Deepfakes

Amarsdd

It has come a long way in the last couple of years. For example:

Vid2Vid: https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.06601

Live Face De-Identification: https://research.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Live-Face-De-Identification-in-Video.pdf

I actually co-authored this year a paper (very similar in spirit to Live Face De-Identification) that got into CVPR (top vision venue, and the venue with the highest impact in entire CS), that is more focused on images, but we were able to get temporal consistency for free (by simply smoothing the trajectories of each frame).

I agree that video generation has still a long way to go, and at the moment, Photoshop is better at generating DeepFakes than AI approaches, but there has been tremendous progress recently.
Those look great esp. the first one! I remember someone trying to or talking about integrating something like that into a game engine. But I was talking more from the pov of works like these https://syncedreview.com/2019/07/16...essive-step-toward-realistic-video-synthesis/ where you do not have a reference for multiple frames while generating or synthesizing the video.

Revan

Assumptionman
Those look great esp. the first one! I remember someone trying to or talking about integrating something like that into a game engine. But I was talking more from the pov of works like these https://syncedreview.com/2019/07/16...essive-step-toward-realistic-video-synthesis/ where you do not have a reference for multiple frames while generating or synthesizing the video.
Ah, I see. That is true, generating videos from noise/nothing (unlike those that I showed where the network is conditioned on some other video) is a challenge, and it does not work that well. To be fair, I don't think that is a big deal, I do not see any realistic scenario when generating videos from noise makes sense. However, generating conditioned on some input video (essentially video manipulation) could be useful in many scenarios.

Amarsdd

Ah, I see. That is true, generating videos from noise/nothing (unlike those that I showed where the network is conditioned on some other video) is a challenge, and it does not work that well. To be fair, I don't think that is a big deal, I do not see any realistic scenario when generating videos from noise makes sense. However, generating conditioned on some input video (essentially video manipulation) could be useful in many scenarios.
I agree. Maybe for stupid stuff like where NLP models were used to generate star wars movie scripts, now video synthesis to generate star wars movies. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree. Maybe for stupid stuff like where NLP models were used to generate star wars movie scripts, now video synthesis to generate star wars movies. :lol:
Come on, I don't believe that a text generator can generate as bad scripts as those for episode 8 and 9. For sure, it would have generated something more intelligent.

A few years ago, I trained an RNN text generator (this was before Transformers architectures) in A Song of Ice and Fire, and among other things, it generated some names that looked very Game of Thrones-like.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Not long now we'll have 1000 versions of any event happening, speech given, news, historical event having happened and potentially recorded, etc etc. More and more I'm thinking how do we not feck this up. We're divided on truth now, just imagine..

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has anyone of them done Trump and the peetape yet?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Those Tom Cruise ones fooled two of my mates and it even has deep in the name. We must be at the point where this is fecked.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Those Tom Cruise ones fooled two of my mates and it even has deep in the name. We must be at the point where this is fecked.
We're at the point where video can no longer be used as evidence surely? how can any crime be proved with technology like this.

stepic

god boomers already believe bs youtube videos created by obviously bogus content creators, they are gonna lap this up

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We're at the point where video can no longer be used as evidence surely? how can any crime be proved with technology like this.
The only thing I can think of is that it would have to go through a verification process by experts.

But is such a thing even feasible?

Gehrman

We are completely fecked. A huge amount a people will be living in a even greater psudeoreality. Best possible proganda tool for whoever wants to wield it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only thing I can think of is that it would have to go through a verification process by experts.

But is such a thing even feasible?
No idea, I assume this type of video is a "filter" like snapchat etc, so somehow you might be able to tell what's been edited.

Scary though, if somebody wanted to ruin your reputation they could do it so easily.

Sara125

Not quite the same thing as a deep fake but there’s this pretty cool website that I found out about maybe two years ago: https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

It uses AI software to create human faces that look completely real. Each time you refresh the page it shows a new face.

Anyway, I think this whole deep fake thing will spark up an ‘unethical’ debate similar to what we see regarding human cloning in the future. As other posters mentioned it can potentially be used to completely ruin celebrities and in the future possibly rewrite important historical/political events etc.

e.cantona

We'll have video version of Putins Ukraine tactics x10, evidence of China doing great things for their minority populations, non-existing celebrities, video evidence of whatever historical person being the opposite of what history told us so far, spoon-fed narrative along with penalty for "wrong-speak", etc, etc

Revan

Assumptionman
Working on both generating and detecting deep fakes, I honestly fear that this is a battle that we cannot win. We just have to learn to deal with them, same as how we deal with quotes of Einstein that we see in Facebook.

e.cantona

The end justifies the means is the factory setting of most people (in my experience)

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Not quite the same thing as a deep fake but there’s this pretty cool website that I found out about maybe two years ago: https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

It uses AI software to create human faces that look completely real. Each time you refresh the page it shows a new face.

Anyway, I think this whole deep fake thing will spark up an ‘unethical’ debate similar to what we see regarding human cloning in the future. As other posters mentioned it can potentially be used to completely ruin celebrities and in the future possibly rewrite important historical/political events etc.
How do we know those people don't exist though? They look so real.

Gehrman

Can someone do the Trump pee tape please.

Sara125

How do we know those people don't exist though? They look so real.
The man who developed it said that the faces are completely fake and that he generates the pictures using some AI algorithm. I get what you’re saying though, there must be some people out there in the world who look exactly like them.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The man who developed it said that the faces are completely fake and that he generates the pictures using some AI algorithm. I get what you’re saying though, there must be some people out there in the world who look exactly like them.
This could get out of hand in so many ways in a few years.. Scary!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This cheerleading story seems like the most updated tech iteration of the Lifetime made for TV movie about the unhinged cheerleader mom.