Diablo 3 - Rise of the Necromancer

Lance Uppercut

Oh, it gets hard. But if you've lost your save, that sucks ass.

Lance Uppercut

Perhaps you can't save in the middle of a quest. I can't remember but that may be the case.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
"Welcome to the Diablo universe. And Dungeon Crawlers in general.

First off, let me once again assure you this is an entirely intended and, in my opinion, good choice for these genre of games. It encourages the re-exploration of zones you have already visited, and ensures that when you revisit that area, you are not simply memorizing important points A, B, C, D through to whatever alpha-numerical assignment you have memorized, but you are actually exploring.

I find it preferential because, for example [and worth noting, I'm aware ahead of times this comparison may fall short for numerous reasons, but it is only meant in passing] in Dragon age: Origins. I have attempted to re-play that game several times, but every single time I find myself entering a loop of "Remember important thing in place A, B-line there, do this, do that" always in the best/quickest order. It's repetitive. The mechanics in Diablo remove this as a problem, and whilst yes, I have to re-explore every time I have reloaded my character, I only genuinely have to re-explore if I want to or I have a reason progression wise to do so. Replay value ahoy.

Enjoy your stay, and Welcome to the genre/series."

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's due to random map generator Randall.

The game starts at 70 anyway, with rifts, torments and all that shit, endless grinding hoping for best rolls and all that. RoS was a huge upgrade on dire Diablo III but I still liked D2 more for some reason. Maybe because I was a kid back then and my memory's tricking me but oh well.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Diablo 2 was significantly better than 3 but I never played the expansion for 3, I've heard that it vastly improves the Diablo 3 experience.

quackattack

It's due to random map generator Randall.

The game starts at 70 anyway, with rifts, torments and all that shit, endless grinding hoping for best rolls and all that. RoS was a huge upgrade on dire Diablo III but I still liked D2 more for some reason. Maybe because I was a kid back then and my memory's tricking me but oh well.
It needs the cube :D

quackattack

Pretty much. Cube, runic words, etc. This shit was cash and it's missing here. Also, PvP is absolutely dead.
Yes, I kinda like it, but also it gets boring really fast. Cube and RW would help a LOT. The end game isn't too bad at the moment (can only get better with the patch), but grinding always gets boring at one point:)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Diablo 2 was significantly better than 3 but I never played the expansion for 3, I've heard that it vastly improves the Diablo 3 experience.
This is true.

I sunk hundreds of hours into Diablo 2, back in the day. I was so excited for D3 I had it on pre-order for about 3 years (as soon as it was announced). When it came out, it was a huge disappointment. The real-money auction house utterly destroyed the economy, and meant that the drop chance for anything meaningful was basically zero - my first character I played through normal difficulty, beat the game without finding one unique (or legendary as they are now called) or set item, and at that point I quit.

I read a PC Gamer article saying how they had completely turned the game around with the expansion, so thought I would give it another try and they aint wrong - its much more like the Diablo 2 experience now, which in my eyes is only a good thing. Drop rates are far better because the auction house has been abolished - different items (mainly legendaries) provide very unique and unusual buffs to certain skills, meaning there is still a chance for your character to stand out amongst the masses.

Skywarden

Reaper of Souls has been a very good expansion but the end-game is still lacking a bit. Seasons/ladders is coming in two weeks or so and it will add a bit more competition for those with a hardcore approach to the game.

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
ROS really improved the game. But I had more fun with D2.
I'm writing this from a Wizard's perspective who plays mainly single player. Some things that lead me to quit ROS until 2.1 comes around the bend:

When you hit 70 you first did act 1 bounties over and over again to get a Ring of Royal Grandeur (this is especially true after the shrine gloves' bug was fixed). Plus you can drop a amulet (the unique buff is meh).
The other bounty legendaries (act 2 and 3) are rather average.
Act 2: Shrine gloves (after bug fix) and Illusory boots are nice but craft-able sets are better.

Which means when you do bounties, you do either act 1 or 4(if you've already got a RoRG).

Then you did as many Rifts as possible to craft sets and get a good weapon+orb (which put you into Tourment 1 or 2). Plus upgrade your gems, of course.
After that most people just waited until they got a legendary which basically forced you in one of 2 directions.
If you dropped a good cindercoat or magefists you were basically forced to go fire.
If you don't have a Thunderfury and dropped an Orpheus' Wink (or maybe even a Moonlight Ward) you have to go arcane.
Lightning and Frost (after Frozen Orb got nerved) builds basically play no role IMO.

There is also barely any variation in a lot of slots in what your item's stats need to be:
If it's possible you always want to get CHD, CHC, main stat and elemental/skill damage on your offensive slots.
It's similar with your defensive slots...
Sockets: You always need a weapon with one socket, 2 sockets in your pants and 3 in your armour.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked the game but I think Blizzard is also currently sitting on the fence regarding drop rates:
The drop rates are too high for people who have no life and play 8 or more hours a day and too low for casual games who play around a hour per day, which gets really frustrating if you have a spell of bad RNG and only drop crappy legendaries (the so called "glorified yellows"/instabrims, or what ever the forgotten soul version of instabrim is).

I'll still play it again when Patch 2.1 arrives...

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I like Diable 3 better than the 2. Two was very entertaining, yet sometimes the Tal Rasha and Kurast docks were just repetitive. Tristram and Hell were awesome though. LoD was the best part of D2 far as I rememeber.

D3 was much more balanced thought the money auction house should never have been. Though the desert/forest campaigns remind yourself of D2. Not that much improvement in Act scenery. RoS is a very good expansion. Absolutely love the adventure mode and Rifts sections!

But then I always play barbarian and suffer in later stages/harder modes.

Posting this rekindlied my interest. Will go back and start with a different character this week...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm getting it for PS4 today. Never played it before and barely played any dungeon crawlers games before, hopefully I'm not going to absolutely hate it (although in that case I'll just swap it for Destiny in 3 weeks). Can it be fun for a novice player who had no prior experience with 2?

Kallech33

I like Diable 3 better than the 2. Two was very entertaining, yet sometimes the Tal Rasha and Kurast docks were just repetitive. Tristram and Hell were awesome though. LoD was the best part of D2 far as I rememeber.

D3 was much more balanced thought the money auction house should never have been. Though the desert/forest campaigns remind yourself of D2. Not that much improvement in Act scenery. RoS is a very good expansion. Absolutely love the adventure mode and Rifts sections!

But then I always play barbarian and suffer in later stages/harder modes.

Posting this rekindlied my interest. Will go back and start with a different character this week...
It was a joke. Once you reached lvl 60 you basically played until you had some gold and after that just flipped items to get more gold. With that gold you flipped some more stuff and maybe bought some items you actually needed.
I don't know how Blizzard thought it was a good idea to implement an AH which
1. forced 95% (I pulled that figure out of my arse) to use it if you wanted to play on inferno after Act 1
2. lead to much faster item progress than actually playing the game (which lead to no progress at all if you didn't invest a lot of hours every day).
3. had the best items (desirable with close to max stats) only available in the RMAH

I spend 3/4 of the time I invested in Diablo 3 in the AH to get undervalued items via buy-outs or to bid on outrunning auctions late at night (often while watching TV). I probably flipped over 90% of those items and only kept a few which were actually good for my character.

I think the reason why a lot of us like D2 LOD better is based partly on nostalgia. I played it until 2011 and loved it despite its faults.
  • I mean the beginning of Act 3 was just annoying as feck. I absolutely hated the beginning of Act 3.
  • If you played a Necro who used a lot of pets (I played one myself most of the time and was able to summon >20 skeletons plus revived enemies) or had a lot of effects on the screen it lagged a lot.
  • You were basically fecked as a summoner in those worm caves and Horazon's.
  • Iron Maiden casters in Diablo's Chaos Sanctuary + physical damage build = death after one hit (especially as a Fana-zealot). :lol:
  • Unbreakable immunities could drive you mad at times.
  • Mephisto, Baal and Übers were all you could do after you finished Hell difficulty. At least until they introduced those areas where monsters could also drop items with a high item-lvl.

Last edited:

Kallech33

I'm getting it for PS4 today. Never played it before and barely played any dungeon crawlers games before, hopefully I'm not going to absolutely hate it (although in that case I'll just swap it for Destiny in 3 weeks). Can it be fun for a novice player who had no prior experience with 2?
You don't need to play D2 beforehand.
The skill system is completely different.
The Diablo titles don't offer a lot of story (the render vids in Diablo 2 and 3 are great thought). There are characters who reoccur and it kind of has a continuing storyline but in the end that doesn't really matter.
That's just to get you to lvl 70 (or 60 if you don't have ROS). After that the real game begins: which is getting better gear and more paragon points.

Edit:
If you want to know what the story in Diablo 2 was you might want to watch the render videos in the game (cinematics):
You chase the wanderer in Diablo 2 and kill the 3 Prime Evils Mephisto, Diablo, Baal.

What's maybe interesting is that the dark wanderer is the hero you play in Diablo 1 and the son of King Leoric (who appears in Diablo 3). After you defeat Diablo in Diablo 1 he is bound in a soul-stone which the hero rams into his skull to contain Diablo's evil; Similar to Tal Rasha in the video above who tries to contain Baal with the soul stone.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It's quite easy to play. Levels are linear, so you only have one way to progress. Explorations are fun and good way to find items/money/XP.
I would suggest you read up the character traits and choose one that fits you. Taking on a character that is not your normal style will not be much fun.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
[*]If you played a Necro who used a lot of pets (I played one myself most of the time and was able to summon >20 skeletons plus revived enemies) or had a lot of effects on the screen it lagged a lot.
But then that was the fun of playing a necro, your own private army. Skeletons are cool to hang around with and I had a particular affinity to clay and fire golems. Too bad they done away with that in D3.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yeah I already have the original Diablo 3, am wondering if there is an expansion pack or if I have to purchase the whole thing again as a bundled game. I suppose I can look on best buy.
If you already have the original game registered in Blizzard, then just go to your account and buy the expansion only.

Not sure on prioces, but it's not exactly new, so think prices difference should be minimal.

Kallech33

But then that was the fun of playing a necro, your own private army. Skeletons are cool to hang around with and I had a particular affinity to clay and fire golems. Too bad they done away with that in D3.
Yeah I mostly played Necro and always with as many skeletons as possible but that still leaves the fact that it caused lags, which annoyed me. Necro was also pretty weak when D2 was released. Only after they buffed the skeletons they really functioned as intended.
Great was also that you basically only had to use curses and cadaver exposion which meant that you could watch watch TV or eat something while playing because your army did most of the work for you.

The fire golem was trash. Clay is the only one which made sense as he (almost) never died and slowed down enemies if they hid him (or the golem hid them...which never happend :lol:).

If you already have the original game registered in Blizzard, then just go to your account and buy the expansion only.

Not sure on prioces, but it's not exactly new, so think prices difference should be minimal.
@Dwazza Van Hernandez said he plays it on consoles. Wasn't ROS just released for consoles?

I think on consoles there is only the "D3 Reaper of Souls - Ultimate evil edition", which is a bundle of D3 and RoS.
Still it's more like "buy RoS and get D3 Vanilla for free" as the D3 Reaper of Souls - Ultimate evil edition costs the same as RoS for PC without D3 Vanilla included.

Kallech33

Yeah Kallech, that's exactly what I'm wondering. I have both console and PC versions but prefer the console version.
Why do you prefer the console version, if I may ask? Is there still a big difference between PC and console after PC got loot 2.0 and the auction house shut down? Difference apart from the controls and being able to play with up to 4 on one console, I mean.
And furthermore will there be differences after both have RoS now?

I liked fire becuase they have a very good damange when they explode at death. Good long distance bombing when facing hordes or main villians.
Good damage and golem should never be mentioned in one sentence.:p

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Why do you prefer the console version, if I may ask? Is there still a big difference between PC and console after PC got loot 2.0 and the auction house shut down? Difference apart from the controls and being able to play with up to 4 on one console, I mean.
And furthermore will there be differences after both have RoS now?
I don't see a lot of difference between the versions, themselves. Being familiar with the series I was really impressed with how everything transferred over to the console. The controls are great and don't feel limited in any way, which was one reason I'd always felt they waited so long to make the switch. Also, and mostly, I prefer sitting in my easy chair than at a table to play and think the PS3 controller is much more user friendly than the mouse.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think I may pick this up with another controller for the ps4 this weekend. Get a mate round to play it too. You can multiplayer in one room yeah? Sure someone mentioned it on here.

Kallech33

I don't see a lot of difference between the versions, themselves. Being familiar with the series I was really impressed with how everything transferred over to the console. The controls are great and don't feel limited in any way, which was one reason I'd always felt they waited so long to make the switch. Also, and mostly, I prefer sitting in my easy chair than at a table to play and think the PS3 controller is much more user friendly than the mouse.
Thanks for the reply, so it's more a matter of convenience/preference than one version being 'objectively' a lot better than the other, which I think the console version of D3 was when it was released because it had better loot/no auction house etc.

I only played D3 on console once but I really liked it. The only thing I disliked was that it was more difficult to target a specific monster if there were a lot of them on the screen. But maybe that's less of a problem when you're accustomed to the controlles.

What I absolutely hated was that you had to spam keys on PC for the CM-wizard build, while you could just hold down buttons on console to spam abilities.
It was a nightmare. My fingers hurt after about one or two hours of playing D3. So I thought: 'Kallech, why not use a mouse-makro?'...
After using that makro (I just had to click one button on the mouse and it would spam all my abilities, click again and it would stop) for about 2 months my license got banned. :annoyed:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Thanks for the reply, so it's more a matter of convenience/preference than one version being 'objectively' a lot better than the other, which I think the console version of D3 was when it was released because it had better loot/no auction house etc.

I only played D3 on console once but I really liked it. The only thing I disliked was that it was more difficult to target a specific monster if there were a lot of them on the screen. But maybe that's less of a problem when you're accustomed to the controlles.

What I absolutely hated was that you had to spam keys on PC for the CM-wizard build, while you could just hold down buttons on console to spam abilities.
It was a nightmare. My fingers hurt after about one or two hours of playing D3. So I thought: 'Kallech, why not use a mouse-makro?'...
After using that makro (I just had to click one button on the mouse and it would spam all my abilities, click again and it would stop) for about 2 months my license got banned. :annoyed:
Yeah, I guess the loot aspect was also there in the beginning. I'd never used the auction house, though.

I'm definitely better with a console controller than a mouse. For example, I often click on delete instead of rename in Windows explorer; no such lunacy with a joystick, though.

As you have gathered, it is definitely just preference.

Kallech33

Yeah, I guess the loot aspect was also there in the beginning. I'd never used the auction house, though.

I'm definitely better with a console controller than a mouse. For example, I often click on delete instead of rename in Windows explorer; no such lunacy with a joystick, though.

As you have gathered, it is definitely just preference.
Probably played a lot with 'little Dr Dwayne' when you were young which is why you are better with a joystick than a mouse. :lol:

If anyone is interested in laughing at my 2 pretty average chars:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kallech33-2567/hero/37918053

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You don't need to play D2 beforehand.
The skill system is completely different.
The Diablo titles don't offer a lot of story (the render vids in Diablo 2 and 3 are great thought). There are characters who reoccur and it kind of has a continuing storyline but in the end that doesn't really matter.
That's just to get you to lvl 70 (or 60 if you don't have ROS). After that the real game begins: which is getting better gear and more paragon points.

Edit:
If you want to know what the story in Diablo 2 was you might want to watch the render videos in the game (cinematics):
You chase the wanderer in Diablo 2 and kill the 3 Prime Evils Mephisto, Diablo, Baal.

What's maybe interesting is that the dark wanderer is the hero you play in Diablo 1 and the son of King Leoric (who appears in Diablo 3). After you defeat Diablo in Diablo 1 he is bound in a soul-stone which the hero rams into his skull to contain Diablo's evil; Similar to Tal Rasha in the video above who tries to contain Baal with the soul stone.
It's quite easy to play. Levels are linear, so you only have one way to progress. Explorations are fun and good way to find items/money/XP.
I would suggest you read up the character traits and choose one that fits you. Taking on a character that is not your normal style will not be much fun.
Thanks a lot. I bought it today and had half an hour with, seems fun to play. So I don't really have to pay much attention to story and can carry on slashing all sorts of enemies having fun? I have to get the grasp of controls too, how do I pick up items or change weapon on a console?