Television Dexter | New Blood finale has now aired. Avoid the thread until you've watched it

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really enjoyed the first episode of the reboot. It was like having an old friend back. I am glad they didn't screw it up.

I had no idea until this morning that Dexter and Deb were married and divorced in real life.
Oh wow I completely forgot that happened.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I remember the last season of Dexter getting absolutely roasted on the cafe. Think there was a scene where Dexter was just blatantly staring at someone out the window in broad day light and no one noticed him. Man it got so dumb. :lol:

Hoof the ball

Again, for those worried about the potential quality of this new season, the original showrunner produced the first four seasons. Matt Buck came in and did 5 through 8. The person producing this new season is the original producer.

cafecillos

Thought it was a classically basic and average Dexter episode. I was curious to see what they’ve learned but it was the same style of incredibly basic dialogue. So much exposition with regards to the guy he killed as well? Everyone just absolutely spills their guts about him to give Dexter the perfect amount of info he needs. I knew instantly he wasn’t getting properly pulled over, I knew it would be Harrison and I knew the awful CGI deer would be shot by the rich kid as soon as he got close to it.

I genuinely think I could’ve written all of that. Rubbish.
I agree with this, so many tropes in just one episode. I thought it was as mediocre as I feared it might be. Also, haven't rewatched the original in years, but I felt like there was a massive general tone/atmosphere shift which I didn't dig at all, much more standard American tv than anything outstanding or even recognisable.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think I watched a different program. I thought it was an excellent first new episode.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think I watched a different program. I thought it was an excellent first new episode.
Did you not find it weird that the classic douche guy took a liking to Dexter and only Dexter, and then the guy doing coke confessed this secret to specifically only him as well. Just pouring out exposition to the serial killer. I just can't help but find it contrived.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Did you not find it weird that the classic douche guy took a liking to Dexter and only Dexter, and then the guy doing coke confessed this secret to specifically only him as well. Just pouring out exposition to the serial killer. I just can't help but find it contrived.
He has been inactive for a decade. This event activated him. Good enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I knew things were bad when Deb showed up. The whole episode just felt like one big cliche.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I knew things were bad when Deb showed up. The whole episode just felt like one big cliche.
It was a bit of a fan service episode, I don't have any issues with that.

Deb was replacing Harry's role of being his angel on his shoulder (voice in his head) that helps keep him straight. That was a nice move to get her back into the show in some form.

I don't really get the complaints about it being Cliche either.

The loud mouth rich kid is trying to throw around his money/weight in his home town. He takes note of Dexter being a 'boy scout' and sticking to the rules, and wants to try and make/help him break those rules and be more like him. Hence why he invites him to the party and says don't bring your girlfriend.

His friend is in a jealous emotional rage and coked out of his head, is it really out of the realm of possibility he'd tell the mr goody 2 shoes his secret? I don't think so. Dexter hardly seems the dangerous type at that point.

Anyway, I don't know why you guys get so annoyed about it, it's just a show. Go with it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Deb was replacing Harry's role of being his angel on his shoulder (voice in his head) that helps keep him straight. That was a nice move to get her back into the show in some form.

The loud mouth rich kid is trying to throw around his money/weight in his home town. He takes note of Dexter being a 'boy scout' and sticking to the rules, and wants to try and make/help him break those rules and be more like him. Hence why he invites him to the party and says don't bring your girlfriend.

His friend is in a jealous emotional rage and coked out of his head, is it really out of the realm of possibility he'd tell the mr goody 2 shoes his secret? I don't think so. Dexter hardly seems the dangerous type at that point.

Anyway, I don't know why you guys get so annoyed about it, it's just a show. Go with it.
It felt that way yeah. Maybe it was the acting but it basically felt like they got the character to do something they think would allow them to just blurt out the exact amount of info required to reactivate his killing. It's the same formula in most episodes really. The person he needs to kill ends up taking an interest in him. It's now new.

Anyway, I'm not annoyed. It just felt flawed and safe. This was a chance to reinvigorate the show after about 4 seasons of dross.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
They had a lot to pull together. The timeline of, is this directly after Miami, or the length of time that has passed since the series ended? How to replace Harry as the narration of Dexter's conscience (Deb took that role). What happened to Harrison? Has Dexter been killing all this time? How is he going to get police information if he is no longer working for the police?

Given all the loose ends needing to be brought together, I thought it was well crafted, but yeah, it did seem crafted. I am just so damn happy it is back!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The good guy, who did bad things, having an imaginary sidekick of someone whose demise he felt responsible for? There must be a million movies about that. Rich guy acting entitled to the point of harming others? Gee, that's novel. But wait, to really spice things up his even richer, titan of industry, father is also threatening the environment! I bet you never saw that one coming! And then there's the cliche naive police chief, who is so cliche blind to the dark sides of life, because there are only cliche "crimes" of stolen pies and loose sheep in her cliche town.

And for the climax of the episode the rich guy actually shoots the deer that Dexter had been obsessing over. I was shocked when that happened.

I'm not saying it was necessarily terrible, but it felt like the writers picked the most popular or established options at every junction of the script. Which made the story predictable and therefore boring.

Adam-Utd

The good guy, who did bad things, having an imaginary sidekick of someone whose demise he felt responsible for? There must be a million movies about that. Rich guy acting entitled to the point of harming others? Gee, that's novel. But wait, to really spice things up his even richer, titan of industry, father is also threatening the environment! I bet you never saw that one coming! And then there's the cliche naive police chief, who is so cliche blind to the dark sides of life, because there are only cliche "crimes" of stolen pies and loose sheep in her cliche town.

And for the climax of the episode the rich guy actually shoots the deer that Dexter had been obsessing over. I was shocked when that happened.

I'm not saying it was necessarily terrible, but it felt like the writers picked the most popular or established options at every junction of the script. Which made the story predictable and therefore boring.
It was predictable sure, it's just an episode laying the groundwork.

It establishes where he is, his new family/friends, his Son turning up into his life and his desire to start killing bad guys again. I'm sure in the next few it'll start to get a bit more fleshed out.

I don't see why people watch fairly simple shows like Dexter to dissect everything about it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It establishes where he is, his new family/friends, his Son turning up into his life and his desire to start killing bad guys again. I'm sure in the next few it'll start to get a bit more fleshed out.

I don't see why people watch fairly simple shows like Dexter to dissect everything about it.
But that's the thing: I'm not dissecting tiny details, I'm just talking about the very basic cliff notes of the plot.

cafecillos

Dexter wasn't always this cheap though.

Adam-Utd

But that's the thing: I'm not dissecting tiny details, I'm just talking about the very basic cliff notes of the plot.
Fair enough, well I imagine they went safe as it's the first episode in a long time. I'm sure once the main plot is revealed it'll get more complex.
Dexter wasn't always this cheap though.
People have said above the original creator of the show when it was good, now they're back - so hopefully that's a good sign.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
In Series 8, was Dexter outed as a serial killer or not, I can't remember.
Nah. Closest thing was Dexter stabbing the Series 8 antagonist in the neck in the finale with a pen, claiming self-defence and Quinn and Batista doubting it.

Dexter faked his death and ended up being mourned. Wasn't hunted by the FBI or anything.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought it started off well enough and i was intrigued by it, but there were a few things I didn't like. First off, that douchey guy was just too much. So obviously OTT in a way that some shows do at times to emphasise how much of a dick they are, but it is just so cliche at this point. Was also more than a little contrived how that guy basically spilled everything to Dexter about the douchey dude. Did not feel natural at all.

Also, not entirely enthused by his son coming back into it straightaway (if indeed it is his son) and where that could possibly go. I would have much preferred if they did a proper break from the old series. For a few episodes, at least.

I'll stick with it though to see where it goes. I really like the setting.

Big Andy

Bloke
Nah. Closest thing was Dexter stabbing the Series 8 antagonist in the neck in the finale with a pen, claiming self-defence and Quinn and Batista doubting it.

Dexter faked his death and ended up being mourned. Wasn't hunted by the FBI or anything.
So why didn't he just go to Argentina with Hannah and Harrison if he was off the hook?

Damien

Staff
So why didn't he just go to Argentina with Hannah and Harrison if he was off the hook?
Deb dying. He felt everyone he loved/became close to died/got hurt so he went off on his own so they could have a better life without him.

Which is ironically one of the things that got him back to killing again. He felt attached to that deer, it died as soon as he got close to it and he snapped.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Watched it last night and I enjoyed it although it was very predictable as others have said. I hope the rest of the series builds on this and it improves but I love having Dexter back as it was a really great show for the first few seasons. Not sure if it will ever get back to that level mind you.

Damien

Staff
Enjoyed the second episode.

Clancy Brown (Kurt Caldwell) is clearly going to be the main villain - the eye in the close ups match. Harrison is growing on me. I still miss the Morning Routine intro.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm enjoying the show. Ofcourse it'll never be a patch on Seasons 1 to 4 but its a fun watch for a weekly episode.

GeorgieBoy

Enjoyed the second episode.

Clancy Brown (Kurt Caldwell) is clearly going to be the main villain - the eye in the close ups match. Harrison is growing on me. I still miss the Morning Routine intro.
Yep they even confirmed he was main villain before it aired which I found weird but guess he fits the role perfectly so hardly a major surprise.
I too enjoyed the episode; but when he drove for miles out into the woods in the RTV driving over all the blood splatter without Harrison noticing. That was silly... :lol:
I'll let them off an otherwise good episode.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep they even confirmed he was main villain before it aired which I found weird but guess he fits the role perfectly so hardly a major surprise.
I too enjoyed the episode; but when he drove for miles out into the woods in the RTV driving over all the blood splatter without Harrison noticing. That was silly... :lol:
I'll let them off an otherwise good episode.
Yeah they’re still writing themselves into corners they can’t get out of without making other characters completely oblivious. Hurr durr Dad you’re driving weird. Also as if just driving over it would remove the blood stains. Already taking steps to make the local police look dumb as well.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I enjoyed episode two except;

How did the girl not notice the door did not have an inside knob? That detail bothered me.

Damien

Staff
The Ethan thing is giving weird school shooter vibes. I'm certain Harrison will kill before the series is over, maybe to protect Audrey.

They were trying to indicate that Edward Olsen is the main antagonist with his conversation with Audrey but I'm still sure it's Kurt Caldwell - particularly with the hunting aspect. Guessing the lie was to get the police off high alert so he can feel free to make his next kill/dispose of the bodies.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah they’re still writing themselves into corners they can’t get out of without making other characters completely oblivious. Hurr durr Dad you’re driving weird. Also as if just driving over it would remove the blood stains. Already taking steps to make the local police look dumb as well.
Hopefully it’ll be one of those twists where Harrison knew all along and he could just obviously see what Dexter is doing. Haven’t seen episode 3 yet mind.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Episode 3 was better. Not really sure what the point of the mine and bear was though. And then he solved it all so conveniently again.

Damien

Staff
Episode 3 was better. Not really sure what the point of the mine and bear was though. And then he solved it all so conveniently again.
Seen some speculating that the mine might be where the antagonist has been disposing of his victims and the bear is the guard. He uses a tranquiliser or something to knock out the bear while disposing of the bodies.

Could also just be that it is just a nod to this moment from S01E03 of the original series. Especially with the alligator comment afterwards - reddit meme

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Still not sure where Harrison is fitting into this long term? Enjoying it so far.

cafecillos

Do we need spoiler for aired episodes?

Anyway, the cremation thing was far too abrupt and convenient (how the feck was that facility so easy to access and use? Did I miss a transition or something?), as was the fact that the cameras in the woods went back to being a non-issue in a matter of minutes, but oh well, it's mildly enjoyable in a junk food kind of way, and that's probably the best we could have hoped for.