Did he really play for them?

Redcy

I didnt remember inzaghi playing for Juve, and he scored 3 against us in the 1999 season

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Until mentioned a couple of times recently on the BBC, I somehow completely forgot Kolo Toure ever played for Arsenal... let alone 200+ times including starting almost every game of their 'invincibles' season :houllier:

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
George Weah played for Man. City that season aswell.
Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler, mcManamamanaman, Didi Hamann, Paul Bosvelt, David Seaman, Peter/Kasper Schemaichel, played for City.
Back then passed it players prefered to play for clubs like Manchester City, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City, Bolton Wanderers, etc than went to China, USA, Middle East or Australia.

Flanders Devil

Ashley Cole at Roma
[/QUOTE]
I had to laugh at this thinking that Cole was doing he’s best social isolation strategy in Roma

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not really a "did he really play for them?" so much as a "did he really manage them?" , but I completely forgot Tony Adams managed Granada until the commentator mentioned it during the Celta Vigo - Granada match a few days ago.
Managed my boys Wycombe as well, in the loosest sense of the word.

Came in about October of a season, basically wrote that season off as "relegated", binned off the best 2 players, and did bizarre stuff like sign 17 year old Premier league starlets on 1 month loans. yeah it was lovely to see Steven Taylor of Newcastle and a young Villa kid and that, but totally useless for the plan of the season.

Told the press he was walking out in the autumn of the next season before our board too. Dreadful.

Josh 76

Patrick Kluivert played for Newcastle United. What the actual feck!!!

And they signed him when he was only 28!!???

How did I not know about this! And what was a 28 year old Kluivert doing playing for Newcastle United?? Did he decline that young?
I remember he nearly signed for Utd in the summer of 1998.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rivaldo at Milan

Kluivert...at Milan

Ronaldo...at Milan

Vieria...wait a minute.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Managed my boys Wycombe as well, in the loosest sense of the word.

Came in about October of a season, basically wrote that season off as "relegated", binned off the best 2 players, and did bizarre stuff like sign 17 year old Premier league starlets on 1 month loans. yeah it was lovely to see Steven Taylor of Newcastle and a young Villa kid and that, but totally useless for the plan of the season.

Told the press he was walking out in the autumn of the next season before our board too. Dreadful.
Pretty sure Luke Moore scored a hat trick in one of those Wycombe games, was keeping a close track of his progress at the time as we had high hopes.

Think in the book he claims credit for bringing Nathan Tyson through who had a solid FL career and may have been a young player then.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Given we're talking about managers there Louis Van Gaal at AZ Alkmaar is a forgotten part of his managerial career.

Always struck me as someone like Mourinho who'd turn his nose up at managing anyone below the elite level yet his reputation had dipped given he failed to get Holland to World cup 2002 and then disaster second spell at Barca.

Was a weird spell for him there aswell. Should've won the league in 06/07 but lost title on final day by losing to 16th club and finished 3rd. Then lost cup final on penalties to Ajax and champions league play offs aswell.

Then finished 11th in 07-08. Van Gaal was going to resign in March but was persuaded not to (similar to his last season at Man. United). 2008-09 it all came right and he won them the league.

Van Gaal then took over Bayern Munich and restorted himself to the upper level of managerial wishlists. What amuses me is the next winner of the Dutch league was Steve McClaren so all this happens 12 months earlier and he perhaps might've ended up at Bayern Munich himself....:D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty sure Luke Moore scored a hat trick in one of those Wycombe games, was keeping a close track of his progress at the time as we had high hopes.

Think in the book he claims credit for bringing Nathan Tyson through who had a solid FL career and may have been a young player then.
Yeah luke moore and Steven Taylor were quality. But why bring two kids in for one month? It made no sense bar him trying to show what connections he had.

Tyson was a superb signing and having written off trying to stay up from early autumn the season before, for a month or so the next season we did well.

After that though it was back to totally out of depth mode and some of the players accounts later were as comedy as they were alarming.

Trying to attribute arsenal players to our players showed he really wasn't cut out for the lower leagues.

I remember him trying to play our promising centre back Roger Johnson at left back and suggesting he might actually be a striker.

Roll on a few years and Johnson was in the premier league..funnily enough at centre back!

TheReligion

Abusive
Yildary Basturk played 45 minutes for Blackburn Rovers.

Fernando Hierro played for Bolton along with Jay Jay Okocha and Mario Jardel.

Estaban Cambiasso played for Leicester City. Turned down an extra year. Had he stayed he'd of won the PL.

Jay Boothroyd went to Perugia and became pals with Colonel Gadaffi's son.

Kyle Lafferty played for Palermo.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can remember all those apart from Basturk at Blackburn, no clue what season that was but guessing under Souness?

Can remember Hakan Suker also playing briefly for Blackburn.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Didn't United have some random Scottish keeper on loan in the early 2000s?

I think he played 2 games or something

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Batistua played 12 games for Inter Milan in 2003, was well past his best by then.

Fingeredmouse

Didn't United have some random Scottish keeper on loan in the early 2000s?

I think he played 2 games or something
Whilst he was completely past it when we signed him and is a monumental wanker he is hardly a random keeper. Best British keeper of his generation.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Coventry and Celtic's Sweedish keeper Magnus Hedman was at Chelsea in the 06-07 season.

Renegade

Until mentioned a couple of times recently on the BBC, I somehow completely forgot Kolo Toure ever played for Arsenal... let alone 200+ times including starting almost every game of their 'invincibles' season :houllier:
That’s the team I associate him with when his name pops up. Striked a nice balance with Campbell from what I remember.

drdoityourself

Some wildly unremarkable ones. Will resist posting about Cambiasso at Leicester, even though it seems it has to be mentioned in every other post in this thread.

Patrick Mboma at Sunderland

Andrea Ranocchia at Hull

Eidur Gudjohnsen at Cercle Brugge

Remember Perugia also tried to sign female Hanna Ljungberg for the mens team playing in the Serie A. Would have been interesting to see. Perugia were up to some wild things in the early 2000's.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Pretty much everyone who was at Portsmouth under Harry.

Mental.
And they still got relegated!
Still can't believe (even after all these years) Saints signed the then European footballer of the year Kevin Keegan.
And Peter Shilton once England's most capped player!

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins

Since Carroll, Goram & Kuszczak is already mentioned, this fellow definitely deserves a shout.

Made the team, played 4 games, gone.

I'm sure a lot of you remember this: (go to 1:40)

It's also worth mentioning that the next time he played, we lost 0-5. After 4 games he had conceded 11 goals.
I was at that match. We were kept in after for what seemed to be a week!
Matteo Darmian for Manchester United ho ho ho

Didn't remember Jamie Redknapp truning out 15 times for 'arry's Saints:

2005 the season we got relegated!

Neil Ruddock had a few clubs,

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1985–1986Millwall0(0)
1986–1988Tottenham Hotspur9(0)
1988–1989Millwall2(1)
1989–1992Southampton107(9)
1992–1993Tottenham Hotspur38(3)
1993–1998Liverpool115(11)
1998Queens Park Rangers (loan)7(0)
1998–2000West Ham United42(2)
2000–2001Crystal Palace20(2)
2001–2003Swindon Town15(1)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I was at that match. We were kept in after for what seemed to be a week!

2005 the season we got relegated!

Neil Ruddock had a few clubs,

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1985–1986Millwall0(0)
1986–1988Tottenham Hotspur9(0)
1988–1989Millwall2(1)
1989–1992Southampton107(9)
1992–1993Tottenham Hotspur38(3)
1993–1998Liverpool115(11)
1998Queens Park Rangers (loan)7(0)
1998–2000West Ham United42(2)
2000–2001Crystal Palace20(2)
2001–2003Swindon Town15(1)
You wouldn't know it looking at those two, japing away on the touchline very merrily.

Good shout on Ruddock, I remember Liverpool and West Ham and that's it.