Did we deserve a penalty in that game?

Oranges038

Fouls happen when the balls away every game
But it wasn't even a foul, there was barely minimal contact, not enough for him to go down like that.

Would you have thought it was a pen if that were Bowen or Benrahma throwing themselves to the floor?

cyberman

But it wasn't even a foul, there was barely minimal contact, not enough for him to go down like that.

Would you have thought it was a pen if that were Bowen or Benrahma throwing themselves to the floor?
I would. Make a tackle like that and you have to get the ball. Not getting the ball and contacting the player just has to be a pen.

Oranges038

I would. Make a tackle like that and you have to get the ball. Not getting the ball and contacting the player just has to be a pen.
What has getting the ball got to do with penalty? You can be fouled with or without the ball

Seriously, for the second one? where he flops on the ground after getting his arm brushed?

It's not a penalty and not because he's not getting the ball. Because it's clearly not even close to being a foul.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They don't think the Zouma tackling was a penalty.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I'd be interested in knowing the ref's justification for not giving the penalty to West Ham. My assumption is because they felt Soucek wasn't going for the ball himself, so it therefore becomes obstruction of AWB. But that's only a guess.

I do think the one pictured was a clear penalty, and the later Zouma one too, regardless of what the feedback meeting says mind.

kiristao

I don't understand this "he was already going down" argument. Even if Ronaldo was already going down, Zouma made full on contact with him so it has got to be a foul and therefore a penalty.
From what I understand, the argument is that Ronaldo was already going down so it's not the contact that made him fall and that is why the penalty was not given. By that logic, if a defender kicks a striker and he stays on his feet, it's no longer a foul and penalty?

Red Rash

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but if the referee felt that Ronaldo dived for all three the why wasn't he given a yellow or red card?

In my opinion the referee should have reviewed all incidents with VAR and either rewarded the penalty or warned Ronaldo. I think two of them were penalties for sure.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I thought they were all soft. In each case, including the Soucek one, I felt the player was fishing for contact. Ronaldo might have got the last one but he went down far to early. The first one was clever by Ronaldo, he subtly changed direction from the path of the ball and ran into the players leg when he could clearly avoid. I though Soucek was sneaky too. It's a contact sport.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Originally thought the first one was right not to be given but the second one should have been but I've now flipped on that. The first one was more of a penalty than the second (where he was going down before there was any significant contact I think) and that's the one that should have been given.

Either way, we should have had a penalty. Though tbf West Ham could have had another as well.

Hammondo

1st. Yes, hands up leg out. Standard defender "I was trying to get out of the way" move. Still a pelanty.
2nd. No, nothing in it, he wasn't getting the ball anyway
3rd. No. He's on his way down before the contact, that's why it's not been given.

As always with these, it's a case of seen them given on another day.

Found this vid on youtube for anyone that wants another look.

Last one was 100 percent red imo. Other 2 I am not 100 percent they are pens.

El Zoido

So Ronaldo’s second shout when he was pulled back in the box. If Ronaldo had pulled a player back like that and then headed the ball in the net, it 100% would have been disallowed.

Teja

Rewatching that, even the first one is a Pen. I don't think he lost control of the ball and went down as it was being claimed during the game. He could've tried to get out of the way, but I don't think the bar should be 'could the attacker have avoided the contact' in a situation like that.

He just continued moving in the same direction there, didn't intentionally run into Coufal, so it should be a pen.

RedDevil@84

So the referees panel has reviewed and decided that Atkinson made 2 errors yesterday. So what are they going to do about it. My guess is he probably gets a pay rise.