Di Marzio: Javier Ribalta (Juventus scouting manager) to Man Utd

jesperjaap

Moving from a scout to director of football is a step up, even if it is to Zenit, what is there to be bitter or moan about?

BBer13

If the guy left without another job lined up then you could speculate that he had a falling out with someone or wasn't happy with the running of the club. He has though been offered a higher position at a decent sized club which will more than likely pay him a fair bit more than we were, i don't see any drama in this.

spiriticon

I'm not too bothered. He hasn't been here long enough for his loss to have any sort of impact.

NRg

That's the type of signing I make in Football Manager when I spot a good scout, I never thought it has such a huge impact on the fans :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

devil in me

If the guy left without another job lined up then you could speculate that he had a falling out with someone or wasn't happy with the running of the club. He has though been offered a higher position at a decent sized club which will more than likely pay him a fair bit more than we were, i don't see any drama in this.
Nail on the head tbf.

Spirit of Solskjaer

So according to Twitter journos and the Caf Ribalta has left because he had no power over anything at the club, but him leaving is a disaster for the club and we're doomed? Makes sense.

el3mel

So according to Twitter journos and the Caf Ribalta has left because he had no power over anything at the club, but him leaving is a disaster for the club and we're doomed? Makes sense.
Tbh, that speaks poorly about how we're managed as a club not the opposite.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Well if you thought he was a good appointnment that logic would follow. You think he’s great and should have more of an influence and thus you’d be sad he’s leaving as it shows the incompetence of the club.

I couldn’t give a shit one way or the other but your logic doesn’t flow.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's definitely something going on behind the scenes, it stems back to before Mourinho so give it a rest blaming him.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
He kind of reminds me of Josh Peck from Drake and Josh so I'm not too concerned that he's left.

Hopefully we now re-evaluate things and eventually opt to get in a good director of football, which will be good for our future and piss Mourinho right off, so a win-win really.

MrHozl

With all due respect to Zenith, my initial thought on this matter is that he is leaving due to a new, somehow «improved» role like Director of Sport etz. If there were to be disagreances laying the grounds for the departure, I see no reason why he would not pick from a higher shelf. If he is the «master scoutsman», one would believe that top clubs would take interest in his departure.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Makes you wonder, what’s the point of LinkedIn for them when most of their career is out in the public through the media already.
LinkedIn is gone to shit anyway. Gone from a deemed professional platform to connect with those in your discipline around the world, to constant "sponsored" news feeds of crap and just turning into another social media.

Greck

We should replace him with the guy behind the transfers at Monaco!
We should start scouting the entire France agressively. I don't think the talents they are starting to produce are just a one-off generational anomaly

ti vu

Got Mbappe when he was 14/15 and bought Martial for €1m from Lyon a year before they sold him to us, Mendy, Lemar and Sidebe all purchased when no one knew of them etc.
You realized Emenalo is now sporting director at Monaco. The same one who was rumored to get in the way of former Chelsea head coaches when it comes to transfer (and rumored to be one of the key figure who made a mess of transfer dealing last summer and the summer of Mourinho last season at Chelsea). Sure he also oversaw when Chelsea signed a bunch of good players and prospects but doesn't mean he is supportive to the team plan. Talent hustling can be good and bad at the same time. You have good players, but some players wouldn't develop as quick as their peers and end up leaving to get game time else where.

Got Mbappe when he was 14/15 and bought Martial for €1m from Lyon a year before they sold him to us, Mendy, Lemar and Sidebe all purchased when no one knew of them etc.
He didn't oversee Monaco past dealings, but if they're doing so well on their own why they got him? The point is there is a system. It's not one man work.

Many people know about Mbappe, Martial before they even joined Monaco. They were every bit like Pogba when he joined our academy. Mendy Sidebe ain't unknown. Lemar was bit under the radar I admit.

Mbappe & Sidebe were well known for turning down a chance to go overseas to join Monaco for their development. This is backing up the notion that not many players would want to join big clubs academy. They rather joining a team where they have access to first team football to further their development. Scouting is not just spotting talent and send the cheque. Working out how the players would fit the project and convince player to join the project is vital.

Last edited:

Thepinhead

We in the UK and most of Europe, live in a capitalist Western society where we've all never had so much leisure time. Early humans had finding water, food and avoiding predators or invading rival tribes to fill 20 hours a day when they weren't trying to sleep.

In the absence of real threats, we latch on to any kind of lesser threat and amplify it to defcon 5.

At least that's my theory as a psychologist.
That, and the fact that we live in a World where patience isn't really a virtue a lot of people are taught. It is a real concern of mine if I'm honest.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You realized Emenalo os sportign director at Monaco. The same one who was rumored to get in the way of former Chelsea head coaches when it comes to transfer. Sure he also oversaw when Chelsea signed a bunch of good players and prospects but doesn't mean he is supportive to the team plan. Talent hustling can be good and bad at the same time. You have good players, but some players wouldn't develop as quick as their peers and end up leaving to get game time else where.

He didn't oversee Monaco past dealings, but if they're doing so well on their own why they got him? The point is there is a system. It's not one man work.

Many people know about Mbappe, Martial before they even joined Monaco. They were every bit like Pogba when he joined our academy. Mendy Sidebe ain't unknown. Lemar was bit under the radar I admit.

Mbappe & Sidebe turned down a chance to go overseas to join Monaco for their development. This is backing up the notion that not many players would want to join big clubs academy. They rather joining a team where they have access to first team football to further their development. Scouting is not just spotting talent and send the cheque. Working out how the players would fit the project and convince player to join the project is vital.
You make good points, guess we need to completely restructure our club because our current approach is best described as "throw enough shit".

Maybe when Mourinho leaves we'll get in a DOF so we can organise player purchases so we don't lose millions on assets like Martial because our current manager doesn't like him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial was purchased for 5m in 2013 because Lyon had problems with the DNCG and needed to quickly fix their finances. Mendy was playing for the most popular team in France and had a pretty good season for Bielsa, Mbappé was a wonderkid known by everyone and Monaco always had one of the best academies in France, probably the best when you look at the last 50 years.

Nick7

I doubt there's a scout in the world that would turn down a sporting director job. Good luck to him.

Fluctuation0161

I wonder what happened here? He was highly rated and got moved on in less than 12 months? With what we've seen of Woodwards arrogance I wonder if him interfering was the issue...