Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The first 4 seasons are pretty good but then plummets faster than slippy G .
Cheers. I'll sack it then. I have a lot of other things to watch.
I always looked at the name and assumed it was about some shite comedian like Seinfeld.

JP77

I always looked at the name and assumed it was about some shite comedian like Seinfeld.
It's fantastic, the first four seasons are brilliant. It's got a bad rep among some on here but without a doubt worth watching even if the standard does fall off in the later seasons.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It's fantastic, the first four seasons are brilliant. It's got a bad rep among some on here but without a doubt worth watching even if the standard does fall off in the later seasons.
Alright. I'll give it a go. If it's shite, I know where you live.

Revan

Assumptionman
Stop if after season 4. Until then, it is brilliant.

I really don't know about any other season who went from great to shit as it.

prath92

Even though it goes shit it's still worth a watch once. Season 5 is actually one of my favourites

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Nice one. I'll check out the first few eps and if it's okay I'll get the DVDs so the wife can watch.
There is bugger all over here with Japanese subs. We watched Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. The Wire is not out here.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
No I would definitely recommend you try it. The first four seasons are that good. You might like it so much that you will finish it or if you don't it's still worth it for the first four.

Sylar

If you want to see what it basically turned into, watch this clip. Seriously. I laugh every time I watch it cos theres so much wrong with it.

Cina

If you want to see what it basically turned into, watch this clip. Seriously. I laugh every time I watch it cos theres so much wrong with it.

I can't believe that's real. I'm so glad I didn't watch the final series.

Big Andy

Bloke
I liked Dexter, it was brilliant TV for the first 4 or 5 seasons, but as has likely been mentioned on here numerous times...it ends up a parody of itself in the last couple of seasons....

I didn't like the way it ended either, leaving it open for another series down the line...they should've ended it with proper closure...

They should've never killed
doakes
off, he was quality...

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I liked Dexter, it was brilliant TV for the first 4 or 5 seasons, but as has likely been mentioned on here numerous times...it ends up a parody of itself in the last couple of seasons....

I didn't like the way it ended either, leaving it open for another series down the line...they should've ended it with proper closure...

They should've never killed doakes off, he was quality...
I know it's old but Marukomu wants to see it possibly so probably a good idea spoiling that

Last edited:

Sylar

I can't believe that's real. I'm so glad I didn't watch the final series.
It gets worse, directly after this scene Hannah (the woman) goes to the hospital with not even an attempt at a disguise (shes a wanted fugitive all over the TV) :lol:
I try to pretend I stopped watching at season 4...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

They should've never killed
doakes
off, he was quality...
Agreed. He was great fun. And this guy was replaced by Quinn ffs

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Oh yeah I won't even get into how he walked in switched off his sisters life support and wheeled her out onto his boat like it was nothing :lol:
In fairness, Debra told Dexter that if 'she ever got like that [referring to Camilla's state]' that she'd rather Dexter just kill her.

And the reason he is able to do it is because it is nothing to him. The final episode is him realising that the entire life he convinced himself he could create is beyond him. He is a limited human. In the first episode of the very first series he says 'if I could have feelings at all, I'd have them for Deb.' Translating to: I don't have feelings for Deb.

I didn't like the final 2 seasons but that was mostly due to Hannah who offered nothing to the show from a story development point of view but I will say that I thought the ending was remarkably justifiable and consistent with the Dexter journey that had come in the previous 8 seasons.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
In fairness, Debra told Dexter that if 'she ever got like that [referring to Camilla's state]' that she'd rather Dexter just kill her.

And the reason he is able to do it is because it is nothing to him. The final episode is him realising that the entire life he convinced himself he could create is beyond him. He is a limited human. In the first episode of the very first series he says 'if I could have feelings at all, I'd have them for Deb.' Translating to: I don't have feelings for Deb.

I didn't like the final 2 seasons but that was mostly due to Hannah who offered nothing to the show from a story development point of view but I will say that I thought the ending was remarkably justifiable and consistent with the Dexter journey that had come in the previous 8 seasons.
It's not the fact that he kills her. It's the fact that he kills her and takes her away without so much as anyone blinking. It was stupid. Also stupid was the moment where Dexter kills someone in jail with a camera and no one gives a feck about it. It was utterly bizarre.

prath92

It gets worse, directly after this scene Hannah (the woman) goes to the hospital with not even an attempt at a disguise (shes a wanted fugitive all over the TV) :lol:
I try to pretend I stopped watching at season 4...
She gets a cover id as a rich man's wife. So nobody has any proof of her name or id.thats why no one can do anything I think

bucky

Doesn't he say at the end, when he goes all lumberjack that he feels everything and wishes to feel nothing?

I watched about the first 4 episodes of the final season, stopped abruptly, and never went back to finish it. Probably should at some point, just to say I have.
Same for me. First 3 episodes it was, after seeing the ending I never bothered.

Skizzo

Doesn't he say at the end, when he goes all lumberjack that he feels everything and wishes to feel nothing?

Same for me. First 3 episodes it was, after seeing the ending I never bothered.
Yeah I think I read some of what happens elsewhere (since I was watching it after the season had already finished) and lost any motivation I had after that.

Somewhat unrelated. Just started watching the Wire since I heard good things. Looking forward to plowing through it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If you are going to watch it, don't read any other post on this page as it basically says most of what happens in the end. Don't look anywhere while you're watching it and approach it with an open mind. Last four seasons weren't great but this thread probably didn't help as every single thing was criticised whereas if you watch it on your own you probably won't notice half the stuff that has been criticised.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Doesn't he say at the end, when he goes all lumberjack that he feels everything and wishes to feel nothing
I can't remember, exactly.. but he does say something to that extent in the final episode of the first season I believe. I don't think it's a huge deal and actually embraced that. Dexter doesn't know what he is.. he's supposed to be a complex character with loose endings. He doesn't fully understand himself. He's trying to live a life through someone else's moral compass and that tests him to the extent that he turns his back on everything.

I appreciate the nature of the character. I think it would be a bit too simplistic if every single action was explained or their intentions were clear.. because should we really understand the entire inner workings of the mind of a serial killer?

Big Andy

Bloke
We'll get a reboot in about 10 years with Harrison Morgan killing people and looking for his dad...

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'm half sure that the only reason I consider the latter seasons of Dexter watchable is because I am madly in love with Yvonne Strahovski.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
If you are going to watch it, don't read any other post on this page as it basically says most of what happens in the end. Don't look anywhere while you're watching it and approach it with an open mind. Last four seasons weren't great but this thread probably didn't help as every single thing was criticised whereas if you watch it on your own you probably won't notice half the stuff that has been criticised.
Thanks a lot. I just got the first 4 seasons.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm in the middle of season 2 now after finally getting round to watching it a week or so ago having been meaning to for around a year now. I find it similar to Death Note, but not as good; even at it's best, which is brilliant, too.

What got me interested in the show was that I saw a few episodes on TV a year or so ago with John Lithgow in it and liked the look of the show. I only had it on in the background so I don't completely remember any spoilers from that season and decided to stop watching it from there and get on season 1.

Michael C. Hall is an amazing actor. I just had to say that.
Season one was brilliant. I loved the whole "Ice Truck Killer" storyline and was surprised it only lasted a season, but I'm also glad they didn't drag it out. I was disappointed that Rudy/Brian was killed off so soon after the revelation of him being Dexter's brother, though.

Season two though has been rubbish for the most part. It started off well with the bodies being found, but the whole love triangle with Lila and Rita has been dreadful. I'm really disappointed this show went down the route of a love triangle storyline as I find them incredibly boring, and it really didn't need it. And damn, that Lila - I cannot stand her in the slightest. She's one of those characters who just being on screen ruin the scene for me. She's one of my least favourite characters in a TV show ever. I like all the supporting characters on this show (bar Rita's mother) but she is just unbearable.
There have been good things as well of course. The progression of Dexter's and Doukes' rivalry has been fun to watch, finding out more about Dexter's mother and Harry's past, and the introduction of Special Agent Lundy. It's just that Lila absolutely sucks my enjoyment out of the show. If I hadn't seen a few episodes with John Lithgow I might have considered stopping by now having heard it only declines in quality later on anyway, but I'm going to continue with the hope it improves as I did enjoy the said Lithgow episodes.

Without spoiling how or when she leaves (if she does), can anyone tell me how much longer I have to put up with her? I'm on ep 8 of season 2.

prath92

I'm in the middle of season 2 now after finally getting round to watching it a week or so ago having been meaning to for around a year now. I find it similar to Death Note, but not as good; even at it's best, which is brilliant, too.

What got me interested in the show was that I saw a few episodes on TV a year or so ago with John Lithgow in it and liked the look of the show. I only had it on in the background so I don't completely remember any spoilers from that season and decided to stop watching it from there and get on season 1.

Season one was brilliant. I loved the whole "Ice Truck Killer" storyline and was surprised it only lasted a season, but I'm also glad they didn't drag it out. I was disappointed that Rudy/Brian was killed off so soon after the revelation of him being Dexter's brother, though.

Season two though has been rubbish for the most part. It started off well with the bodies being found, but the whole love triangle with Lila and Rita has been dreadful. I'm really disappointed this show went down the route of a love triangle storyline as I find them incredibly boring, and it really didn't need it. And damn, that Lila - I cannot stand her in the slightest. She's one of those characters who just being on screen ruin the scene for me. She's one of my least favourite characters in a TV show ever. I like all the supporting characters on this show (bar Rita's mother) but she is just unbearable.
There have been good things as well of course. The progression of Dexter's and Doukes' rivalry has been fun to watch, finding out more about Dexter's mother and Harry's past, and the introduction of Special Agent Lundy. It's just that Lila absolutely sucks my enjoyment out of the show. If I hadn't seen a few episodes with John Lithgow I might have considered stopping by now having heard it only declines in quality later on anyway, but I'm going to continue with the hope it improves as I did enjoy the said Lithgow episodes.

Without spoiling how or when she leaves (if she does), can anyone tell me how much longer I have to put up with her? I'm on ep 8 of season 2.
She will be integral to the whole season. Not sure of her exact screentime as its been long since I watched it but she is quite important for the rest of the season.

And it really declines only by season 6. Till then it's very good and season 4 is quite amazing. I personally like season 5 though many don't

Though seasons 7 and 8 are quite appalling as they lost control of the whole thing in season 6 especially the end of season 6.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Season 2 is the weakest of the first 5 seasons. Season 4 is by far the best of them all. Keep going until maybe the end of season 6 I'd say - though at that point you may as well watch the last 2 because you've come this far :lol:

Heardy

I enjoyed it generally - Season 1 was fantastic.

The finale of the entire thing was probably the most underwhelming finale of a programme I've ever seen though. I was glad i binged through the whole thing in two months. If I'd being watching it weekly over the course of years, I'd have been super pissed at the ending.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really liked it but season 8 was terrible.

Season 7 (I Think) had a couple really good moments but was certainly lesser than the others. Basically its great for about 5 seasons, then it tails down. Amazing show overall though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
She will be integral to the whole season. Not sure of her exact screentime as its been long since I watched it but she is quite important for the rest of the season.
Nooooooo!
Season 2 is the weakest of the first 5 seasons. Season 4 is by far the best of them all. Keep going until maybe the end of season 6 I'd say - though at that point you may as well watch the last 2 because you've come this far :lol:
I most likely will, tbh. It's the same with most shows I've watched - If I start it, I'll finish it. :D

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It really is a show of two halves. The first 4 seasons are really good and the last 4 are atrocious.