Did he really play for them?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How on earth Middlesbrough convinced the likes of Reiziger, Juninho, Mendieta, Hasselbaink and Valdes to join them up in the North East I have no idea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was going to come on and post Joe Cole but my thunder was stolen (he did sign for Coventry after leaving us).

Anyway yes Caulker to Liverpool was such a random move. Guy showed potential at Swansea and one season at Spurs which lead to an England call up then he went to QPR and like so many totally lost his way. Hardly played for a year and then Liverpool signed him totally out of the blue on loan. Pretty sure due to an injury crisis Klopp actually played him upfront one game.

Think he was last playing in Scotland. Had off field issues aswell.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could probably do a whole thread of these for Real Madrid alone:

Javier Hernandez
Fabinho
Denis Cheryshev
Nuri Sahin
Hamit Altintop
Emmanuel Adebayor
Jerzy Dudek
Royston Drenthe
Christoph Metzelder
[Irrelevant point] (Also played for Bolton)
Julien Faubert
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
Julio Baptista
Antonio Cassano
Juan Mata
Jonathan Woodgate
Thomas Gravesen
Add Saviola to that list.

I went to watc Real play BATE Borisov in a CL game in 2008. Madrid used all 3 subs and Saviola was still warming up, they had to actually call him back to the bench as he didn't realise.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wasn't that when John Gregory called him fat? Then he scored and pulled off his shirt flexing his ripped torso!
We also tempted Peter Schmiechel back to premier league that summer.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

The original Bald Eagle!

The PL had such pulling power back in the 90s. Great times!

2 man midfield

It's pictures like this that give me hope.

I remember Juve's 'let's sign as many average players as we can' phase, and Real went through one in the mid-late 00s. Both clubs came back with a vengeance, so it gives me a glimmer of hope we can do the same.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Aaron Mooy - Bolton

Emile Heskey and Shola Ameobi briefly formed a deadly striker partnership that sent Bolton crashing down into League 1.

Rodrigo.

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Even though he played there for two seasons and did well.. I sometimes forget Van der Vaart had a great spell at Spurs...

The other day he did a best XI he played with for Dutch media: Van der Sar; Ramos King Chivu Marcelo; Modric Guti Bale; Robben Crouch Ronaldo; He included 4 players from his time at Spurs..

Pires_7

Supports
Arsenal
Materazzi at Everton, I always thought was bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Even though he played there for two seasons and did well.. I sometimes forget Van der Vaart had a great spell at Spurs...

The other day he did a best XI he played with for Dutch media: Van der Sar; Ramos King Chivu Marcelo; Modric Guti Bale; Robben Crouch Ronaldo; He included 4 players from his time at Spurs..
Will never forget his time with us, such a classy player loads of swagger with the skill to back it up. Will never for get his double nutmeg on Wiltshire or the goals he scored for us, that Spurs team with him Modric and Bale was probably the favourite of my lifetime.

2 man midfield

Crouch’s name sticks out a bit there :lol:

Pires_7

Supports
Arsenal
Woodgate for Real Madrid, that first game :lol:

Siorac

Does he consider Crouch the best centre-forward he played with? Like, really? Just a reminder: he played together with both Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Does he consider Crouch the best centre-forward he played with? Like, really? Just a reminder: he played together with both Van Nistelrooy and Van Persie!
It's a big shout that! There's Raul, Higuain, Saviola, Benzema and Huntelaar too.

Even at Spurs there was Keane, Defoe and Adebayor who might be giving Crouchy competition.

Edit: Forgot about Ibrahimovic as well.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

edit: looks like somebody posted Sorin on this page already...

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Jardel, the Brazilian striker who had an incredible strike reassure in Portugal for Porto (125 games, 130 goals) and Sporting (49 games, 53 goals) played 11 games for Bolton in between those stints, scoring 3 goals.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just flicking through some of the euro matches and came across Porto-Portimonense. Was looking at their team line up to see if Nakajima was playing and noticed they've got Jackson Martinez on loan from the Chinese club he's at.

Quite a coup for them, was only 2-3 years ago he was playing for Atletico Madrid.

Minkaro

I'm too lazy to find a picture of it, but remember Steve Mandanda's year long holiday in London before just going back to Marseille?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tyrone Mears and Steven Fletcher for Marseille.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Madrid went through a stage for a few years where they just made the weirdest signings possible. From about 2004-2008 they signed so many shit players, despite the fact they were well known to be shit. Sorted themselves out the following summer though.
Sort of what we're doing now

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He’s a good player. He was, for me, harshly profiled by the British media, and then when he came to Liverpool, he was referred to as some sort of failed footballer, despite him having scored goals at Inter, City and Milan - in addition to his country.

Out of England he seems to have been allowed to grow up, but he’s not the failure that he’s often lazily referred to as. He’s scored goals pretty much everywhere since he was a teenager.
:eek: Did that really happen?!