Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

I think if we swapped our two midfielders with their two, we'd have won comfortably.
If the match was refereed by a competent ref, we'd have won comfortably. Two clear penalties denied. Ran rings around them all first half, they were lucky to even be in the game. Decline the Rice.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The guy runs West Ham’s MF. Imagine how good he could be sandwiched between our defence and Pogba and Bruno. Would absolutely transform our team even if he is somewhat unspectacular.

MadMike

Is he better than Fred? Absolutely.

Is he worth stupid money like 80m plus. Not convinced. Must be somebody out in Europe who can do that role for half the cost.
Never mind Europe. There’s people in the EPL who would do it for half the cost. Bissouma, who has been a revelation for Brighton, will be entering his final year in the summer and will be available for less than 50m.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If the match was refereed by a competent ref, we'd have won comfortably. Two clear penalties denied. Ran rings around them all first half, they were lucky to even be in the game. Decline the Rice.
I'm not sure about that, but I do believe we have a superior team to West Ham and the money we've spent in comparison is testament to that. But if the midfield on either side was flipped, then Rice and Soucek would be playing higher up the pitch.

Abraxas

Never mind Europe. There’s people in the EPL who would do it for half the cost. Bissouma, who has been a revelation for Brighton, will be entering his final year in the summer and will be available for less than 50m.
It's not clear they're similar players. There was a piece that came out in the summer that our recruitment like Bissouma but don't think he's what they're looking for.

Maybe Ole is transitioning away from this idea of two box to box players to more defined roles.

MDFC Manager

I still don't see it in him. Nothing extraordinary and we really should be doing better given we've waited for so long.

MDFC Manager

Exactly this. If we'd run away with the game, as we would have with competent refereeing, this thread would have been a lot quieter.

MadMike

It's not clear they're similar players. There was a piece that came out in the summer that our recruitment like Bissouma but don't think he's what they're looking for.

Maybe Ole is transitioning away from this idea of two box to box players to more defined roles.
It would make sense if we didn’t play 4-2-3-1.

We have a dedicated CAM playing like a second striker striker and then we’ll have a dedicated CDM protecting, and then all the playmaking, pressing, harassing will be done by the other CM? Who is that player? Pogba?

Suedesi

Some people have their own opinions and stick to them for a reason.

We keep hearing this "does better for better clubs" but he does nothing for England either.

He's a player that excels without the ball - West Ham don't want possession.

What's he going to be like for us in a similar situation? just crabbing sideways passes isn't going to cut it.
He plays with better players in the national team - he never stands out for me. Not in the way Kante or Pogba for example stand out for France.

Love the crabbing sideways passes comment - what a turn of phrase, absolutely love it.

SungSam7

Chelsea or any complete idiots are welcome to him. Over hyped, only meaning full recognition he has ever been part of was the tug of war between ROI and England.

Would rather McTominay for now, wait for someone else.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With Tchouameni i feel he'd be a lot better value at half the price, Rice is going to cost Maguire money when he should cost closer to AWB money in my view.

I know you're a big fan of Hannibal mate and I really like his potential but I don't see Ole playing him in the double pivot for 2 or 3 seasons yet as he's too cautious, and I don't think a Rice/VdB double pivot will get us anywhere in the meantime. Tielemans might not be the right pick but I think we'll need someone brought in to bridge the gap or be stuck with a Rice/McTominay double pivot.

The terms overrated and overhyped are used a lot in this thread and are applicable to McTominay, he turned into Bryan Robson while he was out for a few weeks because Fred and Matic were so bad, to me he's a different type of midfielder to begin with.

I noticed Kamara was on a free and Marseille doesn't seem the most stable environment to progress in at the moment, might be worth it on a free or for a small fee in January.
Tbh with you mate, i'd be happy with either player. I do believe Tchouameni will be cheaper but not sure how cheaper, now that he's a French International. I'm gonna guess he will be £50m. Rice will possibly go for over £60m if he pushes for the move which is a possibility if reports about him not being happy about the valuation placed on him by West Ham are anything to go by.

I don't know what Solskjaer is trying to do with that midfield. because currently our midfield would be outplayed comfortably against the best teams in Europe who won't sit back like West Ham did. We will resort to ceding the midfield and look to counter.

I hope he gives Hannibal a chance because I want to see some class and guile on display and having a Tchouameni/Rice next to such a talented player will potentially bring out the best in him and provide some potential excitement for fans who like watching players who have the x-factor in midfield.

Kamara on a free could be a good move IMO. Low risk high reward type of signing who could be signed in January for a potentially low fee.

Maxii

Paad
I was very impressed with Norgaard for Brentford yesterday, has anyone watched him consistently? Looked a better player than Rice but as I said I haven’t been paying much attention to him before so don’t know if that kind of performance is the norm

LoneStar

I'll admit I haven't watched much of him, but based on today's game, I am struggling to understand why he is quoted at 80M or more. He is a decent CDM, with limited passing ability. I don't see him dictating games like Carrick or even prime Matic do. Worth 40M or 50 at a stretch.

We'll be playing teams who shut shop most of the time, can't see him making that 80M player impact to unlock those defences at all.

Robertd0803

I still think that playing at a higher level he will end up being an even better player.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'll admit I haven't watched much of him, but based on today's game, I am struggling to understand why he is quoted at 80M or more. He is a decent CDM, with limited passing ability. I don't see him dictating games like Carrick or even prime Matic do. Worth 40M or 50 at a stretch.

We'll be playing teams who shut shop most of the time, can't see him making that 80M player impact to unlock those defences at all.
English tax.

I saw him in the flesh at West Ham vs Palace the other week, and he was completely like today...one dimensional. If the attack goes near him, he has great positioning and will likely break it up. But if and when it bypasses him, like then and at many times today, he's hasn't a clue where to go and ends up in circles.

Kostov

He’s one of the best CDM around, we need one. Playing Fred and McT and we are still absolute disaster through the middle. Rice would change that imo.

SeanyC

Bar that long run he made in the second half didn’t see much to justify 80/100mill for him. Better CDM’s out there and I hope we have a list of cheaper options being looked at.

AneRu

Can’t we get him and Neves both? One can hold and the other can make the passes. We probably need 2 midfielders anyway since Matic is on his last legs, Fred is shit and VDB does not start.
Neves doesn't have the required mobility to be a success as an 8 at United, his best best chance would be as a less talented Carrick next to a McTominay breaking up play higher up the pitch.

If we sign Rice, which we will certainly attempt to next summer, I'd like for us to promote a playmaker from within - either Garner or Hannibal. Rice would be enough to provide cover for any defensive naivety but the team will benefit in being able to progress play up the pitch. Then McTominay comes in against the stronger teams to help us shut shop.

Jibbs

He is that old school midfielder that plays the kind of football Ole tries to play, so I think we will go for him... Ole struggles with intricate one touch passing midfielders like VdB and Pogba(who still has not found his right position in.the team.albeit performing amazingly well).

Litch

He’s one of the best CDM around, we need one. Playing Fred and McT and we are still absolute disaster through the middle. Rice would change that imo.
How did we get to second last year with such a absolute disaster? How many times have we beaten city home and away? Would Ole play players that ultimately cost him his job? .......he's not played others for less or shown them the door.

The guy runs West Ham’s MF. Imagine how good he could be sandwiched between our defence and Pogba and Bruno. Would absolutely transform our team even if he is somewhat unspectacular.
He wouldn't change anything. Despite the position title of defensive midfielder, what we need is not a midfielder to defend, we already have perfectly good ones of those in Fred and Mctominay. What we need is a player who will take a recovered ball and move it forward quickly. Rice is not that player.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He wouldn't change anything. Despite the position title of defensive midfielder, what we need is not a midfielder to defend, we already have perfectly good ones of those in Fred and Mctominay. What we need is a player who will take a recovered ball and move it forward quickly. Rice is not that player.
Tchouameni for me is that player

bosskeano

Anyone that would consider paying 80m for him would have to be absolutely mental.....he's not worth more than 30m and wouldn't add much more to this squad than what we already have

DarkXaero

Good player but not worth anywhere near the price quoted for him. If we got him for 80 million, it would be a Maguire/AWB level overpay. English tax is very real and should be avoided as much as possible. There are good DM options available out there at half the price.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He always play well against us. Those defensive works he did and vital interception are really annoying to watch when he plays against us. He also has pace to drive the ball forward. He is one of their main man indeed and I dare to say he is one of their player who is vital for West Ham being good all of sudden last season and this season, almost remind me of prime Matic at Chelsea and probably has bigger potential than Matic.

izec

Bissouma and Leicester's Ndidi are a few notches above Rice.
Not sure about Bissouma, as i don't watch Brighton a lot, but Ndidi is not much better at all. I think Rice is better on the ball, hence better suited to us.

Sniggleton

This guy is the definition of English players hype...
England players suck balls. God, when's the last time there was a decent one? feck is it Frank Lampard?? David Beckham? English players have been trash for 25 years. Maybe a teenage Michael Owen but OMG scraping the bottom of the pan.

Mr Smith

On today's evidence, I'd say hes worth 50mil and if e could get him for that price I'd take it.

For those asking how he's worth 80mil; he's not, and not even West Ham think he is. This summer he had 3 yrs left on his contract, so that price tag was a "not for sale sign". Once they're actually prepared to sell that price will drop.

Litch

He's the midfield version of Maguire. Looks better in another teams shirt, gets here and is good but not WC and certainly not 80m. In the same way Jesse looked good in a West Ham shirt, Scott is just a version of Rice. A good season for West Ham is mid table, you game looks a lot better when that's the only pressure you have to deal with....ask David Moyes that compared to managing Utd.

Red Bilko

England players suck balls. God, when's the last time there was a decent one? feck is it Frank Lampard?? David Beckham? English players have been trash for 25 years. Maybe a teenage Michael Owen but OMG scraping the bottom of the pan.
The England team must of fluked getting to the final of the Euros this year and the semis of the last world cup then? Maybe the players are a little better than 'trash'?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The England team must of fluked getting to the final of the Euros this year and the semis of the last world cup then? Maybe the players are a little better than 'trash'?
This is what he posted in the Clint Dempsey thread back in the day, so you can discount his assessment of players.

i actually think he'd be quite a sage buy. we're losing berbatov and probably owen as well, and that leaves us with roo + chicharito + welbeck as the only options up front. i don't think kiko's impressed enough to come back strongly, so another true goalscorer, especially one who can do a job in a variety of positions, would be a welcome addition.

god forbid rooney gets a knock or worse, who can do that job? having a player who can (on his best day) approximate what rooney delivers wouldn't be such a bad problem, and i think his age actually benefits us as he's done the week-in, week-out bit and is now probably mostly interested in snatching a medal or two before calling time on his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.