Music Deftones

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
The new Deftones album "Ohms" is out tomorrow (at midnight on streaming services I assume). I've just listened to it, and it's fecking great. I'm not a metal fan but I always enjoy Deftones, they're so much more IMO and this album is no different. I can't really pick a favourite song from it, as each one played I just kept changing my mind. Maybe Ceremony would be my pick at the mo if I had to choose.

I can't post any tracks or a Spotify link other than the two singles released since it's not out officially for another hour or so.

Edit:

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
They're possibly my favourite band. But Gore was a disappointment and I've been out of the loop in recent years. Thanks for the heads up! Those two tracks seem like a return to form.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm a big fan. I've read all the stuff about how Steph was disengaged from the writing process last time and, though I really liked Gore, I'm glad there seems to be more togetherness for this one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Now that’s a name I hadn’t heard in a while. I don’t think I’ve kept tabs on them since Minerva.

baskinginthesun

If the singles are anything to go by there is definitely an old school feel about them. Those tracks are comparatively heavy to what they have released in the past decade. Looking forward to it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm not a metal fan but I always enjoy Deftones, they're so much more IMO
What do you mean by this?

Deftones is one of those bands where I've never like the whole album but I like a bunch of songs. I'm more of an album guy than a playlist guy so I've not been listening to them much through the years but I'll give this one a listen. I like the song Ohms and the albums seems to be getting rave reviews.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
What do you mean by this?
Just how they combine different sounds and influences to create a unique feel that's more than can be covered by simply saying they're a metal band (or nu-metal if it was still the late 90s/early 2000s).

Like you've got a great combination of heavy and ethereal music, along with Chino going from screaming one minute to whispering sexy sounds the next. I can listen to them and get pumped and energized, but at the same time can totally relax to them in the same way I do with shoegaze.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They’ve always aspired to be real artists and not just a metal band, even going back to Adrenaline which has one of my favorite album endings ever. I can hear hints of later stuff I love like Deerhunter now that I think of it (random thought).

Bratt

I absolutely love the old deftones, but the latest three, four albums were rather meh to me.
Looking forward to crank up this tonight to see if it’s back to the roots.

Classical Mechanic

They’ve always aspired to be real artists and not just a metal band, even going back to Adrenaline which has one of my favorite album endings ever. I can hear hints of later stuff I love like Deerhunter now that I think of it (random thought).
What is this nonsense? You can't be a 'real' artist if you're in a 'metal' band! Codswallop.

Deftones are a great band though. Look foward to this album.

Dante

Average bang
I absolutely love the old deftones, but the latest three, four albums were rather meh to me.
Looking forward to crank up this tonight to see if it’s back to the roots.
:eek: Koi No Yokan is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Other than Gore, they've been very consistent, imo.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
:nono:

I think White Pony is their best, partly because of what a change of direction and a game changer it was at the time as well as it being great, but for the most part I'm much more of a later 'Tones fan. Diamond Eyes, Koi and indeed Gore are all in constant rotation for me.

Dante

Average bang
:nono:

I think White Pony is their best, partly because of what a change of direction and a game changer it was at the time as well as it being great, but for the most part I'm much more of a later 'Tones fan. Diamond Eyes, Koi and indeed Gore are all in constant rotation for me.
White Pony, Koi No Yokan and Adrenaline all fit comfortably into the category of 'one of the greatest albums of all time' for me.

Bratt

Adrenaline, around the fur and white pony is great imo.
Deftones (self titled) have some very good tracks, and some not so great.
Saturday NW, diamond eyes and Koi no yokan is OK,
Gore is crap

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
White Pony, Koi No Yokan and Adrenaline all fit comfortably into the category of 'one of the greatest albums of all time' for me.
I think Adrenaline is their worst album and it's still a really special record for me. I have a mate who prefers the older stuff and we always take the piss out of each other (I say stuff like 'thank God they actually learned how to play their instruments for the later releases') but I still think Adrenaline and Around the Fur are great albums, just in a style I'm not that into anymore.

My list of preference is something like this:

White Pony
Diamond Eyes
Koi No Yokan
Gore
Saturday Night Wrist
Deftones
Around the Fur
Adrenaline
___
B Sides
Covers
(Like) Linux

From an early listen I think Ohms has every chance of a top three finish for me, it sounds great.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Big fan. Need to listen to this at some point today. I like what I've heard from it so far.

Adrenaline is the only album I don't enjoy listening to from front to back, but it does have some good songs on it. Every other album is solid, to varying degrees. White Pony is the obvious standout.

Seen them live twice, awful both times. Musically they're tight. Abe in particular is a fantastic musician. Chino's live vocals are horrendous.

Dante

Average bang
Big fan. Need to listen to this at some point today. I like what I've heard from it so far.

Adrenaline is the only album I don't enjoy listening to from front to back, but it does have some good songs on it. Every other album is solid, to varying degrees. White Pony is the obvious standout.

Seen them live twice, awful both times. Musically they're tight. Abe in particular is a fantastic musician. Chino's live vocals are horrendous.
Haha! Yes! Glad it's not just me.

I paid £72 to watch them in Manchester a couple of years ago. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a gig.

cafecillos

So little love for Gore, I'm always puzzled by how widespread (almost unanimous) the opinion that Gore is the worst Deftones album is. I certainly know nothing.

Shark

@NotShark

Chino's voice definitely isn't for everyone, even at his peak. Has a very unusual style though, if you hear him you know it's him. Think he uses a bit of distortion on his vocals in studio albums also so when he's live and raw it doesn't come off well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Chino's voice definitely isn't for everyone, even at his peak. Has a very unusual style though, if you hear him you know it's him. Think he uses a bit of distortion on his vocals in studio albums also so when he's live and raw it doesn't come off well.
His voice definitely benefits from the studio. The whispery parts are usually soaked in reverb, which doesn't really work live. His screams are so shrill live too.

I saw them on the White Pony Tour in 2001 which was by far the worst. He just slurred all out of tune, and didn't even attempt the higher register stuff. 2nd time was on the self titled tour in 2004 I think, which was a lot better, but still not great. I've seen recent videos of them live, he seems to be a lot better at holding a tune now than he did back then.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
His voice definitely benefits from the studio. The whispery parts are usually soaked in reverb, which doesn't really work live. His screams are so shrill live too.

I saw them on the White Pony Tour in 2001 which was by far the worst. He just slurred all out of tune, and didn't even attempt the higher register stuff. 2nd time was on the self titled tour in 2004 I think, which was a lot better, but still not great. I've seen recent videos of them live, he seems to be a lot better at holding a tune now than he did back then.
I'm pretty sure he was heading into his worst period for drug and booze abuse then. I think he's a better live performer now but I agree he can be hit or miss live.

Snow

Just how they combine different sounds and influences to create a unique feel that's more than can be covered by simply saying they're a metal band (or nu-metal if it was still the late 90s/early 2000s).

Like you've got a great combination of heavy and ethereal music, along with Chino going from screaming one minute to whispering sexy sounds the next. I can listen to them and get pumped and energized, but at the same time can totally relax to them in the same way I do with shoegaze.
That would be dismissive yes and metal is often dismissed. There are so much variety in metal but people see Cannibal Corpse on Ace Ventura and think that's metal and I don't like it but Cannibal Corpse is death metal and is nothing like Metallica which is thrash metal (early) and heavy metal (late) and also not much like In Flames which is a form of death metal.

For me Deftones is very much defined by Chino, low tuned bass and multi-string guitars.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm pretty sure he was heading into his worst period for drug and booze abuse then. I think he's a better live performer now but I agree he can be hit or miss live.
I think you might be right. He didn't look well on the White Pony tour. I remember MTV2 showed the Leeds/Reading footage back then and the Deftones set was as bad as what I saw.

He was noticably slimmer on the S/T tour and much more energetic.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
That would be dismissive yes and metal is often dismissed. There are so much variety in metal but people see Cannibal Corpse on Ace Ventura and think that's metal and I don't like it but Cannibal Corpse is death metal and is nothing like Metallica which is thrash metal (early) and heavy metal (late) and also not much like In Flames which is a form of death metal.

For me Deftones is very much defined by Chino, low tuned bass and multi-string guitars.
I didn't mean for it to sound like I was slagging off metal or anything :lol: Just that they must be doing something different to keep me listening and enjoying them.

I wonder how long it will keep the #1 spot on RYM

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What is this nonsense? You can't be a 'real' artist if you're in a 'metal' band! Codswallop.
Bit of an overreaction there...I thought it was clear what I meant, that they didn’t want to be defined by abiding to the norms of a single genre.

Of course metal can be art.

Classical Mechanic

Bit of an overreaction there...I thought it was clear what I meant, that they didn’t want to be defined by abiding to the norms of a single genre.

Of course metal can be art.
They are typical of the alt-metal genre in that they incorporate different musical inspirations into their sound. Metal is one of the most diverse genres there is. Probably only dance music has as many different sub-genres. I’m not sure what you class as ‘the norm’ in metal, classic Metallica era thrash or metal-core maybe.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They are typical of the alt-metal genre in that they incorporate different musical inspirations into their sound. Metal is one of the most diverse genres there is. Probably only dance music has as many different sub-genres. I’m not sure what you class as ‘the norm’ in metal, classic Metallica era thrash or metal-core maybe.
Phrases like nu-metal or alt-metal were barely in existence if at all when the Deftones came onto the scene, hence they were trying to be more than just another metal band in the context of the time. Which is what I said.

Snow

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was slagging off metal or anything :lol: Just that they must be doing something different to keep me listening and enjoying them.

I wonder how long it will keep the #1 spot on RYM

I didn't take it that way for what its worth. Just wasn't sure what you meant is all.

For Deftones specifically I reckon it's both their music specifically and the time you discovered them. Can't really say it about music but they're better than most bands that got famous at a similar time in the similar genre. P.O.D., Korn, Limp Bizkit, Static X etc. First 4 albums (the ones I listened to) are all slightly different without straying too far which is a fine line to walk.

3rd on Metacritic currently.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't take it that way for what its worth. Just wasn't sure what you meant is all.

For Deftones specifically I reckon it's both their music specifically and the time you discovered them. Can't really say it about music but they're better than most bands that got famous at a similar time in the similar genre. P.O.D., Korn, Limp Bizkit, Static X etc. First 4 albums (the ones I listened to) are all slightly different without straying too far which is a fine line to walk.

3rd on Metacritic currently.
Korn stand out for me from that list too. I don’t think the others have aged too well, especially Limp Bizkit.

Acole9

Outstanding
Great to see so many Deftones fans on the caf. I've listened to it twice now and I think I prefer it to Gore already.

They're so consistent with their albums, I don't think there's a dud amongst them. There's not too many bands you can say that about.

The second half of this album is so strong.

Shark

@NotShark
:lol:

It’s so bad. It’s like everything that’s wrong with Limp Bizkit turned up to 20. Probably one of the worst songs ever.
It truly is :lol:

I seen Static X mentioned here and just remembered an awful song from them also, not sure you ever heard of them. The entire song us just literally one chord. One of their later ones I think.