Di Marzio: Javier Ribalta (Juventus scouting manager) to Man Utd

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by roonster09, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jun 27, 2017

ilovethisgameahahah New Member

Nope, i don't even remember if i read it or heard it. Have a feeling it was from Howson in one of his academy videos but i'm not 100%.

Obvioulsy he'll still have a ton of imput and the final say. I just can't see Mourinho spending much time at all scouting players anymore and a scouting manager will be a great way for him to delegate some of his responsibility. He has never had this much to do and whilst he probably relishes it to an extent, a bit of help couldn't hurt. He only starts kicking off when the final say is taken away from him i.e Perez at Madrid and Emanalo at Chelsea.
  2. Jun 27, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

I wonder When is he going to start and will it be in time to hit the ground running to help in this transfer window
  3. Jun 27, 2017

Jazz Full Member

Excited about this. Hope it gets confirmed soon.
  4. Jun 27, 2017

Dembeza New Member

Do we do official confirmation as a club?

I remember alot of scouts that we signed but I'm yet to see an official confirmation by the club.
  5. Jun 27, 2017

SaboTaj Full Member

This sounds like Billy Beane from Moneyball.
  6. Jun 27, 2017

itso 7 New Member

Isn't that sowing seeds of a power struggke between manager and whatever his post is going to be? I do understand and appreciate the need to reduce the burden and power of the manager though and its something we should have done the day Sir Alex called it a day. If you look at Chelsea, Bayern and Juve you can see the benefits of having a proper football structure in place and making the manager just a cog of a working system not the architect and engine of that system - if you are going for a manager centric system then its sensible to be a bit more patient with them re results because you cant be rebuilding every other season.
  7. Jun 27, 2017

AlexUTD Full Member

Maybe he will push United for Sandro and steal him from Chelski ? :drool:

Great move by United and Ed, looks like we are building not only a team but also a great staff!
  8. Jun 27, 2017

cyberman Full Member

Sign established old players on the cheap and the best talent in Italian football outside of Roma.
    Boom. I'm Juve's chief scout.
  9. Jun 27, 2017

Akshay Moderator Staff

I don't want a power struggle but with Sir Alex we always had a chairman/CEO who knew football, and Woodward doesn't provide that. Plus Sir Alex was a genius and we can't bank on every managerial appointment turning out that well. Someone needs to be there to provide an alternate point of view, just to prevent crazy things like passing on Thiago and Kroos while signing Fellaini. Doesn't have to be a DoF type role who hires/fires managers and also interferes in tactics.
  10. Jun 27, 2017

ravelston Full Member

David Gill was an accountant who'd worked at a football club for 6 years when he took over from Kenyon. Woodward was an investment banker who'd worked at a football club for 8 years when he took over from Gill. Why would Woodward know less about football than Gill did when he took over?
  11. Jun 27, 2017

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

The guy had best cancel whatever summer holiday plans he had, the transfer muppets hungry! ;)
  12. Jun 27, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Damn straight, does he not realise that muppet lives are at stake here?!
  13. Jun 27, 2017

Akshay Moderator Staff

Not as a result of his profession, certainly, but Gill never seemed to be out of his depth like Woodward did at the beginning. Maybe because he had Sir Alex while Ed had Moyes.
  14. Jun 27, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

I'm hoping he that at the very least he will identify the next Fellaini, Smalling, Jones and keep us well clear of them.
  15. Jun 27, 2017

Jazz Full Member

Don't know to be honest. I guess it would be good to get some solid confirmation though before I start dreaming of us having a competent person to assist with transfers instead of leaving it to Jose and Mr 'corporate guy' Woody.
  16. Jun 27, 2017

Jazz Full Member

:lol:
  17. Jul 3, 2017

gr3yham3 Full Member

18. Jul 3, 2017

Jonnymufc Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Think this is a great move as Juve frequently seem to pick up great quality players for relatively little. However, why now? Surely should have been snapped early in the year so he could get ready for this window? Can't see him having much influence until Jan at the earliest now.
  19. Jul 3, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

These sorts of roles don't usually leave during the season.
  20. Jul 3, 2017

Well ok but we're now in early July and he hasn't been confirmed (afaik) so will be too late to make any progress this window I'd imagine. That is unless we've had him secretly beavering away on targets. Seems unlikely though.
  21. Jul 3, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

Juventus are reportedly after Douglas Costa, Bernardeschi, N'Zonzi, Danilo, Aurier - presumably acting on Ribalta's past recommendation.
  22. Jul 3, 2017

Could well be. I suppose on reflection he might have simply had to run to the end of his contract. In any case, I'm pleased with bringing him in. Feel we need someone constantly working on picking up the next great players before they cost £80m. Maybe even making a few acquisitions to sell on later, Chelsea-style.
  23. Jul 3, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

If you're expecting a confirmation from the club website/twitter I think you'll be disappointed. Don't think it is the type of thing we announce as he wouldn't exactly be a member of coaching staff.

Juventus confirmed he left to go elsewhere so I assume he's in place already... unless he gets a similar sort of contracts to players and he couldn't officially start his job here until after 1st July.

In terms of progress this window, he'd have a list to work from. He should be able to make the Morata transfer smoother at least.

In future windows it'll probably be more of a shared role with Ribalta recommending targets.
  24. Jul 4, 2017

Oneunited26 New Member

With the recent bleeding dry prices chelsea and inter want for ageing players, think we need a structure in place to start finding good players which hopefully this is a start, because the prices currently there needs to be a scouting network in place to find the gems
  25. Jul 4, 2017

Absolutely agree. I think overall it's a very good move for the club, I just question why we didn't have him fully ready for this window as I think it's vitally important for us.
  26. Jul 4, 2017

Mr.Ridiculous__ The name says it all

So what would be his exact role at the club? Chief scout or Director of Football, or something in between?
  27. Jul 4, 2017

ti vu Full Member

Sound like in between. Not that influential in building the style of play, direction like DoF, but not mere chief scout working on players' profile since he took part in helping players to settle (Morata)

I think you mistook that Gill had that much to help SAF in scouting & offering another alternative. SAF had his brother as chief scout. So in a sense this scout manager role did exist with us. Just that, to build the trust between the manager & this scout manager is difficult.

In our current situation, I hope whoever being appointed should be with Mourinho's full consent.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  28. Jul 5, 2017

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

You are more granular as a chartered accountant versus a more sales-centric investment banker role. So Gill was more trained to look at how the entire company is run versus an investment banker.
  29. Jul 5, 2017

AlexUTD Full Member

Any chance he is negotating transfer deals alone, since Ed is away?
  30. Jul 5, 2017

InfiniteBoredom Full Member

Ed was an accountant, for 6 years at least. I doubt he is any less qualified than Gill.
  31. Jul 5, 2017

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

ok.
  32. Jul 5, 2017

wolvored Full Member

That had a lot to do with it, plus following Kenyon who was seen as a pariah and a continuing winning team so the pressure would of been a lot less
  33. Jul 22, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Doesn't look like he has had any influence of our business so far. We know the targets were in place already but would be good if he had some primary targets or even alternatives to help us out. He would have been working on a list for Juve up until he left so it's not like he's starting from scratch.
  34. Jul 22, 2017

Ravelation Krump at me Bro

Though saying that, the reason he probably did his job so well at inter, was because he understood what his club needed; his targets he worked on scouting may not be universal when it comes to working in different leagues/teams.
  35. Jul 22, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Wasn't it Juventus he came from?

He would know players who could play DM which is universal position and not Unique
  36. Jul 22, 2017

JohnnyKills Full Member

It might take a year for ribalta's contacts to come into effect. Imagine a lot of his targets will have already agreed to move to other clubs.
  37. Jul 22, 2017

El-Manos Full Member

Have we signed him up yet?
  38. Jul 22, 2017

Bepi Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    What were you expecting, really? :lol: He was a clog in the scouting chain, not Paratici. :rolleyes: He will do a good job in replicating the chain and deploying a network of scouts, I think, but time is needed and there is no magic wand.
  39. Jul 22, 2017

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

The Next Messi :drool:
  40. Jul 22, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

We were expecting the next Dybala by now.

If this clown can't deliver I say we sack him and give it to Giggs until the end of the season.