Music Deftones

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Korn stand out for me from that list too. I don’t think the others have aged too well, especially Limp Bizkit.
Loved Korn when I was younger, was my favorite band for a period of life and I got to see them life during that period which was great. I never have the urge to listen to them anymore like I do some other bands from a similar time like Slipknot or Blink-182.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think Korn have aged well either. At one point they were considered heavy, but comparative to how hardcore, metal and all of its subgenres developed over the course of the 2000s, they're a bit tame now. I used to like those first two albums, S/T and Life is Peachy, but they sound very much of their time, with that scooped guitar tone that was so prevalent in nu-metal for some reason. That's mostly why I can't really listen to Adrenaline from start to finish. There's a lot of cool stuff going on, but it sounds like a quintessential 90's nu-metal record, whereas Around The Fur still sounds punchy and fresh after all this time.

Bratt

Loved Korn when I was younger, was my favorite band for a period of life and I got to see them life during that period which was great. I never have the urge to listen to them anymore like I do some other bands from a similar time like Slipknot or Blink-182.
Yeah, same here.
Seen them live three times, all of them great shows. Never listen to them anymore though.

Acole9

Outstanding
Korn released an album last year which is their best album for well over a decade.

RedRoach

Never been able to get into them that much, they had individual good songs, but a lot of rubbish as well. Their best song IMO is Passenger where they collaborated with Maynard from Tool (a far better band :))

Having said that I will give the new album a try.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Limp Bizkit had too much of circus going on, Korn tried different ways over the years, Slipknot had few decent heavy tracks, Mudvayne was weird but pleasant short term discovery.

I miss Static-X with their hypnotizing riffs and at the moment just glad Deftones can still record something that will remind of that era.

Korn released an album last year which is their best album for well over a decade.
Need to finally get ears on that album.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Got around to listening to it today, I like it a lot. I was a fan of Gore but this is much better on first listen.

The guitars have an overtly processed and digitised tone to them, which I think really suits the aesthetic of the record and all the glitchy visuals. Abe is such a rock solid drummer too, the drums sound huge and punchy.

That intro to track 3 really suckered me in though. I thought they were going to go into some full-tilt nu-metal beatdown after hearing the chuggy guitars, but it doesn't. BOO-URNS.

Dante

Average bang
It's not the dumpster fire that Gore was. But I have to say that I found it very forgettable.

I tried really hard to like it, but I couldn't even find one song that jumped out at me. A handful of nice guitar moments, and that's about it.

Already given it 5 or 6 listens. Maybe I need to try again in a few weeks when I'm in a different frame of mind.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Guitarist Stephen Carpenter has declared himself as a covid-denying anti-vaxxer and flat-earther, in one swoop.

https://uproxx.com/indie/deftones-stephen-carpenter-does-not-believe-vaccines-covid-19/

“[There’s] never been one single vaccine that’s ever worked ever. All poisons, you can never get it out of your body, [your] body has no means to expel it.” He added, “It’s stuck in you forever and you just suffer with whatever it becomes.”
“If you think you live on a spinning, flying space ball, you’re in a cult.” He continued, “The simplest terms for my perspective with flat Earth is simply, I know we’re not on a spinning, flying space ball. Now, what it actually is and all that and, and, and to what depths it goes to, that’s all still to be discovered and people are working on those things.”
All propaganda all the time. No matter how many times you want to present to people that it says right on the box that it says that this protects you against nothing, you know it won’t matter. I mean they could read it themselves and who wants to admit they’ve been played? I mean who wants to own that they were the sucker. That’s hard I guess for most people, because that’s what we’re going through.

Most people know that it’s bullshit. The germaphobes we’re not… we can’t do anything but try to help them out because they genuinely believe that there’s a deadly virus going around and they would have believed it already. They already thought life was deadly and dangerous. So this is no help to them. But everyone else part-time wears the mask, they already know it’s worthless. You know they all got their little favorite little logo matching their outfits. It’s like clown show. Please stop, you’re embarrassing yourself.

And that’s no disrespect to those who’ve fallen ill and even those who died from whatever they may have died from. Obviously none of that is disregarded, but I do not connect that to what this is, you know? What this is some, this is just some mental trickery.

And it’s unfortunate that everybody just gave in. It was a two week event when it started, and then it just now it’s forever… Thank you to all your mask wearers for making this permanent, good job.
That's disappointing. What a loony.

In actual Deftones news, the White Pony remix album is out in December. Knife Party and Passenger are on YouTube, they're pretty cool.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Guitarist Stephen Carpenter has declared himself as a covid-denying anti-vaxxer and flat-earther, in one swoop.

https://uproxx.com/indie/deftones-stephen-carpenter-does-not-believe-vaccines-covid-19/

That's disappointing. What a loony.

In actual Deftones news, the White Pony remix album is out in December. Knife Party and Passenger are on YouTube, they're pretty cool.
That's why you should get into musicians and artists primarily for their work. Cool personalities/worldviews are a bonus, but not for me a necessity.

The remixes are pretty good too I think.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Classical Mechanic

I have to say that I'm fairly disappointed with their new album. It just feels like going over old ground and the vocal melodies are weaker than previous albums. I found it fairly forgettable.

I bought (still buy some CDs) the Deftones album and the recent Code Orange album on the same day. The latter just feels so much more fresh and innovative. I was very surprised that Metal Hammer had Deftones as their album of the year over it.

Acole9

Outstanding
I have to say that I'm fairly disappointed with their new album. It just feels like going over old ground and the vocal melodies are weaker than previous albums. I found it fairly forgettable.

I bought (still buy some CDs) the Deftones album and the recent Code Orange album on the same day. The latter just feels so much more fresh and innovative. I was very surprised that Metal Hammer had Deftones as their album of the year over it.
Wow really? Fair enough. I would go as far as ranking right up there with their top albums. Not number one though that belongs to White Pony.

Most metal album lists either have Deftones or Code Orange as number one or two. I went for Deftones as one and Code Orange number two but there's little between them to be fair.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I agree that Code Orange are definitely doing something more innovative right now.

I liked the Deftones album quite a bit when it came out, and gave it 3 or 4 spins right away and liked it a lot, definitely my favourite of theirs for a good while. Admittedly, I've not gone back to it since then though. I've revisited the Code Orange album quite a lot since it came out. It definitely had more staying power with me.