Dele Alli | Overlap Interview with Neville opens up on childhood trauma and mental health issues

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I took a gander at the old threads, and whilst I think most accurately assess him as a somewhat limited player getting more from his talent than he ought to, there are some shocking takes in there:
Classic case of hindsight fallacy. He was clearly a talented player but failed to fulfil his potential.

galwayfa

Have to say I rated him highly, was mad Van Gaal didn't sign him after MK Don's defeat, Very surprised of his decline but as others have said, a lot of money so early 8n sporting life, just shows you to stay at the top can be harder than getting there

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Classic case of hindsight fallacy. He was clearly a talented player but failed to fulfil his potential.
No. There was never any hindsight needed to determine that his technical ability was nowhere near someone like Gerrard.

Zen

David Bentley syndrome I reckon - his hearts probably not in it regardless of the talent and work that got him to this level, and that's fine to be fair.... he can do what he wants when the casual paydays stop.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Well done, Dele. Takes courage to be open and speak out about mental issues, s*xual and substance abuse. Hope as he says he’s now in a better place and gets to enjoy life, whether in football or outside the sport.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Brave for him to speak as candidly about the issue he is facing, hopefully he can rebuild his career.

Also very interesting to hear yet another professional footballer speak about sleeping tablets and how addiction and use of them is rife in football.
Yet still the FA won't do anything about it.

Erics_Collar

It's amazing he ever made it to the heights he did. Enough had happened to him where you would have understood if he had went off the rails completely and never made it in football.

Great that he's in a good place now, and as unimportant as football is in the grand scheme of things, it would be great to see him in his prime again. He was exceptional for Spurs.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Insensitive post
I find it weird how some of you are accepting this. The guy signed a 6year record deal with Spurs in 2018 worth over 150k and did feck all to justify it.
But because he had drug poblems because of apparent' Mental Issues' you're all 'Oh it's ok we forgive you'
He said he couldn't sleep cause of adrenalin? But he was partying every day like a madman, fecking women - even posted a fricking sextape...
If you train properly you will be tired at the end of the day so this bs about adrenalin i don't believe one bit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I find it weird how some of you are accepting this. The guy signed a 6year record deal with Spurs in 2018 worth over 150k and did feck all to justify it.
But because he had drug poblems because of apparent' Mental Issues' you're all 'Oh it's ok we forgive you'
He said he couldn't sleep cause of adrenalin? But he was partying every day like a madman, fecking women - even posted a fricking sextape...
If you train properly you will be tired at the end of the day so this bs about adrenalin i don't believe one bit.
How does it feel to know the only reason some people still want you around here is because you can make gifs?

suheilsworld

Well put! Totally agree

Santos J

Hahahaha came in to say I wonder what GifLord thinks but he's already here!

About as expected.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How does it feel to know the only reason some people still want you around here is because you can make gifs?
The perfect retort to a shockingly poor post.

Well done.

Santos J

Imagine having 22k posts, 21.9k being just GIFs and your username being GifLord yet you're still just known for having absolutely awful takes

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Ever thought him getting abused as a child might've made him numb the pain with drugs and alcohol? I'm happy for you if you don't have childhood trauma to deal with.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I'd ban you for this if I could. My only hope is that you haven't actually watched the full interview.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
You have a long way to go. I hope you're young.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ffs. It’s understandable prior to this stuff coming out to think he was doing these things because he was a twat and had an attitude problem but this interview completely explains why he was having issues while playing football and to not comprehend that makes you severely lack any empathy. I sincerely hope that you and anyone you know never have to go through the trauma that Dele has.

OverratedOpinion

Young lad who had a terrible childhood develops addiction issues, nearly loses everything, goes and does something about it and then opens up.

Your response - "pfft should of just trained harder you wimp"

GifLord

Inappropriate Behavior
Ffs. It’s understandable prior to this stuff coming out to think he was doing these things because he was a twat and had an attitude problem but this interview completely explains why he was having issues while playing football and to not comprehend that makes you severely lack any empathy. I sincerely hope that you and anyone you know never have to go through the trauma that Dele has.
He was doing this shit when he was at the top of his game back in 2016-17.
You easily accept players mental issues but then you could do the same for serial killers, hedge fund bankers who wasted money, a girl who cheated on you multiple times,...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You easily accept players mental issues but then you could do the same for serial killers, hedge fund bankers who wasted money, a girl who cheated on you multiple times,...
You haven’t watched the interview, you’ve just wanted to come in here and give your shit take as usual. Comparing a footballer with a serial killer ffs.

GifLord

You haven’t watched the interview, you’ve just wanted to come in here and give your shit take as usual. Comparing a footballer with a serial killer ffs.
I've watched it. That's why i find the reactions here so weird. I can already see a similar video with Sancho in 5 years time and everyone's gonna believe it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He was molested when he was 6 years old and as a result of that and other childhood trauma he has self destructive tendencies and his footballing career suffered as a result.

Accepting that is easier for some than accepting a serial killer. You surely see this right? What is going on in your head?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Anyone got a gif of @GifLord getting booted off the caf for being a knobhead?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I've watched it. That's why i find the reactions here so weird. I can already see a similar video with Sancho in 5 years time and everyone's gonna believe it.
If you have watched it and have that view then there really is no point discussing the topic with you. You have a shocking lack of empathy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you have watched it and have that view then there really is no point discussing the topic with you. You have a shocking lack of empathy.
Ironically there might even be something going on with GifLord that make him this way but until he accepts that there's not much helping him.

OverratedOpinion

Ironically there might even be something going on with GifLord that make him this way but until he accepts that there's not much helping him.
To me it just feels like something you'd read from a 13 year old Andrew Tate fan.

"Got depression? Get in the gym more you pussy!"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was molested when he was 6 years old and as a result of that and other childhood trauma he has self destructive tendencies and his footballing career suffered as a result.

Accepting that is easier for some than accepting a serial killer. You surely see this right? What is going on in your head?
To be honest, I find the decision to put “girl who cheated on you several times” alongside serial killers the most disturbing thing in that post.

Ibi Dreams

What the feck are these comparisons?

By the way, it's been known for quite a long time that he had a very difficult childhood. This isn't the first time it's come up, and anyone with an ounce of empathy would understand how that could traumatise someone and lead to issues in their adult life.

GifLord

So let me get this straight. When he was at the top of his game scoring for fun and playing great football he had none of these issues. But then his form drops massively he can't pass the ball to save his life he suddenly has mental problems?
Everyone suffers one way or another but you don't go public with it do you when you're shit at your job ?

KjaAnd

You're completely ignoring the circumstances in his upbringing that have led him down a dark path.

His mom was an alcoholic. He was sexually abused at 6 years old. Sent to Africa to learn discipline at 7. Got into drug dealing 8. Hung off a bridge at 11. Adopted at 12.

The man is deeply traumatised. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand why he has made some stupid choices.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wtf is going on in here.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So let me get this straight. When he was at the top of his game scoring for fun and playing great football he had none of these issues. But then his form drops massively he can't pass the ball to save his life he suddenly has mental problems?
Everyone suffers one way or another but you don't go public with it do you when you're shit at your job ?
When he was at the top of his game scoring for fun and playing great football he had all of those issues.

You do realise things like this can fluctuate? He maybe buried it or was just dealing with it very well at the time. It's evident that a lot of things eventually made him spiral and he reached rock bottom which has led to him finally addressing it.

I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you cannot be this ignorant.