Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Two interesting quotes I’ve read from him this morning;

1 that his so called price tag of 100m is “crazy”

2nd thing that he wants to be playing CL as quickly as possible
The biggest and saddest question would be who would he have more chance with? Us or West Ham? There's only 3 teams guaranteed to be playing CL football in the next couple of seasons if there's no unforeseen circumstances but unfortunately we're not one of them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Only watched the highlights but they looked like a completely different team without him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Only watched the highlights but they looked like a completely different team without him.
Thought they gave us a decent game personally. Only a third of the possession but should’ve scored the Lanzini chance.
They didn’t miss him much today.

Bebestation

They did look more dynamic and went toe to toe with Liverpool at Anfield?
I didn't watch the match but the thing that I see the most with Rice is the lack of creativity the opposition gets through the central areas due to Rice's constant re-positioning.

Then on the opposite side is Rice's weaknesses and what people find to be his biggest problem which is the lack of vertical passing.

So them being more dynamic with their attacking ability does make sense.

LJP

I didn't watch the match but the thing that I see the most with Rice is the lack of creativity the opposition gets through the central areas due to Rice's constant re-positioning.

Then on the opposite side is Rice's weaknesses and what people find to be his biggest problem which is the lack of vertical passing.

Self proclaimed one of the best in the world right now, apart from vertical passing.
At which he is rank average.

Mainoldo

He’s grown a lot from two years ago. He passes through the lines well. He’s just not a risky passers. Which I don’t see anything wrong with.

MattofManchester

I'll just keep saying it.

Those who want us to plump an entire budget on a player with clear question marks in his game for a title-aspiring side have learnt nothing from the last 9 years. Absolutely nothing.

It is amazing how so many here bemoan and complain about our post-Ferguson transfers, but yet still share the same narrative as our deluded board.

croadyman

I'll just keep saying it.

Those who want us to plump an entire budget on a player with clear question marks in his game for a title-aspiring side have learnt nothing from the last 9 years. Absolutely nothing.

It is amazing how so many here bemoan and complain about our post-Ferguson transfers, but yet still share the same narrative as our deluded board.
Yeah we need to be looking at the likes of Kamara/Tchouameni and Haidara who would provide better value. I would throw Neves in there too but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up following Traore to Barca.

Last edited:

Bebestation

He’s grown a lot from two years ago. He passes through the lines well. He’s just not a risky passers. Which I don’t see anything wrong with.
I do agree regarding with the passing lines. He doesn't do it because he doesn't want to take risks in dangerous deep areas - yet when West Ham need a goal in the last 10 mins you see him playing differently and taking chances/being more risky with his passes. I just don't mention that because ultimately it can still rightly be seen as a flaw in him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think Rice is great. But I’m less and less convinced he would make sense for us. All that money on one player is one thing. But I also think we should make it a priority getting players in who are quick, nimble and very good technically.

Rice would be great at City, Liverpool or Chelsea. But at Man Utd I think he would end up looking exhausted chasing shadows when we meet good teams.

I do think types like Tchouameni and Haidara would make more sense in the regard.

AFC NimbleThumb

As good a player as he is, another Summer spending the majority of our budget on one player when this squad has so many holes would be doing exactly what we’ve been doing to no success recently.

It will be a shame to miss out but we need to be looking for the next Rice.

Mainoldo

That reason being their second best CB is Grant Hanley who isn't PL level meanwhile they have 3 other good midfielders of which none can play CB
So why don’t they get McGuinn to play CB then. Cause I tell you what if England had Championship CB. They wouldn’t be putting Steven Gerrard there would they. Get a grip.

Based Adnan

So why don’t they get McGuinn to play CB then. Cause I tell you what if England had Championship CB. They wouldn’t be putting Steven Gerrard there would they. Get a grip.
Relax. You're really asking why McGinn doesn't play CB? Have you watched him play? Are you going to ask why Billy Gilmour doesn't play CB next?

Mainoldo

Relax. You're really asking why McGinn doesn't play CB? Have you watched him play? Are you going to ask why Billy Gilmour doesn't play CB next?
Mate they don’t play there because McTominay isn’t considered good enough to either get them dropped or move them out of their main position. The main point was he’s not good enough to get a starting CM spot for Scotland but we think he’s the same level as Declan Rice. Rice can actually play CB but if he was Scottish he’d be captain playing CM.

Based Adnan

Mate they don’t play there because McTominay isn’t considered good enough to either get them dropped or move them out of their main position. The main point was he’s not good enough to get a starting CM spot for Scotland but we think he’s the same level as Declan Rice. Rice can actually play CB but if he was Scottish he’d be captain playing CM.
They don't play there because none of them have the attributes for a CB and they have not played there before. McTominay does have the attributes and played at CB for United a few occasions under Mourinho long before he did for Scotland.

For the record I don't think he's better than Rice but the fact he plays CB for Scotland is due to their lack of options at CB rather than his lack of quality compared to McGregor, Gilmour and Mcginn. I'd also say if Rice was Scottish they're a better side with him at CB and the 3 in midfield than Rice in midfield and having to bring in someone like McKenna or Souttar.

Mainoldo

They don't play there because none of them have the attributes for a CB and they have not played there before. McTominay does have the attributes and played at CB for United a few occasions under Mourinho long before he did for Scotland.

For the record I don't think he's better than Rice but the fact he plays CB for Scotland is due to their lack of options at CB rather than his lack of quality compared to McGregor, Gilmour and Mcginn. I'd also say if Rice was Scottish they're a better side with him at CB and the 3 in midfield than Rice in midfield and having to bring in someone like McKenna or Souttar.
Mate they have options he’s just not that good to get in the midfield and he’s good enough to play CB over some average Scotland CB’s who could probably play league 1. But at the end of the day no Manchester United CM should be second fiddle to Gilmour at Norwich.

He’s played CB like twice If that for us.

United in sin

This is what happens when you fill these players head with nonsense. If you were picking top 10 midfielders in the world he wouldn't even make it on the list.

Too right. He hasn't achieved anything in the game but the sudden fame and constant adulation is obviously getting to his head.

The sad thing is united will most likely go ahead and make him the priority signing this summer. Not to say he isn't a good player. I actually like him but never for the numbers being mooted

Fridge chutney

As good a player as he is, another Summer spending the majority of our budget on one player when this squad has so many holes would be doing exactly what we’ve been doing to no success recently.

It will be a shame to miss out but we need to be looking for the next Rice.
I agree mostly, although i would like us to do both. We need a rebuild and the budget that comes with that. Fix whatever holes need fixing and perhaps we can get Rice for £50-60 or thereabouts.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
McGinn at CB? Are you having a laugh, have you seen the size of him, never mind watched him play?

Mainoldo

I don’t get your point. I’m just saying that asking McGinn to play CB is like asking Fred to play CB
My point is quite simple. Good players don’t get shuffled for McGinn. Darren Fletcher doesnt play CB to accommodate McGinn mate. Scott Mctominay does.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My point is quite simple. Good players don’t get shuffled for McGinn. Darren Fletcher doesnt play CB to accommodate McGinn mate. Scott Mctominay does.
I’m not saying McTominay should be a first team regular, but I’m wondering why versatility is a bad thing? OShea played numerous positions for us and ireland. Where the Scottish manager might want to play him is of concern in my opinion.

Bwuk

you’ve never watched Scotland play, have no understanding of why McTominay plays CB and keep sprouting nonsense on this.

Rice would play CB for Scotland too. We have a decent midfield, but no decent CBs. McTominay plays there as does Tierney, neither of who are CB. Unless you don’t think Tierney is good enough either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not like I rate McTominay but your point makes zero sense. Fletcher played CB to accommodate Gibson.

So Carrick and Fletcher are not good players then?

Chairman Steve

I’d rather take this hypothetical £100m and spend it in 2-3 lower profile players who can improve the squad. We need to hunt for bargains this summer.

pawanraj

I actually don't mind Rice and would like him at Utd - but we need to spend 150m on 7 players, so we can't afford to spend 100m on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.