'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
I didnt realise this match is today! Super exciting!

Hope Davies will have another great performance and we get to see some Sancho & Hakimi vs Davies & Gnabry action.

Also interesting to see between Brandt and Thiago who will come out on top as then most technical midfielder.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I didnt realise this match is today! Super exciting!

Hope Davies will have another great performance and we get to see some Sancho & Hakimi vs Davies & Gnabry action.

Also interesting to see between Brandt and Thiago who will come out on top as then most technical midfielder.
For this particular match Brandt is a fairly safe bet, as Thiago is reportedly out injured.

izec

I always expect Dortmund to win, and they fail massively. Hopefully this time they win and we have some excitement in the league

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
When was the last time that Dortmund won this matchup in the second half of the season while the standings were still moderate close? 2012 I guess?
Expect Bayern to win this easily as I have zero faith in Favre in these games.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Rest of the season is going to be so boring if Bayern don't lose this. We need some exciting title races after 3 months of no football

Praying it's a good game and Dortmund don't collapse as usual, such a mentally weak club. BCD has been shite and dreadfully boring but I'm still excited to watch this one.

TheReligion

Abusive
Called it. Just like a Liverpool and Everton game. Easy to call the result.

United one step closer to Bellingham and Sancho. I suspect Haarland is regretting the move too.

Ace of Spades

Well, looks like Bayern will be champions again. Dortmund were in great form as well, a very disappointing result for them.

pascell

Bayern really squeezed the space well I thought and didn't allow Dortmund time on the ball to get it around the pitch.

Bit of a learning curve for Haaland, marked out the game and barely had the chance to make a mark on the game.

TheReligion

Abusive
So Bayern Munich will win the 8th league title in a row.

Next season will be their league title 99% too with Sane + 2-3 other good signings and the other clubs can't sign major players.

It's of course not the fault of Bayern Munich but come on that is so boring :boring::boring::boring:
Serie A is a more interesting league these days

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Called it. Just like a Liverpool and Everton game. Easy to call the result.

United one step closer to Bellingham and Sancho. I suspect Haarland is regretting the move too.
Dortmund won 3 of the last 4 at SIP vs Bayern before tonight.

SambaBoy

Dortmund's Kicker journalist Thomas Hennecke says "It looks like Favre will leave Dortmund at the end of the season" and BILD says that Dortmund are in contact with Kovac since months.

But isn't Kovac to Dortmund pretty unlikely because of Hummels :confused:
That would be a terrible appointment.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol:

Love the road runner impression, and he's absolutely right. Alphoso Davies was so much fun to watch, he has some positional flaws for sure but with that pace and recovery, who gives a damn? He's young, he'll learn, but Bayern have a potentially all-time great talent in their hands.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
:lol:

Love the road runner impression, and he's absolutely right. Alphoso Davies was so much fun to watch, he has some positional flaws for sure but with that pace and recovery, who gives a damn? He's young, he'll learn, but Bayern have a potentially all-time great talent in their hands.
came here to post that tweet :D (meep meep)

you can learn positioning, you can't learn speed.....

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The media seem to be saying that Dortmund played excellent and were unlucky. I thought they were poor, Bayern defended great but Dortmund created virtually nothing bar a chance after 30 seconds and the handball appeal. They had possession but did nothing with it, Bayern looked very comfortable defending deep the entire game. Haland did okay, he got absolutely zero support from the midfield and wideplayers though, was so isolated all game. Once he went off they had no threat through the middle at all. Dortmund were too scared at the end also, very embarrassing ending. They seemed more worried about losing 2-0 than actually trying to win the league title. Needed 1/2 goals and Hummels didn't go up until the 93rd minute. Should have had everyone attacking the final 5/10 minutes, it's much better to lose 2-0 than accept a 1-0 loss when the title is on the line.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The media seem to be saying that Dortmund played excellent and were unlucky.
what media is that? it‘s not the narrative in Germany at least. Bayern were better and a draw would have been unfair/unlucky for them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think the refused hand ball penalty against Boateng deserves a mention because then it would've been a very close game. But in total, Bayern deserved the win.

Personally, I don't think Dortmund will challenge Bayern for the title as long as Favre remains their coach. Player for player, the current Dortmund team isn't much worse than Bayern's squad. Yet you didn't get the feeling that Dortmund were a real threat to them yesterday.

Handré1990

I think the refused hand ball penalty against Boateng deserves a mention because then it would've been a very close game. But in total, Bayern deserved the win.

Personally, I don't think Dortmund will challenge Bayern for the title as long as Favre remains their coach. Player for player, the current Dortmund team isn't much worse than Bayern's squad. Yet you didn't get the feeling that Dortmund were a real threat to them yesterday.
Good summary. I thought Bayern looked pretty comfortable, and a second goal for Bayern more likely. It should have been a penalty though, clearly.

romufc

I don't think Favre knows his best team. He has also been backed in the transfer market with signings such as Hummels, Can, haaland, hazard, Witsel, Brandt so there can be no excuses for him.

I wonder if players looking at going to Dortmund actually think they can win the league

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Favre has disappointed me. He isn't a poor manager by any measure but just not good enough to take Dortmund over the line, twice they've had the chance to get over Bayern with Bayern starting slow but they've managed to slip up at key moments. A great manager to have it you want to get into the top 4, he's done that multiple times for different teams, but not good enough to be title winners. Sort of a Pochettino vibe.

Last year they were top for a while but again collapsed towards the end of the season. You would think if they had Klopp or Tuchel at the helm they would've won it then and maybe now also.

Hopefully Dortmund don't go for Kovac but get someone more ambitious. Ten Haag might be a good option now that Bayern have settled in Flick for the next season.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

I agree with your first paragraph but regarding the second: player by player the Dortmund squad is not too close to Bayern‘s. There is a big gap in quality. And then comes the depth on top of it

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree with your first paragraph but regarding the second: player by player the Dortmund squad is not too close to Bayern‘s. There is a big gap in quality. And then comes the depth on top of it
Don't know, Bayern IMO is far far away from their glory days quality-wise while Dortmund has insane talent to pick from. Bayern on the other hand also field players I'm not particularly impressed by. Goretzka and Pavard exemplarily. By no means a bad team, don't get me wrong, but not "unconquerable" as it sometimes seems. And Favre on the other hand is holding his squad back, IMO. Bosz unleashed Brandt last season and he completely delivered. He did it for Dortmund, too, when he was played centrally before Can arrived. Now he is played as a winger again and gets subbed of at half time while the midfield looks as creative as modern day TV programs.

Give Dortmund a Tuchel a coach and they would've won this season, IMO.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Favre has disappointed me. He isn't a poor manager by any measure but just not good enough to take Dortmund over the line, twice they've had the chance to get over Bayern with Bayern starting slow but they've managed to slip up at key moments. A great manager to have it you want to get into the top 4, he's done that multiple times for different teams, but not good enough to be title winners. Sort of a Pochettino vibe.

Last year they were top for a while but again collapsed towards the end of the season. You would think if they had Klopp or Tuchel at the helm they would've won it then and maybe now also.

Hopefully Dortmund don't go for Kovac but get someone more ambitious. Ten Haag might be a good option now that Bayern have settled in Flick for the next season.

I was a huge fan of Favre when he was at Gladbach and Berlin but his Dortmund spell has changed my perspective on him. He has made some very costly mistakes this season already. He played cowardly at the beginning of the season and Dortmund looked atrocious. Realized this far too late. And against PSG, he again played like a coward.

Thing is, his brand of football isn't suited for a top club. Back in the day I thought he focused on counter attacking football so much because he didn't have the players to control games but it turns out he does it anyway even if his squad his the far superior side. Exciting coach for a club with ambitions to place 3rd to 4th but for a potential champion, this is not enough. Dortmund oozes talent, he really should get more out of those players.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Don't know, Bayern IMO is far far away from their glory days quality-wise while Dortmund has insane talent to pick from. Bayern on the other hand also field players I'm not particularly impressed by. Goretzka and Pavard exemplarily. By no means a bad team, don't get me wrong, but not "unconquerable" as it sometimes seems. And Favre on the other hand is holding his squad back, IMO. Bosz unleashed Brandt last season and he completely delivered. He did it for Dortmund, too, when he was played centrally before Can arrived. Now he is played as a winger again and gets subbed of at half time while the midfield looks as creative as modern day TV programs.

Give Dortmund a Tuchel a coach and they would've won this season, IMO.
So, who should Dortmund realistically appoint if they sack Favre after the season?

I think the market offers not many, if any, good options.

Ten Haag? Maybe. But would they give it a try after the Bosz failure?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So, who should Dortmund realistically appoint if they sack Favre after the season?

I think the market offers not many, if any, good options.

Ten Haag? Maybe. But would they give it a try after the Bosz failure?
Maybe they see Bosz differently in the light of his recent successes. After all, Bosz had a worse but overrated squad. Many players that were meant to be key players turned out to be not good enough for Dortmund after he left. Castro, Sahin, Götze, Yarmolenko, Toprak exemplarily. I think they shpuld give Ten Haag a try if they have the chance to sign him.

I think the BVB currently is in a similar situation Barca was under Valverde. If you have such a qualoty in your team, a decent coach will achieve the minimum objectives but won't get the team over the line. So you're stuck with a coach that won't improve you in the end.

We (Leverkusen) also faced such a situation at the end of Herrlich's term. He actually won hislast two games. The club fired him anyway and received much criticism for it but his latest results were lucky, the football atrocious and the team developed into the wrong direction. It proved to be the best personnel decision I witnessed at the club with Bosz becoming his successor - a coach that was far from undisputed back then.

I believe as a top club, you have to make unpopular and drastic decisions if necessary. You can't allow stagnation. Sure, the next coach could be even worse but at least there was the potential for improvement. If you stick with coaches below your level because they have okayish success, you will miss out on the best coacheswhen they're finally on the market for a brief window. And once you get a coach that comvinces, you do everything in your power to keep him.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Don't know why they bother hyping this up.

Dortmund's performances in these games are pretty much like Everton's in a Merseyside derby. Just know they're not gonna win.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Maybe they see Bosz differently in the light of his recent successes. After all, Bosz had a worse but overrated squad. Many players that were meant to be key players turned out to be not good enough for Dortmund after he left. Castro, Sahin, Götze, Yarmolenko, Toprak exemplarily. I think they shpuld give Ten Haag a try if they have the chance to sign him.

I think the BVB currently is in a similar situation Barca was under Valverde. If you have such a qualoty in your team, a decent coach will achieve the minimum objectives but won't get the team over the line. So you're stuck with a coach that won't improve you in the end.

We (Leverkusen) also faced such a situation at the end of Herrlich's term. He actually won hislast two games. The club fired him anyway and received much criticism for it but his latest results were lucky, the football atrocious and the team developed into the wrong direction. It proved to be the best personnel decision I witnessed at the club with Bosz becoming his successor - a coach that was far from undisputed back then.

I believe as a top club, you have to make unpopular and drastic decisions if necessary. You can't allow stagnation. Sure, the next coach could be even worse but at least there was the potential for improvement. If you stick with coaches below your level because they have okayish success, you will miss out on the best coacheswhen they're finally on the market for a brief window. And once you get a coach that comvinces, you do everything in your power to keep him.
But Ten Haag aside, who could improve Dortmund and is appointable?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Pretty much. I mean Bayern were in bad form but they still won the BL the previous season and beat Tottenham 7-2 in the UCL. Yet they sacked the clearly inept Kovac and brought in Flick, brilliant decision.

If Dortmund can get Ten Haag then they should go for it and sack Favre. I love Favre as well, especially when he was at Gladbach, but he would have to go if Dortmund have ambition to win.

Other than Ten Haag, if PSG sack Tuchel then why not him?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yet they sacked the clearly inept Kovac and brought in Flick, brilliant decision.
The problem was nonsensically appointing Kovac in the first place ( i can't recall anyone thinking it was a good idea) and letting him stumble about for 1 1/2 years. The sacking was long overdue after regressing for so long.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
But Ten Haag aside, who could improve Dortmund and is appointable?
Everyone knows that Favre's days are numbered and I don't think that he can offer much answers to his critics.

They should appoint a new manager, who fits whatever system they want to play, but I wouldn't expect any miracles, if thats all they do. They tried 3,5 very different managers since Klopp left and its been a mixed bag.