Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wouldn't improve us based on that performance. Our midfield, which is far from being good enough, dominated them. An out of form Fred and a McTominay who's just come back from injury and obviously wasn't 100%.

I think we need better.

OrcaFat

He was good. Not everyone agrees but he’s top of the player ratings on the BBC again.

He would transform us. Not so much by the brilliant things he does (which, I appreciate, are not especially eye catching) but more by the shit things he doesn’t do and he will man-up the midfield and those around him will shine. Anyone who thinks that’s not enough has, perhaps, forgotten this is a team game.

arnie_ni

Thought he was overran for large parts of it. Fell back into his shell of hiding between the CB as the game went on.
Came to say the same. We got the ball into Bruno and ronnie at will in the first half. I wouldn't buy him based on that performance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I didn't really see him stand out against us today either, he's the chosen one though by all accounts so only a matter of time before we spend the money to get him

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I like him, good player that will always do his job, done pretty much 100% instructions given by Southgate on Euros. The real problem is West Ham with unrealistic valuation.

If they keep up with that fee level, we could be forced looking somewhere else.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yesterday I watched Crystal Palace vs Liverpool & CP were consistently going through their midfield until they reach the penalty box when benteke would fall on his own feet.

It's weird how people assume that no one gets through and has chances against these top CDM.

redshaw

Looks a bit uncomfortable with his feet again after a run forward, he did for England and the same today. Not the main part of his game of course. McTom with some great forward passing. As defensive cover and to not offer much else he's fairly decent and could've improve his attacking, depends what people want. I didn't see an 80-100m defensive midfielder stopping us though against our lot.

TrueRed79

He's better than Fred. Therefore improves our midfield. Agree with everything Keane said before the game. Fred has good aspects to his game but is not the standard of CM starter for a team like us. Rice has a presence and his first touch is better than Freds. Doesn't give the ball away as much and doesn't fall over like a turnip all game like Fred.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rice was decent today but not too much more than that. I still find it strange that people are throwing around numbers like £100m for this lad. Some of his covering was worth watching today. Took up good positions and snuffed out a few of our attacks. However, I didn't see anything particularly special and he looked like he got vertigo high up the pitch.

Wing Attack Plan R

We need to be aiming higher. Rice is a great fit for West Ham. He reminds me of post-injury Tom Cleverley. Good player, not great, will not transform this side, I mean Fred has to go, no question, and almost anyone we bring in should be an improvement, but Rice is no 80m player, and we really need to be looking elsewhere.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Am I the only way who hasn't notice him much today? He has made 1 tackle and 2 interceptions today, with 0 contribution in attacking. His passing is solid, nothing adventurous or progressive, but just play safe and solid. Whoscore gives him rating of 6.30 though, only ranked 7th in his team. I don't see him offering more than McFred to be very honest. Maybe a good option to rotate with McFred, that's about it.

MadMike

He's better than Fred. Therefore improves our midfield. Agree with everything Keane said before the game. Fred has good aspects to his game but is not the standard of CM starter for a team like us. Rice has a presence and his first touch is better than Freds. Doesn't give the ball away as much and doesn't fall over like a turnip all game like Fred.
That’s not an endorsement on Rice. You can say that about quite a few players all of which will cost a lot less than Rice.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hahaha the overhype is extraordinary. To think Rice and Soucek is soo much better than Fred and Mctominay that we win this game easily is laughable.

what’s with the hyping of other teams players that we constantly downplay ours?We literally dominated their middle but yet their middle is miles better then ours? Make it make sense.
We didn't dominate their midfield at all but rather they setup to stifle us by sitting in a low/midblock. Which is understandable considering the attacking players we have at our disposal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His passing isn't anything amazing but he is notably two-footed, which helps him stay tidy as he can make passes off angles that would otherwise be difficult, I think. Helps with his press resistance too.

His ability to break forward running with the ball is also a nice aspect of his game.

As always it's about the price though. The vast majority here would have no problem adding him for whatever they think a reasonable price is but he may well cost more than that.

Realistically I think whoever buys him is going to pay a fairly eye-watering amount but hope the decade or so of football you'd get from him will make it a good signing in the long run.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’s a good player, but also massively overrated and doesn’t deserve the price tag West Spam put on him. And for all his qualities, signing him won’t help us control games any better, we lack a metronome passer who can dictate the game and recycle possession effectively, and that ain’t Rice. If we do sign him then we must still find that passer to play alongside him, or our inability to build play will remain, just with a bit added defensive solidity.
The term 'overrated' is the most overused term among fans I've ever come across.

We need both a solid DM aswell as a playmaker. We have a young metronome already at the club in Hannibal who should be given a opportunity IMO before we look at external options like Bellingham who Dortmund have given a opportunity to, hence now our fans want him.

TrueRed79

That’s not an endorsement on Rice. You can say that about quite a few players all of which will cost a lot less than Rice.
Every man and his cat knows Rice isn't worth the price being quoted. Therefore, theres not a chance in my opinion that he goes for anywhere near the value WH have put on him. He's even come out and said it himself(not that it really matters obvs).

Giggsforever

He had 15 minutes in the first half he harassed AWB, other than that it was a ok match from him. Good at making quick passes forward past our midfield, which we miss in our team.

Red00012

Just because he’s better than Fred doesn’t mean he’s the one to sort out our midfield problems

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Am I the only way who hasn't notice him much today? He has made 1 tackle and 2 interceptions today, with 0 contribution in attacking. His passing is solid, nothing adventurous or progressive, but just play safe and solid. Whoscore gives him rating of 6.30 though, only ranked 7th in his team. I don't see him offering more than McFred to be very honest. Maybe a good option to rotate with McFred, that's about it.
exactly.

people in here are talking like he put on a master class. he was invisible in the first half and barely did anything of note in the 2nd.

one late run up the pitch has 90% of this thread creaming their knickers :lol:

I hope west ham want 250m after this game

Highfather_24

He will be a good replacement for Matic for 40-50M. Anything more than that is just not worth it imo. If West Ham value him that highly, they should reflect that on his wages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
West Ham looked leggy today and conceded midfield territory and he was a part of that so I don't think it should be quite this glowing.

But he did play a few nice passes, worked his arse off and he dribbled successfully on a number of occasions which was impressive. Clearly not as inhibited for West Ham as he is under Southgate.
Was banging that drum all summer but no one listening, instead everyone is convinced by what they see under Sur Bore of Dom is the normal game

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was about as good as Scott today, not sure what people are seeing?

We had tonnes of chances, record attempts in the first half for this season alone.

Couple of decent interceptions but some were from awful passing from Fred and one galloping run up the pitch don’t really do it for me.

Better defensive version of Scott. Would get in our team as a DM but that’s more of an indictment of the fact we have no DM other than Matic.
Yeah I don't quite get it either. He's a simple passer who keeps the ball moving, but i'm not convinced Fred or McTom don't so similar.

We don't play with a defensive mid, so i could see the same complaints coming about him as our other guys.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Was banging that drum all summer but no one listening, instead everyone is convinced by what they see under Sur Bore of Dom is the normal game
Just posted in the Post Match thread after coming back from watching the game live.

He is quality and with good to world class players around him, he'd be far more effective. As it stands, he carried the WH midfield. Soucek was anonymous and should never be considered for Utd. Yes he got outplayed at times by McT but that should be a vilification of those who think he doesn't offer us anything. He was very effective because he had quality to pass it to. Rice did not have the same outlet. 2/3 time he found the flanks with 40 yard passes but not a lot came from them. That was down to good defensive organisation from us. He ran himself into the ground with his runs and I'd love to see him to do that for us and lay it off to one of our attackers instead of Antonio or Bowen

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
And again -

People see that Moyes's West Ham being dominated by Ole's United is a sign of a bad CDM when it's clearly a tactic that west ham play against us.

Nearly every team sits back vs us but when West Ham do it then its somehow Rice playing shit and Soucek playing better apparently?

People just don't see his interception ability, his repositioning, hjs ability to cover the gaps whenever the West ham ayers go forward, his improved progressive passes as a 22 year old CDM etc.

Hopefully we can get him for about 60-65 mil.

dutchred

he does not give us any more than Mac. We need a good back up for Mac (not Fred) and ole needs to have the courage to play a midfield of Bruno, Mac and Paul. Paul and Bruno need to accept their defensive responsibilities. If we sign Rice will he replace both Fred and Mac so we have a midfield of Rice, Paul and Bruno or do we have Rice, Mac, Paul and Bruno.
We have potentially the most potent attack in the PL but because we play a midfield 4 we only play 2 forwards. Paul is a midfielder not a left winger.

Devil may care

Tbh with you mate I'm still on board the Tchouameni train, I really like him as a player. Both Tchouameni and Rice are showing a maturity beyond their years in a role on the pitch that is very important in the modern game. I'd be happy with either player at United.

Van de Beek as a inbetween is more than good enough IMO if the plan is to have Hannibal as the long-term play maker for the role. And that's just my opinion mate and I've never really been a big fan of Tielesman and feel we could save a good chunk of money which could go towards improving other areas if we made a effort in developing Hannibal. But maybe Solskjaer might prefer signing Tielesman.

Rice is superior to McTominay on the ball and is comfortable on either foot. Rice is actually a metronome compared to McTominay and doesn't hide on the ball unlike McTominay who we've seen go missing on the ball and have minimal touches in games where people on this forum have brought it up. The Leicester game away from home was just one example where he was hiding behind blue shirts and the stats proved it.

I honestly don't know too much about Kamara from Marseille. But from what I've read about him he hasn't maintained his early promise and could be available on a free transfer next summer.
With Tchouameni i feel he'd be a lot better value at half the price, Rice is going to cost Maguire money when he should cost closer to AWB money in my view.

I know you're a big fan of Hannibal mate and I really like his potential but I don't see Ole playing him in the double pivot for 2 or 3 seasons yet as he's too cautious, and I don't think a Rice/VdB double pivot will get us anywhere in the meantime. Tielemans might not be the right pick but I think we'll need someone brought in to bridge the gap or be stuck with a Rice/McTominay double pivot.

The terms overrated and overhyped are used a lot in this thread and are applicable to McTominay, he turned into Bryan Robson while he was out for a few weeks because Fred and Matic were so bad, to me he's a different type of midfielder to begin with.

I noticed Kamara was on a free and Marseille doesn't seem the most stable environment to progress in at the moment, might be worth it on a free or for a small fee in January.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is he better than Fred? Absolutely.

Is he worth stupid money like 80m plus. Not convinced. Must be somebody out in Europe who can do that role for half the cost.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he’s a terrific footballer, 80/100 million would be too much for anyone not scoring 30 goals a season though imo. I thought he was really good today, regularly won the ball and played it calmly to a teammate. Does his job really well

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't see it with him and just based on today. He's a good player, but I don't see him taking us to that next level and for the money they will want from, I think we could do better.

Suedesi

Dominated by two out of sorts midfielders. I'm sure a couple of lung busting runs will convince some he was brilliant though. He's just quite average every time I watch him.
Exactly - and after that run he was so out of breath, he refused to run back and waited it out in our half. Some engine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.