Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

My biggest problem with Phillips was that in the Euro's we didn't see him play like Yorkshire Pirlo.

No passing at all.
I think the Leeds fans had their tongues very firmly planted within their cheeks when they came up with that misnomer. I guess at Championship level he probably did look a level above.

He does clip some appealing looking long balls a couple of times a game. But they are very slowly done, civilisations have risen and fallen by the time he picks it out.

Good player but not for us. He could be Liverpool's new Henderson I think.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I've watched Rice for England and he's looked great. Would love him in a United shirt, miles better than our current options and I've never understood why people rate him so poorly here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great defending there as well. Like prime Bale!

TwoSheds

I've watched Rice for England and he's looked great. Would love him in a United shirt, miles better than our current options and I've never understood why people rate him so poorly here.
Because he's not even a better player than Phillips who himself is nothing special.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Because he's not even a better player than Phillips who himself is nothing special.
Phillips is also a good player. There's a reason England and West Ham are doing very well at the minute and it ain't Southgate. Not saying Rice is solely responsible

MadMike

Phillips is also a good player. There's a reason England and West Ham are doing very well at the minute and it ain't Southgate. Not saying Rice is solely responsible
I'd say it has more to do with England's immense options in attack and defence, than their midfield. The midfield is without a doubt the weakest area of the team.

TwoSheds

Can I ask what it is about these players that makes them special?
Quite a wide range of things given they're all different players. Main common thread would be that they're good at playing DM as opposed to middling.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good to see that Rice so far is true to his word when he said that this season he would take more risks and show people that there’s more to his game

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don’t understand how he’s still so underrated on here. Exactly the player that we need in my opinion

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I like him a lot, he’s going to get better with age and experience too. We will kick ourselves if we lose out in my opinion

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Just a video to show some stats & bits on his progressive passing and dribbling

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Rice fans, if I give you some general categories for footballing attributes, how would you rate him out of 10 in each?

Ball winning / tackling:
Heading:
Passing:
Touch/technique/skill:
Shooting:
Attitude:
Pace/physical:

GueRed

Saw someone on here compare him to John O'Shea the other day :D

People who dont rate him probably havent watched him for more than a few england games tbf

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's actually very good on the ball for a player that is deployed as the most defensive minded midfielder. His ability to retain possession and recycle the ball with either foot is very impressive. I think he's gonna end up at either Chelsea or United.

But if he does end up at United, then I'm hoping we make a effort in trying to balance the midfield out with a more creative #8 next to him, who also has the ability to also drop in as a #6 without the ball.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not his biggest fan, but seems like a great guy with room to improve. Would have him here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The more you watch him the more you realise that he is press resistant.

I absolutely love watching that side of his game.

Bondi77

I think we will turn his head this season and then make our move and try and keep the fee as low as possible.

Bondi77

He's actually very good on the ball for a player that is deployed as the most defensive minded midfielder. His ability to retain possession and recycle the ball with either foot is very impressive. I think he's gonna end up at either Chelsea or United.

But if he does end up at United, then I'm hoping we make a effort in trying to balance the midfield out with a more creative #8 next to him, who also has the ability to also drop in as a #6 without the ball.
Do you think VDB is up to that task?

GueRed

I think we will turn his head this season and then make our move and try and keep the fee as low as possible.
I think his head is turned already.

He's 100% committed to West Ham this season though.

Next summer he'll move. To where remains to be seen.

If Ole's genuinely interested Agent England-United players would've had a word already.

Next : an unofficial approach....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do you think VDB is up to that task?
VdB could be upto the task but I feel we can aim higher. Someone like Bellingham or Camavinga (I know he's joined Madrid) look to have the profile of the player I have in mind. But we also have young Hannibal Mejbri who I would like to see given a opportunity to, if/when he's considered ready for the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.