Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

HsJ

waiting for the bastard thing to download. Its taking the piss.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Surely that is her purpose. Her "fussiness" is meant to be seen as a contrast to Dexter's emotional detachment. It is hard to make a fictional sociopath who is normal enough to function seem detached enough to kill the way he does and without Rita and family Dexter wouldn't be believable IMO.

kietotheworld

It's probably realistic, but since they've been married I've noticed her being a lot more annoying, and a hindrance to Dexter, already than in any of the previous ones.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was thinking more as a good plot device rather than as realistic per se.

And I think the marriage and baby are meant to be annoying because they are obviously distracting the hero from his work and hobby (killing bad people) just as it does to the rest of us.

Of course it could just be irritating but I like this program a great deal and I think the writing is brilliant so I could well be biased.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm starting to get bored, yeah it was a funny episode with all the neighbor patrols but for me the essence of this series is starting to get lost.Rita's indeed an annoying woman but she's necessary to keep Dexter connected to human people, it's his "camouflage".Trinity looks like a joke and right now the only good thing so far is the journalist getting topless.

Biscuit1871

So far i already reckon this is better than Season 3. So much better without Migeul Prado.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I'm starting to get bored, yeah it was a funny episode with all the neighbor patrols but for me the essence of this series is starting to get lost.Rita's indeed an annoying woman but she's necessary to keep Dexter connected to human people, it's his "camouflage".Trinity looks like a joke and right now the only good thing so far is the journalist getting topless.
Agree. I actually said to myself half way through the episode, "feck me, this is boring"

And speaking of annoying, I never thought debra could get any more annoying, but guess what, she's topped it this season so far!!

and wtf is with that angel and maria storyline? Absolutely pointless. Angel has gone from one of the cool guys on the show to looking like a fat grumpy lesbian.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The comments in this thread are making me not want to watch the new series, it sounds like its going down the exact route I was hoping it wasn't going to.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Agree. I actually said to myself half way through the episode, "feck me, this is boring"

And speaking of annoying, I never thought debra could get any more annoying, but guess what, she's topped it this season so far!!

and wtf is with that angel and maria storyline? Absolutely pointless. Angel has gone from one of the cool guys on the show to looking like a fat grumpy lesbian.
It always takes the first few episodes of the series before it gets going in full gear. As for trinity being a joke, jeezus, his killings are far more disturbing than any that have happened before. I reckon Lundy will be the one to die the fathers death. The newspaper reporter will print everything about the trinity killer and bring Lundy into Trinities sights.

Gambit

The comments in this thread are making me not want to watch the new series, it sounds like its going down the exact route I was hoping it wasn't going to.
Watch it, as i said with the previous seasons, it always takes a few episodes for it to get going. The last 2 Dexter starts of nicey nice, but then something happens that reminds us why we love this little serial killer.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh I'll still watch it, I'll make my own mind up about it, its just the comments are less than inspiring. I had concerns with the way things were going in S3 and it seems to have continued. Will definitely give it chance though.

Gambit

Oh I'll still watch it, I'll make my own mind up about it, its just the comments are less than inspiring. I had concerns with the way things were going in S3 and it seems to have continued. Will definitely give it chance though.
They're talking about the 2 more seasons, with next year being Dexter going into his dark side a lot further due to things from this season, involving Trinity. Apparently the second half of this season goes a hell of a lot darker.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Fair enough, the first two seasons were very good, especially the first. It fell off a bit in three but was still worth watching, so hopefully the later episodes in four will return to its early highs.

Ivor Ballokov

The Angel and Maria story is tedious, it was clearly thumbtacked into the season as the didn't know how else to get two popular characters into the other story arcs. A bit disappointing by writers who are capable of better but hopefully it will at least go somewhere good.

I find it strange people think Deb is annoying, I think she is probably my second favourite character as she not only has some of the shows best dialogue but there is a lot of mileage in her characterwise. Quinn on the other hand is annoying.

The potential for this season is huge, Dex is clearly going to want to go after trinity at some point but what with his home situation can he do it alone? Will he have to work with Lundy? How will he help Lundy without giving up his own murderous tendencies?

I for one am as hooked as I have been by any of the other seasons.

Gambit

The Angel and Maria story is tedious, it was clearly thumbtacked into the season as the didn't know how else to get two popular characters into the other story arcs. A bit disappointing by writers who are capable of better but hopefully it will at least go somewhere good.

I find it strange people think Deb is annoying, I think she is probably my second favourite character as she not only has some of the shows best dialogue but there is a lot of mileage in her characterwise. Quinn on the other hand is annoying.

The potential for this season is huge, Dex is clearly going to want to go after trinity at some point but what with his home situation can he do it alone? Will he have to work with Lundy? How will he help Lundy without giving up his own murderous tendencies?

I for one am as hooked as I have been by any of the other seasons.
I agree, once the cats out of the bag about Trinity, and if i'm right about Lundy being the next victim for trinities father murder, the idea of 2 meticulous serial killers going at it as well, plus the fact that Lithgow can perform at a really high and dark level has got me salivating at the possibilities.

Ivor Ballokov

I agree, once the cats out of the bag about Trinity, and if i'm right about Lundy being the next victim for trinities father murder, the idea of 2 meticulous serial killers going at it as well, plus the fact that Lithgow can perform at a really high and dark level has got me salivating at the possibilities.
It does seem to be the obvious way to go that Lundy is the next victim. I hope he isn't though or if he is they build up to it slowly as it would make no sense to kill him off before exploring his stories with both dexter and deb. I'm loving lithgow though, he is so evil but he is still so charming and nice it is just eerie.

Yeah i'm definitely interested to see Dex vs Trinity too, Trinity would clearly hold all the aces as he lives the perfect serial killers life of solitude and it would mean dexter would probably force dexter into making some serious choices about his future. And of course it would be an epic game of cat and mouse on a Superman vs Batman type of level.

Talking of Batman was I the only one who expected Dex to say "i'm batman" in the scene in the garage where he is confronting his neighbour.

Gambit

It does seem to be the obvious way to go that Lundy is the next victim. I hope he isn't though or if he is they build up to it slowly as it would make no sense to kill him off before exploring his stories with both dexter and deb. I'm loving lithgow though, he is so evil but he is still so charming and nice it is just eerie.

Yeah i'm definitely interested to see Dex vs Trinity too, Trinity would clearly hold all the aces as he lives the perfect serial killers life of solitude and it would mean dexter would probably force dexter into making some serious choices about his future. And of course it would be an epic game of cat and mouse on a Superman vs Batman type of level.

Talking of Batman was I the only one who expected Dex to say "i'm batman" in the scene in the garage where he is confronting his neighbour.
No, you weren't.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
is it me or has dexter started swearing a lot more??

The bit where he was walking behind the emo kid, wearing his burglar mask and the neighbourhood watch come out, he says "feck", that had me in stiches! :lol:

kouroux

Yeah Dexter is swearing a lot more, he even called the kid "shithead" when talking to himself.However one character I really like is Masuka, did you guys see his fecking car ??? :lol: so typical of his character.
In season 2 or 3 when Dexter was attacked in some sort of parking lot, Masuka came to the rescue with that huge weapon.It cracked me up. LFI indeed

Gambit

Yeah Dexter is swearing a lot more, he even called the kid "shithead" when talking to himself.However one character I really like is Masuka, did you guys see his fecking car ??? :lol: so typical of his character.
In season 2 or 3 when Dexter was attacked in some sort of parking lot, Masuka came to the rescue with that huge weapon.It cracked me up. LFI indeed
Spot on with the ar, what else would he drive really. I liked it when he was having his little crisis in season 3.

twitter thread suggester
They're talking about the 2 more seasons, with next year being Dexter going into his dark side a lot further due to things from this season, involving Trinity. Apparently the second half of this season goes a hell of a lot darker.
ARGH! Use spoiler tags!

Gambit

ARGH! Use spoiler tags!
Will do but it's not really giving anything away. All it's realy done is make you want to open those spoiler tags more.

twitter thread suggester
No, that I can control myself, but now I had no choice than to read a huge future spoiler, because you left it as a normal comment.

Die spoilers, die!

Gambit

No, that I can control myself, but now I had no choice than to read a huge future spoiler, because you left it as a normal comment.

Die spoilers, die!
It's not really telling you anything. There is a character this year that is advertised everywhere and the tone will be darker as the season goes on. Really it's not like i said that debs is gonna d..........whoops.

Gambit

Whilst i remember dexter fans kep an eye out for a web mini series called early cuts that will be about dexters early years.

Cina

So, 3 episodes into the 4th series, and I'm a tad disappointed so far...

First of all, this thing with Angel and Maria is stupid, very, very stupid. Those 2 characters had no chemistry or any shit in previous seasons and now all of a sudden they're at this. I find neither character to be really interesting therefore the whole thing just bores the shit out of me. A pointless plot line just to fill up some time.

The Trinity Killer, meh, verdict is still out, I'm not sure whether I like or dislike John Lithgow. I assume he's doing these killings because that's what happened to his family when he was younger or something. His sister got murdered, his mum (the woman he killed had 2 kids, so I presume that's why he always kills women with 2 kids, and his mum would've had 2 kids, him and the sister) kills herself after it, and his dad ... well, we'll find out soon. Just a theory though.

My problem with that show now is that Dexter is the only real likable character. Maria and Angel have gone to shit now, Quinn is a dick, Rita and the kids have gotten very annoying, and Debra is still a foul mouthed idiot. The only other characters I even remotely like are Masuka and Lundy. Doakes was an awesome character, but they went and killed him.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll get better, but it's all been a bit dull so far, the stuff with the neighbourhood burglar was just crap.

EricaNo7

So, 3 episodes into the 4th series, and I'm a tad disappointed so far...

First of all, this thing with Angel and Maria is stupid, very, very stupid. Those 2 characters had no chemistry or any shit in previous seasons and now all of a sudden they're at this. I find neither character to be really interesting therefore the whole thing just bores the shit out of me. A pointless plot line just to fill up some time.

The Trinity Killer, meh, verdict is still out, I'm not sure whether I like or dislike John Lithgow. I assume he's doing these killings because that's what happened to his family when he was younger or something. His sister got murdered, his mum (the woman he killed had 2 kids, so I presume that's why he always kills women with 2 kids, and his mum would've had 2 kids, him and the sister) kills herself after it, and his dad ... well, we'll find out soon. Just a theory though.

My problem with that show now is that Dexter is the only real likable character. Maria and Angel have gone to shit now, Quinn is a dick, Rita and the kids have gotten very annoying, and Debra is still a foul mouthed idiot. The only other characters I even remotely like are Masuka and Lundy. Doakes was an awesome character, but they went and killed him.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll get better, but it's all been a bit dull so far, the stuff with the neighbourhood burglar was just crap.
yes i don't think much of it yet - it's gone down since the first episode.

i liked miguel's character in the last series though

Cina

Interesting episode...

I liked the story with that Kruker woman, kept me entertained and because the family was away it had Dexter back to his very best.

The Angel and La Guerta thing is even more annoying than ever.

I could see half of the ending coming anyway, I knew as soon as Debra got it on with him again that they'd kill him off, but I certainly didn't expect it to be in that fashion, I presumed he would be the third Trinity death. Debra was only shot in the lower chest, which usually means the character will survive.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
indeed...

I think the Angel and LaGuerta thing is hilarious. I like how they've involved Dex, thinking that he's a normal guy.

Loved the story with Dexter's latest victim. Bat to the beehive, oh yeah.

Was it Trinity or was it Anton?

HsJ

indeed...

I think the Angel and LaGuerta thing is hilarious. I like how they've involved Dex, thinking that he's a normal guy.

Loved the story with Dexter's latest victim. Bat to the beehive, oh yeah.

Was it Trinity or was it Anton?
great episode that was, brilliant ending! Can't wait til next week. Wonder what will happen next...

kouroux

very good episode and very interesting ending
yes, the killing cop woman's story and how Dexter ended her is for me what's best about this series, I like the rest but the best is when Dexter does what he does the best.
About the shooting at the end, I don't think it's either Trinity nor Anton because it just wouldn't seem like 'em to do that.
Quinn,Laguerta and Angel annoy the shit out of me and bring back Masuka!!!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What a fecking episode.

The first half of it I was thinking it was in danger of being a very formulaic episode. Dexter finding a victim, getting the clue and then killing them, while other things about the Trinity killer would happen as well as possibly the third killing. Was very pleased to see the cop story go a different way and it was interesting and well done. Did not see that ending coming, I thought Lundy would walk off and then get bludgeoned by Trinity for the third kill. As mentioned Deb will survive as it was lower abdomen, this is a good thing as it now gives Dex a reason to get personally involved with the Trinity case. Lundy is dead and the twist will be that it probably wasn't Trinity. Fantastic episode.

Also "cnut! You're a cnut! Faggot! Faggot!" :lol: Trinity is a very intriguing character.

Donut

I was kinda disappointed how quickly they solved last episode's ending, but other than that it was an excellent episode.