Did we deserve a penalty in that game?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'm going to disagree, not saying you're right or wrong. Just from my opinion, I think Ronaldo was more so looking for the contact as much as possible and arched the run slightly.
So what ? Strikers having been looking to get fouled for ages now.

Whats next ? Strikers shouldn't dribble inside the box because they're looking to get fouled ? Why dribble when you can shoot!

Its a foul all day long and therefore a penalty.

ManUnitedCanuck

What was really nuts about the last one on Zouma is that they finished their review in like a second. Keeper was playing the ball immediately and it was OK check over play on. There is absolutely no way that check is that quick on that foul.

Unless your an ABU or Ronaldo hater, watching that live and seeing the replay, you went ah that’s a pen.

RedDevil@84

I don't see the purpose of VAR, if the screen ref is just going to say Yes to anything on field ref says.

Red00012

Honestly I thought the Zouma was a stonewall and the other not penalties.

But after watching them back the first was also stonewall. There knees clash together and again the defender got now if the ball

They tried to rob us today.
I was of the opinion that the last one was a stonewall the others weren’t . Now after watching them a few times the last one isn’t but the Soufal one is.

RUCK4444

The first one was the stone wall one for me, said that earlier, MOTD seem to agree as well.

It’s just a stone wall penalty, sticks a leg out after getting done and catches the player and none of the ball.

I can laugh now but if not for De Gea I would be absolutely bouncing with rage.

Eddy_JukeZ

Is it weird I think the third one probably wasn’t a pen and the first one definitely was?
I think the 1st one is a stonewall pen too.

I don't understand how it wasn't even looked at all. I think the 3rd one was a pen too though.

Bertie Wooster

Unless the foul incident by AWB was offside then I think both sides had strong calls for 2 penalties.

The first and third fouls on Ronaldo were definite penalties. Shaw's handball, under the rules, was a definite pen - although if that had been given to us in the 95th minute I wouldn't put it past certain media to try to spin the narrative that it was kicked at his arm at point blank range... etc. And AWB seemed to me to commit the foul, so only an offside should have prevented that from being a pen.

So a very poor performance from the officials - on the field and VAR. But a great result for Ole and the lads.

Real Name

Anyone has videos of all 3 incidents?
First one was similar to Sterling one vs Denmark, Ronaldo looked for contact and made it when he saw the leg (or so it seems to me) , the 3rd one Zouma fouled him and was nowhere near the ball.

SungSam7

So what ? Strikers having been looking to get fouled for ages now.

Whats next ? Strikers shouldn't dribble inside the box because they're looking to get fouled ? Why dribble when you can shoot!

Its a foul all day long and therefore a penalty.
I somewhat feel if an opposing striker did that to Varane or Maguire, you would want the refs head on a plate if the decision was given. It was not a penalty, you are twisting my words! The defender pulled his leg back and Ronaldo changed his direction slightly to force the contact. That is NOT a foul, you can cry till the cows come home but it is what it is. Take off the tinted glasses.

cyberman

Anyone has videos of all 3 incidents?
First one was similar to Sterling one vs Denmark, Ronaldo looked for contact and made it when he saw the leg (or so it seems to me) , the 3rd one Zouma fouled him and was nowhere near the ball.
Ronaldo didn’t really look for it, he literally ran straight ahead? If the defender doesn’t stick out a leg would Ronaldo go in any other direction than straight to the ball?
That’s on the defender, Ronaldo doesn’t have to get out of the way. The same way Shaws arm shouldn’t be out where it was. It’s the same principle

Real Name

Ronaldo didn’t really look for it, he literally ran straight ahead? If the defender doesn’t stick out a leg would Ronaldo go in any other direction than straight to the ball?
That’s on the defender, Ronaldo doesn’t have to get out of the way. The same way Shaws arm shouldn’t be out where it was. It’s the same principle
Yeah, makes sense, would like to see that incident again.

Siorac

Is it weird I think the third one probably wasn’t a pen and the first one definitely was?
Yes, very weird. I can't imagine how anyone with a pair of functioning eyes and a rudimentary knowledge of football can say the third one wasn't a penalty. It should be in refereeing handbooks to demonstrate a typical foul that results in a penalty. It was so obvious that Flat Earthers might be a little embarrassed to deny it.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes, very weird. I can't imagine how anyone with a pair of functioning eyes and a rudimentary knowledge of football can say the third one wasn't a penalty. It should be in refereeing handbooks to demonstrate a typical foul that results in a penalty. It was so obvious that Flat Earthers might be a little embarrassed to deny it.
:lol: Don't hold back mate!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, we did.

Didn't need any, though, as it turned out.

Liked how Ole commented on it post-match, though. That was Fergie-ish.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The one where Ronnie was tackled and the defender tripped him and completely missed the ball was a 200% pen. VAR not stepping in was criminal.

But the other (2?) potential pens were as debateable as Shaw's imo. Either give all 3 or don't.

I hope Twatkinson donates his brain to science.

0le

The main issue here is that VAR will only overturn "clear and obvious" refereeing error, but penalties almost never meet that criteria.

If VAR had any doubt about the decision, they should instruct the referee to look at a replay, but leave the final decision to them. Referees would then need to have the courage to either overturn or stick with the original decision.

Oranges038

1st. Yes, hands up leg out. Standard defender "I was trying to get out of the way" move. Still a pelanty.
2nd. No, nothing in it, he wasn't getting the ball anyway
3rd. No. He's on his way down before the contact, that's why it's not been given.

As always with these, it's a case of seen them given on another day.

Found this vid on youtube for anyone that wants another look.

Marcus

Is the argument going to be wheed out that Ronaldo is so fast and world class, no one actually has any "intention" to foul him, they try to get the ball and and get him instead, so no penalty? Ridiculous.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Atkinson was shite.

He initially missed their pen and he somehow gave a free kick against Soucek when AWB piled through the back of him.

Ronaldo should’ve had 1, probably 2 pens.

rpg

I have watched EPL long enough to surmise that Atkinson favored Chelsea. And we miss Howard Webb in games like this.

RedDevil@84

I have watched EPL long enough to surmise that Atkinson favored Chelsea. And we miss Howard Webb in games like this.
Howard Webb, before all the talk about being the 12th man for United got into his head, is missed. After that he became the ref version of Gary Neville

Red_Aaron

Former ref Dermot Gallagher thinks the first is a pen but the third isn't (on account of Ronaldo already being on the way down)

He also thinks the AWB/soucek was a pen

Yesterday I thought only the third incident was but the more I look at them I think both first and third were pens. The whole 'he was on the way down' argument falls apart when you consider fouls like the one given against pogba. Zouma flies off his feet and gets none of the ball, it's entirely natural to anticipate the contact. Were it not for the attempted challenge Ronaldo gets a shot away so either way you look at it he's impeded by zoumas action.

Nonsense decisions that are wholly a result of the recipient being Ronaldo. We're gonna suffer it all season I'm afraid

ti vu

At least one. Both should be when you see how often these kind of contact has been given by VAR