Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I actually don't mind Rice and would like him at Utd - but we need to spend 150m on 7 players, so we can't afford to spend 100m on one.
We are not going to sign 7 quality players in one summer window anyway. We might need to sign 4-5 players and then sign the rest in the next summer windows.

I tried to play around with this, and I think we can get -62m net spent even if we spend 100m on Rice. Well, this only works if we can get minimum 60m from Rashford assuming PSG want to sign him to replace Di Maria and Mbappe.

Rice = 100m
Raphinha = 45m
Nkunku = 62m (turn him into false 9)
Rudiger = Free
Sam Johnstone = Free

Henderson = 25m
Rashford = 60m
Bissaka = 15m
Bailly = 15m
Tuanzebe = 10m
Pereira = 5m
Matic = 5m
Ronaldo = 10m
Cavani, Lingard, Jones, Pogba & Mata = Free

FerociousCorgis

ughh would hate if we buy yet more overpriced fecking english players. Bring in ETH and have him identify the players he wants, im sure he knows plenty of non english players. Do our damn scouting job and bring in 7 plus players if need be.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
ughh would hate if we buy yet more overpriced fecking english players. Bring in ETH and have him identify the players he wants, im sure he knows plenty of non english players. Do our damn scouting job and bring in 7 plus players if need be.
I am surprised in 2022 it is still the responsibility of the manager to identify talents and bring in players. What do chief scout and football directors do exactly?

Mainoldo

What makes you think ETH doesn’t want Declan Rice. If ETH wants the best who exactly would he want?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What makes you think ETH doesn’t want Declan Rice. If ETH wants the best who exactly would he want?
I didn't want to talk about this but this is true for me.

For me if De Jong is available then Ten Hag goes for him, I think most of the fan base would want this anyway. If not then i can see Ten Hag for Rice and trying to use him as the "false CB" in a back 3 thing Ten Hag used De Jong with during that CL season.

I see him more for Rice for example over someone like Tchouameni no matter who the better player - one I feel is more to Ten Hag's style.

People have listed Rice as a Pochettino player which I don't get. When you consider his Spurs midfielders of Dembele, Wanyama and others- I think Pochettino is more likely to choose a gung ho midfielder like Tchouameni that someone like Rice.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

For me if De Jong is available then Ten Hag goes for him, I think most of the fan base would want this anyway. If not then i can see Ten Hag for Rice and trying to use him as the "false CB" in a back 3 thing Ten Hag used De Jong with during that CL season.

I see him more for Rice for example over someone like Tchouameni no matter who the better player - one I feel is more to Ten Hag's style.

People have listed Rice as a Pochettino player which I don't get. When you consider his Spurs midfielders of Dembele, Wanyama and others- I think Pochettino is more likely to choose a gung ho midfielder like Tchouameni that someone like Rice.
I think Rice actually resembles Dier when he was on top form, so I think Poch would very much like someone like Rice if we said to him we could get him.

Bebestation

I think Rice actually resembles Dier when he was on top form, so I think Poch would very much like someone like Rice if we said to him we could get him.
Maybe, again that's more due to Dier also being a CB/CDM hybrid player rather than a tactic Pochettino was trying to utelise imo.

But when seeing how Rice plays for West Ham as the creator of West Ham's temporary back 3 -

Then watching how Ten Hag has used both important players like Frenkie De Jong and E. Alvarez almost one after each other - to create temporary back 3's aswell.. I think that Rice is more likely to be a Ten Hag player than a Pochettino one.

Shows the back 3 he has used by 2 different players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe, again that's more due to Dier also being a CB/CDM hybrid player rather than a tactic Pochettino was trying to utelise imo.

But when seeing how Rice plays for West Ham as the creator of West Ham's temporary back 3 -

Then watching how Ten Hag has used both important players like Frenkie De Jong and E. Alvarez almost one after each other - to create temporary back 3's aswell.. I think that Rice is more likely to be a Ten Hag player than a Pochettino one.

Shows the back 3 he has used by 2 different players.
Hmm, I wouldn't say Rice is anything like De Jong, skill sets are completely different. I do agree that Alvarez seems very similar in style though - Alvarez maybe slightly more mobile.

Mainoldo

Well this is it. You look at his team now and Rice plays exactly like his DM now. So why people think ETH is going to say no to that signing I don’t know. At the end of the day he will want to be successful and he’ll want the best players for that position. Not the cheap options because the fans have beef with how the club is ran.

De Jong I feel would reject us but I agree. Would be a smart signing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just watching PSG vs Madrid. Would any of these team spend 100m on Rice?

choccy77

If United don't sign Rice, we are gonna get steamed in midfield for the next few years.

Nick.

Just watching PSG vs Madrid. Would any of these team spend 100m on Rice?
PSG definitely should look carefully at him. Their midfield is atrocious and they have needed a quality defensive midfielder for a long time.

Really they should sign him and take Pogba too.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m not saying McTominay should be a first team regular, but I’m wondering why versatility is a bad thing? OShea played numerous positions for us and ireland. Where the Scottish manager might want to play him is of concern in my opinion.
Versatility isn’t a bad thing, a lack of quality is. O’Shea is a better player than McTominay, that’s not to say he’s a world beater but being on the fringe of previous United sides wasn’t an easy feat, McTom gets sold to Sunderland long before John did in a squad of that calibre.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeh. So do you think Madrid will spend 100m on Rice?
I think they will spend it if they don't have Casemiro and Camavinga as well as if Rice wants to comes to Spain. They spent 150m on 29 years old Hazard after all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think they will spend it if they don't have Casemiro and Camavinga as well as if Rice wants to comes to Spain. They spent 150m on 29 years old Hazard after all.
They've always spent much on attacker.
So, I highly doubt it, but you could be right.

pawanraj

We are not going to sign 7 quality players in one summer window anyway. We might need to sign 4-5 players and then sign the rest in the next summer windows.

I tried to play around with this, and I think we can get -62m net spent even if we spend 100m on Rice. Well, this only works if we can get minimum 60m from Rashford assuming PSG want to sign him to replace Di Maria and Mbappe.

Rice = 100m
Raphinha = 45m
Nkunku = 62m (turn him into false 9)
Rudiger = Free
Sam Johnstone = Free

Henderson = 25m
Rashford = 60m
Bissaka = 15m
Bailly = 15m
Tuanzebe = 10m
Pereira = 5m
Matic = 5m
Ronaldo = 10m
Cavani, Lingard, Jones, Pogba & Mata = Free
Don't think we'll get 60m for Rashford, or 15m for Bailly. Ronaldo will probably end up leaving for free. That being said, we can make some of it up with Martial?

If we only sign the players you indicate, after selling players you talked about, we will still have NO #9, only Dalot @ RB, a midfield that still needs addressing (Fred-McTominay-Rice MF is one injury away from nothingness) ... 5 attacking players for 4 attacking places, and no plan B (we only have players to play false 9). I'd much rather buy a solid MF, and a solid #9 for the 100m we spend on Rice.

Bebestation

• Best available defensive presser/box to box - Tchouameni
  • Best available deep lying playmaker- Neves or Caquaret
  • Best available anchorman/Shield protector - Rice

This is personally how I see it and who we go for is dependent on the manager and what strengths we want to build or weaknesses we need to fill.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If Chelsea's sanctions continue past May we have a free run at him.

padzilla

Hipster
Knowing the snake, he will probably sign for a new club and demand a transfer after two or three games.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don't think we'll get 60m for Rashford, or 15m for Bailly. Ronaldo will probably end up leaving for free. That being said, we can make some of it up with Martial?

If we only sign the players you indicate, after selling players you talked about, we will still have NO #9, only Dalot @ RB, a midfield that still needs addressing (Fred-McTominay-Rice MF is one injury away from nothingness) ... 5 attacking players for 4 attacking places, and no plan B (we only have players to play false 9). I'd much rather buy a solid MF, and a solid #9 for the 100m we spend on Rice.
I thought Im being generously low on those values. :lol:

I think we are forgetting how many goals and assists Rashford had scored for us last season and 2 seasons ago. His current transfermarkt market value is 70m. Im being generous to ask 10m less from his market value. We know there is a club who is capable to spend that money on Rashford is PSG to replace Di Maria and Mbappe. Given the amount of goals he scored vs them, they would rate him highly.

I keep Martial because he has no value to sell while Rashford has more value to sell, this gives us 6 attacking players for front three. I consider Lindelof as backup RB, better than Bissaka on the ball and I will keep Williams. Well, Ronaldo's salary is 25m per year, free or no, that's still massive boost to our budget. If Everton spent 25m on Mina then Bailly for 15m is generous from my valuation. If the club wants Rice, it's still achievable with additional of 4 quality players in the summer.

DDG
Dalot Varane Rudiger Shaw
Bruno Rice VDB
Raphinha Nkunku Sancho

Backup keeper: Sam, Heaton
Backup defender: Lindelof, Maguire, Telles, Williams
Backup midfield: Garner, McTominay, Fred
Backup forwards: Diallo, Martial, Elanga

Last edited:

davidmichael

Kamara on a free and Rice transforms our midfield and Rudiger on a free alongside Varane does the same at centre back, Mazraoui on a free and Laird coming back sorts our right problem out too so there’s value out there IF we were clever but that’s the problem as we’re rarely clever but those five players coming in for a combined £100 million is very astute business.

By the looks of it the sanctions for Abramovich aren’t going to be done with in the space of few months so we’ll have a free run at Rice unless City try to get him which I don’t see with Rodri coming into his own and Fernandinho there for another year it’s unlikely they’d be in for Rice.

Josh 76

Kamara on a free and Rice transforms our midfield and Rudiger on a free alongside Varane does the same at centre back, Mazraoui on a free and Laird coming back sorts our right problem out too so there’s value out there IF we were clever but that’s the problem as we’re rarely clever but those five players coming in for a combined £100 million is very astute business.

By the looks of it the sanctions for Abramovich aren’t going to be done with in the space of few months so we’ll have a free run at Rice unless City try to get him which I don’t see with Rodri coming into his own and Fernandinho there for another year it’s unlikely they’d be in for Rice.
Interesting post!

Bebestation

The only reason I want Rice is because when Rice has his best games - not only do the opposition not get a goal, they can even struggle to get a shot on goal.

I just absolutely love that and I have seen it both in this years Euros as well as the PL.

If a manager wants that ability to stop shots at your own goal coming through then they will be looking at Rice.

SAF is the GOAT

The only reason I want Rice is because when Rice has his best games - not only do the opposition not get a goal, they can even struggle to get a shot on goal.

I just absolutely love that and I have seen it both in this years Euros as well as the PL.

If a manager wants that ability to stop shots at your own goal coming through then they will be looking at Rice.
You do realize That not only he played alongside Phillips, England played with 3ATB

Zevvythered

Sorry mate, have you watched Rice play for West Ham??? some claim he plays like Roy Keane, others like Carrick, but you have him playing like a bloody barn door :houllier::houllier::houllier: but imagine that we could start with 11outfield players an no need for a Gk :)

Bebestation

Sorry mate, have you watched Rice play for West Ham??? some claim he plays like Roy Keane, others like Carrick, but you have him playing like a bloody barn door :houllier::houllier::houllier: but imagine that we could start with 11outfield players an no need for a Gk :)
I watch him nearly every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.