Denzel Dumfries

ti vu

He's actually very smart and cunning on the pitch, the type who will always give a little push or step on someones toes when the ref is not watching, and he's also very intelligent and self aware off the pitch. He just has no technique or composure, so he looks like a mad bull at times which I imagine led to the brainless comments. Like others are saying, he's a bit like Valencia, only with even less technical ability and marginally less pure pace. Fantastic athlete though, incredible determination and mentality.

Absolutely love the guy, Denzel would be a dream signing from a personal POV and I think objectively a very good RB option for us compared to what we have now, at least for the price quoted.
Unless we play back 3 or play him as RW, I think he's a bad fit for us in the back 4 as AWB in possession based football.

His best quality is on opposition half, even final third. He's a pseudo final third attacker, but lacking the ball carrying and passing tool in the build up. The only good defensive thing about him is aerial ability. So yeah, I don't see a defender in him.

Cloud7

Looks like reports are accurate that the list from our scouting department has been torn up to focus on ten Hag's own targets.
If this is the same scouting department who scouted 800 RB’s and decided AWB was the one to sign, then I am okay with their list being torn up. We can revisit them in a couple years after they have had some time to get their affairs in order.

Giggsy13

If this is the same scouting department who scouted 800 RB’s and decided AWB was the one to sign, then I am okay with their list being torn up. We can revisit them in a couple years after they have had some time to get their affairs in order.
100% agree with that. Our previous scouts were a complete joke.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's someone I really like watching in inter but not sure if he suits us or not.

Doubt there's anything to it though.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Unless we play back 3 or play him as RW, I think he's a bad fit for us in the back 4 as AWB in possession based football.

His best quality is on opposition half, even final third. He's a pseudo final third attacker, but lacking the ball carrying and passing tool in the build up. The only good defensive thing about him is aerial ability. So yeah, I don't see a defender in him.
It's definitely true that he's showed his best form on a higher level than Eredivisie in a 3 CB/5 defender system, but I disagree that he's not got any defensive ability. He's a tough, tenacious tackler, fast, physically strong, relatively tall, good in the air like you say, doesn't shy away from a challenge. Given the ridiculous amount of money and talent in the Premier League, I guess he wouldn't be anything special from a defensive point of view compared to other players at other teams, maybe that's what you're trying to say. But it's not like he's got no defensive ability, not at all.

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Dumfries is a classic case of a square peg in a round hole. As previously stated, he excels as a wing back, where he can capitalize on his strengths, which are his elite offensive movement and positioning. To be fair, his passing game is mediocre at best.

Bole Top

these 5 pages are gold. usually it's "he can't defend, but he's good in the buildup" or the opposite.

reading this thread, he can't defend to save his life, he is poor at 1 on 1 and has no composure, but at least is limited and brainless, with worse technique than AWB and can't pass or dribble. lovely.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
these 5 pages are gold. usually it's "he can't defend, but he's good in the buildup" or the opposite.

reading this thread, he can't defend to save his life, he is poor at 1 on 1 and has no composure, but at least is limited and brainless, with worse technique than AWB and can't pass or dribble. lovely.
This. I thought that he is very good fb (based only on few games that i watched him) but reading this i don't know what to think anymore. I didn't watch him enough to make my own opinion about him but based on this thread he is worse than AWB ffs

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Can we go for Livramento instead? Southampton sell for reasonable money and he is class, premier league proven and Chelsea are unlikely to exercise their buyback clause now when they have other areas to address.

Can we go for Livramento instead? Southampton sell for reasonable money and he is class, premier league proven and Chelsea are unlikely to exercise their buyback clause now when they have other areas to address.
He’s badly injured, he probably won’t play till next year.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
To be honest. I am not a fan of him. He came from psv where i found him below average. But where he lacks in technique , he levels it out with his attitude. The dutch call him a workinghorse. He was laughed at when he said he wanted to play for the national team. But he even scores goals there

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was a steam train down the right for the Dutch NT during the Euros, haven’t seen him at club level - why do people not want him?
I recall enjoying him charging up the flank in that tournament and thinking how badly United are starved of that from RB.
Personally, I think we are really lacking at RB and I'd put it as an important area to address, but Dumfries does seem to be the only RB that we are even being linked with atm, so who knows..?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's a good player. Disrespected by the "he's not Xavi so he can't play football" crowd. Players can have other attributes than just ability to recycle the ball. Someone who can cross better than Dalot is the bar right now FFS.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
To be honest. I am not a fan of him. He came from psv where i found him below average. But where he lacks in technique , he levels it out with his attitude. The dutch call him a workinghorse. He was laughed at when he said he wanted to play for the national team. But he even scores goals there
Sounds like our own GNev2. :drool:
He did okay at RB for United.

davidmichael

I’ve read a lot about Malacia also having a fantastic attitude too and maybe that’s something that ETH is very big on, he wants a certain mindset and attitude in his players .

Also isn’t one of De Jong’s traits that he slots in between the centre backs when the full backs bomb forward as effectively a third centre back ? Let’s just say we sign both Dumfries and Malacia wouldn’t it be great to see those two supporting Antony and Sancho with the overlaps ?

SAF is the GOAT

Any chance we'll go after him after we sort Martinez ?

Samuel Luckherst said that united will search for an RB

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let’s just say we sign both Dumfries and Malacia wouldn’t it be great to see those two supporting Antony and Sancho with the overlaps ?
Wouldn't it be fantastic....
Surely someone such as Bailly would be tempted by a switch to Inter...? :rolleyes:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is there even any interest in AWB?
There were slight rumours of AWB heading back to Palace but only as a loan option. Since then ? nothing.

I don't think we'll be signing a RB anytime soon, personally.

jamesjimmybyrondean

According to those that watched him and the stats back it up, he's pretty shit at progressing the ball. Not sure why Ten Hag will want him

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are we just being linked with him because he is dutch and the media know we're looking for a RB?