Did Jamie Vardy make the right decision to reject Arsenal in 16/17?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Asked about his thought process in rejecting the move to the Emirates Stadium, Vardy said: “I was in a hotel room [in Chantilly] for so many hours of every day with nothing to do. You had a lot of time on your hands.

“I am not going to beat around the bush – every time I thought about it, and every aspect of it I thought about, both my head and my heart were saying to stay at Leicester, which is why I made my decision to stay."

Since the 15/16 season, there is the benefit of hindsight to tell us Leicester didn't win anything despite remaining competitive in the league and Vardy proving that he's one of the best strikers. With thoughts of had he joined Arsenal leaving us questions of "what if?" he was the final piece for them, this was a period before Liverpool were as good as they are now. He would have battled against Chelsea's Conte, and Pep's City had Arsenal managed to compete with him. He will for sure go down as a Premier league legend and perhaps leaving Leicester would have tainted that. It's a pretty interesting theory if he would have helped Arsenal but he and Sanchez would be menacing with Ozil feeding them.

Thoughts?

Cloud7

Yeah. He wouldn't have won anything of great significance at Arsenal, bar maybe one or two FA cups, and just been a footnote at the club. At Leicester he's solidified his legacy and will go down as one of their greatest ever players. All things considered I think he made the right move. Also less press uproar and the drama and stuff that comes with playing for one of the traditional big clubs.

fps

Right decision and fits his character. Partly it was the right decision because it’s Arsenal though. Perennially clinging on to relevance.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think so, he'll go down as Leicester City legend,which in the long run will be worth more then an FA Cup or two.

We should have bought him though

Chief123

Asked about his thought process in rejecting the move to the Emirates Stadium, Vardy said: “I was in a hotel room [in Chantilly] for so many hours of every day with nothing to do. You had a lot of time on your hands.

“I am not going to beat around the bush – every time I thought about it, and every aspect of it I thought about, both my head and my heart were saying to stay at Leicester, which is why I made my decision to stay."

Since the 15/16 season, there is the benefit of hindsight to tell us Leicester didn't win anything despite remaining competitive in the league and Vardy proving that he's one of the best strikers. With thoughts of had he joined Arsenal leaving us questions of "what if?" he was the final piece for them, this was a period before Liverpool were as good as they are now. He would have battled against Chelsea's Conte, and Pep's City had Arsenal managed to compete with him. He will for sure go down as a Premier league legend and perhaps leaving Leicester would have tainted that. It's a pretty interesting theory if he would have helped Arsenal but he and Sanchez would be menacing with Ozil feeding them.

Thoughts?
Yes he was right to reject them considering Arsenal have been completely shite since then and have only got worse whereas Leicester have become better than them.

Superunknown

I like that he stayed, for the simple matter of it showing that Premier League football is more than just playing for the same 3 or 4 top clubs. It's nice for clubs like Leicester to have their club and cult heroes, players that have given everything for the shirt and continue to perform every week. These players have tried to build a legacy at their club, which I respect.

GenZRed

He made the right decision to stay.

As for them people saying 'we should have signed him.' What makes you think he would want to join Man United. If both his head and heart were staying 'stay at Leicester' then it is safe to say he would have had the same thoughts about joining Man United.

Imagine him and Jose working together though. That is something to think about.

Cloud7

I like that he stayed, for the simple matter of it showing that Premier League football is more than just playing for the same 3 or 4 top clubs. It's nice for clubs like Leicester to have their club and cult heroes, players that have given everything for the shirt and continue to perform every week. These players have tried to build a legacy at their club, which I respect.
Agreed. Especially when you look at Kante and Mahrez that jumped ship at the first opportunity (Which I'm not saying is a problem and they're fully entitled to do so), it makes it all the more special that Vardy stayed with them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It was post 2016 Arsenal's decline truly started in regards to finding themselves as the mid table team they are today.

If the timing worked out that Leicester did that a few years before to give him such exposure then he may have made a difference to Arsenal but on 2016 he'd have got them one more year in the CL, at best.

TheLord

Leicester may end up being a bigger club than Arsenal in a few years time. And he will be considered one of modern Leicester’s legends.
Good decision.

Foxbatt

Leicester may end up being a bigger club than Arsenal in a few years time. And he will be considered one of modern Leicester’s legends.
Good decision.
The owners are fairly rich and a well run company. But I am surprised that they have not marketed Leicester outside of Thailand in Asia.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes. He would have been in & out of their team rotated with Giroud & Lacazette, then a fringe player once Auba arrived. He’d probably be back at Southampton or something by now if he’d gone there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Clearly made the right call.
Would he even have been their main striker? Maybe not.

It's not like when Shearer made the wrong move and missed out on absolute bucket loads of trophies.

LVGSdive

Yes he was right to reject them considering Arsenal have been completely shite since then and have only got worse whereas Leicester have become better than them.
Ozil of 4 years ago feeding Vardy would have improved them a lot.

galwayfa

Vardy at any club apart from City and Liverpool would have improved them if signed in 2016

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Really? Arsenal have won the FA Cup twice since then and Leicester have won nowt. Neither club has returned to the Champions League either.

el3mel

It's actually a little bit weird only Arsenal of the big teams approached him.

GMoore23

If Fergie hadn't retired, we'd have signed him for sure and it would have been awesome.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Good decision.
Unless they somehow manage to win another 12 league titles and 14 FA cups in the next few years, I think we'll be safe yet.

Although, if we use your logic, I suppose that would mean Man City are bigger than you?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Unless they somehow manage to win another 12 league titles and 14 FA cups in the next few years, I think we'll be safe yet.

Although, if we use your logic, I suppose that would mean Man City are bigger than you?
The ongoing debate as to wether what you have done or what you are doing constitutes being a big club. Villa, Leeds & Forest all view themselves as being big clubs.

Web of Bissaka

Essentially yes.

If he join, he'll win few more small trophies, but there's a strong chance his goals will dry up as he play less and Arsenal getting shitter and shitter. Arsenal system probably doesn't suit him. Also his England career will also be affected.

If he didn't, he'll continue scoring plenty and playing every single games every season and reach higher Legend to God status among the Leicester fans and history. Continued to have good career with the England NT team.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely.

Leicester are a better team than arsenal now anyway and look set to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Is it really only two and a half years ago that Wenger left arsenal? Seems like a long bygone age. His last "not good enough anymore" team is miles and miles better than their current one. Incredible how quickly they dropped off.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think so, he'll go down as Leicester City legend,which in the long run will be worth more then an FA Cup or two.

We should have bought him though
I've often thought this about Van Persie. He essentially traded in his legacy and legendary status with Arsenal for one title win. I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, if he would take back the decision to leave if he could.

I've often thought this about Van Persie. He essentially traded in his legacy and legendary status with Arsenal for one title win. I wonder, with the benefit of hindsight, if he would take back the decision to leave if he could.
I don’t think he would. It wasn’t just that he won the league, he was the star of the team. I also think Arsenal fans understand and accept why he left. I do t think there is any bad feeling there

I do feel sorry him, then having to be managed by Moyes who likely significantly contributed to his poor form.

I would also add that RVP Is one of many great players Arsenal have had down the years. Leicester have only had a few, so Vardy is far more of a hero to Leicester than RVP could ever be to Arsenal.

Does Vardy regret not going to Arsenal. Seriously doubt it. Would have loved if we had gone for him. £30m. Would have been a bargain.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Legacy is overrated. Players want to win things, when they retire is a few fans saying good job or that shiny gold medal going to give you more rewards?

Anyway united fans have just as much admiration for him.