Denmark - Euro 2021 Discussion

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I thought the wingers were quite good, both Miehle and Damsgaard had moments driving at the fragile Belgium defence. The coach needs to put in more of those risk taking players and lessen the reliance on water carriers like Poulsen and Braithwaite. The midfield is plenty hardworking already, you need attackers who take risks and make things happen.

Jev

Really? Not even has a creative back up force? Was pretty amazing against us in the Europa last season :lol:
He's a good player but definitely overperformed in that game. Wouldn't say he's miles away from the bench, though, think he's pretty close to the squad.
I thought the wingers were quite good, both Miehle and Damsgaard had moments driving at the fragile Belgium defence. The coach needs to put in more of those risk taking players and lessen the reliance on water carriers like Poulsen and Braithwaite. The midfield is plenty hardworking already, you need attackers who take risks and make things happen.
I thought Braithwaite was brilliant yesterday (except for his shooting), created lots of dangerous situations.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Does anyone know why they changed their home kit last night to a full red kit, badge, kit make, everything was fully red.

Yet the game on Saturday they had their traditional white sleeves and white shorts.
Three kits were released for the EUROS. Less chance for clashing colors I guess

Mike Smalling

I would tend to agree - at least for the game against Russia. Braithwaite and Poulsen are good options against a team like Belgium because they are disciplined, hard-working and good on the break. For the Russia game I would love to see both Damsgaard and Skov Olsen starting, since they have more flair and creativity. Then I would probably put either Wind or Cornelius on top as the focal point and to add an aerial threat. I would be surprised if Hjulmand goes for that solution, though.

simmee

I was really impressed by Damsgaard!

For all the talk about Norway and their talents, Denmark really is the best team here in the Nordics and I suspect that you will continue to be so... Might not always get the best results of course but the football you are capable of playing is miles better than anything the rest of us can produce.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was really impressed by Damsgaard!

For all the talk about Norway and their talents, Denmark really is the best team here in the Nordics and I suspect that you will continue to be so... Might not always get the best results of course but the football you are capable of playing is miles better than anything the rest of us can produce.
I don't know what they do differently in Denmark, but in my lifetime, apart from a couple of years here and there during Zlatan's prime, Denmark have always been the best team out of Scandinavia. Norway's time is coming though. Haaland, Odegaard and co will take Norway to a couple of tournaments.

simmee

I don't know what they do differently in Denmark, but in my lifetime, apart from a couple of years here and there during Zlatan's prime, Denmark have always been the best team out of Scandinavia. Norway's time is coming though. Haaland, Odegaard and co will take Norway to a couple of tournaments.
Agree! Denmark has always, generally, had a higher technical level imo. Sweden had some years with a few world class or slightly below world class players which took us to a higher level then Denmark for a while.

justsomebloke

I think there's lots of quality in this Danish team - particularly the central spine - and they showed that by really dominating the game against Belgium. But also I think that game and the Finland game told a similar story about its limitations, each in its way.

Which is, basically, the offensive end product. Braithwaite, Poulsen etc are good players, but there is no finisher of international calibre. Against Finland, they were unable to break down a much inferior team that defended desperately with 10 men behind the ball. Against Belgium, they impressed hugely by dominating a game against a better team, but though they created many more chances than Belgium, they were outscored. And I don't think that was just bad luck either.

Wish them all the best, but really don't see how they're going far in this tournament if they can't beat weaker teams who low-block them, nor stronger teams even if they dominate them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I would tend to agree - at least for the game against Russia. Braithwaite and Poulsen are good options against a team like Belgium because they are disciplined, hard-working and good on the break. For the Russia game I would love to see both Damsgaard and Skov Olsen starting, since they have more flair and creativity. Then I would probably put either Wind or Cornelius on top as the focal point and to add an aerial threat. I would be surprised if Hjulmand goes for that solution, though.
Some players just seem to have a knack for goals in crucial or big moments. Poulsen will never be confused for an prolific striker, but he'll always be a memorable player for me.

Mike Smalling

Some players just seem to have a knack for goals in crucial or big moments. Poulsen will never be confused for an prolific striker, but he'll always be a memorable player for me.
Absolutely. But his most important goals for Denmark have come on quick breaks (Peru, Switzerland and Belgium). He is not usually the one to come up with something against the deep teams.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely. But his most important goals for Denmark have come on quick breaks (Peru, Switzerland and Belgium). He is not usually the one to come up with something against the deep teams.
I'd agree in that my preference would be to have Damsgaard and Skov Olsen flanking someone like Cornelius, but it's a big ask of Hjulmand to leave out his trusted lieutenants in a do or die situation.

Tactically Poulsen would be a great weapon to bring on in the second half if Denmark are leading the game. I'm rather confident whatever the line up though.

Mike Smalling

I'd agree in that my preference would be to have Damsgaard and Skov Olsen flanking someone like Cornelius, but it's a big ask of Hjulmand to leave out his trusted lieutenants in a do or die situation.

Tactically Poulsen would be a great weapon to bring on in the second half if Denmark are leading the game. I'm rather confident whatever the line up though.
Yeah, it won’t happen. I would expect something like this:

Schmeichel
Wass - Christensen - Kjær - Mæhle
Højbjerg - Delaney
Jensen
Braithwaite - Cornelius - Damsgaard

Maybe harsh to leave out Poulsen after he got the goal yesterday, but Braithwaite had the better overall game and is better in tight spaces. Damsgaard almost has to play again.

RoyH1

Yeah, it won’t happen. I would expect something like this:

Schmeichel
Wass - Christensen - Kjær - Mæhle
Højbjerg - Delaney
Jensen
Braithwaite - Cornelius - Damsgaard

Maybe harsh to leave out Poulsen after he got the goal yesterday, but Braithwaite had the better overall game and is better in tight spaces. Damsgaard almost has to play again.
Yeah, Damsgaard has to start against the Russians. He created so many dangerous situations against Belgium.

Mike Smalling

Man, I'm excited for the game tonight! Not going to get any work done today :cool:

If we do end up winning and thereby getting 2nd place (assuming Belgium do their duty), we would be facing Wales in the Round of 16. Obviously, they have done well, but it would still be a good match-up for us. Let's go!

Ralaks

Same - I got a confirmation of ticket mid meeting at work, I have no recollection of what was discussed after the notification

Mike Smalling

Same - I got a confirmation of ticket mid meeting at work, I have no recollection of what was discussed after the notification
Congrats! Parken will be electric once again. The national anthem always gives me goosebumbs just for qualifying games, so can't imagine how great it will be tonight!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Man, I'm excited for the game tonight! Not going to get any work done today :cool:

If we do end up winning and thereby getting 2nd place (assuming Belgium do their duty), we would be facing Wales in the Round of 16. Obviously, they have done well, but it would still be a good match-up for us. Let's go!
Yeah, when you look at this way, Russia and Wales [and Belgium beating Finland of course] stand in between Denmark and the QF. That's a quite favourable route to the QF, and I'm sure the Welsh and the Russians are thinking exactly the same.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Congrats! Parken will be electric once again. The national anthem always gives me goosebumbs just for qualifying games, so can't imagine how great it will be tonight!
I remember standing outside of Parken as a little kid in the late 90's, it was a game against Holland. I don't know if you can still do it now, but in those days if you stood at the corner of the stadium, outside there was a big gate but you could peep through the gate and see a tiny part of the pitch near the corner flag. My older brother and I stood there the whole game. We caught the odd glimpse of Helveg, Bjarne Goldbaek, Tofting, but also van Nistelrooy, Kluivert and Seedorf etc. I've always wanted to go back there as an adult and watch the national team play.

Mike Smalling

I remember standing outside of Parken as a little kid in the late 90's, it was a game against Holland. I don't know if you can still do it now, but in those days if you stood at the corner of the stadium, outside there was a big gate but you could peep through the gate and see a tiny part of the pitch near the corner flag. My older brother and I stood there the whole game. We caught the odd glimpse of Helveg, Bjarne Goldbaek, Tofting, but also van Nistelrooy, Kluivert and Seedorf etc. I've always wanted to go back there as an adult and watch the national team play.
You should do it! After I moved to Copenhagen, I have probably been to 5-7 games, and it's good fun every time. It's also relatively cheap. And you never know when DBU decides to scrap Parken and build some soulless new arena in some dark corner of Amager or Jutland. The beauty of Parken is in its proximity to the City.

Last edited:

Basso

Lack of killing instinct! We have the clumsiest strikers around in Braithwaite and Poulsen but with that said, today we will score 3 goals.

Mickson

I've been at Parken once, couldn't see much due to the police spraying tear gas at me. Otherwise, seems decent.

RoyH1

I was there on Thursday and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. I hope it's the same tonight.

ROFLUTION

Exciting game tonight. I'm afraid we lack the killer-instincts that other top-teams possess, but in creativity we can be up there with the top teams of the tournament as we play like a unit.

Michael Laudrup said it really well - every time Denmark has been the underdog, it has gone well. It is when we are favorites for something, then we are usually getting knocked out of the tournaments.

Ralaks

Thanks, now just fingers crossed my test comes back negative!

Think my last football game was the last game before covid, going to be so psyched to hear the anthem, and the atmosphere too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Got a feeling Denmark-Wales going all the way to penalties, will be very tight.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
@Ralaks What a game to be witness live. I hope you enjoyed that mate. Enjoy the night. Fecking buzzing with that.

RoyH1

Sådan Danmark!!

The feelings after Eriksen almost died on the pitch and the loss to Finland, and now getting to the knockout rounds. Fantastic!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Sucks for Finland, happy for Denmark though
Aye, but I'm minded to not be too sympathetic to Finland given they profited from the ghastly Eriksen situation to a large degree. I think everybody knows Belgium and Denmark are the two best teams from that group.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Blimey what a hit ! Love the scenes after it. Well done Denmark.
Almost Tomori at Wolves-esque that. He had a decent scoring record at Gladbach. Need to bring some of that to Chelsea next season.

Ralaks

feck me, I dont even know what to type. Just got home, amazing. One of my best experiences, ever. Got work in the morning, and drunk as hell, but absolutely no regrets.

fecking hell.

Mike Smalling

That was fecking magical! What a rollercoaster with the penalty, Belgiums disallowed goal etc. Thought we were gonna be fecked by the ref after he missed a clear second yellow and gave a soft pen, but we came through!

These lads have something going for them. May not be clinical going forward, but there is still quality and heart!

Particularly impressed with Mæhle! What an engine and quite effective for a right-footed left back.

Buzzing! Can’t believe I have to work tomorrow..

Ralaks

I am so delighted for Mæhle and Damsgård, if 2 players deserved to score..

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That was fecking magical! What a rollercoaster with the penalty, Belgiums disallowed goal etc. Thought we were gonna be fecked by the ref after he missed a clear second yellow and gave a soft pen, but we came through!

These lads have something going for them. May not be clinical going forward, but there is still quality and heart!

Particularly impressed with Mæhle! What an engine and quite effective for a right-footed left back.

Buzzing! Can’t believe I have to work tomorrow..
I really thought it was going to slip away when the ref didn't give a second yellow to the Russian defender then minutes later gave them a pen. Football is sometimes all.about momentum, and for a couple of minutes after making it 2-1 Russia were actually posing a threat.

But this team is very special, they have overcome something traumatic, suffered two rather undeserved losses found themselves on 0 points. They regrouped and played Russia completely off the park.

No matter what happens now this is already the most memorable major tournament for Denmark since 98.

Last edited: