Did Rooney's finish remind you of anything?

Chabon

Not exact, but close enough to bring a smile to the face.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yup. Thought the exact thing when he scored. Good memories.

Leg-End

Yeah thats what I thought immediately after the goal.

Phil

Nahhh, that one was way better. I went insane.

/Maybe it was worse due to the terrible stream.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It reminded me how crucial Eric's goals were in the '95/'96 season; Wayne's doing the same thing.

Godfather

Rooney's was better. Ronaldo got a vital deflection.
Both very important goals though I'd assume.

SER19

ya agree with all, it reminded me of it two the way he's clearly having a think for a second about 40 yards out before deciding to go alone. great goal and hopefully the same end result

SirAF

Ageist
Yup! Gaz said the same on twitter as well :lol: Classy goal.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yeah, uncannily similar circumstances. Ronaldo's was better/more significant though in my opinion despite the deflection. He took on 3 players and started with the ball inside his own half, and it happened at a time whereby failing to win would've been absolutely massive. Alongside John O'Shea's goal at Anfield (which happened around about that time also), that is up there with the most mental I've ever gone whilst celebrating a goal.

There was a lot of that during that season, to be fair. The Louis Saha goal against Chelsea, Carrick's first against Roma, Rooney against Milan...something about that year was very special.

gamma1

Yes, to some degree it did. Hopefully we’ll build on today’s result and consolidate our very attractive league position all the way up to May, like we triumphantly managed in that memorable 06/07 season.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yeah that's what I thought of but different kind of game . Fulham absolutely battered us that season when we were pretty much on our last legs until Ronaldo rescued us. I am still not sure whether Giggsy meant that volley he scored in the game

Platato

Psst!
Obviously Ronnie's was better but there is that glaring similarity in how both players used the defender as a sort of decoy to shape the shot past the keeper. Textbook forward play.

SER19

Yeah that's what I thought of but different kind of game . Fulham absolutely battered us that season when we were pretty much on our last legs until Ronaldo rescued us. I am still not sure whether Giggsy meant that volley he scored in the game
remember an interview where giggsy said it frustrated him when people say that, that it was a very difficult technique

Jaap

Rooney did score an eerily similar goal a couple of years ago - not sure whether it was at home or away. Vital, vital goal.

wr8_utd

:'(
Yep thought pretty much the same thing when that goal went in.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I feel ronaldo's was a lot more crucial then rooney's goal (taking nothing away from the significance of today's goal btw!)

I seem to remember we'd gone 3 years without a title before ronnie popped up with that late winner and from then on I knew we'd be champions!!

NinjaFletch

Pretty sure Ronaldo's finish was deflected.

The run was amazing though.

Eriku

Rooney's finish was better, but the timing in the league run and the fact that it was in the dying minutes means that the Ronaldo one had me going more mental. And yeah, like so many others my mind went there at the time of the goal.

ciderman9000000

Baffled by those saying Ronaldo's was a better goal.

More crucial perhaps, but Ronnie's shot would have gone straight to keeper had it not taken a deflection.

Shimo

Obviously Ronnie's was better but there is that glaring similarity in how both players used the defender as a sort of decoy to shape the shot past the keeper. Textbook forward play.
Better? Ronnie's took a very helpful defelection, Rooney's was inch perfect around the defender.

Widnes

Thought about that myself just after the game, have a good run of fixtures now hopefully we can take full advantage.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Ronaldo had the better run and Rooney the better finish, similarly important in all probability but I seem to remember Ronaldos as being at a more critical stage of the season.

Bales goal the other day reminded me of Ronaldos a little, even though he did charge through the centre. In terms of combining a run and clean finish his is probably the best but I'd still say Ronaldos is best overall, his dribbling that year was sometthing else. Shame it will be probably forgotten in the context of his career by the time he's finished.

Platato

Psst!
Better? Ronnie's took a very helpful defelection, Rooney's was inch perfect around the defender.
should have clarified. Said it better was because of what it meant for the season and ronaldo went past 3 players. The only thing about Rooney's goal was the finish was better.