Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Sylar

I enjoyed s2. I found s1, s2 and s4 fantastic. S3 was meh.
S5 can be missed and it wont make a difference at all.
S6 was ok towards the end. S7 and S8 I wish were erased from my mind.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I enjoyed s2. I found s1, s2 and s4 fantastic. S3 was meh.
S5 can be missed and it wont make a difference at all.
S6 was ok towards the end. S7 and S8 I wish were erased from my mind.
Agree on S5, I hated how they literally hit the reset button at the end instead of going for something new.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Damn, i thought this was bumped because ti was renewed :lol: :nervous:

I mean, I still haven't moved on since that absolute disgrace of an ending :mad:
My bad! I just had to get some thoughts about the show off my chest. :p

dellboyy

Ha yeah it was a particularly bad ending... probably didn't help that it ended around the same time as Breaking Bad, which had such a stupidly well put together finish it really showed this up.

Seasons were up and down i agree, the Trinity Killer series was by far the best for me.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I only just finished season 4 this week and all I've got to say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHY YOU FOOLS?!:(

I binged the final three episodes of the season after the United game on Wednesday taking me to about 2 in the morning the following day and I still can't believe it! I had to go and download S5 straight away which, sadly, is where I hear the show goes downhill. I'll wait and see.

I thought John Lithgow was brilliant in it. The only other thing I remember seeing him in was 3rd Rock from the Sun and in that he's just a goofy "guy" whereas he's the polar opposite in this. Oh, and Lord Farquaad in Shrek :D. I think he's such a good actor and I loved the role he played in this show.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I only just finished season 4 this week and all I've got to say is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHY YOU FOOLS?!:(

I binged the final three episodes of the season after the United game on Wednesday taking me to about 2 in the morning the following day and I still can't believe it! I had to go and download S5 straight away which, sadly, is where I hear the show goes downhill. I'll wait and see.

I thought John Lithgow was brilliant in it. The only other thing I remember seeing him in was 3rd Rock from the Sun and in that he's just a goofy "guy" whereas he's the polar opposite in this. Oh, and Lord Farquaad in Shrek :D. I think he's such a good actor and I loved the role he played in this show.
People say season 4 was the best. I liked it a lot but my favourite was 7 IIRC (and I think most people said that and 8 was the worst :lol:)

Terrific show overall though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People say season 4 was the best. I liked it a lot but my favourite was 7 IIRC (and I think most people said that and 8 was the worst :lol:)

Oh, there's 8 seasons?! I only thought there were 7! I don't know whether an extra season is a good or bad thing from what I've heard.:lol:

I still think season 1 is my favourite. I loved every episode. I also loved the ending of that season where they were all cheering Dex in his fantasy.:D

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

S1-3 was good, had its flaws and annoying characters. S4 was the best of the show and then it went downhill, I didn't even finish the show because it annoyed me so much.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So if one wants to watch this show, he/she should only watch S1-S4?

Yagami

Good post resistant
For me, so far having only seen the first 4 seasons, my order would be:
S1
S4
S3
S2

That said, I've enjoyed them all but the first one just engrossed me the most.

I actually get a lot of Death Note vibes from this show, and not just from the similarities of the plot. Even if you're not into anime, if you were a fan of Dexter, I'd highly recommend Death Note.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Most people would say the first 4-5 seasons are great and then it goes downhill. I enjoyed it all up season 8 (which was a massive let down). Thing is, you want to know what happens to Dexter in the end so you'll end up watching it all anyway (or googling it if you just want to finish after season 4).

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
5-8 are still enjoyable if you don't think at all about the logic of what's happening on the screen. And I mean AT ALL.

Sylar

You can skip 5 and you dont really miss anything. If you go from 4 to 6 you wouldnt miss any progression.
My favs were 1 2 and 4. 3 was ok. 5 was just useless. 6 and 7 (cant remember which) had good moments. 8 was terrible.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can skip 5 and you dont really miss anything. If you go from 4 to 6 you wouldnt miss any progression.
My favs were 1 2 and 4. 3 was ok. 5 was just useless. 6 and 7 (cant remember which) had good moments. 8 was terrible.
Id agree with this.

JoaquinJoaquin

The show went down hill very quick after they killed Rita. Hated that they did that to this day.

Cina

1 and 4 were the only really, really good seasons.

2,3 were decent and watchable.

5 was meh.

6,7,8 were dogshit.

Revan

Assumptionman
S1-3 was good, had its flaws and annoying characters. S4 was the best of the show and then it went downhill, I didn't even finish the show because it annoyed me so much.
1st was better than 4th but otherwise agree. 2nd and 3rd were good but had flaws, 5 was almost okay and then it went to shit. 7th and 8th were total shit despite that Yvonne was there.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The last 4 seasons weren't dreadful but were nowhere near as good as 1-4.

But it's not like prison break which had an incredible first season and then was the worst show ever that didn't even try to make sense.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think people can carry on watching the rest but the last season - and the last episode or so - get too ridiculous. If you're not too critical of things or look back over this thread and see comments on particular episodes you probably won't notice half of the grievances people have had. Came to a point where every episode people were posting stuff they didn't find believable.

Heardy

I was so glad I binge watched Dexter. Less emotionally invested given I watched the lot over about 6-8 weeks.

If I'd watched it over 8 years week by week, I'd have been even more infuriated with the ending.

Will Absolute

I was so glad I binge watched Dexter. Less emotionally invested given I watched the lot over about 6-8 weeks.

If I'd watched it over 8 years week by week, I'd have been even more infuriated with the ending.
It's been a while since I watched this show, but I don't remember the huge drop off in quality after the first 4 seasons that so many posters talked about. Some developments weren't very credible, I suppose, but the whole show was a fantasy to begin with. Maybe I wasn't being critical enough.

Why was everybody so unhappy with the ending? Should Dexter have been arrested or killed off, or all notions of moral balance abandoned and been allowed to escape to Argentina with his gorgeous new love to become a contented sheep farmer on the Pampas? What sort of ending would you guys like to have seen?

Oaencha

John Lithgow completely stole that season; great actor. Massive change of pace but watch 'Love is Strange'. It's a fantastic film and him and Alfred Molina are amazing in it.

Additional - I think it is still on Netflix.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1,2,4 and 6(I think this was the one with Tom Hanks son in it) were good/decent
3,5 were watchable
7 was average but with a few good moments
8 was hopelessly bad

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why was everybody so unhappy with the ending? Should Dexter have been arrested or killed off, or all notions of moral balance abandoned and been allowed to escape to Argentina with his gorgeous new love to become a contented sheep farmer on the Pampas? What sort of ending would you guys like to have seen?
Seriously, you don't see how people are so pissed off about him ending up becoming a lumberjack?

Will Absolute

Seriously, you don't see how people are so pissed off about him ending up becoming a lumberjack?
I saw it as sequestration, I suppose. The show ended with Dexter's exile to an isolated wilderness, a fitting fate for someone whose homicidal impulses had always separated him from his fellow human beings. There was a certain logic to it.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
And thats not even the worst part.

The whole Deb falling in love with Dexter was worse than Hitler. It completely ruined her character for me. When she died I was actually glad as it meant that particular story thread was never ever coming back

Will Absolute

The whole Deb falling in love with Dexter was worse than Hitler. It completely ruined her character for me. When she died I was actually glad as it meant that particular story thread was never ever coming back
Yeah, that was cringey. I don't know why they went there. And then having opened such a can of worms, they did nothing with it.

Drainy

feck, I'd forgotten about that!

Oaencha

The finale was pretty awful. The producers obviously wanted a quirky ending and to leave it open so they could potentially bring it back later; ala 24.

I would have liked a powerful ending. It wouldn't have mattered if he died, stayed alive or got caught. Just an ending that wrapped things up and left me thinking 'wow'... not 'WTF were they thinking?!'.

hobbers

I quite liked the idea. Just a shame that every other part of the season was such a car crash.

Sylar

It just seemed they used that as a means of her finding out about Dexter and to add conflict over her choices. Even though she was pretty much his sister and that would have been there otherwise.

The final season was bad and the finale was pretty much the same week as the Breaking Bad finale right? I remember comparisons being made, but BB seemed more satisfying whilst this was... just.... well it happened.

Cina

But it's not like prison break which had an incredible first season and then was the worst show ever that didn't even try to make sense.
They were definitely dreadful

Oaencha

I actually quite liked S3 where they had to break out of Sona. Robert Knepper was the only reason to watch all the series though; loved his character.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I actually quite liked S3 where they had to break out of Sona. Robert Knepper was the only reason to watch all the series though; loved his character.
It was just silly. They might as well have just renamed it 'nobody really dies'

The extremely hot villian was the only thing that kept me watching in the end.

Oaencha

It was just silly. They might as well have just renamed it 'nobody really dies'

The extremely hot villian was the only thing that kept me watching in the end.
It was completely silly and unrealistic but I still enjoyed it. S2 and S4 were just boring though.