Diego Maradona 2019 film

Zoo

For people in the UK this is on Channel 4 tomorrow night at 9pm.

Definitely worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

stu_1992

Saw this in a cinema when it came out. Thought it was really good. Highly recommended.

stu_1992

Is it made similar to the Sir Matt Busby film?
Haven't seen that, but if you've seen the Senna documentary (F1 driver for those that don't know) this is made by the same people and in the same sort of style. Though the 2 subjects could not be more different really.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Been waiting to see this for ages. Loved Senna. Amy Winehouse docu was good too. Heard great things about this one.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I always find it funny when people use the argument of Maradona being better than Messi due to winning the WC. Maradona only won it because he was a dirty rotten cheat. If Messi cheated in the final vs Germany then he would have won it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thanks @Zoo been wanting to watch this for a while. Along with Pele the greatest player of all time.

Deery

Dreary
Anybody watching this great player such beauty in his feet..

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is a great watch.

DRM

Saw this earlier this year, grest movie. The way the Italians turned on him after he scored against them in the 1990 WC was pathetic really. I mean, what was he supposed to do, deliberately miss his penalty?!

Zoo

Watching this again, the footage is cracking.

RedDevilUnited369

Amazing impact at Napoli. Took them from relegation fodder to title and European title winners.

And of course the WC and he was amazing at that WC despite the hand of god incident.

I wanna know...where was VAR! Huh????!!!!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Haven't seen that, but if you've seen the Senna documentary (F1 driver for those that don't know) this is made by the same people and in the same sort of style. Though the 2 subjects could not be more different really.
i.e. Americans. ;)

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I would have liked to have seen some more backstory to his rise of fame with Boca and the hoo-ha around the 1978 World Cup. I feel like we didn't quite get a full picture of Diego Maradona as Asif Kapadia focused more on the narrative of the rise and fall of a God in Naples. When did he parents pass away ? Would have hoped his Father and Mother could have steered him in the right path. And was the UEFA Cup a big deal back then ? What happened to Napoli in the European Cup ?

Deery

Dreary
Great watch, kinda wished they showed more football of him but it was amazing to see him take Napoli from the “great unwashed”, to two league titles and a UEFA cup.
His life story too was amazing, camera’s followed him everywhere, better than Messi for me so much expected of him and he delivered.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Really enjoyed this. Bit of a random question I have from watching this but I don't recall there ever being a reference to who was manager of Napoli when they won those Scudetto's ( a quick google reveals it to be chap called Ottavio Bianchi). There were loads of moments with Maradona and the president, but non I can recall with the manager. I appreciate it perhaps didn't take a tactical genius to manage a team led by Maradona, but was the manager not really considered pivotal to a teams/players fortunes back then?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I guess the film was really long as is, they could have expanded on his early Boca years, 1978, 1982 and Barcelona but then you are looking at a few more hours. Maybe they could have made it into a series.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
That amount of fame is a poison in itself. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The ending interview he did on the talk show was really touching and it's so disheartening that he still gives in to his demons.

VP

Is this on any of the streaming platforms yet? Prime, Netflix etc?

Champagne Football

I would have liked to have seen some more backstory to his rise of fame with Boca and the hoo-ha around the 1978 World Cup. I feel like we didn't quite get a full picture of Diego Maradona as Asif Kapadia focused more on the narrative of the rise and fall of a God in Naples. When did he parents pass away ? Would have hoped his Father and Mother could have steered him in the right path. And was the UEFA Cup a big deal back then ? What happened to Napoli in the European Cup ?
I would agree, although his fall should be a lesson to all young footballers today as to how it can change quickly into a nightmare life if a player has won it all, and replaces the winning hunger with party hunger.

Napoli refused to sell him even when he begged them to sell him when he had all the problems, as their thinking was Diego turning up after a 48 hour coke binge still wins us most games, and that was the wrong way to deal with his severe issues.

But I'd have loved to see more of his teenage footage and Boca footage, and know his character by those he hung out with in his Boca days and Barca too.

Josh 76

The purpose of the film was his years in Italy. There are numerous documentaries of Maradona in his younger days. I thought this documentary was awesome. I've never seen some of the footage shown last night.

The UEFA cup was aruguably harder to win than the European cup back then. Only the champions qualified for the European Cup back then. (Less teams in the competition) The teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and I think maybe 4th all qualified for the UEFA cup.

Napoli qualified only twice for the European Cup in that era. 1987-88 and 1990-91. It was a straight knockout in 87-88 and no seeding. Napoli lost to Real Madrid in the first round that year and by 1991, Napoli and Maradona were done by then.

Regarding the 1978 world cup, the manager basically bottled it and didn't pick a young Maradona and went for experience. Maradona was pissed off and never forgave them for that. But as Argentina won the world cup that year, a big deal wasn't made. Had they lost, I'm sure it would have been. The following year Maradona won the youth world cup more a less on this own to prove his point.

There has always been a debate who was better, Messi or Maradona. The way I look at it, put Messi in Maradonas era and Maradona in Messi era. Messi would have drowned, Maradona would fly.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The purpose of the film was his years in Italy. There are numerous documentaries of Maradona in his younger days. I thought this documentary was awesome. I've never seen some of the footage shown last night.

The UEFA cup was aruguably harder to win than the European cup back then. Only the champions qualified for the European Cup back then. (Less teams in the competition) The teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and I think maybe 4th all qualified for the UEFA cup.

Napoli qualified only twice for the European Cup in that era. 1987-88 and 1990-91. It was a straight knockout in 87-88 and no seeding. Napoli lost to Real Madrid in the first round that year and by 1991, Napoli and Maradona were done by then.

Regarding the 1978 world cup, the manager basically bottled it and didn't pick a young Maradona and went for experience. Maradona was pissed off and never forgave them for that. But as Argentina won the world cup that year, a big deal wasn't made. Had they lost, I'm sure it would have been. The following year Maradona won the youth world cup more a less on this own to prove his point.

There has always been a debate who was better, Messi or Maradona. The way I look at it, put Messi in Maradonas era and Maradona in Messi era. Messi would have drowned, Maradona would fly.
Just so hard to compare really.
Maradona played at a time of less than great pitches and had hatchet men kicking him to bits.

Italy was also so tight defensively. Was shocked to see him top the goal charts with a mere 15 goals.
When people go off just stats that's totally unfair as maradona in the Barcelona teams Messi played in would have absolutely filled his boots.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Let's not derail the thread about a great film, we know how passionate fans of the other guy can get (not that I disagree with anything you guys have said) .

Josh 76

Just so hard to compare really.
Maradona played at a time of less than great pitches and had hatchet men kicking him to bits.

Italy was also so tight defensively. Was shocked to see him top the goal charts with a mere 15 goals.
When people go off just stats that's totally unfair as maradona in the Barcelona teams Messi played in would have absolutely filled his boots.
Why were you shocked with his 15 goals topping the goal charts. ?
The so called greatest British striker in the 80s barley got into double figures in the Italian league.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Enjoyed watching it last night.

I agree some more on his Barca spell and even early years playing for Boca would've been interesting so certainly could've worked as 4-5 part series.

Wonder if his personal history would've played out differently if he'd left Napoli in 1988 as he wanted to? Would've got him away from the Camorra but probably too far down the Maradona path as his personal trainer said in the film.

Parma Dewol

Thought it was a good watch. So much more they could have included, but what was there was fascinating. Would have loved to have seen more of him playing/training; I don't think there's ever been a player as watchable as him. Truly majestic with the ball.

On a side note, watching it on Channel 4's catch-up service was absolutely horrible. Adverts every 15 minutes or so, and quite often the same ones! Have gotten so used to newer streaming services I'd forgotten how poor regular tele can be. Deleted the C4 app and won't be watching anything on there again anytime soon.

Josh 76

Enjoyed watching it last night.

I agree some more on his Barca spell and even early years playing for Boca would've been interesting so certainly could've worked as 4-5 part series.

Wonder if his personal history would've played out differently if he'd left Napoli in 1988 as he wanted to? Would've got him away from the Camorra but probably too far down the Maradona path as his personal trainer said in the film.
Good point about how his career would have panned out If he left in 1988.
That was the era of Italian domination so not sure what options he would have had. He wanted out of Italy.

No English teams were in Europe and no one would have taken a risk on him so soon after the hand of God

Baracalona would never have touched him and not sure if Real Madrid would have gone there either.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was the era of Italian domination so not sure what options he would have had. He wanted out of Italy.

No English teams were in Europe and no one would have taken a risk on him so soon after the hand of God

Baracalona would never have touched him and not sure if Real Madrid would have gone there either.
Could've I guess gone back to Boca and played for a bit. Played final two seasons of his career.

Guess his season at Sevilla was equivilant of Bastian Schweinsteiger at Man. United.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could've I guess gone back to Boca and played for a bit. Played final two seasons of his career.

Guess his season at Sevilla was equivilant of Bastian Schweinsteiger at Man. United.
Always wondered how he was at Sevilla. Found this video about it

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

It's an interesting question. There was a lot more balance between the leagues then so he could have ended up anywhere really. Marseille were really pushing on with an egotistical president so I suspect they'd have been at the front of the queue. Back to Spain or even Portugal would have been an option, and it's mouth-watering to imagine him behind Hugo Sanchez at the Bernabeu. Bayern were coming back to the top then but they may have been less keen on the circus. The only British side I could see approaching him would have been Rangers who were buying up most of the best English talent. But fundamentally I think his personality and style would be a poor fit to the northern European countries.