Did Rooney fulfill his potential?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Really depends on what you feel his potential was. The fact that that he rarely played as a straight out nr 9 made him a less prolific goal scorer on the other hand he contritubed massively to the overall team play. I don't think his potential was quite on R9 lvl when they were both young so I'd say he fulfilled his potential at least on club level. He won everything there was to win and all time top goal scorer for club and country. Apart from longevity I'd say he kind fulfilled him potential silimar to Giggs who was hyped as the next George Best but never manged to be the best player in the world but won everything at club lvl and was very often the best in the world in his position or one of the best.

Brocky

He did but he just peaked earlier than is the norm, I feel. In very basic terms, players generally peak in the the third quarter of their career, Rooney peaked in the second quarter and then slowly came back down over the third and fourth quarters. People then see this as him 'dying' out' and not fulfilling his potential.

SirMarcusRashford

Rooney's emergence to the scene was quite eye-catching but for me it wasn't on the same level of Ronaldo or Messi. I remember watching the game on eurosport when it was the first time I saw Ronaldo playing and he literally destroyed us, the things he was doing on the field, the dribbling, the technique, the flair was just unique, you just feel you are witnessing something great about to happen. For me Rooney didn't have the same wow-effect but still was brilliant, an exciting english talent, probably the most exciting back then after Owen in terms of breakthrough, so his ceiling would have been to become a world-class player, which I think he quite did given all the numbers and records he holds for both our club and England. Rooney also excelled in the supporting role, pretty much to his own demise, if he had been more selfish about being a striker rather than all-around player, he would have still played at big clubs at this age I think. I look at how Ibra came to the club and was fit for his age, if only Rooney managed himself better, still, for me he is a legend and a truly world-class player who fulfilled his potential in an era where we witnessed the brilliance of Ronaldo and Messi...
C. Ronaldo (whilst always had potential) was no where near Rooney's level until he was around 22, then he surpassed him after that.

Ronaldo's first 3 to 4 years at United, he was deemed a 'show pony' (no end product) whereas Rooney was putting in world class performances.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
IMHO, not really. His form was too erratic for a player of his calibre and you always felt that if he would be more professional, he could have played longer on his peak.

Regarding him questioning United's ambition: if I remember correctly, the issue was more about him wanting to join City.

Ibrahimorich

If he'd behaved like a professional athlete and treated his body as such, then he'd have achieved a lot more, so no, he didn't.

RUCK4444

If he'd behaved like a professional athlete and treated his body as such, then he'd have achieved a lot more, so no, he didn't.
I'm not sure he would have 'achieved a lot more.' I mean in what sense? He won everything there is to win at club level and England will never win anything regardless of how good Rooney was/could have been.

I think many people wrongly compare Rooney to Ronaldo as they were both here at the club at the same time, when in reality Rooney was always going to be a level below peak Ronaldo. Just like every other player on earth except Messi.

I think it's fair to assume there was perhaps another tenth of potential he could have unlocked by being as dedicated as Ronaldo but no player is as dedicated as Ronnie.

Rooney was incredible, carried this club on his back at times and was our talisman. Top goalscorer for the most famous club on earth and top scorer for his country. Won everything there is to win and he played a BIG part in every one of those trophies.

In the top three players to ever play in the premier league imo, all things considered.

RooneyLegend

His injuries robbed him of the opportunity to fulfil his potential. All this talk about his lifestyle is overboard, the biggest changes in his athleticism came after the injuries where really you could see he didn't look the same.

On top of that our team after he took over it just headed in the wrong direction. Giggs in midfield, Valencia manning the wings, Cheech up top, mediocrity basically just started to seep in to our side. Very hard to be a dominant player if you aren't in a dominant team. You could even see with the statistical drop off of CR7 from 08 to 09. Take our front 6 in the CL final in 11 and compare it to the oppositions. It's comical to even think of it.

All in all he had a hell of a career and was a hell of a player. A winner of note.

RooneyLegend

In the top three players to ever play in the premier league imo, all things considered.
That's taking it too far. I'd say he's maybe in the top 3 United players in the prem era alongside Eric and CR7. That in itself is something Becks, Keane and RVN would be competing for.

RUCK4444

That's taking it too far. I'd say he's maybe in the top 3 United players in the prem era alongside Eric and CR7. That in itself is something Becks, Keane and RVN would be competing for.
I don’t think it is. For the sake of argument I have Ronaldo and Henry ahead of him, with Rooney third.

Nobody in the premier league was as dominant as him for as long, his goal scoring record speaks for itself, as does his trophy collection. Not to mention how pivotal he was to his club in more than just a goal scoring capacity, vital in our build up as well, huge part of United’s success.

Others may have had higher peaks but when you look at his entire career I would definitely have him in the top 3 players from the PL era.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Its funny how people blame Rooney for his poor career but people dont ever blame Manchester United :rolleyes:

Literally one of the only players in his prime who stayed here post Ronaldo, playing with utter average players like Chicarito, Berbatov and Valencia - it all suddenly shockingly changed for the better when Van Persie joined the lad.

SAF is an absolute legend but for nearly 15+ years players like Giggs and Scholes were still at the core of how we were playing as a club as well in midfield up until the moment he was retiring. Rooney was still playing with that, no matter how good it is and its benefits it could have been a bit better towards the end - much like Rooneys career.

Rooney reached his potential and won all he could have won being a United player. The only thing he could have done is have had a year or 2 longer career which would have made minimal impact- a) considering how United was managed by all its managers, b) he had won titles broken records and would have only probably learnt how to drop how to play CM a bit earlier in his career.

What more could he have won at United? Be the main man alongside Antonio Valencia playing behind Chicarito? The guy offered us loyalty and then took it away in his head during one transfer window - ever since then alot of our fans dont really value him that much. He saw how poor United was managed the same way our fans complain about it now - the difference is he wanted to leave when that was happening because he still had a career.

Shame.

RUCK4444

Its funny how people blame Rooney for his poor career but people dont ever blame Manchester United :rolleyes:

Literally one of the only players in his prime who stayed here post Ronaldo, playing with utter average players like Chicarito, Berbatov and Valencia - it all suddenly shockingly changed for the better when Van Persie joined the lad.

SAF is an absolute legend but for nearly 15+ years players like Giggs and Scholes were still at the core of how we were playing as a club as well in midfield up until the moment he was retiring. Rooney was still playing with that, no matter how good it is and its benefits it could have been a bit better towards the end - much like Rooneys career.

Rooney reached his potential and won all he could have won being a United player. The only thing he could have done is have had a year or 2 longer career which would have made minimal impact- a) considering how United was managed by all its managers, b) he had won titles broken records and would have only probably learnt how to drop how to play CM a bit earlier in his career.

What more could he have won at United? Be the main man alongside Antonio Valencia playing behind Chicarito? The guy offered us loyalty and then took it away in his head during one transfer window - ever since then alot of our fans dont really value him that much. He saw how poor United was managed the same way our fans complain about it now - the difference is he wanted to leave when that was happening because he still had a career.

Shame.
On the bolded who is saying this? Whoever is needs ignoring anyway.

He had an incredible career and was an incredible player.

MUTV had on a long show today which shows all 2000 PL goals for the club, watch it and see just how many goals he scored but importantly how feckin important he was to the team in our general play and build up.

He was unique in that sense, he scored more than Aguero has and yet he was, for a long time, the most creative player in our side. He carried this club at times in his career.

He should be respected by all United fans.

always_hoping

Hard to believe its a decade ago already. Was great to be in attendance for such a match winner.

redrobed

He’s never going to have any regrets and nor should he. I think he reached his top level - to the extent that anyone can and it was some level. He maybe could have drawn it out a bit longer - he potentially could have maintained the level longer but even after he fell off a little he was still better than just about everyone else.

Thinking about Rooney this evening. And what 18 year old Rooney would bring to us now!

People question if he's a legend? If he was world class? Of course he was. Just remember the goals, the assists, the power, the heart, the never say die win at all costs mentality.

People say like likes of Bruno and Pogba are top class players - not even 25% of Wazza. Much heralded young players like Rashford and Greenwood aren't in Rooney's league, just think what he was doing at their age and younger.

After the shit we're getting served up now, we get told these player are top class, don't make me laugh!!

Anyone else in need of some happy nostalgia, just sit back and enjoy a world class player:

RUCK4444

Thinking about Rooney this evening. And what 18 year old Rooney would bring to us now!

People question if he's a legend? If he was world class? Of course he was. Just remember the goals, the assists, the power, the heart, the never say die win at all costs mentality.

People say like likes of Bruno and Pogba are top class players - not even 25% of Wazza. Much heralded young players like Rashford and Greenwood aren't in Rooney's league, just think what he was doing at their age and younger.

After the shit we're getting served up now, we get told these player are top class, don't make me laugh!!

Anyone else in need of some happy nostalgia, just sit back and enjoy a world class player:

I’d choose an 18 year old Rooney over any previous United player.

Absolute force of nature at that age. Best teenager I’ve ever seen and an absolute legend for this club throughout his career imo.

The complete player, power, pace, scored all sorts of goals and assists, dragged the team on his back when needed. Different animal.

AaronRedDevil

Hell I'd pick a 30 yr old Rooney everyday. Extremely underrated player. So much quality.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wayne Rooney:
England's most capped outfield player
England's all time top scorer
Manchester uniteds all time top scorer
Champions league winner
5 premier leagues

The most amazing thing about all that is that he still didn't quite fulfill his potential (as most players dont)