Did we deserve a penalty in that game?

kiristao

I agree with the lot who say the first is debatable but for me, when the Pogba foul on Zouma was given as a foul, then this had to be a penalty. In fact in Ronaldo's case there is more contact.
The last one was as clear a penalty as could be. Heard some ref saying it wasn't given as Ronaldo was already going down. Doesn't matter if he was because there was absolutely clear full on contact.

Juansar_07

Last one was a pen as many have already pointed out. Maybe Atkinson had set his mind of not giving one to Ronaldo as he felt dubious of Ronnie's intention every time he went down. VAR probably gave referee the benefit of doubt but should have accessed it a bit rigorously.

It was a sheer disappointment and must've won 3-1.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The fact our last two games have ended without Ronaldo being awarded a penalty is bizarre. The last one. VAR. For the love of all things above!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It doesn’t really matter if he’s going down slightly considering Zouma gets nowhere near the ball. That’s a penalty 99/100!

FatTails

First Ronaldo one is in the category of “I’ve seen them given before” and IMO should’ve at least been reviewed by Atkinson.

Second was not a pen.

The third one was a stonewall penalty and the fact that Atkinson didn’t bother to take another look is astounding.

RORY65

The first one I can sort of get not giving, it looked like Ronaldo initiated the contact from one angle but looked like a penalty from the other, but the Zouma one in added time is just clearly a penalty even if you can argue that Ronaldo is already going down, that's in part due to the hand in his back and that still doesn't allow a defender to slide in and catch him without being near the ball.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Defender slaps his back and slides in not getting the ball. Defo pen
Under how they're told to view penalties this season the contact is supposed to justify the fall though. The slap on the back didn't cause him to fall like that so it would have to be the legs, I think. Looking at it I can't tell if he was already going down before there was contact in that regard.

Red_Aaron

The first one is given more often than not, though I think it's absolutely something Ronaldo was looking for. I could just about swallow not getting it.

The zouma one at the end is nailed on and a complete nonsense that it was denied especially given that the Shaw pen (correctly awarded) doesn't happen if this pen is given as it should have been.

Ref was all over the shop the whole game

Ace of Spades

Two pens. The fact that they were not even reviewed is infuriating. The feck is the point of VAR ??

Alek M

Da manic one
No. Especially that last one. Ronaldo was falling way to early when the contact happened. He was trying to buy it for sure.

K Stand Knut

Two for both challenges on Ronaldo.

The Coufal one was almost identical to the challenge on Zouma by Pogba that he had literally given a FK for a few minutes before.

Ref was really poor today

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The lack of talk about the incidents from the sky pundits is astounding. Can you imagine the uproar if it’s the other way round? Just moved swiftly on to the spurs game.
You get it from ABUs too.

They won't for a second mention such things in games we've won.

But if it's a tight game and something goes for us, then you never hear the end of it.

FattyFooty

Disgusting.

I really felt VAR / REF really tried there best to make us loose this game.

Bobski

The more I watch them, the first one looks more like a pen.

Both would have been given last season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Under how they're told to view penalties this season the contact is supposed to justify the fall though. The slap on the back didn't cause him to fall like that so it would have to be the legs, I think. Looking at it I can't tell if he was already going down before there was contact in that regard.
Is that correct? They only ask the ref to review if they deem the player wasn't going down before contact? Would be a foul in the centre circle. That's how it really should be looked at

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No. Especially that last one. Ronaldo was falling way to early when the contact happened. He was trying to buy it for sure.
You see, I thought the Walker one yesterday wasn't one for this reason, as their man was stretching and falling before Walker entered the picture.

But Ronaldo had the ball, had beaten Zouma, and he's lunged in, not got near the ball and helped fell Ronaldo.

laughtersassassin

We stopped getting decisions after Klopp and Lampard moaned about it for weeks last season.

Ole needs to call it out now. He had a few little digs after the game about it but it straight up needs addressing now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agree with the lot who say the first is debatable but for me, when the Pogba foul on Zouma was given as a foul, then this had to be a penalty. In fact in Ronaldo's case there is more contact.
The last one was as clear a penalty as could be. Heard some ref saying it wasn't given as Ronaldo was already going down. Doesn't matter if he was because there was absolutely clear full on contact.
The Pogba on Zouma one wasa strange one, as it looked to be given for the potential of Pogba fouling him, when he's actually totally pulled out, and Zouma's just jumped over him without any touch.

Bizarre.

The Ronaldo last min one was nothing like that as Zouma did take him out.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ref has to be held accountable. Two penalties for me and none given. Absolute bollix.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We stopped getting decisions after Klopp and Lampard moaned about it for weeks last season.

Ole needs to call it out now. He had a few little digs after the game about it but it straight up needs addressing now.
Missed the interview as my internet slowed and main event went to Chelsea.
What did he say?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It doesn’t really matter if he’s going down slightly considering Zouma gets nowhere near the ball. That’s a penalty 99/100!
Pretty sure it does matter. The referees were told at the start of the season that contact alone isn't a penalty and it has to be enough to justify the player going down. In other words players who initiate or exaggerate contact weren't supposed to be awarded while those who tried to stay on their feet would be.

If Ronaldo was going down before there was contact (and I'm finding it hard to tell even on replays) then that would possibly have skewed the decision against him.

But I dunno.

kiristao

The Pogba on Zouma one wasa strange one, as it looked to be given for the potential of Pogba fouling him, when he's actually totally pulled out, and Zouma's just jumped over him without any touch.

Bizarre.

I was comparing the Coufal (I think it was) on Ronaldo one that was similar to the Pogba on Zouma one.
The Zouma on Ronaldo was a clear one for me.

MichaelRed

I like how if it's any other team that has a player running and someone sticks out a leg and trips them it's called a trip. When it's our player that gets tripped up all of a sudden it's "he ran into the defenders leg", like, no shit he ran into the defenders leg when the defender stuck it in his path mid-run. Clowns.

laughtersassassin

Missed the interview as my internet slowed and main event went to Chelsea.
What did he say?
That we should have had two penalties. And that he hopes it's not a case that refs have decided Ronaldo isn't getting penalties.

Which is fairly direct to be fair to him but at this stage in concerned that we have clearly stopped getting a lot of decisions at all

Our things don't even get VAR reviewed in the monitor anymore.

The Bruno Foul against Southampton, these penalties and Greenwood had a handball a game or two ago like Shaw's one but for us it's not even looked at.

RUCK4444

Two stone wall in my opinion.

How anybody could say we didn’t deserve a single penalty I think is mental.

You will see penalties given for these EXACT challenges all season. If not then apparently defenders are now apparently permitted to throw a leg out or dive across players without remotely getting a touch of the ball and not worry about conceding a penalty.

RaptorSlo

The problem is Ronaldo diving into challenges before any contact. Though the last challenge was dangerous, I can see the no contact no foul reasoning.

Except, he didn't. Ronaldo dived over the challenge.