Denzel Dumfries

Nick.

Yes. But I know some people want a backup to Dalot rather than a potential upgrade. Hmm

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yes. But I know some people want a backup to Dalot rather than a potential upgrade. Hmm
These days you pretty much need two playable options for each position to compete at the very top level anyway. AWB and Brandon Williams don't count!

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
These days you pretty much need two playable options for each position to compete at the very top level anyway. AWB and Brandon Williams don't count!
Whoah! Careful, you ca get burned at the stake around here for implying it’s not sheer lunacy to spend money on 2 different players at the same position. It’s complete lunacy you know, and those that do it are barely functional and get by at life by randomly throwing darts.

Anyway … Dumphries is not horrible . He’s been offered to …. Everyone Inter thinks has money really. I don’t know if it’s the direction we’d be willing to go unless Inter improves their communication on the Lukaku situation.
We were linked with Gusto recently. I expect quite a few RBs to move this window, but it’s all musical chairs in terms of where they end up.

The Livramento injury situation made things more complicated than they needed to be, at least for us.

Pintu

I like him. He’s the good balance between backup and upgrade. If ETH can have him and Dalot challenging each other for the spot in a sane environment it’s bound to bring the best out of both.

Boondog

As good as Dalot has been I find it hard to believe we will be in a bidding war for this player. Surely there are cheaper options for a depth RB.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Has he ever actually played right back?
What else do you think he plays? I know he is a typical wingback that tends to be noticed mostly in further forward positions, but he really does play right back. I'm not sure about Inter, but at PSV and previously in the Dutch national team, he played in formations with four defenders, too.

Nick7

What else do you think he plays? I know he is a typical wingback that tends to be noticed mostly in further forward positions, but he really does play right back. I'm not sure about Inter, but at PSV and previously in the Dutch national team, he played in formations with four defenders, too.
Judging by how Inter and LVG set up he hasn’t played right back since he was at PSV. That’s not exactly a player we should be shelling out 40+m for considering we do not play with wing backs.

Boondog

If the rumors re: Dumfries are true, it means Dalot is being replaced. And in that event it would be due to a desire for a better offensive pairing on the right with Antony.

Would still be surprised by that, because it feels like a lot of effort for a player who is not appreciatively better than Dalot.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If the rumors re: Dumfries are true, it means Dalot is being replaced. And in that event it would be due to a desire for a better offensive pairing on the right with Antony.

Would still be surprised by that, because it feels like a lot of effort for a player who is not appreciatively better than Dalot.
Why did Dalot be replaced? United currently lack quality back-up at RB, which is a must at every position given the tight playing schedule. Buying Dumfries and selling Dalot wouldn't fix that. A more likely scenario is that a good RB is bought to provide competition to Dalot, a youth player kept for emergency back-up, and AWB is sold because he's not useful to Ten Hag. (Not all necessarily this window of course.)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I really don't think we should go fo him.

He's an athletic beast but I don't think he offers much besides that.

Boondog

Why did Dalot be replaced? United currently lack quality back-up at RB, which is a must at every position given the tight playing schedule. Buying Dumfries and selling Dalot wouldn't fix that. A more likely scenario is that a good RB is bought to provide competition to Dalot, a youth player kept for emergency back-up, and AWB is sold because he's not useful to Ten Hag. (Not all necessarily this window of course.)
I don't see Dumfries as a backup. Don't think he will be priced as a backup either. If we go after him I think it means Dalot is sold or allowed to leave.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why would you replace Dalot with Dumfries? Unless Ten Hag wants a goal-scoring threat, especially in the air, it doesn't make much sense. Dalot is better in every way but crashing the box and in the air...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why would you replace Dalot with Dumfries? Unless Ten Hag wants a goal-scoring threat, especially in the air, it doesn't make much sense. Dalot is better in every way but crashing the box and in the air...
He's not replacing him, he's explicitly said he wants 2 top options for his squad. Dalot and Dumfries would be that and offer different strengths.

jesperjaap

Is he though? He has been good this season but done very little before. He cant cross, his tackling is average.

I think the technical abilities and attacking threat of Dalot is a bit of a myth to be honest. His best assest offensively is carrying the ball with strength, Dumfries is similar and more athletic defensively.

I think Dumfries would bring a good attitufde and work rate to the side....but Dalot isnt the answer for me long term as a starter and neither is Dumfries, think there are better right backs personally

NoPace

I can't see spending 40M on him. Inter got him for 12M. He's improved, but that's too much to spend on a 26 year old non-starter with a clear ceiling. Molina only cost 20M euros. We need the money elsewhere.

I wonder if Southampton would just sell us Livramento for 20M and Wan-Bissaka or something. They could play 5 at the back and let Walker-Peters play the wingback role he clearly prefers, keep Bella-Kotchap from having to pass the ball as much, Salisu looks good at the LCB role and they'd have 20M to spend on avoiding relegation by buying an actual striker or a creative player or even both if they spent some of their own too.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Some Italian media linked us to him. Apparently, we are offering Tomiyasu plus cash, plus! cash for Dummyfrey

I think someone has put a bit too much wine in their spaghetti

Boondog

You answered it yourself. It would be to get more goal threat. Dumfries is better crashing the box and playing inverted for attacking with Antony. Dalot is a fantastic RB and has improved a ton but he is defensively minded.

I prefer Dalot. But the rumors on Dumfries have been consistent just trying to read between the lines.

Marcus

We need someone in addition to Dalot. We all saw the disaster which was Malacia at RB.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't see Dumfries as a backup. Don't think he will be priced as a backup either. If we go after him I think it means Dalot is sold or allowed to leave.
The options aren't limited to "back-up" and "starter". You can have two players competing for the same position playing roughly equal minutes across a season, without either being back-up to the other. At Spurs for example Sessegnon and Perisic have started 8 and 9 league games respectively.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Chelsea ? maybe but United ? no. I think AWB has impressed Hag recently.

Hoof the ball

Chelsea ? maybe but United ? no. I think AWB has impressed Hag recently.
I agree that AWB has been good lately in the absence of Dalot, but, we shouldn't let contemporary form impact the relative strength of a position. A well-performing AWB is still short of the threat and consistency of Dumfries. AWB will never be that guy at right-back with the offensive demands ten Hag makes. If Dumfries has been targeted by ten Hag, there's good reason for it tactically.

flappyjay

Only happens if McTominay goes for that price, Utd haven't got any spare money
Replacing mctominay with an RB wouldn't make sense we would be left with Case, Eriksen, Bruno and Fred as senior midfielders. It would just be asking for trouble. I call this b.s especially without any strong links for AWB or Dalot to leave this window.