Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
The one thing I love about this is I have absolutely no idea how it will actually end. Of course, we can all speculate but they could go in a number of directions..
I guess they decided to end it with a shit episode. Hope this doesn't count as a spoilee.

Big Andy

Bloke
The one thing I love about this is I have absolutely no idea how it will actually end. Of course, we can all speculate but they could go in a number of directions..
I reckon he’ll fake his death, and end up working as a lumberjack somewhere

evil_geko

Yep, I would rather have original finale as canon as bad as it was after seeing NB finale, this was pretty terrible and rushed.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That ending was sadly inevitable. The problem is

fans of Dexter love seeing MCH as Dexter. Killing him off like that achieved what they said in 'blowing the internet up' but has in reality just pissed off the whole fanbase.

GeorgieBoy

Not watched it yet (just about to) but sad to see many people are once again left unhappy.
Here we go.

evil_geko

That ending was sadly inevitable. The problem is

fans of Dexter love seeing MCH as Dexter. Killing him off like that achieved what they said in 'blowing the internet up' but has in reality just pissed off the whole fanbase.
It's not just about killing him off, I was ok with it like lots of people I read, problem is how they rushed everything through tons of plot holes and inconsistencies.

Damien

Staff
It's not just about killing him off, I was ok with it like lots of people I read, problem is how they rushed everything through tons of plot holes and inconsistencies.
Yeah, sorry, to be specific him being killed off by Harrison in that way and the stuff with Coach Logan. I know they did that to set up the final bit with Harrison being disgusted and killing Dexter because of it but it doesn't ring right. Would have preferred a 12 episode season and for Batista and Dexter to meet face to face.

evil_geko

Yeah, sorry, to be specific him being killed off by Harrison in that way and the stuff with Coach Logan. I know they did that to set up the final bit with Harrison being disgusted and killing Dexter because of it but it doesn't ring right. Would have preferred a 12 episode season and for Batista and Dexter to meet face to face.
Yeah, it was also awful how they used Batista just as tool to panic Dexter and then never have him show up, tons of great missed opportunities.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I guess Dexter's final victim was the show itself....again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think some of the negativity at this ending comes from the longstanding problem of them having turned Dexter into a kind of superhero serial killer.

There are other shows I can think of where the main character dying felt right because the audience was at that point on board with the idea that they deserved punishment/consequences for their actions. Whereas with Dexter there seems to be a significant chunk of the audience who essentially see Dexter as a good guy and want him to get away with everything he's done.

There were good seasons after it but you can trace a lot of the show's problems back as far as season 2, when they saved Dexter from having to make an uncomfortable decision by having Lila intervene and kill Doakes for him. That moment was typical of the series' reluctance to ever really have Dexter do something that would side the audience against him, which is an issue when the character is nominally an anti-hero serial killer.

Though tbf this finale also suffered from the plot holes, bad pacing and erratic character choices that are all too familiar for people who watched enough seasons of the show.

Damien

Staff
I think some of the negativity at this ending comes from the longstanding problem of them having turned Dexter into a kind of superhero serial killer.

There are other shows I can think of where the main character dying felt right because the audience was at that point on board with the idea that they deserved punishment/consequences for their actions. Whereas with Dexter there seems to be a significant chunk of the audience who essentially see Dexter as a good guy and want him to get away with everything he's done.

There were good seasons after it but you can trace a lot of the show's problems back as far as season 2, when they saved Dexter from having to make an uncomfortable decision by having Lila intervene and kill Doakes for him. That moment was typical of the series' reluctance to ever really have Dexter do something that would side the audience against him, which is an issue when the character is nominally an anti-hero serial killer.

Though tbf this finale also suffered from the plot holes, bad pacing and erratic character choices that are all too familiar for people who watched enough seasons of the show.
You make a really good point. Walter White is probably the best example of an anti-hero who ends up an outright villain and the death felt right, even though from the very first episode it was made clear it was going to end one way.

Dexter was erratic and even though he did have quite a few instances where innocent people died because of his actions, they never really stuck in the memory and with the last show ending nearly a decade ago, they definitely would have slipped most people's minds. They tried to bring all that back with the images of Doakes, LaGuerta and Deb but it still feels very much *eh* rather than "yeah, he deserved to die and it feels right for Harrison to be the one to end him"

Here's an interview with the Showrunner after the finale (obvious spoilers)

parkthebuslads

Big Dexter fan. Quite liked original ending, kind of hated this one. Rather disappointed to be honest.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

I disagree with that personally. The problem in my opinion is that there is basically no payoff to the time we've all invested in the series. He was always going to die, but the way they did it was just stupid.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I disagree with that personally. The problem in my opinion is that there is basically no payoff to the time we've all invested in the series. He was always going to die, but the way they did it was just stupid.
Tbf I do also think that's a problem too. Even if everyone was on board with him dying, it was handled very badly.

I see some Dexter fans saying it was was even worse than the lumberjack ending though, which I don't think it was really given how infamously terrible that was.

Ekeke

Much better to have this season and that finale instead of the Deb storyline. Powerful and sad episode but also true that it pretty much needed to end that way for Hairrson to have a different life than his dad

Dante

Average bang
I think I might be the only person who liked the ending.

Yes, there are a few plot lines that weren't wrapped up on screen . But it's pretty obvious how those will end up.

Ekeke

I think I might be the only person who liked the ending.

Yes, there are a few plot lines that weren't wrapped up on screen . But it's pretty obvious how those will end up.
I liked it too. Much more than the previous one. And I'd say the entire season built up to it, so I wouldnt call that a rush either

Berbaclass

Much better to have this season and that finale instead of the Deb storyline. Powerful and sad episode but also true that it pretty much needed to end that way for Hairrson to have a different life than his dad
What will you say when Harrison gets his own spinoff and starts murdering people like is rumoured?

Ekeke

What will you say when Harrison gets his own spinoff and starts murdering people like is rumoured?
If I dont like it I wont watch it? And in terms of that spoiling this ending, it probably would yes. Maybe if it was 1 person and then he is able to get away with it and live a normal life vowing never to do it again it could be okayish. But I'll wait to see what happens rather than rumours.

I would 100% leave it right here. I didnt feel that way after the last series of the original Dexter, I felt there was more that could be done. But this is the perfect stopping point and now im ready for a new show, rather than trying to make a new Dexter in the same world and characters.

Berbaclass

If I dont like it I wont watch it? And in terms of that spoiling this ending, it probably would yes. Maybe if it was 1 person and then he is able to get away with it and live a normal life vowing never to do it again it could be okayish. But I'll wait to see what happens rather than rumours.

I would 100% leave it right here. I didnt feel that way after the last series of the original Dexter, I felt there was more that could be done. But this is the perfect stopping point and now im ready for a new show, rather than trying to make a new Dexter in the same world and characters.
It's just not though. Does anyone really care about Harrison or his character?

I absolutely hate that we didn't get to see any of the repercussions for either Kurt or Dexter being outed as serial killers. That was just really bad.

Ekeke

It's just not though. Does anyone really care about Harrison or his character?

I absolutely hate that we didn't get to see any of the repercussions for either Kurt or Dexter being outed as serial killers. That was just really bad.
I think you misunderstand me? I mean a different show from the same people about something else, not a Harrison spin off. I dont want that.

The closest thing I would want is a show with a completely new world where someone is a killer like a spiritual successor to Dexter but with an entirely new story and cast. I think that could work but I also think Dexter had an incredible leading man for the show and it would be hard to replicate that for a new show that would 100% be compared to Dexter even if it was a completely new thing that was similar in that it followed a serial killer.

But in terms of caring about Harrison, yes why wouldnt I? And Dexter cared about him the most in the end which was the point of the letter being left when he left, and why it was read out at the end. It came full circle and this was the happiest end for Dexter's character after Harrison didnt want to come with him.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I just wanted it revealed to the whole world that Dexter was the Bay Harbour Butcher. That in itself would have been satisfactory. Him being prosecuted or maybe just giving his stance to the world would have been an icing on the cake. Not letting Batista and Dexter meet is just disappointing too. Dexter not telling Angela he killed Kurt and he kills the likes of Kurt only because of what she would find in that underground trophy room is also lame. I mean sure she finally finds out what happened to those girls, but they don't show any newly found sympathy for Dexter from Angela due to what she saw.

I don't think anyone minds Dexter getting killed be it by Harrison or the chair, but his wider crimes being exposed to the world would have been an orgasmic ending, one that I have been waiting for many years. Sad stuff.

Berbaclass

Can we also just take a second to agree that Dexter didn't even use Ketamine (rather M99) so that was just stupid in itself. There was no link to him being the BHB but he uncharacteristically freaked out and killed logan.

Ekeke

I just wanted it revealed to the whole world that Dexter was the Bay Harbour Butcher. That in itself would have been satisfactory. Him being prosecuted or maybe just giving his stance to the world would have been an icing on the cake. Not letting Batista and Dexter meet is just disappointing too. Dexter not telling Angela he killed Kurt and he kills the likes of Kurt only because of what she would find in that underground trophy room is also lame. I mean sure she finally finds out what happened to those girls, but they don't show any newly found sympathy for Dexter from Angela due to what she saw.

I don't think anyone minds Dexter getting killed be it by Harrison or the chair, but his wider crimes being exposed to the world would have been an orgasmic ending, one that I have been waiting for many years. Sad stuff.
Some good points but I think if you had some those moments people would be more upset with the show killing him off. I'd say there was just enough good from Dexter this season, but also just enough grey area and questionable things that at the end you can see why he had to go out like that in his mind. If he got to explain to Angela his "morality" to it, or got to comment to the wider world and try to justify it I dont think people would be as ready to see him go because if he can justify it to Angela, then theres justifcation that he doesnt have to finish. And if he gets a message to the wider world about why he does it, it would feel more like the beginning of something (because some would agree) so to have him die right after wouldnt feel as much of an endpoint as now.

That said I do think one of these things could have been included, I'm just thinking of a reason why they might choose not to and to do it the way they did, where in my mind it felt right to end the show

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Crap ending. They needed to bring dexter to justice as his end, which would have been far more fitting than killing him off

parkthebuslads

Did anyone else find Julia Jones (Angela) to be a poor actress? Or that they wasted Clancy Brown by not developing his character?

New Blood has left me with so many questions:

• Excluding the real world answer that Clyde Phillips apparently hated Hannah, why do we learn nothing about Harrison's life in Argentina?
  • Why did Dexter not immediately consider the local incinerator for the disposing of Matt?
  • Why does the incinerator spew ashes out onto the town?
  • How did only Kurt notice the ashes?
  • Why is there an endless stream of young, single girls passing through an apparently dead end town?
  • After matching DNA and arresting Kurt for murder, why is the matter dropped without any effort to build a case?
  • What are the odds that Angela would encounter Batista? Was that the best they could do to shoehorn in a cameo?
  • Why change the drug Dexter used in Miami to ketamine?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Did anyone else find Julia Jones (Angela) to be a poor actress? Or that they wasted Clancy Brown by not developing his character?

New Blood has left me with so many questions:

• Excluding the real world answer that Clyde Phillips apparently hated Hannah, why do we learn nothing about Harrison's life in Argentina?
  • Why did Dexter not immediately consider the local incinerator for the disposing of Matt?
  • Why does the incinerator spew ashes out onto the town?
  • How did only Kurt notice the ashes?
  • Why is there an endless stream of young, single girls passing through an apparently dead end town?
  • After matching DNA and arresting Kurt for murder, why is the matter dropped without any effort to build a case?
  • What are the odds that Angela would encounter Batista? Was that the best they could do to shoehorn in a cameo?
  • Why change the drug Dexter used in Miami to ketamine?
I don’t think Kurt’s character needed to be developed further, he was a supporting character with a side story and not the main story.

1. Not necessary for the story
2. Dunno
3. Dunno, don’t get why Kurt would also connect the incinerator going to his son being dead either, unless he happened to go there himself and see the screws. But at the time he seemed happy and knowing he said he already knew. Doesn’t make sense.
4. Dunno
5. Does it matter? I mean obviously it’s probably pretty slim in reality, and Harrison is not an uncommon name so that connection is tenuous
6. In the first season dexter explains the drug he uses is heavily controlled and he has some sort of fake identity to acquire it. Stands to reason that a local vet may not give it out but would give ketamine out as it is far less controlled.

parkthebuslads

6. In the first season dexter explains the drug he uses is heavily controlled and he has some sort of fake identity to acquire it. Stands to reason that a local vet may not give it out but would give ketamine out as it is far less controlled.
Yes I agree. However, the fact remains that by switching to Ketamine, the drug dealers death is not linked to the BHB.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Could be. If they wanted to end it they could have Dexter realise she’s figured him out and Dexter gets Harrison to kill him. Harrison gets seen as the person who finally stopped him and then takes over the mantle
Called it.

I thought it was ok. If they had left out the whole BHB and Batista thing I could accept that. But why bring it all up and have him say he's on the next flight and then never use that again?! It's utter madness :lol:

I don't know if another season would've worked because it would essentially just be watching a trial, but a couple more episodes with Batista going to Iron Lake and then showing the ripple effects as this news reaches the world would've been really cool. Even if they'd have shown clips intersected with Harrison driving. I was imagining them showing a police conference announcing it or something. Anything for a bit more 'closure' on that side.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also:

I think the annoying thing for some is they brought a lot of people (who gave up on the show) back in and then it's over again in a pretty unsatisfying way. I loved this show up to the end of S4 and then thought it was the stupidest shit after that. They really redeemed themselves with this new season and now there's nowhere left to go with it. People won't take to it as well if they do a Harrison version.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They’ll start it with Dexter being in the middle of his new life probably with a fake name like Jacob. And he’s all bearded and lives in a cabin.
Oh shit I was right, even the name was close :lol:

Damien

Staff
Also:

I think the annoying thing for some is they brought a lot of people (who gave up on the show) back in and then it's over again in a pretty unsatisfying way. I loved this show up to the end of S4 and then thought it was the stupidest shit after that. They really redeemed themselves with this new season and now there's nowhere left to go with it. People won't take to it as well if they do a Harrison version.
Would be daft if they did a Harrison version given the whole point of killing Dexter from what they said was to apparently end the cycle. However, the showrunner is clearly angling for a Harrison version set in LA and we know Showtime will be looking at how good Dexter was in the ratings so I can sadly see it being approved. Harrison will probably end up being a master serial killer despite hardly having any lessons.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not sure I liked how it ended. The episode for me was good up until the point he randomly decided to break out of prison and run. It seemed out of character, as there was no way that wasn't going to be pinned on him. I really wish they had a few more episodes of him while he is in prison. They could have shown the screws being tightened, then make it look like he could wiggling out of it over the drug part and kurt 'framing' him. Harrison killing him just leaves an empty rushed finish really. If they wanted to kill him off, and at the same time redeem Harrison, they should have made it so Harrison takes the stand against him or something which gets him convicted off all the murders at the very least.

The show really needed to show Dexter being fully exposed as the bay harbour butcher to the world, and him having to deal with that reality.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poor ending to an otherwise solid season.