Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's not gonna make a big difference for us in our current plight. We would be better suited to signing a player who is adept at knitting both defense and attack IMO.

OrcaFat

I’m not sure what’s going on with some of the posts in this thread. Nearly every pundit out there is praising him. Hoddle rates him as the best player in the league at the moment (pinch of salt required).

He is not average. He is among the top prospects in the world. I am not exaggerating (most of the posters in this thread will say I am) - he is improving month by month from a player who was already good enough to walk into our team and transform it.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

As good as he is, its a pointless transfer. With our full backs above our wingers and the lads all pressing at different times, anyone in the middle would look clueless multiple times a game. Trying so hard to cover for everyone else, Fred has been deemed the problem at United. Rice would be a flop under this management.

Hammondo

I’m not sure what’s going on with some of the posts in this thread. Nearly every pundit out there is praising him. Hoddle rates him as the best player in the league at the moment (pinch of salt required).

He is not average. He is among the top prospects in the world. I am not exaggerating (most of the posters in this thread will say I am) - he is improving month by month from a player who was already good enough to walk into our team and transform it.
Going over the top for an English player? No never, I will not believe we in England would do that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Far from overrated. He’s a brilliant player, and has been from the very beginning. Closest thing I think I’ve seen to a Roy Keane, who I feel is the level he could strive for if he joined us.

davidmichael

I think Justin Timber at Ajax is better then him
Well maybe we should look at Timber when we need to sign another centre back as Timber is a centre back and Rice is a midfielder, Rice is exactly the type of player we need in midfield and I’ve been saying as such for a good year and a half if not longer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well maybe we should look at Timber when we need to sign another centre back as Timber is a centre back and Rice is a midfielder, Rice is exactly the type of player we need in midfield and I’ve been saying as such for a good year and a half if not longer.
Indeed, likewise. I think we may need two midfielders next summer, although personnel wise, we probably don’t need much else. Rice +1 would please me even if it’s the whole budget. Rice and Bellingham, or, if Ten Hag comes in - perhaps Frenkie, who has endured some difficulties and Barca are skint.

davidmichael

Indeed, likewise. I think we may need two midfielders next summer, although personnel wise, we probably don’t need much else. Rice +1 would please me even if it’s the whole budget. Rice and Bellingham, or, if Ten Hag comes in - perhaps Frenkie, who has endured some difficulties and Barca are skint.
I’ve been championing us offloading ALL deadwood (Dalot, Bailly, Jones, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Chong, Martial and Cavani) and blowing everything on buying both Rice and Bellingham but if we could get Rice and De Jong with Barca’s financial problems I’d be even more ecstatic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve been championing us offloading ALL deadwood (Dalot, Bailly, Jones, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Chong, Martial and Cavani) and blowing everything on buying both Rice and Bellingham but if we could get Rice and De Jong with Barca’s financial problems I’d be even more ecstatic.
Half of that lot will be out of contract anyway but hopefully Newcastle can take the rest off us.

Bwuk

Rice rice baby.

He should be our number 1 target this summer.

I think if Rangnick has a say on transfers we will look elsewhere, i think he’ll find a cheaper option.

cyberman

So if we are moving to pressing then that’s a deep laying DM out of the equation?
Can’t see us going for Rice now

gajender

I think if Rangnick has a say on transfers we will look elsewhere, i think he’ll find a cheaper option.
Not necessarily I don't thing he would be averse to spending big money , he operated that way for Leipzig because their business strategy was designed that way . Classic example is Klopp I would never spend big money on player till he did .

poleglass red

The part he has added to his game this season is running with the ball, he seems so strong when running with it. Developing more and more into a complete midfielder.

Murray3007

my issue with Rice was always he was never good enough on the ball and look uncomfortable most of the time on it, this last 18 months hes improved massively, this season he has added running with the ball as well, would instantly be our best CM if he came here, price is a bit of a issue but the price will almost always be a issue for us and buying players from the richest league in the world.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The part he has added to his game this season is running with the ball, he seems so strong when running with it. Developing more and more into a complete midfielder.
I think he is quite all rounded except one minor flaw which to me is acceptable at the age of 22.

However, I have been thinking about Rangnick & if he would be interested in Rice - I personally don't think so.

People talk about Rice's lower passing ability alot & this is kind of true but miss worded in my opinion.

Rice is actually really good at passing and people who watch him can see that he is able to play long balls out diagonally wide or forward quite well. The only problem is how he plays very deep & tends to not pass it progressively most of the time unless if the West Ham attacking players are properly set up and putting pressure on the opposition.

The people that don't rate him much as a player tends to see this and call him a poor passer - his passing to me is quite good but he picks and chooses the time his good passes can happen.

For me the reason he takes time on his most creative passes but can look average in his more quick passing is due to him being quite a tactical defensive player who is consistently in analysis of both of the opposition and his own teammates position. If West Ham are not set up right in an attacking way with the right defensive way settled - Rice is usually not taking any chances playing quick through balls from deep and just rotating the possesion instead. When it's safer he starts playing more through balls and long switches. This is seen even with his runs; he analyses the position of both his team mates and opposition first before beating the first opposition press and then drives in to clear spaces where the opposition are not there.

As much as ive grown to like the player - I'm not sure if Rangnick will see value in a player who can take time on the ball and look to keep it simple at times too. The only reason I do have a bit of hope is Rangnick's and even potential future managers like Ten Hag and Pochettino have all used CDM/CB hybrid players in 'false' back 3s' that can transition to CB, CDM and CM with and without the ball depending on the current situation of the match.

Mr PG

Declan Rice would look like Harry Maguire if he came here and I’m glad we’re hiring RR as he will save us making a colossal expensive mistake with Rice. Yes he’d be better than our CM’s but he’s not mobile enough as far as Lateral movements. We can get a much cheaper and more mobile midfielder who fits the system better

reddevilz007

With Rangnick, I doubt we’ll be paying 100 mil for Rice.
Rather, we’ll go for players between 20-40 mil.
Edson Alvarez if ETH becomes manager, or Palhinha if it’s Amorim.
Both these players can play CB also.

Dan-Utd

We love to splash a shed load of dollars on a British baller so no doubt this Declan Rice chappy will be 2022's choice.

I just hope if Ralf rang Nick they'd have a chat about this as Butty should put him right and say "Ralf look at the Varane deal, we can get a proven quality player who has won actual trophies for a cheaper price"

The better investments are players from abroad, there are a lot of young foreign players out there who have the same potential while carrying half the price tag.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We love to splash a shed load of dollars on a British baller so no doubt this Declan Rice chappy will be 2022's choice.

I just hope if Ralf rang Nick they'd have a chat about this as Butty should put him right and say "Ralf look at the Varane deal, we can get a proven quality player who has won actual trophies for a cheaper price"

The better investments are players from abroad, there are a lot of young foreign players out there who have the same potential while carrying half the price tag.
That's your opinion.

If you don't want a British club having British players maybe it's might be a bit of a wrong club for you.

Chelsea are the top team and having Hudson Odoi, Chalobah, Chilwell, Loftus Cheek, Mount, Barkley, Reece James - Gilmour, Ampadu, Gallagher on loan.

Man City have walker, Stones, Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Palmer and have let gone of players like Sancho who we have bought.

Liverpool have arguably the best full back partnership- Alexander Arnold, Robertson, Joe Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Curtis Jones, Oxelade chamberlain, Phillips, Elliot, williams

I really dont think it's mad as it's made out to be. Sure there is a cost extra for English players whilst every single transfer gets up by a quarter just for us being interested anyway.

People were crying for Sancho last year at Dortmund and would do the same for Bellingham - but if its a British player from the PL it's a bit of a loss of money?

Whilst players like Pogba go on a free after being a 90 mil transfer? Some players leave us in their prime when we got them there in the first place. Some just completely fail.

I'm not a big fan of this " look outside the British nationality crap" - I could do the same for other countries but wouldn't that be rude?

I'm not even of British heritage but if I wanted to watch a team with majority of spain players or Italian- then I'd spend more time watching La Liga or Serie A.

Kostov

Lots of duds like Fred also, who cost 50m pounds.

saivet

Don’t think RR will be going for Rice. Think that’s the end of this rumour
You never know. Lampard was obsessed with him and then when he was sacked there was talk that it would be the end to Rice to Chelsea but seems Tuchel likes him too.

MadMike

Don’t think RR will be going for Rice. Think that’s the end of this rumour
Leaving out what Rangnick thinks or doesn't think about Rice for a second (an unknown anyway)... what even makes people think that he will be the one making the decision on Rice?

The guy is an interim manager on a 6 month contract and then a consultant afterwards. Come next summer, the new manager might be heavily in favour of Rice. And if the scouts and the technical director (Fletcher) are also for Rice and the owners are willing to stamp up the cash... why do you think RR's voice will carry so much weight that will outweigh all the other voices on this matter? After all the manager, technical director and Vice-Chairman/CEO are the people who will be directly held responsible for the performance of the club, not the consultant.

I'm not even pro-Rice as I think he would be horribly overpriced, but people are talking as if RR is the new Vice-Chairman or something and every future footballing decision will be ultimately his. He will of course have input in many things as consultant, a lot of which might be taken on board. But I don't expect him to have absolute control of the transfers. Not even for the January window when he'll still be the manager/headcoach, nevermind the period after.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Leaving out what Rangnick thinks or doesn't think about Rice for a second (an unknown anyway)... what even makes people think that he will be the one making the decision on Rice?

The guy is an interim manager on a 6 month contract and then a consultant afterwards. Come next summer, the new manager might be heavily in favour of Rice. And if the scouts and the technical director (Fletcher) are also for Rice and the owners are willing to stamp up the cash... why do you think RR's voice will carry so much weight that will outweigh all the other voices on this matter? After all the manager, technical director and Vice-Chairman/CEO are the people who will be directly held responsible for the performance of the club, not the consultant.

I'm not even pro-Rice as I think he would be horribly overpriced, but people are talking as if RR is the new Vice-Chairman or something and every future footballing decision will be ultimately his. He will of course have input in many things as consultant, a lot of which might be taken on board. But I don't expect him to have absolute control of the transfers. Not even for the January window when he'll still be the manager/headcoach, nevermind the period after.
I actually asked in another thread, it’s not inconceivable that he becomes a footballing CEO or Vice CEO.
personally I think that whatever ground work is put in place now will be carried on by the new manager.
rice would need to show that he can become more than just a DM and also up his fitness levels

poleglass red

the plan "hopefully" would be that whatever new manager comes in shares the same ideals as Ragnick and it's a progression of the ideals he installed. Ragnick will play a role in selecting that new manager, so you'd assume his style matches. A lot of people here see it as Ten Hag or Poch, and you could see each of them trying to carry on with the identity that he has tried to implement.

MadMike

the plan "hopefully" would be that whatever new manager comes in shares the same ideals as Ragnick and it's a progression of the ideals he installed. Ragnick will play a role in selecting that new manager, so you'd assume his style matches. A lot of people here see it as Ten Hag or Poch, and you could see each of them trying to carry on with the identity that he has tried to implement.
But even if that's the case and the new manager shares those ideals, what makes you think he won't like Rice specifically. Being a fan or not of Rice is an opinion, not a point of principle. The new manager could share the same ideals and very well believe that Rice can fit well with them.

People are pre-supposing way too much here. That Rangnick won't like Rice or won't think he's a player he can mould to be an integral part of his desired system. That Rangnick will play a pivotal role in future recruitment and might become a sort of CEO/Technical Director. That the next manager will share the same ideals as Rangnick. That if the next manager shares those ideals, he will also share the same (presumably negative) opinion about Rice.

I mean we all have an opinion and that's fine but there's way too much presupposition for my personal liking going on here. I expect Rangnick's opinion on Rice, whatever that is, will only be only one factor among many others when it comes down to whether we go for him or not. And we don't even know what his opinion is.

Last edited:

poleglass red

But even if that's the case and the new manager shares those ideals, what makes you think he won't like Rice specifically. Being a fan or not of Rice is an opinion, not a point of principle. The new manager could share the same ideals and very well believe that Rice can fit well with them.

People are pre-supposing way too much here. That Rangnick won't like Rice or won't think he's a player he can mould to be an integral part of his desired system. That Rangnick will play a pivotal role in future recruitment and might become a sort of CEO/Technical Director. That the next manager will share the same ideals as Rangnick. That if the next manager shares those ideals, he will also share the same (presumably negative) opinion about Rice.

I mean we all have an opinion and that's fine but there's way too much presupposition for my personal liking going on here. I expect Rangnick's opinion on Rice, whatever that is, will only be only one factor among many others when it comes down to whether we go for him or not. And we don't even know what his opinion is.
None of us know Ragnick's views on any player, so right now it's people guessing. Ragnick will have an input on all transfers, he's here to build the club an identity, so young improving players like Rice will definitely be on his radar, as will plenty of others. Re transition of managers from interim to full time, my point is the next manager will be on the same wave length, of course there will be some differences of opinion, but it's not like we are going from Jose to Pep in terms of philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.