Deloitte Football Money League: Barcelona richest ahead of Real Madrid and Manchester United

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern just extended their sponsorship with Audi

Suedesi

That's a pretty dim view of him. He's a physics graduate who retrained as an accountant and made a very rapid career progression as an investment banker working on prestige mergers and acquisitions like Man Utd for J&P Morgan.
When compared to average punter on the street, I'm sure he's a very accomplished bloke.

But, he’s running a multi billion dollar business, so when he’s measured by that stick he’s not that impressive.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
But, he’s running a multi billion dollar business, so when he’s measured by that stick he’s not that impressive.
Indeed:

Especially in the last 3-4 years we've been lagging. Literally all the other major players have gained ground on us since 2016 (except for Arsenal, who have plummeted out of the top 10). Now off course this is related to on field performances, but for all of Ed's bluster about being the richest club in the world, it sure is alarming to see the likes of Liverpool rapidly gaining ground on us!

RoyH1

Our revenue is not abysmal considering how mediocre we've been since Fergie left. But I hope that the myth of Woodward the master dealmaker and our cringeworthy "biggest club in the world" mantra are finally put to rest. We need to get back to our winning ways in order not to fall further behind other European giants.

Infra-red

Indeed:

Especially in the last 3-4 years we've been lagging. Literally all the other major players have gained ground on us since 2016 (except for Arsenal, who have plummeted out of the top 10). Now off course this is related to on field performances, but for all of Ed's bluster about being the richest club in the world, it sure is alarming to see the likes of Liverpool rapidly gaining ground on us!
But Ed Woodward told us all that performance on the pitch has no meaningful impact on commercial revenues!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
:nono: That's not going to happen especially when your out of the CL.
But we're not out of the CL. And even if we aren't in the CL next season, the full impact of income from our new stadium has not yet kicked in by some margin. As I've said before, some folk on here have wildly under-estimated how much extra revenue this is going to bring in for Spurs.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
But we're not out of the CL. And even if we aren't in the CL next season, the full impact of income from our new stadium has not yet kicked in by some margin. As I've said before, some folk on here have wildly under-estimated how much extra revenue this is going to bring in for Spurs.
It won't make up 80-100 million that you bring in from your CL run to the final last year... that's why the figures are inflated right now. To think you can pass us next year is a stupid dream, Glaston :)

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
How did schalke make this list? Didn't know they are such a force commercially especially given how they're always losing their best players

redshaw

Indeed:

Funny our downturn completely coincides with Jose's tenure and is up with LVG and Ole.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It won't make up 80-100 million that you bring in from your CL run to the final last year... that's why the figures are inflated right now. To think you can pass us next year is a stupid dream, Glaston :)
First, I said that matching Liverpool's income is the next financial target for Spurs - I didn't say it would be reached "next year".

Second, last year was not a full season in our new stadium, and nor will the income from our new stadium complex be maximised even for this season (our first full season in the new stadium) - there are several additional components yet to come on-stream. When that income is maximised you might wish to revisit your claim that it won't bring in an additional £80-100 million.

Third, who yet knows about CL income in the years to come for both clubs? Liverpool spent many years outside the CL until fairly recently - another fallow period could happen again. And meanwhile our increased income from the new stadium will continue regardless.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
First, I said that matching Liverpool's income is the next financial target for Spurs - I didn't say it would be reached "next year".

Second, last year was not a full season in our new stadium, and nor will the income from our new stadium complex be maximised even for this season (our first full season in the new stadium) - there are several additional components yet to come on-stream. When that income is maximised you might wish to revisit your claim that it won't bring in an additional £80-100 million.

Third, who yet knows about CL income in the years to come for both clubs? Liverpool spent many years outside the CL until fairly recently - another fallow period could happen again. And meanwhile our increased income from the new stadium will continue regardless.
Looking at the league table right now it's difficult to see Spurs in the CL next season. It remains to be seen if Jose has it in him to get anywhere near the great manager he once was. 2 or 3 years out of the CL will have a fairly significant effect on your income regardless of the extra money you get from increased gate receipts. For starters, potential new sponsors won't be prepared to pay big bucks if the CL anthem isn't being heard at your new stadium for any length of time.

RoyH1

How did schalke make this list? Didn't know they are such a force commercially especially given how they're always losing their best players
Very well supported club in the heartland of industrial Germany.

Paul_Scholes18

Didn't know the German clubs made that much money compared to the PL sides. Thought the PL tv deal would give our clubs more. I guess they make more money commercially though which seems a bit strange. Dortmund and Schalke are not doing too well given how much money they make though.
Juventus still behind and can still afford Ronaldo which is impressive. I guess he gives them a huge sponsorship boost though.
Us and Arsenal suffers from being outside CL football no doubt about that.

Feels like we are going to decline though given how poorly run we are. Still Schalke is around so loyal supporters will probably still pay even if their is no CL football around.
Liverpool are going to get past us though.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Don't we have a bit of impact from the FX rate falling since 2016 in general as well? I think we could have 10% more on that value.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I mean... City cooking their books is kind of a big story? Unless you think a club with 2 titles in 5 years, nowhere in Europe with a tiny fanbase is able to generate such buzz that they become a runaway financial train?
City's accounts mean absolutely nothing when their owner also owns nearly all the companies that provide sponsorship income to the club. It's financial doping.
Pretty fair points but I'd wince if United took up the stance of poo-pooing City's "creative" accounting.