'Der Klassiker' : Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The problem was nonsensically appointing Kovac in the first place ( i can't recall anyone thinking it was a good idea) and letting him stumble about for 1 1/2 years. The sacking was long overdue after regressing for so long.
Bayern also brought in Flick as an assistant coach while Kovac was still there. They clearly positioned him as the caretaker/successor for when they fire Kovac.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Funfact : Der Klassiker is the name for any meeting between the two German football powerhouses, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

Pagh Wraith

Don't know why they bother hyping this up.

Dortmund's performances in these games are pretty much like Everton's in a Merseyside derby. Just know they're not gonna win.
If by these games you mean home matches against Bayern then Dortmund went with a 3-1-1 record into Tuesday's game.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If by these games you mean home matches against Bayern then Dortmund went with a 3-1-1 record into Tuesday's game.
What are the stats for Der Klassiker matches home/away/neutral?

Perhaps it should go in the weird feelings of football thread but it seems like every time Bayern play Dortmund the narrative is 'Dortmund are gonna finally destroy the Bayern hegemony' and then they lose. A bit like Napoli have been with Juve in Italy for the last decade.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
What are the stats for Der Klassiker matches home/away/neutral?

Perhaps it should go in the weird feelings of football thread but it seems like every time Bayern play Dortmund the narrative is 'Dortmund are gonna finally destroy the Bayern hegemony' and then they lose. A bit like Napoli have been with Juve in Italy for the last decade.
At Munich the record is truly ugly for Dortmund but at home it is better than 50:50 if memory serves me right

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's that time of year again. 18:30p CET

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I may hate that name more than 'Die Mannschaft', and that's saying something. Hope for all out attacking from both teams, so obviously a tumescent 1-1 is on the line.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I may hate that name more than 'Die Mannschaft', and that's saying something. Hope for all out attacking from both teams, so obviously a tumescent 1-1 is on the line.
You prefer German Clasico, huh?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah. If they believe they have to create fancy German equivalents for El Clasico, Selecao, Albiceleste etc. at least be more creative. At least try. Klassiker and Mannschaft are so unimaginative it hurts. Seems like Google Translate is the most important tool for German football PR guys.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah. If they believe they have to create fancy German equivalents for El Clasico, Selecao, Albiceleste etc. at least be more creative. At least try. Klassiker and Mannschaft are so unimaginative it hurts. Seems like Google Translate is the most important tool for German football PR guys.
I don't get that criticism. Isn't "Der Klassiker" literally the same as "El Clasico", just in another language? Selecao means "selection", "albiceleste" means something like "the blue whites", what's particularly original about these names? Most of them only sound fancy, because they are in a different language.

Blackwidow

Bayern against the real Borussia might be a "Klassiker" - Dortmund vs Bayern is not...

Raredaredevil

Surprised the bookmakers have given Bayern such high odds for this even though they are away, home or away doesn't really mean much now and Bayern is also currently easily the best club in the world, their form has been sublime and they have Dortmund's number. Expect Bayern to beat Dortmund.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't get that criticism. Isn't "Der Klassiker" literally the same as "El Clasico", just in another language? Selecao means "selection", "albiceleste" means something like "the blue whites", what's particularly original about these names? Most of them only sound fancy, because they are in a different language.
But they're the originals, "der Klassiker" and "die Mannschaft" are the copy cats. Don't know about you but I never heard anyone call the German national team "die Mannschaft" or Bayern - BVB "der Klassiker" in a normal conversation. Those brands were thought of by a PR team which then sought to introduce them into regular language usage while Selecao, Albiceleste, Equipe Tricolore, Seleccion, Squadra Azzura etc. emerged "organically" if I'm not mistaken. They tried to force it because they wanted a cool and marketable slogan for Germany as well.

You know, a wikipedia page would probably "The Italian national team, also called Squadra Azurra" or something along those lines. But the German national team isn't called "die Mannschaft" by anyone. Before Bierhoff and his team invented that term or picked it up from the foreign press or whatever nobody in Germany would've understood what you meant if you just said "die Mannschaft has played badly" without context. And now they're positioning this brand/logo everywhere at any given occasion and people still don't use it. It's a hollow marketing stunt and unfortunately not even a good but annoyingly unimaginative one.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sure, obviously it's an attempt to create a brand, but it don't see the drama. Both words are fitting in the sense that they might as well have an organic origin. And foreigners seem to lap it up quite eagerly already (and why shouldn't they). People reject it, because it's new and it's plastic, but I don't really see the harm in it.
You in particular have been making cases for Leipzig's model, but at meaningless names you draw the line? That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not drawing any line. Not saying it's despicable or anything, it's just annoying. Like your unfunny friend repeating the joke he made earlier since he thought you didn't hear it when in reality you simply ignored it because it wasn't funny to begin with. I'm working in marketing myself by the way. But advertising, branding etc. should be cleverer than this, IMO.

And yes, foreign fans are adapting it quickly which makes it even more annoying :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not drawing any line. Not saying it's despicable or anything, it's just annoying. Like your unfunny friend repeating the joke he made earlier since he thought you didn't hear it when in reality you simply ignored it because it wasn't funny to begin with. I'm working in marketing myself by the way. But advertising, branding etc. should be cleverer than this, IMO.

And yes, foreign fans are adapting it quickly which makes it even more annoying :lol:
I would argue that there isn't a word or phrase clever enough to not cause this kind of reaction. People don't reject it, because it lacks subtlety; they reject it, because it's new.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I think Haaland will rip us a new one, Alaba and Boateng can't defend him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bouna Sarr, RB from Marseille, transfered late in the last window. It was a surprise move, and it's even more surprising to see him start so soon.
Honestly never heard of him. Im sure Bayern will make him look like prime Dani Alves though :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Disappointed to see Delaney and Witsel in midfield, with no Brandt or Dahoud. Once again Favre goes for a defensive formation that has hardly worked in the past versus Bayern.

They'll sit back and struggle to keep the ball, Bayern will eventually break them down.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Came from Marseille.
Until now quite good in offense but definitely worse than Pavard in defense.
Could be a problem against Dortmunds attack.
Pavard has had some really bad performances recently, I don't think Sarr looked noticably worse on defense.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

This probably shows accurately how both teams will line up on the pitch. Bayern see Goretzka returning, Dortmund have Hummels returning from his injury suffered against Bielefeld.

Most notable about the Dortmund lineup is perhaps that Favre picked quite a conservative double pivot with Delaney and Witsel, over either Bellingham or Dahoud who have been in good form this season. That'll cause a lot of criticism if it doesn't work out. There's also a small chance that Delaney will play as LCB and Reyna as CM, seeing the team return to their formerly successful 343.

Last edited:

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bouna Sarr, RB from Marseille, transfered late in the last window. It was a surprise move, and it's even more surprising to see him start so soon.
Pavard is injured and Kimmich is irreplaceable in DM since Thiago left.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Zagadou injured?
He's been injured all season, but even if he wasn't it's near impossible for him to start in a back four as long as Hummels and Akanji are both fit. The former is absolutely untouchable and the latter complements him best and has improved his form quite a bit compared to last season.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

If he hasn’t already, tonight will be the night Haaland announces himself as a world class player and a future multiple Ballon D’or winner.

Great goalscorer and big game player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Neither side can defend

a team across Europe it seems