Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say he was persuaded by the manager more than his agent. Sign on for an improved salary, we'll let you go for a good offer which will suit all parties.

You can't blame West Ham or the player. He's able to improve without being under the spotlight and he knows he'll end up at another club eventually
The same way Zaha eventually will get his move?

A seven year contract means he could wait a very long time for it.

A-man

He plays in a double pivot more due to the managers he plays for. Southgate and Moyes; whilst the way he plays is actually much more like an anchor man that shield 2 CB's behind him and 2 CM's in front - ie the triangles of the 433.

This is why we hope that he can come and switch Ole (who has also been a double pivot guy at United/not all the time at Molde) to a 433.

The one thing I will say though is that even in a double pivot I notice that Soucek gets a crap load of freedom to get up and down to the pitch and really have a go at attacking. It's still a double pivot, but one of the pivot is at the other end of the pitch quite some times. Whilst I hope it doesn't happen- if the 4231 does stick and Rice gets stuck in a double pivot with Pogba (the younger quicker version of Matic Pogba partnership) - then I can see Pogba getting forward and really having a go at attacking even in a double pivot because Rice does his duties of shielding the defence first and foremost before anything else and will be there covering alot of players that have left for an attack.
I guess you’re right. I personally think a double pivot works well for us as a concept (but players not good enough), as it means the fullbacks and the 4 up front can focus more on the attack and dont need to hold back, waste energy on running back all the time etc. Plus I believe Maguire needs it to. Ring out his strengths and protect us from his weaknesses. His best games have been in that kind of setup. With Rice it would just mean controlling the midfield better, playing more progressively, and allowing both DMs to join attack more often. I should say I’m not an expert in Rice’s strengths and weaknesses, but I’ve been impressed from what I’ve seen.

Son

Sit him next to a playmaker like how Keane and Scholes used to compliment each other we’ve got gold.

Not under the current manager though. Ole isn’t helping us control any game as boss. A playmaker and Rice will be perfect when the team plays more as a unit (different tactics - different manager).

Can even just use VDB next to him who might be able to string the shorter passes together and control tempo.

Kaos

He plays in a double pivot more due to the managers he plays for. Southgate and Moyes; whilst the way he plays is actually much more like an anchor man that shield 2 CB's behind him and 2 CM's in front - ie the triangles of the 433.

This is why we hope that he can come and switch Ole (who has also been a double pivot guy at United/not all the time at Molde) to a 433.

The one thing I will say though is that even in a double pivot I notice that Soucek gets a crap load of freedom to get up and down to the pitch and really have a go at attacking. It's still a double pivot, but one of the pivot is at the other end of the pitch quite some times. Whilst I hope it doesn't happen- if the 4231 does stick and Rice gets stuck in a double pivot with Pogba (the younger quicker version of Matic Pogba partnership) - then I can see Pogba getting forward and really having a go at attacking even in a double pivot because Rice does his duties of shielding the defence first and foremost before anything else and will be there covering alot of players that have left for an attack.
Pogba will likely be gone before we see how well he does with Rice in a midfield two IMO. If anything we'd probably see him in a two with McTominay.

davidmichael

This is what I’ve been saying for at least a year or so, Rice is a pure out and out defensive midfielder who’s sole job and best role is simply shielding the defence and allowing other players to go forward.

Yes he plays in a two man midfield with Soucek but Soucek always has licence to go forward and is always safe in doing so because of Rice behind him so Pogba could do the same but even better because Pogba is a far better player than Soucek, having Rice in front of Varane and Maguire would create a 4-3-3 that could basically be a back 5 and front 5 with a higher line but it’s if Ole has the balls to play a 4-3-3 even though he’d have the players.

I think a starting 11 of De Gea, AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fernandes, Rice, Pogba, Greenwood, Ronaldo and Rashford with Henderson, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Telles, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Sancho, Diallo and Martial in reserve is perfectly balanced as a squad but again it’d be whether Ole could get it right tactically which I unfortunately don’t think he can.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The same way Zaha eventually will get his move?

A seven year contract means he could wait a very long time for it.
Your comparing a one trick pony who can’t get a move from Palace for love or money and one of England’s most promising young midfielders who’s an international and rather coveted IIRC.

Yeah it compares with Zaha

Idxomer

I have to admit that he looks to have added more to his passing and overall game this season.

If he keeps it up, Chelsea might actually take him back.

SAF is the GOAT

Fabrizio Romano was a guest today in Rio's podcast today on "vibe with five" and he said there that United's targets are obviously Rice, Neves and Tsouameni

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Your comparing a one trick pony who can’t get a move from Palace for love or money and one of England’s most promising young midfielders who’s an international and rather coveted IIRC.

Yeah it compares with Zaha
Zaha has had, and probably still has, more value than rice.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Zaha has had, and probably still has, more value than rice.
Never get why Zaha has ever been rated so highly. His highest goal tally is 11 (last season), in a team where he is the main man. I'm not the biggest Rice fan, but it's quite clear Rice has played at a much higher level than Zaha ever did at his age.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Zaha has stagnated whereas rice is on the up. So I don’t agree that zaha has more value
The point is that big clubs actually wanted to sign him and were priced out because Zaha signed a long contract with a club that didn't need to sell.

Yet there are posters here claiming Rice's seven year contract is totally different. Apparently because Rice is better?

redshaw

The more he improves and gets praise the more I think Chelsea or City will just pay the top dollar under the current climate of no ffp.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The point is that big clubs actually wanted to sign him and were priced out because Zaha signed a long contract with a club that didn't need to sell.

Yet there are posters here claiming Rice's seven year contract is totally different. Apparently because Rice is better?
Someone will meet a compromise with WH
To quote Fergie “there’s no doot abou tha”

GueRed

Just scored for West Ham

"The English Morgan Schneiderlin" according to some on here.:lol:

Clueless.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rapid Vienna are an amazing team tbf... better even than Zagreb!

GueRed

Quality player no question.

Defensively sound, with that has a great sense of danger
Good positional sense.
Athletic.
Always shows for the ball.
Is getting forward a lot more and has added more to his game
Still 22yrs old with plenty scope for improvement
A leader
A Midfielder

nah dont need him

lloyd2wayne

Just scored for West Ham

"The English Morgan Schneiderlin" according to some on here.:lol:

Clueless.
He scored so? He’s the best thing since slice bread. Get out of here with your English hype, always hyping English players like they are the next best thing.
100 million player my bum

OrcaFat

He is getting better and better.

For all the things he’d bring which are so badly lacking in our CM, we have to get this guy.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not to piss on everyone's chips, but they're second from bottom of the Austrian Bundesliga

Walters_19_MuFc

Another solid performance from the lad tonight.

I just don't know how people can watch him and call him average. He'd be our most consistent midfielder if he was playing for us, and I'm including Pogba and Bruno in that.

Walters_19_MuFc

He scored so? He’s the best thing since slice bread. Get out of here with your English hype, always hyping English players like they are the next best thing.
100 million player my bum
This is the problem. People like you are blinded by his price tag. Come away from that a bit if you can, and judge him based on the way he plays. If so, I find it hard to believe you don't think he's a good player.

Maniron

This is the problem. People like you are blinded by his price tag. Come away from that a bit if you can, and judge him based on the way he plays. If so, I find it hard to believe you don't think he's a good player.
This

He is already a superb player and he is adding goals to his game as a CDM. He will be a 10+ goals a season player, and has at least 10 years ahead of him. What value do you put on this potential?

Oh, and he will be England captain in 3 years time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So why mention the league and position of the team? He can only play what's in front of him!
Because it's relevant when people run to this page to affirm their view, after a game against a proper shite team.

I'm not hugely enamoured with him, especially not at the price, but I can see his obvious qualities. I just wouldn't be holding up a game against a team as bad as that as proof of his qualities.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This

He is already a superb player and he is adding goals to his game as a CDM. He will be a 10+ goals a season player, and has at least 10 years ahead of him. What value do you put on this potential?

Oh, and he will be England captain in 3 years time.
Guarantee he will never score 10+ goals and no way will he be England captain in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.