking mindset is shown up to be a bit unnecessarily overly simplified when playing for England - but you can see in the first 30 mins vs Italy that he can make some passes like he didn’t attempt to do for most of the tournament & it was more the style we see him at West Ham. (During that time it was England who was controlling the match before turning it and giving the ball to Italy to hold possession freely towards the end of the first half and the whole of the second half)

If we have Pogba and want to use him as our main creative output in midfield then I think Rice is a good choice. The team gets the creativity of Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, Sancho, the deep ball playing abilities of Maguire/Lindelof and a new CB, the deep lying forward abilities of Martial and Cavani, the clinical ability of Rashford and Greenwood able to focus on it with extra creators in the team etc.

However if Pogba is not going to be here- or only used sparingly like he was a bit last season then Rice is not a good choice because what we need is a deep lying playmaker that replaces Pogba’s role in the squad rather than a deep lying playmaker that replaces Matic. They are slightly different types of CDM and in my eyes we could do we both.

The one player I’m quite interested is James Garner and how ready he maybe to step up for United. If he is potentially good enough to play for us then isn’t he our future deep lying playmaker? If we buy one instead then does it stop Garners ability to play that role in the team? Say if Garner becomes a very good playmaker for us - does Rice become more the type of CDM we need?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is Locatelli that good? I saw him in euros and for me he is nothing special. Verratti, De jong yes i agree but the love for Locatelli was based on his 2 goals in that one game, i really dont think he is that special. Pedri on the other hand is fantastic young player.
Locatelli has been a name known to the Caf muppet kingdom for long before that game.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I actually entered this thread with intentions to write "let's spend £70m on Pedri before he becomes a Barca for life player", he is fantastic and I'd love for us to get him. The Locatelli shout is actually because I play football with a Milan fan who's been singing his praise for a few years, and watching him in the tournament you understand why he could take a step to the next level in a bigger club.

Yeah you saw on Sunday against England how beneficial one of these can be to your midfield, however Ole doesn't play in the same way as Mancini so still think we are looking at someone who is more of a sitting DM
I haven't decided whether the ultimate goal for Ole is to be able to play 4-2-3-1 with a 'classic' double pivot; i.e. a deep-lying playmaker and a box-to-box... or a 4-3-3 with a passing holding midfielder, either way I think a player of this profile would work if we upgrade our right CB.

lysglimt

Scout
Do you think Rice would have changed anything about the result against Villarreal for example? Do you think what you are describing there, is what we were lacking last season, when we drew 11 games, 8 out of those goalless?
No - in that game, we lost because our squad was too poor. But do I think Rice could have made a difference in matches where we lost points due to a counter-attack against - yes possibly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No - in that game, we lost because our squad was too poor. But do I think Rice could have made a difference in matches where we lost points due to a counter-attack against - yes possibly.
Our squad was better than Villarreal's. We lost that game on the training ground.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Aurelien Tchouameni from Monaco looks to have bigger potential imo. So it would be for the best if we wait another year before trying to bring in a more combative type of midfielder. I personally hope we go for Tchouameni to partner a future midfield of Tchouameni, Garner and Mejbri or Tchouameni, Bellingham and Mejbri.

jesperjaap

The reason Im interested in some Rice is not really because that I think he is a Carrick style deep lying playmaker- it’s more to do with me believing that even after we get that type of deep lying playmaking CDM in to the squad; that we will still need a CDM who is capable of doing what Rice does.

If it’s not this year whilst we focus on a different type of midfielder (camavinga etc) then it will most likely be another.

The guy is 22 and he is very intellectually playing the CDM role in a defensive way. His attacking mindset is shown up to be a bit unnecessarily overly simplified when playing for England - but you can see in the first 30 mins vs Italy that he can make some passes like he didn’t attempt to do for most of the tournament & it was more the style we see him at West Ham. (During that time it was England who was controlling the match before turning it and giving the ball to Italy to hold possession freely towards the end of the first half and the whole of the second half)

If we have Pogba and want to use him as our main creative output in midfield then I think Rice is a good choice. The team gets the creativity of Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, Sancho, the deep ball playing abilities of Maguire/Lindelof and a new CB, the deep lying forward abilities of Martial and Cavani, the clinical ability of Rashford and Greenwood able to focus on it with extra creators in the team etc.

However if Pogba is not going to be here- or only used sparingly like he was a bit last season then Rice is not a good choice because what we need is a deep lying playmaker that replaces Pogba’s role in the squad rather than a deep lying playmaker that replaces Matic. They are slightly different types of CDM and in my eyes we could do we both.

The one player I’m quite interested is James Garner and how ready he maybe to step up for United. If he is potentially good enough to play for us then isn’t he our future deep lying playmaker? If we buy one instead then does it stop Garners ability to play that role in the team? Say if Garner becomes a very good playmaker for us - does Rice become more the type of CDM we need?
I agree with the first half of what you write whole heartedly....its just when you mentioned Pogba. For me its irrespective of Pogba staying or going and its not VDB either as the asnwer. Only way those variables change for me is if we change to one pivot and two midfielders with Fernandes deeper.....otherwise in my opinion we need TWO new central midfielders next season.

I still dont think we need Fred AND McTominay and I see neither of them should be starters in this current set up, regardless of who is signed. They are for me very good squad players for different options.

When I say two new midfielders, as you mention one of them could be a Mjebri or a Garner, as they are different types of players to what we have, whether eithe ris ready to challenge of course is a different story.

But for me nearly every name we are linked with as a signing I try and picture in a starting eleven....and none of them do I look at or midfield and think its still missing something...thats why I think we need two....its just the same as when we signed Maguire, we needed two centr backs and its taken two or thre years now to finally address that (hopefully anyway)

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Did he have good game in the final? Yes McTominay also had against Villareal, that doesnt make them good enough players for us. But at least McTominay cost us nothing but arguably some minutes given to more talented player and their development. For the money it's nonsense, he would have to be upgrade on Fred which he really isn't and even though he's still young and Midfielders rarely improve their passing and vision dramatically. We don't need him and if we could go all out for Camavinga who's half or third of the price and is already better than him, than I hope we have some sensible people who decide that. Ole in this would be entirely stupid to get Declan and cut the majority of his budget to improve our squad where it needs to be..

Many better players for fraction of price in the market, if we want a basic reliable defensive midfielder..

Devil may care

If we sign him obviously I hope it works out but the more I watch him I really don't want him at United, he's painfully average on the ball and mediocre at best when pressed, I'd take any of the 4 main Italian midfielders over him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He had a solid tournament and with strict tactics imposed in midfield, think he completed pretty much 100% instructions from Southgate. Got contract to 2024 so next year there's chance he'll be moving, perhaps then United will make contacts. So far sending Lingard the other way could build some ground for future talks.

Possibility of Camavinga will bring answers to many questions, soon.

Abraxas

I actually entered this thread with intentions to write "let's spend £70m on Pedri before he becomes a Barca for life player", he is fantastic and I'd love for us to get him. The Locatelli shout is actually because I play football with a Milan fan who's been singing his praise for a few years, and watching him in the tournament you understand why he could take a step to the next level in a bigger club.

I haven't decided whether the ultimate goal for Ole is to be able to play 4-2-3-1 with a 'classic' double pivot; i.e. a deep-lying playmaker and a box-to-box... or a 4-3-3 with a passing holding midfielder, either way I think a player of this profile would work if we upgrade our right CB.
Surely Barcelona are never going to sell Pedri in a million years. Financial predicament or not, I think he'd fall into the protected species category - a player they simply wouldn't entertain doing business for. Would not make any sense, he could be the backbone of their midfield for a decade and is perfect for their ideal style of football.

He looks incredible, but I do think that's pie in the sky. Same for de Jong and Verrati.

I think it's about time our scouts identified some of the best of the rest, those at clubs that are not at our level and ready to break out. They simply have to be out there.

OrcaFat

Veratti the man himself would be great. A player like him but not as good is a different prospect.

hobbers

It is baffling how this thread is going to go beyond 200 pages without a single link between United and the player, even in the tabloids.

Abraxas

It is baffling how this thread is going to go beyond 200 pages without a single link between United and the player, even in the tabloids.
I think Rice's performances and the very divergent views have become more of a topic than the likelihood of any transfer at this stage!

I do think he's somebody on the radar though, it would be bizarre if he wasn't because of the profile of the player. I would say he's somebody we have an eye on. But clearly there isn't any movement this summer.

lex talionis

The United

I doubt it matters anyway this year.

We probably don't have enough money to sign a decent midfielder unless we sell a couple first.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I doubt it matters anyway this year.

We probably don't have enough money to sign a decent midfielder unless we sell a couple first.
Sell Dalot, Jones, Lingaard, James and Martial. That should be enough for Rice (even though I would not want him here).

Dalot 20m
Jones 5m
Lingaard 25m
Martial 35m
=85m Euros

KennyBurner

I come on here once a day and sigh when I see this glorified centerback still being heavily discussed. He is not what we need, end of discussion!

Blood Mage

I'm not sure what the definition of a "link" is, but there's been a lot of media speculation about United and Rice.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/06/rio-...ielder-instead-of-eduardo-camavinga-14882535/

Rio Ferdinand urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice instead of Eduardo Camavinga
Rio is one of my all time favourite United players but my god does he come across as being a bit thick at times. Sad to see how bad he and Scholes are at punditry despite having been phenomenal footballers.

bosskeano

I'm not sure what the definition of a "link" is, but there's been a lot of media speculation about United and Rice.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/06/rio-...ielder-instead-of-eduardo-camavinga-14882535/

Rio Ferdinand urges Manchester United to sign Declan Rice instead of Eduardo Camavinga
Rio is one of my all time favourite United players but my god does he come across as being a bit thick at times. Sad to see how bad he and Scholes are at punditry despite having been phenomenal footballers.

it's not really that surprising that Rio would want United to sign an english player

CallyRed

Agent Shaw currently in Mykonos with Declan Rice, whispering in his ear perhaps?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Agent Shaw currently in Mykonos with Declan Rice, whispering in his ear perhaps?
Doesnt Shaw have a wife and kid now? How's he been allowed to go on a lads holiday after being away with England for over a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.