Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Well just finished the binge, and while I enjoyed it for the most part the end was pretty horrible. Can’t say I enjoyed it any better then the last finale. Solid enough up until the last episode. Maybe last 2 episodes. Wasnt a huge fan of the kid playing Harrison either.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I don’t recall the trees being sold but I thought that was fairly obvious too

Hectic

Supports
30fps
They should have had Dexter fling a ninja star into Harrisons head and then wink at the camera and cut to credits. Give us what we want.

wr8_utd

:'(
That was pretty clear I thought, with it all taking place around Christmas. Right at the start it showed the Christmas trees being sold in the town and then obviously we had Christmas Day near the end.
It's just not a very realistic timeline to be honest. There's just so much that happens in the show which doesn't quite make it appear like a 20 day timeline.

Big Andy

Bloke
It's just not a very realistic timeline to be honest. There's just so much that happens in the show which doesn't quite make it appear like a 20 day timeline.
In 20 days, Harrison managed to find his dad, start a new school, slash a dues leg, overdose, join the wrestling team, break someones arm, get a girlfriend, make loads of friends, help his dad kill someone, and even managed to look like a complete cnut when eating (really annoyed me how he ate for some daft reason). Pretty full on 3 weeks that.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In 20 days, Harrison managed to find his dad, start a new school, slash a dues leg, overdose, join the wrestling team, break someones arm, get a girlfriend, make loads of friends, help his dad kill someone, and even managed to look like a complete cnut when eating (really annoyed me how he ate for some daft reason). Pretty full on 3 weeks that.
:lol: that annoyed me too.

Roane

Finally watched the end. Was putting it off as I'd seen/read the annoyance some felt.

Overall disappointed

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I thought the eating thing was just me. He looked like a fecking idiot eating anything. Who eats like that? Glad his mum(s) died so they never had to witness that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The eating thing was a tie to Dexter, he even said something about how “he even eats like me” - it was something that was in the original series I vaguely remember, something he had to learn to change to “blend in”.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh yea definitely it’s ridiculous, but it was made fairly clear in the show.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That was pretty clear I thought, with it all taking place around Christmas. Right at the start it showed the Christmas trees being sold in the town and then obviously we had Christmas Day near the end.
I knew it was a shortish timeframe but thought it would have been more like a month. Way too much happened for it to be over two weeks. Just the

Dexter selling the gun to Matt, going to the party, killing Matt and disposing of body the first time, reuniting with Harrison, the search for Matt, Angela going to the conference and returning, Kurt's grooming of the women and the eventual kills and disposing of the bodies, Harrison's friendship with Ethan, the planned shooting and hurting him etc

alone would have took the vast majority of that timeframe even with the events being concurrent. Oh and Harrison and Audrey being like Romeo and Juliet falling hugely in love... guess that is realistic given that play happened in a short spell too.

evil_geko

Good review/rant of the finale that goes over all the problems with it.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I didn't really rate any of it. It really just seemed like the whole murderer story served as a sideshow to crowbar in this extremely dubious Harrison/Dexter narrative that was massively questionable in a series that already trades on the unbelievable, and then to finalise things with what we saw at the end.

The thing is, I didn't feel like I needed that finality and the actual storyline wasn't good enough to stand alone without the above ideas. It was a bit weak for me, but oh well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I knew it was a shortish timeframe but thought it would have been more like a month. Way too much happened for it to be over two weeks. Just the

Dexter selling the gun to Matt, going to the party, killing Matt and disposing of body the first time, reuniting with Harrison, the search for Matt, Angela going to the conference and returning, Kurt's grooming of the women and the eventual kills and disposing of the bodies, Harrison's friendship with Ethan, the planned shooting and hurting him etc

alone would have took the vast majority of that timeframe even with the events being concurrent. Oh and Harrison and Audrey being like Romeo and Juliet falling hugely in love... guess that is realistic given that play happened in a short spell too.
:lol: yea it was stupid for sure

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't hate the finale. I hate that Michael C Hall is finished in the role. I do not think the actor playing Harrison has the chops to carry a spin off.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why the feck would they tease a reunion with Batista just to blue ball us like that ? They botched the finale even worse than the last one. That takes some doing tbh

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Lazy is being way too kind :lol: It makes no sense from a storytelling POV and I'm not a TV writer
It’s almost as if they got to 8 episodes in and not having written the final two they just went on Reddit and found something vaguely plausible and went with it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Why the feck would they tease a reunion with Batista just to blue ball us like that ? They botched the finale even worse than the last one. That takes some doing tbh
It feels like the show runners had a different storyline, but were forced to rush it. Maybe executive intromission?

Ps. Currently watching "Oz", and it's funny how so many actors from future great shows were casted.

Just from "Dexter", so far I've seen Laguerta, Doakes and fecking Batista :lol:

kouroux

It’s almost as if they got to 8 episodes in and not having written the final two they just went on Reddit and found something vaguely plausible and went with it.
Even Reddit is pissed off at the finale. Said something alongside the writers giving a middle finger to the fans by not going with the finale everyone hoped for :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Even Reddit is pissed off at the finale. Said something alongside the writers giving a middle finger to the fans by not going with the finale everyone hoped for :lol:
Yeah they were not happy at all on there :lol:

This post basically summarises my feelings on the whole fiasco:

The episode sets up like three interesting premises/conflicts, and resolves NONE of them.

Angel Batista was not a character in New Blood. He was a lazy plot device. What was the point of that phone call where he said he was coming, and then we don’t see him?? How did they deprive us of an incredible scene with Dexter and Batista finally coming face to face after all these years? Actually some of the worst writing I’ve ever seen.

Dexter killing Logan was ridiculous and unnecessary. The writers knew this, so they had MCH say “there was no other way” like twice to Harrison. Uhh, pretty sure there were MANY other ways.

The relationships of the season had no weight or chemistry. Logan and Harrison were not believably “close”. Dex and Angela came off as decent friends. The kids were all super annoying.

Ketamine.

Dexter was illegally held in a jail cell based on completely circumstantial “evidence”, all of which was thrown on Angela’s lap by the police fairies.

Dexter is essentially the most prolific, clever, organized, serial killer in history - he evaded Agent fecking Lundy of the FBI, and numerous other extremely competent people. We’re supposed to believe his whole secret was finally found out by a small town cop Googling shit while wrapping Christmas presents? Awful writing.

Idk what the writers think a red herring is, but introducing the billionaire in the first two episodes and then having him just disappear is such a lazy one. It wasn’t suspenseful, just confusing and weird.

The climactic moment of the episode was both introduced and executed SO FAST. The whole final forest sequence was extremely jarring and weirdly paced. Also, having your son shoot you will NOT fix his mental problems, Dexter. You just ensured that he is, in fact, a murderer now. Well done, dad. I’m okay with the idea of Dexter dying, but that is 100% not how you kill off the titular character of one of the most popular TV shows of all time.

I’m not interested in a Harrison spinoff. Like, at all.

I could honestly keep going, but the plot holes and laziness of the finale are such a head-scratcher that I can’t organize my thoughts further than this.

I was able to overlook some writing issues during the season because I was so sure they would give us the ending we deserve. It’s almost unbelievable that this ending was just as much of a disaster as the original one.

kouroux

Yeah they were not happy at all on there :lol:

This post basically summarises my feelings on the whole fiasco:

The episode sets up like three interesting premises/conflicts, and resolves NONE of them.

Angel Batista was not a character in New Blood. He was a lazy plot device. What was the point of that phone call where he said he was coming, and then we don’t see him?? How did they deprive us of an incredible scene with Dexter and Batista finally coming face to face after all these years? Actually some of the worst writing I’ve ever seen.

Dexter killing Logan was ridiculous and unnecessary. The writers knew this, so they had MCH say “there was no other way” like twice to Harrison. Uhh, pretty sure there were MANY other ways.

The relationships of the season had no weight or chemistry. Logan and Harrison were not believably “close”. Dex and Angela came off as decent friends. The kids were all super annoying.

Ketamine.

Dexter was illegally held in a jail cell based on completely circumstantial “evidence”, all of which was thrown on Angela’s lap by the police fairies.

Dexter is essentially the most prolific, clever, organized, serial killer in history - he evaded Agent fecking Lundy of the FBI, and numerous other extremely competent people. We’re supposed to believe his whole secret was finally found out by a small town cop Googling shit while wrapping Christmas presents? Awful writing.

Idk what the writers think a red herring is, but introducing the billionaire in the first two episodes and then having him just disappear is such a lazy one. It wasn’t suspenseful, just confusing and weird.

The climactic moment of the episode was both introduced and executed SO FAST. The whole final forest sequence was extremely jarring and weirdly paced. Also, having your son shoot you will NOT fix his mental problems, Dexter. You just ensured that he is, in fact, a murderer now. Well done, dad. I’m okay with the idea of Dexter dying, but that is 100% not how you kill off the titular character of one of the most popular TV shows of all time.

I’m not interested in a Harrison spinoff. Like, at all.

I could honestly keep going, but the plot holes and laziness of the finale are such a head-scratcher that I can’t organize my thoughts further than this.

I was able to overlook some writing issues during the season because I was so sure they would give us the ending we deserve. It’s almost unbelievable that this ending was just as much of a disaster as the original one.
:lol: I even forgot about the billionaire and the whole fight against pollution angle of the first episode.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think it was to push Dexter to kill the police officer/coach and then set off Harrison.

kouroux

I think it was to push Dexter to kill the police officer/coach and then set off Harrison.
Killing the police officer was unnecessary. He could have knocked him out easily. Pure crazy writing. Batista was a major major character of the previous show, I wonder what the actor thought of the script

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Killing the police officer was unnecessary. He could have knocked him out easily. Pure crazy writing. Batista was a major major character of the previous show, I wonder what the actor thought of the script
$$$, He could have leveraged two appearances rather well as everyone else is dead.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also he's shown numerous times he can choke-hold someone to sleep almost instantly. It was just a shoddy plot device to justify Harrison shooting him.