Depay

Rossa

Shaqiri had 6 goals and 5 assists in 1413 minutes this year, including a few big plays in important moments. He wasn't amazing, but that's pretty good efficiency, especially for a player getting inconsistent minutes in a new team.
The two goals against United were both flukes - two deflections was it for one of them? He's had a negative development as well.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Depay and Mata on the wings was surely the slowest pair of wide players to play at that level.

Wouldn’t want him here again even if he scored 50 goals a season someplace else.
Seen enough, thanks.

maverickjesus

If anyone seriously thinks bringing him back here is a good idea I've got a timeshare to sell you.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If anyone seriously thinks bringing him back here is a good idea I've got a timeshare to sell you.
Hang on a minute.

If anyone would like us to bring back Depay, I can get you 10% off the price which maverickjesus quotes for his timeshare.
I also have a device which can turn any metal, into gold.
And have a method of winning the lottery, without buying a lottery ticket.

This Depay thread could turn out to be a great revenue stream, for me. :cool:;)

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
The two goals against United were both flukes - two deflections was it for one of them? He's had a negative development as well.
Plenty of shots get deflected and find their way into goal. You can just as easily say a shot that goes untouched past a few defenders is lucky too, but they are all a part of the game. He also had the assist on Origi's winner against Newcastle, and a key pass to Robertson to set up a goal against Huddersfield.

The only point I want to make is that Shaqiri has performed pretty well in limited minutes this year. He's not at the same level as Mane, Firmino, or Salah, but he's helped Liverpool keep getting points when they've called on him. If Liverpool sign Depay for a decent fee and he can do the same, he will be a success as well.

Gandalf

Plenty of shots get deflected and find their way into goal. You can just as easily say a shot that goes untouched past a few defenders is lucky too, but they are all a part of the game. He also had the assist on Origi's winner against Newcastle, and a key pass to Robertson to set up a goal against Huddersfield.

The only point I want to make is that Shaqiri has performed pretty well in limited minutes this year. He's not at the same level as Mane, Firmino, or Salah, but he's helped Liverpool keep getting points when they've called on him. If Liverpool sign Depay for a decent fee and he can do the same, he will be a success as well.
Cannot believe we didn't sign Shaqiri for the chicken feed he was available for last summer. He wouldn't have made us into world beaters but we would have had significantly more invention and better delivery on the right side of midfield with him there and we had no legitimate starting options on the roster.

Suedesi

Think United should bring him back. He is mature enough now. Technically gifted. He runs that Dutch team.

Ekeke

He was erratic, but he did have 10 shots with 6 on target and 6 key passes. So, lively and a threat

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was erratic, but he did have 10 shots with 6 on target and 6 key passes. So, lively and a threat
How many of the key passes came from unforced errors though? I can think of 3..

dogwithabone

Think United should bring him back. He is mature enough now. Technically gifted. He runs that Dutch team.
He’s definitely gone up a gear or two since he left. I’d still have my doubts though as to whether he can deliver on a consistent basis in the PL.

Zoo

It will be interesting to see which club and league he moves to next.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Memphis was involved in 16 chances today. The whole england team had 13.
I dont know if he has what it takes to make it in England, but if we really have a buyback clause for a reasonable price it wpuld be foolish not to try and use him

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I thought he was absolutely shite. If Holland had somebody decent up top they could’ve had 5 or 6.

Kaglish10

I thought he was absolutely shite. If Holland had somebody decent up top they could’ve had 5 or 6.
Memphis created most of his chances by himself and also created for others. Without him, Netherland would be toothless. His finishing is wank though.

Kag

He’ll always be that productive player that does lots of shit things but contributes to goals and assists on a regular basis. It’s why he’s always going to have a good career but not a great one. Not at a top club, anyway.

mu4c_20le

Liverpool can have him. Hopefully takes out a big chunk out of their budget as well.

wolvored

He had his chance here and after tonight's performance he can stay wherever he is

Renegade

Does his new book reveal anything about his time at United? I can’t imagine him talking humbly about failing at a top club.

manutddjw

He's a good player, but he is like Balotelli who draw so much attention themselves that they're actual level isn't good enough to justify their own self created hype. Players like that do it to themselves because they put themselves under such a microscope that it becomes difficult to live up to. Nothing wrong with having a big ego, but there's a reason Zlatan and Ronaldo who do the same don't get the criticism. It's because their talent can actually back it up.

Aloysius's Back 3

Just a tad question - if we do want Depay back because of the buy back offer - does he have to accept it or can he choose wherever he wants to go as long as the price balances with Lyon?

I feel like I know the answer but not 100% sure.

BlueHaze

Just a tad question - if we do want Depay back because of the buy back offer - does he have to accept it or can he choose wherever he wants to go as long as the price balances with Lyon?

It would be up to him to sign a contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It would be up to him to sign a contract.
It depends on the agreement. For example Morata said this when Madrid wanted to buy him back.

"I would like to know where I will play next year," he said, per ESPN. "My future doesn't depend on me.
"I'm happy at Juve but it doesn't depend on me. I don't even know where I can buy a house. To go to Madrid is a real possibility - the contract and the documents say so."

Ekeke

I’d like to see a comparison with these numbers and Alexis’ season stats.
Alexis only played 3 times as a striker like Depay was playing so its only fair to use the stats from the 3 striker matches

Sanchez had 0.9 shots per 90 mins and 1.6 key passes per 90 in those 3 matches.

As a winger Sanchez had 1.7 shots per 90 mins and 2.6 key passes per 90

Obviously the Dutch national team created more overall than we usually did. But Depay played a part in that being lively

jesperjaap

Never understood how he has been highly rated, didnt even do much at the world cup people when people raved about him and the fanfare when he signed for us. Has talent but erratic isnt even the word, no consistency to him even in a game let alone over a season. Think he will mess things up far more often than he does the opposite.

BlueHaze

Never understood how he has been highly rated, didnt even do much at the world cup people when people raved about him and the fanfare when he signed for us. Has talent but erratic isnt even the word, no consistency to him even in a game let alone over a season. Think he will mess things up far more often than he does the opposite.
He has attitude problems. Let the fame get to him and fecked his head up. He thinks he's better than he is and that's the biggest problem with this guy. If he had the right attitude and worked hard enough he would be up there with the better players in the world. He was undoubtedly one of the biggest talents in the world at psv, you could tell by his performance against Milan in the CL qualifiers he was something special. Shame he threw it all away.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Does his new book reveal anything about his time at United? I can’t imagine him talking humbly about failing at a top club.
He has a book? FFS what has he even accomplished in his career?