Deloitte Football Money League 2019: Real Madrid richest ahead of Barcelona and Manchester United

rollingstoned1

https://news.sky.com/story/deloitte...d-of-barcelona-and-manchester-united-11615915

Premier League giants Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham also in the top 10.

Real Madrid have replaced Manchester United as the world's wealthiest club, according to the latest Deloitte Football Money League.

Manchester United slipped into third spot after generating £590m - representing a comparatively low two per cent year-on-year increase.
Manchester City retained their fifth-place ranking with revenues of £504m - an 11 per cent rise from 2016/17 figures. Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich ranked fourth for a second year running with £557m, while Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain climbed one place into sixth spot on £480m.
Premier League leaders Liverpool recorded the biggest income increase from clubs in the top 10, with profits soaring 25 per cent to £455m, while Chelsea also achieved an impressive 22 per cent growth with £448m.

Manchester United have slipped to third Arsenal (£389m) dropped three places into ninth spot after missing out on Champions League football for the first time in 20 years, but narrowly trumped north London rivals Tottenham (£379m). This is a limited version of the story so unfortunately this content is not available. Open the full version Everton (£189m), West Ham (£175m) and Newcastle (£179m) also made the top 20, with Rafa Benitez's side recording a chart-topping 108 per cent increase in revenue - up from £86m in 2016/17. Other clubs to make the annual index include Juventus (£350m), Borussia Dortmund (£281m), Atletico Madrid (£270m), Inter Milan (£249m), Roma (£222m), Schalke (£216m) and AC Milan (£184m).

Dan Jones, head of the Sports Business Group at Deloitte, said: "Real Madrid's outstanding financial performance in 2017/18 is built on their long history of success on the pitch, most recently three consecutive Champions League titles. "This has enabled the club to continue to drive commercial revenue as the appetite to partner with Europe's most successful clubs remains stronger than ever."

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Not surprising after their recent CL dominance.

I wonder how much that Real/Barca 1-2 owes to Messi & Ronaldo.

What currency? If its done in pounds then no wonder converting Madrid's Euros makes them look like the biggest.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
What currency? If its done in pounds then no wonder converting Madrid's Euros makes them look like the biggest.
Does it matter. Whatever currency it’s converted in the results will be the same.

Sterling has weakened yes, however for the commercial contracts, nothing is stopping the English clubs being paid in euros or $ to diversify currency risk.

Spark

City at 504 vs our 590. Seems legit.
City must be fuming that they only needed to up one of their sponsorships by 87 mil, seeing as this is only based on revenue. Lesson learned for next year.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The history and goodwill left from Sir Alex have kept sponsors sweet at United. If the same mediocrity is served for a few more years some of that money will flow to other clubs.

Madrid and Barca have the South American market. United need to up their game on the pitch and finding some footballing gems from S Korea, Japan and China would help massively in the sponsorship stakes.

El Zoido

The history and goodwill left from Sir Alex have kept sponsors sweet at United. If the same mediocrity is served for a few more years some of that money will flow to other clubs.

Madrid and Barca have the South American market. United need to up their game on the pitch and finding some footballing gems from S Korea, Japan and China would help massively in the sponsorship stakes.
It’s amazing how the club has continued on as if the money will keep flowing forever, regardless of on-pitch performances and trophies. Top four has really seemed to be the target. Jose would still be here if we’d been looking comfortable for a CL place.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Crazy to see that teams like West Ham and Newcastle are this shite, while being so rich. Something systematically going very wrong there.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

You couldn't have picked a better time to get back to winning ways. Right on the rise of the Premier League & Champions League, globalization of viewing rights, international fanbases, etc. If you'd been just a few years slower, I reckon football would be a very different looking place.

Does it matter. Whatever currency it’s converted in the results will be the same.

Sterling has weakened yes, however for the commercial contracts, nothing is stopping the English clubs being paid in euros or $ to diversify currency risk.
Of course it does. If Madrid report in Euros and we report in Sterling it will skew the figures when you convert it to one or the other.

LingardsBoots

its not our money so who gives a toss? I don't.
Its all about winning trophies and being successful on the pitch, what happens off it is of no relevance at all.
hey just my humble opinion of course.

cyberman

Nah. Madrid have won 4 out of 5 CL and only overcame us because Pete from Swansea hates the Polish and lowered the average rate of the Sterling.
Utd will always be up there because of our fanbase. Anyway, actual success and trophies seem to be lessened in value these days.
Not winning isn't seen as the disaster it used to be

Rafeeq RSA

I’m surprised by this stats , for some reason I though United would be right at the top due to the TV money and sponsors we have compared to the lot in Spain....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are stuck in fairly long term deals with sponsors. The only way we can increase growth is to start consistently going deep I to the CL.
I reckon within three years, City would have caught up.

Nebeolisa Cyril

The only thing that affected our turnover was our performance when we were playing awful under Jose

Last edited by a moderator:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We are stuck in fairly long term deals with sponsors. The only way we can increase growth is to start consistently going deep I to the CL.
I reckon within three years, City would have caught up.
It wouldn't surprise me to see City at the top in three season's time, whether it's legitimate or artificial will remain open to debate.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
My God, you are poor. Meanwhile we clean our ass with 50 € notes.
Don´t worry, if our clubs ever have a first date, we pay for it.

crossy1686

career ending
I think, more than anything, this is why Jose got the sack. Makes Ed's job so much more difficult selling sponsorship with that cnut as manager.
Watched a documentary once that interviewed a few behind the scenes men at clubs. Basically said it's the accountants that say whether a manager is fired or not at the end of the day. To an extent, I agree with that.

AndyJ1985

It makes no difference until we start to actually invest our money wisely in the team.

Woziak

Madrid have spent no real transfer money, increased sponsorship and Barcelona received over €300M Euros in transfer, 220M of which for Neymar was paid as a full payment not ammortised, this is not really surprising with Bourinho at the helm add the reduced fees for CL last season by qualifying through the Europa League and this is not a shock, our wage bill is still 53-54% of turnover and the Board rightly expect more from players like Lukaku 250k per week, Sanchez 450k per week and others not pulling their weight. It's a simple matter of economics if you are not getting the right results on the pitch, turnover will stand still, previous season we won the Europa League and League Cup and bounced the revenue.

Ole would love to have his own squad in his own image that pays over £300M per year in wages, we simply need to ship out the deadweight, at least 6 or 7 players and replace them with younger more energetic talents that understand the size and responsibility of the club so we can be a permanent fixture in the Top 2 in the PL then the money will come pouring back in!

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Of course it does. If Madrid report in Euros and we report in Sterling it will skew the figures when you convert it to one or the other.
Please elaborate with an example as I do not follow this. Would converting not make it comparable...

Please elaborate with an example as I do not follow this. Would converting not make it comparable...
If last year Madrid made 500m Euros and Manchester United made 440m pounds, the exchange rate would make that about 430m pounds for Madrid. If they make the exact same amount this year and use last week's exchange rate, its 450m pounds. They could make the exact same amount of money from one year to the next but it would look like they'd overtaken us.

Miscemayl

Great news, maybe other clubs will think we are poor and stop charging us so much

deafepl

When you consider the pounds weakening and revenue in term of matchday stadium, sponsorship and domestic broadcasting, we're still richer than them without UCL deep run and trophies sponsorship bonus, that's why we are most valuable sports club in the world because we have most guaranteed revenue than anyone

As Woodward expected us to increase by 620-630m this season due to UCL via second placed finished and new sleeve sponsorship deal. If we're still in UCL next season, we can expect 20m extra from international TV right deals despite getting bigger shares of cash, that would put us at 650m next season, so if we reach UCL final and win UCL, we'd earning 60m-70m more and 10-20m from match day.

Our Aon and Chevrolet deals are expiring in 2021, I'd expect a new deal done in 2020 and run from 2021.