Denzel Dumfries

Chief123

Chelsea being linked with going for Dumfries seems like a very strange transfer.

Reece James is one of the best wing backs around. If Chelsea are planning on moving him into a back 3 and using Dumfries as a wing back, it would be very strange. You would be taking so much away from James’ game going forward.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Too expensive and technically limited.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Chelsea being linked with going for Dumfries seems like a very strange transfer.

Reece James is one of the best wing backs around. If Chelsea are planning on moving him into a back 3 and using Dumfries as a wing back, it would be very strange. You would be taking so much away from James’ game going forward.
I agree. But I also though the same about Kyle Walker, who has proven to be a top level RCB in a 3.

Having James and Denzel in your squad might mean a switch for James. Or it might just mean Tuchel has decided that that position needs absolute resilience and can’t ever experience a drop off in quality.

If nothing else, you’d trust Tuchel to make the right tactical call.

Chief123

I agree. But I also though the same about Kyle Walker, who has proven to be a top level RCB in a 3.

Having James and Denzel in your squad might mean a switch for James. Or it might just mean Tuchel has decided that that position needs absolute resilience and can’t ever experience a drop off in quality.

If nothing else, you’d trust Tuchel to make the right tactical call.
Walker is someone who’s filled in at RCB and can do a good job there but it’s rarely for his club. City don’t play a back 3 that often.

But to move James permanently to RCB would be strange as there’s not many players in the world who can deliver a ball from out wide like James does. To take that away would be a big loss. And if Dumfries is only being brought in as a backup that’s even stranger considering they urgently need players in centre back and attack who would go straight into the starting 11.

I think Chelsea being linked is more speculation than anything concrete.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Walker is someone who’s filled in at RCB and can do a good job there but it’s rarely for his club. City don’t play a back 3 that often.

But to move James permanently to RCB would be strange as there’s not many players in the world who can deliver a ball from out wide like James does. To take that away would be a big loss. And if Dumfries is only being brought in as a backup that’s even stranger considering they urgently need players in centre back and attack who would go straight into the starting 11.

I think Chelsea being linked is more speculation than anything concrete.
Centre backs - They just signed Koubaily. Lord knows how but he’s among the worlds best centre half’s.

Walker - He’s played plenty at RCB for England. He’s great there. Especially alongside a glacially paced Maguire (see T.Silva).

Completely agree that moving James there would be strange/insane. I don’t think it will happen. But he’s not immortal. If Tuchel has decided that he needs his Right Wing Back to be 100% for all the time, having James and Dumfries in the same squad is entirely sensible.

My overall point was - back Tuchel in that space. He’s pretty great.

kps88

Their season fell apart last year when James and Chilwell got injured and they're currently light at the back. They could use some cover at RWB and RCB, particularly as Azpi wants to leave.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s a weird one, everyone keeps saying he’s shit but he performs well every time I watch him.
I think that’s kind of the story of Dumfries — he comes from the pretentious wankery of Dutch football where you need to be a technical monster and play cute triangles but he’s all sheer willpower and succeeds even where people would assume he’d fail.

He’s a strange player. He’s pretty average at most things but he’s an absolute monster if you let him loose off the ball to run in behind. I don’t think there’s a fullback/wingback in football who gets into the box like he does

Chief123

I think that’s kind of the story of Dumfries — he comes from the pretentious wankery of Dutch football where you need to be a technical monster and play cute triangles but he’s all sheer willpower and succeeds even where people would assume he’d fail.

He’s a strange player. He’s pretty average at most things but he’s an absolute monster if you let him loose off the ball to run in behind. I don’t think there’s a fullback/wingback in football who gets into the box like he does
Even more than Doherty? I know he made a name for himself for being a goal scoring wing back at wolves. He’s pretty average at everything else though but he used to get into the box for headers or tap ins at the back post often.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Even more than Doherty? I know he made a name for himself for being a goal scoring wing back at wolves. He’s pretty average at everything else though but he used to get into the box for headers or tap ins at the back post often.
For all fullbacks across Europe’s top leagues: Doherty is in the 97th and 95th percentile for touches in the opponents box and progressive passes received respectively, Dumfries is in the 99th for both. Doherty is up there, but big Denz takes the cake I’m afraid!

https://fbref.com/en/players/481c9ece/Denzel-Dumfries
https://fbref.com/en/players/d557d734/Matt-Doherty

Chief123

For all fullbacks across Europe’s top leagues: Doherty is in the 97th and 95th percentile for touches in the opponents box and progressive passes received respectively, Dumfries is in the 99th for both. Doherty is up there, but big Denz takes the cake I’m afraid!

https://fbref.com/en/players/481c9ece/Denzel-Dumfries
https://fbref.com/en/players/d557d734/Matt-Doherty
Blooming heck! I did see one clip where the midfielder played a through ball and it was Dumfries who was the furthest forward who ran through on goal and scored. It looked so weird because he would have been miles out of position to be there. I wonder whether he’d be a risk in a system which has a back 4.

croadyman

Yeah good description of him

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Kounde is a CB and Dumfries a RB and they already have Reece James?

Agent talk i bet.
We will be in market for full back too. We get kounde or not we will sign backups for WB s too. Chalobah already played some great matches as right sided cb for us.

We might give up on kounde and looking for rwb rotation/backup for Reece and replacement for azpilicueta as well.

Rolaholic

Fofana £80m :houllier:
Leicester are mad with their valuations for the likes of him, Ndidi and Maddison but they did get a world record fee for Maguire so I don't blame them for trying :lol:

They sold their best players ever, Mahrez and Kante, for below market price so they've been trying to make up for it since

Castia

I think Fofana can be a top CB but 80m coming off the back of a season he missed most of due to injury is insane.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Leicester are so well run

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think Fofana can be a top CB but 80m coming off the back of a season he missed most of due to injury is insane.
Hes a top talent, like Van Dijk was

Idxomer

To a degree, but they literally can't make a signing because of FFP. So it's not ideal for them.
I don't remember them spending a lot of money, how did they get in trouble with FFP?

Abraxas

This guy's stats are totally bizarre. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Chief123

Fofana would be a great signing! Top talent and been wishing we’d go for him in last couple of years. That’s a steep price though!

davidmichael

From what I’ve seen of Laird whenever I’ve watched him I don’t see right back being a big issue right now, could we upgrade on Laird and Dalot ? Absolutely but with AWB and Jurado also around it’s not the priority position it once was and at £30 million plus I don’t think Dumfries is a necessity over a couple of midfielders, a right sided attacker and a striker.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
From what I’ve seen of Laird whenever I’ve watched him I don’t see right back being a big issue right now, could we upgrade on Laird and Dalot ? Absolutely but with AWB and Jurado also around it’s not the priority position it once was and at £30 million plus I don’t think Dumfries is a necessity over a couple of midfielders, a right sided attacker and a striker.
Hate to break it to you pal... but he is miles away