Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Amir

Basically, the 'it's already over' thing in season four centers on the qualify of the show. And indeed, after that season, it was already over.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember quite liking most of season five, evil Sherlock and friends were odious enough to keep me engaged to the point where the stupid bits didn't jar. I also remember being irked by how pointless the whole season ended up being though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
John Lithgow completely stole that season; great actor. Massive change of pace but watch 'Love is Strange'. It's a fantastic film and him and Alfred Molina are amazing in it.

Additional - I think it is still on Netflix.
Everytime his character randomly called someone the c word I burst out laughing. Like when he called his wife it at the thanksgiving dinner, and when he called his daughter it when he got back in his car after their meet-up. They just came out of the blue and caught me so off guard that I couldn't help but laugh.:D

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll definitely give it a watch! I really like both Lithgow and Molina.:)

By the way, to the people who've already watched Dexter in it's entirety, thanks for spoilering the later seasons. With the show having already ended a while ago, I wasn't expecting others to actually spoiler their thoughts on the later seasons and whatnot, so thank you.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I finished season 5 tonight and thought it was a very good season. Until the last episode, that is. Even then, as a whole, I still think it was a good season, but, like others have said, the fact that we ended up where we already were at the beginning of the season was annoying. With that said I'm still glad I watched it because I love the characters regardless. Especially Dex.

I get why others say you can completely skip this season and not miss a thing but I disagree as I think you'd end up missing important character development for a few characters. This is without the benefit of hindsight of course so it could all end up meaning diddlysquat in future seasons.

Dexter putting himself out there for another person in beating up that abusive parent, finding love again, and seeing someone overcome their "Dark Passenger". Quinn loving Debra enough not to land Dexter, a guy he wouldn't hesitate to get at, in the thick of it. Aster(?) coming to terms with Rita's death, making up with Dex, and just her general character in being there for her friend and having a mouth that would put Deb to shame now. Harry being proud of Dex beating up that abusive parent, admitting he never thought he (Dex) had it in him to put someone else first. I know it's not much for a whole season, but it's still something.

I really don't know why they ended it the way they did with Lumen leaving as it just rendered the whole thing as a waste of time. It helped Dexters character development a bit, but I don't think that was enough to warrant it. If they had ended it with Dex and Lumen becoming a couple (and partners in crime) with them both trying to juggle becoming a family with Harrison, Cody and Aster(?) coming home along with catching bad guys together as a couple going into next season I think it'd have been fine, and I'm really disappointed they didn't go down that route as I thought Dex and Lumen worked well together.

The whole thing with Deb letting them run off was annoying, too. I saw it coming and got the reasoning behind it, but surely she would've wanted to see who the couple actually were? It might've been too soon for Deb to find out about Dex's life but I think that's the way it should've gone having already ended up in that situation whether it'd have been premature in the story arc or not.

A couple of other things I want to get off my chest are that this whole Quinn being suspicious of Dex storyline only makes me miss Doakes as he was a much better character than Quinn, and Stan, the detective Quinn hired to investigate Dex, was hilarious and died too soon. I honestly couldn't buy him as "Pohleece" as he just reeked of villiany! What a voice the man had. That was another annoying thing in that his investigation ultimately came to nothing as nobody knew what Dex and Lumen were doing as the evidence was destroyed, and Quinn got off scott free in regards to the blood on his shoe. Grrr.

I'm going to wait until 2017 to start season 6. If it is as bad as I've heard I'll have watched the good seasons in '16 and the bad ones in '17. Plus it gives me a chance to catch up on other stuff, too. I'm seeing this show out regardless and have braced myself for the cluster that is the latter seasons!:D

Yagami

Good post resistant
Only just finished season 7 earlier this morning and I must say that was HORRENDOUS!

The ending was awful! I'm rooting for Dexter and Deb to be caught/killed now. Also, the fact Hannah survied and will probably be in the next season is depressing. She is an awful character.

I did enjoy the scenes with Maria and Matthews, though. They had great chemistry. It was also nice to see Doakes again in the few flashbacks.

The only reason I'm going to watch Season 8 is because I've come this far and might as well finish it. Why did such a great show turn into such a mess?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God that show just goes around in circles, give up after Season 4 like any sane human being is my advice.

Yagami

Good post resistant
God that show just goes around in circles, give up after Season 4 like any sane human being is my advice.
I meant to say that if the show had ended, like, 5 minutes before the end of season 4 just before Dexter gets that phone call it'd have been an amazing all round show.

Zii

The most soul crushing way to end a show. It made me mad for about a month

Yagami

Good post resistant
Stop after Season 4, unwatchable after
It's a shame because I liked season 5 until the last episode rendered the entire season pointless. I liked the idea of 6 but, in whole, was executed poorly. 7 was trash, though. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on 8 on here when I finish it. :p
I wouldn't even bother with season 8, the most garbage season of the lot. Save yourself 10 hours :wenger:
I'm too far in! I must know how it ends no matter how painful it may be!

3KDré

There were 8 seasons? :lol:I can't remember half of it. It went downhill as the show went on.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I'm too far in! I must know how it ends no matter how painful it may be!
I took this approach as well but, believe me, you will nevertheless not be rewarded for your loyalty/curiosity. A big reason why I altogether quit Elementary before it even ended this season, thoroughly unwatchable

Sylar

The treadmill scene is still one of the worst things ive ever seen.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I do my absolute best to forget the last series of this show and then this thread gets bumped and it rushes back to me.

Cloud7

It definitely fizzled out in the last couple seasons, but the Trinity killer was brilliant. Having watched the show as a whole though, I feel like the villain of the first season should have been the one to end it. Due to who he really was, in my opinion he would have been the perfect final adversary.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It definitely fizzled out in the last couple seasons, but the Trinity killer was brilliant. Having watched the show as a whole though, I feel like the villain of the first season should have been the one to end it. Due to who he really was, in my opinion he would have been the perfect final adversary.
They could have ended it with season one or two but instead they murdered the series.

Sylar

I thought s2 would have been the best one to go as a final season.
But with a different ending.

prath92

Just watched it again. I started on Sunday and already finished season 5. Amazing. Can never get bored even though I’ve watched it about 20 times already

There are hell a lot of coincidences but it sure is fun how everything just falls into place in favour of dexter

Loublaze

ATLien
Only shit seasons were 6 with the revelations killings and of course the 8th and final nightmare of a season

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I loved most of it. Just thought season 8 was shite. I actually enjoyed season 7 which many didn't.

Worst season for me was the one with Lumen. What a shit character.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had that show had a better ending, it would have gone down as among the best shows in last 10-15 years

binary bot
I don’t think I’ll ever come to terms with how mind bogglingly shit the ending was.

Sylar

Had that show had a better ending, it would have gone down as among the best shows in last 10-15 years
Hmmm. Dunno. I think half the show was great (well 3 was okish, but really enjoyed 1,2 and 4)
5 was useless. I keep saying this, but seriously take out 5 and go from 4 to 6 and you wouldnt have missed anything.
I dont even remember which one was the Colin Hanks one (was that 7?) 6,7 and 8 were kinda a blur to me and dont remember who the villains were in any of them like I can for the first four.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
At its best some of the most entertaining TV ever made. Declined in later series and as for the last episode. Oh dear.

A fecking lumberjack? Kinell.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hmmm. Dunno. I think half the show was great (well 3 was okish, but really enjoyed 1,2 and 4)
5 was useless. I keep saying this, but seriously take out 5 and go from 4 to 6 and you wouldnt have missed anything.
I dont even remember which one was the Colin Hanks one (was that 7?) 6,7 and 8 were kinda a blur to me and dont remember who the villains were in any of them like I can for the first four.
I believe season 1,2,4 and 6 were absolute gold.
Among the best of last 10-15 years may be bit of a stretch I agree, but at its best Dexter was everything you wanted a show to be and the last season was the perfect example how you shouldn't end a TV series

Loublaze

ATLien
At its best some of the most entertaining TV ever made. Declined in later series and as for the last episode. Oh dear.

A fecking lumberjack? Kinell.
Which seasons did you dislike? Not counting the 8th and final season which we can all agree was terrible.

gza the genius

I can't remember what season it was but I stopped watching when Dexter killed someone in an airport and then wheeled them out in a surfboard bag. I couldn't keep going after that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is pretty much how I am with it.