Did Our Defense Suddenly Become World Class? Why?

manunited1919

We had a makeshift defense against PSG. But Luke Shaw looks better as a LCB than he does as a LB playing next to Maguire. I didn’t have any worries whatsover about Lindelof, which I normally have several times a game. And Tuanzebe looked like a young but fully seasoned defender.
What happened here? Did everyone raise their game because we were playing Neymar & Mbappe? Did Fred and McT just do an outstanding job at protecting the defense? Is Luke Shaw really better as a LCB? Or is it the absence of an Maguire that actually improved us?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Bashing Maguire really is the flavor of the month isn't it. He will be back as our best CB soon enough. I think the fact we played a back three is messing some folks up (though everyone played really good)

ForeverRed1

No, it’s one game. World class is consistent. Any team/player can have world class displays but to do it over a period of time is when teams and players are actually proven as world class.

people are way too fickle and way too reactionary. Lose two games and it’s ole out, we’re shite etc. Win two games and it’s ole in, see I told you, we’re world class! Just wait and see how we do over the season. Anything can happen! Take each game as it comes and learn from the last however many years that we can go on runs both good and bad. When we’re good across a whole season and beyond and in the mix on all fronts, that’s when we can talk about world class!

Reactions: Solius

macheda14

People are also ignoring that we played 3 at the back even when praising Lindelof and Axel. I think Shaw player pretty well, but all three complemented each other.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The midfield worked hard and so did the rest of the squad. I think that's why, they were on caffeine and performed good enough to get a win.

Add to that is the fact that PSG have three similar players up front and none of them could bully our CB. No variety.

manunited1919

Feck off with that shite.
Did you even read the post? I am asking what was the difference today to make our defense so much better, even against one of the best teams in the world. Our defense has looked a complete disaster all season, and suddenly we are at another level. Why?

manunited1919

Stupid idiotic thread
What’s even more stupid and idiotic is not wanting to know what made our defense look totally solid today. All season long, whenever we are under the slightest pressure we look insecure and look as if we will concede, and all of a sudden we play the CL semifinalists and are completely able to absorb pressure without looking the least bit wobbly. I want to see more of this, frankly.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Did you even read the post? I am asking what was the difference today to make our defense so much better, even against one of the best teams in the world. Our defense has looked a complete disaster all season, and suddenly we are at another level. Why?
3 CB's and 2 defensive midfielders added to 2 full backs, meant at times we could have been defending with 7 players. Everyone worked hard and was super focused, as we were playing elite level opposition. If we played with that formation and those players all the time, we'd probably be just as solid. However, we are an attacking team, who want to dominate games and play exciting football, so doing this all the time, really isn't an option. Also there is the aspect of players 'rising to the occasion.'

manunited1919

Bashing Maguire really is the flavor of the month isn't it. He will be back as our best CB soon enough. I think the fact we played a back three is messing some folks up (though everyone played really good)
It’s not really a Maguire bashing thread. It’s a “let’s have a rock solid defense whatever it takes” thread. I actually think Maguire is a decent player (not worth 80m but still decent), but he seems to have been distracted by his personal problems this season. Still, it’s not about Maguire, and am willing to change the title.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Our defence has improved due to

A) Fred & Mctomminay as seen in the last 2 games

B) playing 3 at the back as seen in game vs PSG

I dont see any reason to have a go at any player. 3 at the back will help alot of defenders out; that's why it's called a defensive formation. I dont see why it wouldnt help Maguire out. Add Fred & Mctomminays energetic play just in front of any defence then things look much more stable than it's been.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The formation made our defense solid tonight more than the individual players did.

manunited1919

3 CB's and 2 defensive midfielders added to 2 full backs, meant at times we could have been defending with 7 players. Everyone worked hard and was super focused, as we were playing elite level opposition. If we played with that formation and those players all the time, we'd probably be just as solid. However, we are an attacking team, who want to dominate games and play exciting football, so doing this all the time, really isn't an option. Also there is the aspect of players 'rising to the occasion.'
Fair enough, but there’s something else here. We always look like conceding when under pressure, but not today. Even when we are up 1 or 2 nil, if we suddenly try to sit back and defend our lead, we seem completely unable to do it. We recently lost 2 semifinals where our defense looked very leaky. Perhaps we need to play 5-3-2 more often then.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yes I did read it, and maybe I shouldn't have jumped in two-footed, but can you not just buzz off the result for a while, and ask the question later.

You say it's not a Maguire bashing thread, so why mention how much he cost?

united for life

Can’t make all these conclusions from 1 game. Also, is this how we’ll line up next game? 3 at the back? What I agree with is that Tuanzebe looks solid every time he plays. This has to be factored into decision making going forward especially that the maguire-lindelof partnership is far from perfect.

manunited1919

Yes I did read it, and maybe I shouldn't have jumped in two-footed, but can you not just buzz off the result for a while, and ask the question later.

You say it's not a Maguire bashing thread, so why mention how much he cost?
Why can’t I mention how much he cost? That wasn’t part of my original post.

manunited1919

I just removed “w/o Maguire” and replaced it by “Why”. There are too many sensitive fans here, don’t want to offend them.

mav_9me

We needed 7 defensive minded players. Not complaining as we were away and that was the right set up. This good defensive performance had nothing to do with Maguire not being there. In fact the other big reason was they did not have Verratti.. Who would have controlled the whole midfield better for them.

I am actually excited that maybe if Tuanzebe stays fit he might help Maguire and improve our defending and chances of playing higher line.

TsuWave

It was one game and DDG still had some unreal saves. Please relax

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Because we didn't have a clown that makes 5 mistakes a game and gives the opposition a fecking 2 goal lead every time he suits up.

feck maguire.

RashyForPM

Relax. It was one game. Because it was PSG away, we could afford to put 8 defensive minded players out there. Thankfully, they all played very well, and De Gea was a complete wall. Try this at OT against West Ham or Burnley and we’ll be having more 0-0 games than LvG’s 15-16 season. It’s just a brilliant system to use against better sides, and credit to Ole for finding it as none of us would have suggested it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Relax. It was one game. Because it was PSG away, we could afford to put 8 defensive minded players out there. Thankfully, they all played very well, and De Gea was a complete wall. Try this at OT against West Ham or Burnley and we’ll be having more 0-0 games than LvG’s 15-16 season. It’s just a brilliant system to use against better sides, and credit to Ole for finding it as none of us would have suggested it.
Why would we do that?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our defense was solid against Newcastle mate not just PSG. When you have protection in front of you, defense will perform better. Scott & Fred were running their socks off, winning the ball back, making tackles, hustling, not ball watching, going for the 2nd ball. Recent example is this (Watch how midfield Bruno & Scott run back to the death while Matic was just ball watching):

So imagine if the midfield does that constantly? It will makes defenders job less difficult and less in panic mode.

RedCurry

It simple really. We had five defenders today with two holding midfielders. The two midfielders being Fred and McTominay who are both full of energy unlike Matic and Pogba. Like Rio said, the defense was not easily exposed today which had been an issue in our first few games of the season.

Theonas

Scout
It is really weird this perception that defense and attack exist in separate universes and are performing independent of each other. Of course sitting deeper will help your defense but hinder your attack and vice versa. Getting the balance right is literally the hardest job the coach of any team has. It is why you can count on the finger of one hand how many teams manage to do it consistently.

el3mel

Yeah it's just one game. Consistency is the key. Let's wait first and see. Definitely optimistic about Axel-Lindelof partnership though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
While not calamitous at any point we still conceded some risky chances. Dave was back to his xG shattering best and that might have made the difference to the result.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The defence performed well but I think the fact that we could transition quickly out of defence into counter-attacking mode made our lives infinitely easier against an attacking outfit like PSG. We were also going after second balls from misplaced passes to launch counter attacks.

I think collectively we are more mobile with 3 CBs. We are less reliant on ball watching and more proactive in getting the ball to Bruno and Martial.

Red_toad

Caf always needs someone to blame, in this short season it’s been AWB, Maguire and Lindelof. Last season it was AWB, Shaw and Lindelof.
Dave was very assured last night and we had 2 midfielders breaking up PSG’s, they allowed our defenders to look good. Had Pogba and Matic been holding our midfield, it may well have been very different.
Ole also got his selections and tactics spot on, swapped out players and changed formations as required, that’s not going to happen all the time.

joso157

Many of the issues early on were fitness, they were lacking minutes. Every year we usually have 5-6 friendlies, maybe more, we had 1 this year. Palace had played 6 games before they faced us and spurs had played 11 by the time they played us!

We only conceded a couple of goals more than the champions last season....our entire defence didn't suddenly just become terrible. You can see they're up to speed now, it showed against Newcastle, they barely had a chance against us.

Web of Bissaka

World class is too much?
It's high confidence and feelings of assurance, knowing Fred and McTominay will be around to help them.

Look, our defense have been breached several times in this game, but thankfully PSG is having another one of their rubbish finishing game.

Waynne

It's good to be optimistic and buzzing after beating quality opponents but we need to see the team perform to this kind of standard consistently throughout the season.

These kinds of topics can be revisited when we have had some form of consistency under our belt in all competitions and with different combinations of starting 11's.

Class of 63

Sourness
It's good to be optimistic and buzzing after beating quality opponents but we need to see the team perform to this kind of standard consistently throughout the season.

These kinds of topics can be revisited when we have had some form of consistency under our belt in all competitions and with different combinations of starting 11's.
We've just won ten away games on the bounce, almost certainly a club record, in fact I doubt any other English club has EVER achieved that, is that not consistently enough for you?

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Shaw was great today but he was also good on the weekend in lb.

We've just won ten away games on the bounce, almost certainly a club record, in fact I doubt any other English club has EVER achieved that, is that not consistently enough for you?
Great stat but weve been anything but consistent under ole