Dejan Kulusevski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

I am swedish and never been that impressed with Kulusevski. Hopefully he will improve with more gametime.

I think there is talent in him that could suit PL, but not sure he will be first choice with Kane and Son in the team?
Or will they play 3 forwards now.

It is very different to the swedish set up, but we need him in form for the world cup qualifers. Personally would bench him depending on injuries and play Elanga, but we will see. I doubt Elanga without experience will start though.
Ibrahimovic is suspended and injured anyway and Isak had some issues. Forsberg is injured too.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
The kid can play, provided that he can run… he is not does not fit Allegri’s style because he is not smart enough yet to understand the different moments in a game (when to attack, when to defend, when to keep the ball). He is also technically raw and still needs time to complete his development. Conte would surely love his engine, though.
You Sir know what you are talking about. I've yet to understand Kulusevskis ideal position and it might in part be due to the aspects that you mention. He is deployed as a CF in a 4-4-2 in the NT and I take it as the Manager knows that Kulusevski is good enough overall but can't yet be relied upon as a CAM or Winger. And it's not that he fails tracking back, more so he has lots of guts and will burn energy at the wrong time.

At the same time he clearly isn't a CF at the moment either as he looks for the pass rather than the shot. Rather fast but in my honest opinion lacks blistering pace for the wings. With his main attributes (strong workrate, good left foot, eye for a pass, good for a goal) as well as his secondary (6.1 ft/186 cm, decent strength, willingness to run at people with good dribbling) he could become a box to box midfielder in a 4-3-3 and in due time with maturity even a cdm. Seen it before up close with Ze Roberto and Schweinsteiger, you guys saw Giggs do it when his legs went and he got mature.

Pintu

Bentancur is likely to partner Hoijbjerg. As your version of what Brozovic was doing for Conte at Inter. Whilst Kulu can be the Barella.
He is more like the Eriksen, if Conte wants to reproduce what he did at Inter where Brozovic (Højbjerg) sits deep and Barella (Bentancur) covers a lot of ground and Eriksen has the creative freedom it would look like this. But that system at Inter relied alot on Hakimi and Perisic on the winks. Both are very capable players with vision and technique, but not the best defenders.

This is how Inter played. I don't know, who would be the wingbacks in such a system at Spurs. But they can certainly gather a team like this towards the summer.

Pintu

Surprised that Conte sees Kulusevski as a potential wingback. Ok, Perisic did manage that transition pretty well in his 30s, but he's always been a hardworking winger and of course, he's been proven at the top level for years before Conte. Kulusevski is still a young talent, not a proven top player.

Either way, I hope he gets to play as much as possible before the WC playoffs.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Surprised that Conte sees Kulusevski as a potential wingback. Ok, Perisic did manage that transition pretty well in his 30s, but he's always been a hardworking winger and of course, he's been proven at the top level for years before Conte. Kulusevski is still a young talent, not a proven top player.

Either way, I hope he gets to play as much as possible before the WC playoffs.

Kulusevski loves to track back. He could easily be taught to be another Perisic by a Conte. Leaving room chase the likes of Kessie or Brozovic on frees to play in the middle

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Kulusevski has the workrate to play wing back but he's pretty left footed and they already have Reguilon and Sessegnon on that side. Hard to see Conte playing him at RWB if he can't cross or shoot very well with his right foot.

Perisic is technically right footed and played on the left for Conte but he is an unusually two footed player.

marktan

I was impressed by him against City from watching the highlights. Left footed wide players are a rare breed so possibly could've been one we should've kept our eye on.

I did actually watch him a fair bit at Juve when I watched them for Ronaldo, thought he was pretty good especially since he was only 19 or 20 at the time. The problem was that they had Bernadeschi who's basically the exact same player but more developed, and also Dybala who would occupy the wide right position.

But given that Spurs have no left footed forwards on their team, and given that Kulusevski has a good final ball and is young, combined with good finishers in Kane, Son and even Moura and Bergwin, could end up being a very astute pick by Spurs. Even if it's a bit jammy given they likely signed him and Bentancur because Patrici couldn't sign anyone else and so resorted to raiding his old club.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Would be pretty interesting having the two Swedes Elanga and Kulusevski on the same side. Good player, definitely one to monitor till the end of the season. We may even be in for Isak on top of that as we'll definitely need a striker next season.

MrSingh2002

I think he'd be most successful as an inverted winger. Playing from the right side? Kane up front and Son on the left.

That's Spurs most dangerous front 3 and if Conte wants to play an attacking 4231 he could also play Moura at number 10.

Conte is doing his thing and building a strong starting 11. All he needs now is a central midfielder and a defender or two.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he'd be most successful as an inverted winger. Playing from the right side? Kane up front and Son on the left.

That's Spurs most dangerous front 3 and if Conte wants to play an attacking 4231 he could also play Moura at number 10.

Conte is doing his thing and building a strong starting 11. All he needs now is a central midfielder and a defender or two.
That was how they played against city in a 3-5-2.

He looked pretty decent for his debut against city of all people. Looked a little slow but that might come with fitness.

Good technically and worked plenty hard.

Bertie Wooster

He's one I've been reasonably impressed by whenever I've seen him. Sweden have a decent young forward line with him and Isak. And Elanga in the U21's.

Not one I was particularly considering for us as I thought Juventus would keep him. And we had similarly young options like that with Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga...

But Spurs getting him on a lengthy loan was a surprise. And after the Greenwood situation and Martial loan I'd have been pleased with him coming here in that kind of a deal. A talented and very experienced (for a 21 year old) player to get on loan given his amount of games in Serie A and as a regular with Sweden.

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

That was how they played against city in a 3-5-2.

He looked pretty decent for his debut against city of all people. Looked a little slow but that might come with fitness.

Good technically and worked plenty hard.
Yeah strong and works hard. Might not have been a world beater in Italy but his attributes definitely suit the Premier League.

I think he'll prove a very successful signing. Still young with room to grow too. Time will tell.

van Nistelrooy

Why on earth didn't we aim to sign this guy on loan with the option to buy like Spurs?

Playing fantastic down the right for them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Why on earth didn't we aim to sign this guy on loan with the option to buy like Spurs?

Playing fantastic down the right for them.
because not Utd quality as per redcafe? United as always needs to aim higher and bring in player to take them up a level?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ole was a fan I seem to remember. We looked at him numerous times when he was at Parma.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not the sort of signing we’d make in a million years
Rice, Bellingham, Haaland are your target, not Kulusevski. Man Utd doesn't look at the same player pool as Arsenal and Spurs. You have a lot more budget (both transfer fee and wages) to play with.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Kulusevski, Isak, Elanga. Being Swede, can't complain :drool:

PoTMS

Players on deals with zero down side, massive up side? Nope, United aren't interested.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I highly doubt CL income make a dent to Man Utd's budget. Man Utd's income is huge. Man Utd is a huge brand with or without CL. Arsenal and Spurs are completely different story.
We are huge but income and transfer budget are two different things. Related.

It will have an impact as a lot of United sponsorship deals have CL clauses in. If we lose 10, 20, 40 million, personally, I think the club/Glazers will take that into account though they may surprise us and go down the ‘speculate to accumulate’ route

Pintu

I highly doubt CL income make a dent to Man Utd's budget. Man Utd's income is huge. Man Utd is a huge brand with or without CL. Arsenal and Spurs are completely different story.
That’s not accurate. The CL guarantees around £70M more than the Europa. And the sponsors pay less when we don’t participate in the CL. If we miss it 2 years in row then the Adidas deal would go down automatically by 20%. The overall impact can cost us circa 25% of the club’s yearly income.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
For clubs like Arsenal, Spurs and Leicester that would be suicidal to include CL participation for budget consideration. Chance is low for them to qualify the competition in a consistent basis.

van Nistelrooy

Rice, Bellingham, Haaland are your target, not Kulusevski. Man Utd doesn't look at the same player pool as Arsenal and Spurs. You have a lot more budget (both transfer fee and wages) to play with.
We need to stop looking to spend £50m+ on a player.

United are easily going to need 6-7 players to overhaul the squad this summer and we need to make our transfer budget stretch, even if it means bringing a player in on an initial loan with the option to buy.

Unfortunately, we'll throw a few contracts out to beg the likes of Lingard and Pogba to stay and bring in one star signing to sell shirts.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You do have some very promising players coming through. I'm really loving Kulu so far, he keeps his head up, is strong on the ball and is a clever player. Only 21 and looks the part already.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Honestly utd should look at your pool because wherever we look at, we manage to find the worst possible signing.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Honestly utd should look at your pool because wherever we look at, we manage to find the worst possible signing.
Can you imagine the reaction in Redcafe if Man Utd go for Adama Traore like Spurs and Barcelona in Jan? They will cut Glazer's head off.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Left footed right wingers seems to be rare these days. Great player. Great attitude. United should have gone for him

Surely Sweden's gonna qualify for the World Cup now? Pretty easy route anyways.

because not Utd quality as per redcafe? United as always needs to aim higher and bring in player to take them up a level?
And that is exactly the kind of mentality and line of thinking which makes United's transfer policy so unsuccessful.

The likes of Haaland were never coming. Should rather focus on realistic targets they can actually get.

Instead United will go out and buy English players for way above their value.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not enough of a household name for us to consider - we tend to go either for MOTD favourites like Wan Bissaka, Maguire or big names from elsewhere like Cavani, Ronaldo, Sancho, Pogba, Varane or Ronaldo

Bwuk

Really like what I’ve seen of him. He’s what we need on the right

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not enough of a household name for us to consider - we tend to go either for MOTD favourites like Wan Bissaka, Maguire or big names from elsewhere like Cavani, Ronaldo, Sancho, Pogba, Varane or Ronaldo
That is the spirit. MOTD favorite for manager belongs to Erik ten Hag. He is the ONE. A full circle back to Cruyff/Dutch possession based football.

Classical Mechanic

People are always way too reactive. He's had a great start but loads of players do when they land at a new club only to fade later. He may become a great player for Spurs but to draw conculusions or narratives at this point is boneheaded.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't believe Juve let him go. Bentancur, sure, but not this lad. Not because he's great (though he is very promising) but because their depth is shocking. Even before the injuries to Dybala, Chiesa, McKennie, Jorge, etc.

Pintu

Great attacking play, good job you have a world class solid defence led by Lindelof
Haha. He's good and he's our skipper now.

And I actually find Bologna's Svanberg (born in 99) even more exciting than the 3 forwards.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Can you imagine the reaction in Redcafe if Man Utd go for Adama Traore like Spurs and Barcelona in Jan? They will cut Glazer's head off.
There is always a middle ground isn't it ? Missing Traore is fine but spending 150m on James, Maguire and AWB is shocking way of doing business.

Chasing Cesc all summer and end up with Fellaini. Thiago was so close but fecking Moyes said No. Kroos was all set to join but LVG vetoed it. This is just a small sample. I can quote another 10 incidents where we screwed up big time.

We are very much a research paper on how not to run a football club.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There is always a middle ground isn't it ? Missing Traore is fine but spending 150m on James, Maguire and AWB is shocking way of doing business.

Chasing Cesc all summer and end up with Fellaini. Thiago was so close but fecking Moyes said No. Kroos was all set to join but LVG vetoed it. This is just a small sample. I can quote another 10 incidents where we screwed up big time.

We are very much a research paper on how not to run a football club.
The common thread to all of that being you give waaaaay too much power to your managers

Can you imagine liverpool with brandt instead of salah?

Status
Not open for further replies.