Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The nketiah altercation and now this has made me think he's just a bit of a cnut to be honest.
Agreed. Latest talented kid to become a prick and believe the hype

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Always find it both amusing and irritating when people complain about sore losers and moaners.

Do they forget Ferguson's teams were full of them? Hounding referees, petulance when things don't go your way, and taking defeat as a personal insult.

When I see these attitudes I see a winner.
Don't think any of them suggested they've been paid off though. As Max Rushden tweeted, it's Sunday league level chat - even there it's embarrassing.

Nero

Don't think any of them suggested they've been paid off though. As Max Rushden tweeted, it's Sunday league level chat - even there it's embarrassing.
I bet they did, and probably worse. There wasn't the same level of cameras and microphones tracking their every move in the tunnels and corridors back then.

I can only imagine the things our players said to officials out of sight. Warms the heart thinking about it actually. What a team of winners.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was this a particularly good or bad game for him? Seems like he gets around well, shields his defense really well, and immediately gives the ball to a wide player. He's a natural DM, and better than what we've been using there (Matic aside), but he doesn't look twice as good as the other people playing in his position for 50M. I'd rather 2 players for 50M than 1 Rice for 100M. He looks like he's a very pragmatic player, nothing fancy, doesn't try high risk passes, knows his role.
It wasn't a good game from him, but it shows how he can still play as West Ham's main deepest player.

Rice is a hard player to kind of see what he does because what he does best is stop an attack happening by stopping the passing lane. (He let in a goal vs Frankfurt but that doesn't mean he always does it). You are not going to see a YouTube video with Rice's ability off the ball because at his best he simply doesn't have the ball to show anything fancy.

He isnt worth 100 mil but at the same time I don't think he is this "overrated Mctominay" either.

I also love his leadership at the age of 23.

AlexUTD

It wasn't a good game from him, but it shows how he can still play as West Ham's main deepest player.

Rice is a hard player to kind of see what he does because what he does best is stop an attack happening by stopping the passing lane. (He let in a goal vs Frankfurt but that doesn't mean he always does it). You are not going to see a YouTube video with Rice's ability off the ball because at his best he simply doesn't have the ball to show anything fancy.

He isnt worth 100 mil but at the same time I don't think he is this "overrated Mctominay" either.

We need leaders and this kid is a leader.

He wants to win.

Some of these posters would call Keane a cnut cause he talked harshly to referees aswell.

choccy77

Man City refusing to pay £100m for rice.

The owner of Wings, is said to be outraged, as he offered free prawn crackers.

croadyman

We can’t afford to make a move for him with all our problems. We’d possibly solve central midfield but our fullback and wide forward options will still look shit, because we spent all our money on him.

Plus the beauty of football is we can probably find someone just as good or even better than him for a fraction of the price West Ham will ask for, so let West Ham put up extortionate numbers and run the risk of making Rice unhappy or running his contract to leave on a free or a low price with a year to go I say.
Yeah all for signing him IF it was the only issue in our team but that's not the case

Mike Smalling

Always find it both amusing and irritating when people complain about sore losers and moaners.

Do they forget Ferguson's teams were full of them? Hounding referees, petulance when things don't go your way, and taking defeat as a personal insult.

When I see these attitudes I see a winner.
If Rice was such a winner, he would have won something.

He is being priced as if he is already proven successful at a big club. He could be good for us, but he could also be another Schneiderlin.

We would be mad to pay anywhere near £100m for him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If we buy this guy for any price north of 50-60m, I'd say we still have not learnt our lesson.

Wing Attack Plan R

Thank you for your considered response. Rice doesn’t seem to have the same role in the team as McTominay does, but I guess it’s an easy shorthand for people to describe a player who rarely does anything fancy.

When I was playing, that was my favorite role to play too, so I like this type of player, gets about, an absolute nuisance to the opponents, just wondering if he would fit in with an ETH system. Seems like ETH wants everyone more mobile and fluid, not sitting deep. ?.

I’d take him if he were sensibly priced, where we wouldn’t think we’d blown half our budget. Considering how we got milked over Fred, prices are still insane. Under 50m, he’s an option.

Last edited:

StonedhamsterZA

I just can’t believe there isn’t a single other player we can find to sign in this mould without the “English markup” on him. What are our scouts even doing?

Marwood

Name them.
Unlike the club the poster probably doesn't have a worldwide scouting system. So it's neither her nor there if they can come up with a name.

It's just common sense that there has to be a player at a similar level without the English tax. Common sense because his talents aren't exceptional enough to be rare.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It is striking that a large portion of those who dont like him articulate/express it like this.

So weird.
Yes, very weird that people still want to waste the majority of the clubs transfer money on a manchild who would solve none of our midfield issues whatsoever. And one who is verifiably a complete and total prick to boot.

Sign him up, he'd fit in well with our recent transfer business.

Mainoldo

Unlike the club the poster probably doesn't have a worldwide scouting system. So it's neither her nor there if they can come up with a name.

It's just common sense that there has to be a player at a similar level without the English tax. Common sense because his talents aren't exceptional enough to be rare.
Okay abit more context. Name a top club that brought a well scouting unknown DM to the average fan?

Also like you said in your brief. It sounds simple enough so you name them. Name a non English 6/8 better than Rice. It can’t be that hard.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yes, very weird that people still want to waste the majority of the clubs transfer money on a manchild who would solve none of our midfield issues whatsoever. And one who is verifiably a complete and total prick to boot.

Sign him up, he'd fit in well with our recent transfer business.
I did not say it was weird that someone prefer that we do not sign him. I said it was weird how you, and several others of the same opinion, express it. And you did it again.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Okay abit more context. Name a top club that brought a well scouting unknown DM to the average fan?

Also like you said in your brief. It sounds simple enough so you name them. Name a non English 6/8 better than Rice. It can’t be that hard.
Most of the top DMs in world football were signed for £40m or less. Fabinho was £40m. Fernandinho for £35m. Kante was £32m. Casemiro, Verratti, Kimmich, Brozovic were all signed for basically nothing.

All of them except Kante and maybe Fabinho would probably have been mostly unknown to an average fan of the buying club before they were signed.

Mainoldo

Most of the top DMs in world football were signed for £40m or less. Fabinho was £40m. Fernandinho for £35m. Kante was £32m. Casemiro, Verratti, Kimmich, Brozovic were all signed for basically nothing.

All of them except Kante and maybe Fabinho would probably have been mostly unknown to an average fan of the buying club before they were signed.
I didn’t ask about price I said name the players. You named a good bunch there. However right now who are these players?

Fernandinho. Shaktar did very well in the Champions league. Also like you said was very expensive Considering inflation.

kante. We know his story… Prem winner.

Casemiro can through the club. Equivalent of ETH coming in and saying Garner is my guy. If that happens I’m sure we are all happy. Unlikely though.

Verratti. Well hyped we were linked and a couple other big clubs. PSG took a chance and paid over what any other club would have at the time.

kimmich. Played full back correct me if I’m wrong.

Brozovic no idea. But Inter have been crap for years whilst he was there. He was there when we first got Jose. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I didn’t ask about price I said name the players. You named a good bunch there. However right now who are these players?
I don't know. I don't have a global scouting network to tell me. I wouldn't have been able to tell you about Fernandinho/Casemiro/Verratti/Kimmich/Brozovic before they were signed either.

Just because some random on the caf can't name exactly who we should sign off the top of his head doesn't mean we should therefore sign the option the average punter does know about for £100m.

Abraxas

Who says we are going to pay 100 million or whatever fee for this bloke? I don't know why people throw their toys out of the pram about a hypothetical that is extremely unlikely and then start flip flopping around with random assessments about how overrated he is over a figure nobody has paid or is likely to pay. He could have gone for 100 mill last year as well. Did he? No.

Declan Rice is a very good footballer, one of the best DMs in the league and can still improve but put your thinking cap on and it won't happen. West Ham pretty much don't want to sell and nobody wants to buy for that reason.

Mainoldo

I don't know. I don't have a global scouting network to tell me. I wouldn't have been able to tell you about Fernandinho/Casemiro/Verratti/Kimmich/Brozovic before they were signed either.

Just because some random on the caf can't name exactly who we should sign off the top of his head doesn't mean we should therefore sign the option the average punter does know about for £100m.
But the same average cafe guy doesn’t know anything about Rice except he’s English and expensive. That’s the issue.

If you know ball you knew all the above players except for Brozovic and Kimmich and giving credit the real good muppets on here (not me) probably knew them.

So all I’m saying if you can’t name the better CM stop having an opinion on Rice because the majority don’t watch him there just jumping on the English overpriced bandwagon.

Remember the geese

Name a top club that brought a well scouting unknown DM to the average fan?
I'm not saying that he was unknown as he was playing for a big club in Spain, but I can honestly say that I knew very little about Rodri before City signed him. Are there any more Rodri's around for us?

Mainoldo

I'm not saying that he was unknown as he was playing for a big club in Spain, but I can honestly say that I knew very little about Rodri before City signed him. Are there any more Rodri's around for us?
That’s exactly the real question I want to know. I’m the same as you. Before him Partey and Saul Nunez (the first ever time we was linked).

These are the profiles I want to see us linked with Not Kalvin Phillips and Neves as alternatives.

Red Daz

He’d be a great signing but not for the ridiculous amount West Ham are quoting , 60 mil is realistic for a player of his talent, he’ll end up leaving when he has a year left

Marwood

I barely watch football now outside of the Premier League and not much more than United. So I'm the worst person to ask. I'd also argue that nobody is realy unknown now. So that's a tough parameter to set.

But we have seen DM's come into the league who weren't exactly considered world stars for much lower fees than the speculated Rice figure yet be just as good
If not better.

Fabinho, Fernandinho, Rodri, Kante, Jorginho, Neves, Bissouma.

All cheaper than the Rice figure being banded about. It wasn't like we were all in agreement we should be signing one of the above either. They weren't unknown but they weren't universally wanted players either.

So I think its very possible to get another player like those mentioned above for much less than Rice might cost.

Mainoldo

I barely watch football now outside of the Premier League and not much more than United. So I'm the worst person to ask. I'd also argue that nobody is realy unknown now. So that's a tough parameter to set.

But we have seen DM's come into the league who weren't exactly considered world stars for much lower fees than the speculated Rice figure yet be just as good
If not better.

Fabinho, Fernandinho, Rodri, Kante, Jorginho, Neves, Bissouma.

All cheaper than the Rice figure being banded about. It wasn't like we were all in agreement we should be signing one of the above either. They weren't unknown but they weren't universally wanted players either.

So I think its very possible to get another player like those mentioned above for much less than Rice might cost.
Fabinho we wanted for ages. As a RB at first but even more when we realised he was a good DM.

Fernandinho I can’t remember but he had a good champs league and he was expensive like Fred expensive.

Rodri yep not a clue but he came from a successful Atletico. Like who is that current player?

Kante as I said before won the league was very successful and most of us wanted him. If we wasn’t crap the season before and Jose apparently got to us earlier we would of had him.

Jorginho a lot of people rated him and his profile is very much what Rice is now but less expensive.

Neves and Bissouma aren’t in the same category for me not like the others prior to their moves.

Marwood

Fabinho we wanted for ages. As a RB at first but even more when he realised he was a good DM. Fernandinho I can’t remember but he had a good champs league and he was expensive like Fred expensive. Rodri yep not a clue but he came from a successful Atletico. Like who is that current player? Kante as I said before work the league was very successful and most of us wanted him. If we wasn’t crap the season before and Jose apparently got to us earlier we would of had him. Jorginho a lot of people rated him and his profile is very much what Rice is now but less expensive. Neves and Bissouma aren’t in the same category for me not like the others prior to their moves.
I don't really want to get into the detail of each player but I meant Kante pre Leicester.

The others, I'm not arguing they were unknown, that's an impossible task and I don't think anybody is arguing we could get such a player.

But the point is they were all significantly cheaper than Rice might be and we weren't on mass clamouring for their signings.

Mainoldo

I don't really want to get into the detail of each player but I meant Kante pre Leicester.

The others, I'm not arguing they were unknown, that's an impossible task and I don't think anybody is arguing we could get such a player.

But the point is they were all significantly cheaper than Rice might be and we weren't on mass clamouring for their signings.
I don’t think we can get Kante pre Leicester because of the risk involved that’s why it’s a Leicester job. What we want to be is the Chelsea signing him after.

Ideally who is the Xabi Alonso playing for Real Sociedad. We need him and our scouts need to be suggesting that guy.

pillo o'culture

Supports
utub disliek button
Kimmich, Busquet, Brozo, Kroos, Verrati, Thiago, Fabian Ruiz, and maybe Frankie de Jong

And just check the number, turns out Rice have identical passing, touches, and defensive contribution as McT. So it won't be much of an upgrade afterall, we already have our own 100m mf ourselves. Although for a DM, Rice still better as he rarely got dispossessed and make an error.

Hammondo

Fabinho we wanted for ages. As a RB at first but even more when we realised he was a good DM.

Fernandinho I can’t remember but he had a good champs league and he was expensive like Fred expensive.

Rodri yep not a clue but he came from a successful Atletico. Like who is that current player?

Kante as I said before won the league was very successful and most of us wanted him. If we wasn’t crap the season before and Jose apparently got to us earlier we would of had him.

Jorginho a lot of people rated him and his profile is very much what Rice is now but less expensive.

Neves and Bissouma aren’t in the same category for me not like the others prior to their moves.
But better and cheaper than Rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.