Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniron

I’m sure a major reason for rejecting that amount was due to the impact it would have had on their season. I’d imagine that, as part of the new deal he got, there’d be a clause or agreement that a similar bid in summer would be successful.
Really good player. Would think he's great for us but no idea how we afford him

M Bison

Supports
York City
It would be a shrewd signing imo, the impact Casemiro has had on the team this season is huge and he leaves a massive gap when not playing.

This would give us aplatform for the next 10 years, and effectively act as supplementary to Casemiro now and eventually as a replacement with little upheaval.

The only issue is the impact on the transfer budget as the numbers quoted are huge.

Id also take Mount, I think they’d be 2 fantastic additions to the squad, and if we do sign a quality striker, it really does show we mean business next season.

Maniron

N
Kane is 29, Rice is 24. Kane will give us goals and it will be great to have him, but Rice will quickly become our no.1 player and captain. He has been West Hams player of the year for the last 3 years and is one of a handful of nailed on starters for England. Unfortunately, he is more likely to choose Arsenal so that he can stay close to his family in London.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not a fan of him and even less so using him and Casemiro in midfield.

Their best attributes overlap. We need a more metronomic midfielder next to Casemiro that's an excellent ball carrier.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
How much are we paying our scouts? At the moment they appear to be making their recommendations on the basis of a cursory view of Football Manager's database.

Dazzmondo

I'm not a fan of him and even less so using him and Casemiro in midfield.

Their best attributes overlap. We need a more metronomic midfielder next to Casemiro that's an excellent ball carrier.
Rice is an excellent ball carrier. Literally one of the best in Europe. You can check the stats if you think otherwise

Eddy_JukeZ

Honestly spending 80m+ on Rice is lunacy.

We need a different profile for a midfielder.

Jam

I don't particularly rate Rice or Mount; especially for the money quoted. Both massively exposed this season.

Avoid.

Eddy_JukeZ

Rice is an excellent ball carrier. Literally one of the best in Europe. You can check the stats if you think otherwise
He is a very good ball carrier, but he's not a metronomic player of the ball. His passing is slightly better than Casemiro's, while being worse defensively and I don't think he's press resistant much like Casemiro too. Their abilities overlap too much. I don't think they compliment each other.

We need someone who's extremely adept at receiving the ball in deep positions and then pivoting away from pressure if necessary while also being a player that's very good at passing between the lines. I don't think Rice is that player. Someone like De Jong would be perfect for us unfortunately.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Let me put it this way, if he signed for a rival I'd be slightly disappointed. But if Caicedo signed for a rival, I'd be gutted.

I think both can play as Casemiro partner / or backup so kind of makes sense. Still think we need more solid midfield first and the rest will fall into place in terms od balance. We are not getting a "controlling" playmaker Anyway, so let's just build a system that helps us control games. If we get another solid CM who can drive the ball forward, we can do it.

mu4c_20le

It would be a shrewd signing imo, the impact Casemiro has had on the team this season is huge and he leaves a massive gap when not playing.

This would give us aplatform for the next 10 years, and effectively act as supplementary to Casemiro now and eventually as a replacement with little upheaval.

The only issue is the impact on the transfer budget as the numbers quoted are huge.

Id also take Mount, I think they’d be 2 fantastic additions to the squad, and if we do sign a quality striker, it really does show we mean business next season.
Agree with this, smart thing to do would be to play them together and then replace him naturally before the old vet loses his legs. Instead of scrambling for a replacement then, overpaying for mediocrity and watching him dominate games for Arsenal.

arthurka

The last time United signed a 25 year old West ham youth product to play midfield worked out ok didn't it?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He is a very good ball carrier, but he's not a metronomic player of the ball. His passing is slightly better than Casemiro's, while being worse defensively and I don't think he's press resistant much like Casemiro too. Their abilities overlap too much. I don't think they compliment each other.

We need someone who's extremely adept at receiving the ball in deep positions and then pivoting away from pressure if necessary while also being a player that's very good at passing between the lines. I don't think Rice is that player. Someone like De Jong would be perfect for us unfortunately.
It's a thing at the Caf these days that people describe midfielder that "we need", and basically only De Jong fits that description. "someone like De Jong" - are there any alternatives there anyway?

I think we're not getting De Jong so we just need to build a team that can control games. Brighton does it without that kind of player.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One of the rumours I hope is true if we have the funds. I think he'd be a very good signing alongside Casemiro and as a replacement. Good age and a dominant character.

The idea of scouting a £40m-£50m alternative is good in theory but also takes a lot of luck to strike gold.

Look down the PL and ask how many CMs you would take over Rice. There won't be many. Him or otherwise Caicedo I would go for.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am not even fully convinced by Declan Rice but it makes much more sense to spend £100m on him than £50m on Mason Mount.

Hammondo

Rice is more mobile, carries the ball better and passes it more efficiently. He is closer to De Jong than Bellingham.
He's miles off De Jong, he's like neither of them, he's closer to Henderson or Gareth Barry.

daba

Let me put it this way, if he signed for a rival I'd be slightly disappointed. But if Caicedo signed for a rival, I'd be gutted.

I think both can play as Casemiro partner / or backup so kind of makes sense. Still think we need more solid midfield first and the rest will fall into place in terms od balance. We are not getting a "controlling" playmaker Anyway, so let's just build a system that helps us control games. If we get another solid CM who can drive the ball forward, we can do it.
I feel exactly the same way. Was gutted when Arsenal were going strong on him in January and was praying it wouldn’t work out so we might have a chance in the summer when (hopefully) the takeover debacle is complete.

Fingers well crossed on this one, although if Rice was the plan B then I wouldn’t be too gutted. To miss out on both would be gutting.

Cabin Clown

Would he make City's team? That should be the litmus test. I don't think he gets near.

Anyway, I would hate this transfer. He's overrated and would cost a fortune.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's a thing at the Caf these days that people describe midfielder that "we need", and basically only De Jong fits that description. "someone like De Jong" - are there any alternatives there anyway?

I think we're not getting De Jong so we just need to build a team that can control games. Brighton does it without that kind of player.
I didn't say only De Jong, and I'm not a paid scout. Our scouting department should be able to find players with similar qualities.

Edwards6

Don't see us buying Rice when we're probably paying about £100m for a striker, I think Neves is more realistic as he'll be a lot cheaper and the type of player that can help us control the midfield better

croadyman

Super strong defensively. Would allow Fernandes to play further forward and do his usual volatile but extremely creative stuff. Not sure how much we’re going to control or go toe to toe in the big games on possession, though
Yeah that's the one concern about partnering Casa with either Rice/Caicedo,having said that I fear we would be too lightweight with a control player next to him in the big games.

Last edited:

croadyman

Will have to find alternative DLP target to De Jong but who that is I haven't got a clue. Anyone that has any names who they feel best fit the bill then feel free to suggest them

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
One of the rumours I hope is true if we have the funds. I think he'd be a very good signing alongside Casemiro and as a replacement. Good age and a dominant character.

The idea of scouting a £40m-£50m alternative is good in theory but also takes a lot of luck to strike gold.

Look down the PL and ask how many CMs you would take over Rice. There won't be many. Him or otherwise Caicedo I would go for.
People forget donny Van Der Beek was touted as this cheaper alternative (to Grealish) and it didn’t work out so brilliantly. Your just left with a 50 million hole.

johnnyteutonic

Kovacic

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
People forget donny Van Der Beek was touted as this cheaper alternative (to Grealish) and it didn’t work out so brilliantly. Your just left with a 50 million hole.
It would be a lesser risk with Rice, he's a native and played his whole career in the country, DvB was coming to a new country and a league that he needed to adapt to and so far has failed to do so

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
Plenty of reports Arsenal are going to launch a 92m offer as soon as West Hams conference final is over. Also reports West Ham are interested in Balogun. I dont believe a swap deal can be done, but accepting a discount fee from West Ham for Balogun could give us an edge in the price for Rice. This is the type of player West Ham would want to grease the wheels for Rice. 20 league goals in Ligue one, 21 years old, plenty of upside potential. Players like Maguire and McTominay are not proper bait.

We will be going very hard, and Rice is our top target. Bookmakers have us the shortest odds (by a long way) to sign Rice. RIce is a London lad too. ALl roads point to Rice signng for Arsenal.

I am about 80% confident we sign him

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I didn't say only De Jong, and I'm not a paid scout. Our scouting department should be able to find players with similar qualities.
Not a dig at you, it's just I've seen plenty of posts like that and very very rarely somone other than De Jong is mentioned in those. I don't know any alternatives as I don't watch that much football outside United. But in general my point is those players are rare and even more difficult to get. I don't like this idea that we "need" someone like that because if he isn't available (very likely the case), we should just move on on stop talking about De Jong or such. What we "need" is a striker and a cover for Casemiro and De Jong is neither. Rice I think fits the bill in a way so I can certainly see why we're after him, even if it's a bit disappointing to see always the same names on potential transfers list. What our scouts are doing is indeed an interesting question.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Chelsea will outbid everyone and pay West Ham's price.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Mount and Rice together in one window make a lot of sense. Add in Kane and that's a great window that improves your team no end.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A midfield of Mount, Rice and Casemiro would be pretty reminiscent of the best Klopp midfields which were full of high energy and the reliance on it for creativity wouldn't be as heavy because you'd have full backs and wingers capable of doing that.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What our scouts are doing is indeed an interesting question.
You should look to your youth to see what your scouts are doing, it's very difficult to unearth a gem who can walk in and improve your starting 11. Everyone raves about our scouting at the moment, but actually it's only a small part of the equation, all these "gems" that people rave about Caicedo, Mac Allister, Mitoma, Enciso, Ferguson etc have all been developed at Brighton or on loan before breaking into the team. None of them were first XI starters when we bought them.

The only two starters we have bought recently , that I can think of have been Cucurella and Estupinan. It's in the youth teams that the real bargain gems are discovered and then developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.