Diego Maradona 2019 film

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"You see, I started with nothing. The only thing I was given were two feet from God that could put a ball wherever I wanted. Even then, he also gave me some addictions and stupidity. But I worked hard all my life for this. Those who say I don't deserve anything, that it all came easy, can kiss my arse."

(Diego Maradona)

kirk buttercup

Great film . The fight he was involved in At Barca I don't remember. I have never seen that before. Unbelievable

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Its up on his wiki. Absolutely unbelievable stuff. Copa del Rey final, 100,000 people in the stadium, half of Spains population watching on tv. Maradona finally has enough of the rough tactics from Bilbao and he snaps. 60 people are injured as a result of the brawl and I'm not surprised that was his last game and Barca sold I'm guessing due to pressure of backlash if they had kept him.

Inter Yer Nan

If this is the one that was on HBO last year, then it was excellent. I think you can argue that his run where he won the world cup, a couple serie a titles, a coppa italia and uefa cup is the finest ever by an individual.

Sweet Square

For those that liked the film it's well worth checking out the rest of Asif Kapadia films. Both Senna and Amy are equal as good if not better(Senna is true masterpiece of film making imo)

Josh 76

Always wondered how he was at Sevilla. Found this video about it

Thanks for this.
This chapter of Maradonas life is not really mentioned. Just adds to his legendary status.
And as we all know.....the drama of the 1994 World Cup was still to come.
What a guy!

Josh 76

It's an interesting question. There was a lot more balance between the leagues then so he could have ended up anywhere really. Marseille were really pushing on with an egotistical president so I suspect they'd have been at the front of the queue. Back to Spain or even Portugal would have been an option, and it's mouth-watering to imagine him behind Hugo Sanchez at the Bernabeu. Bayern were coming back to the top then but they may have been less keen on the circus. The only British side I could see approaching him would have been Rangers who were buying up most of the best English talent. But fundamentally I think his personality and style would be a poor fit to the northern European countries.
I know it sounds silly nowadays, but Glasgow Rangers would have been a great fit for Maradona. Rangers had some big players and were a CL quarterfinal team. I'm sure Maradona would have won them the European Cup.
Also he was loved so much by the Scots after what he did to England in Mexico 86.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I may need better context to his career at Boca but it doesn't seem that impressive? I used to be surprised back when Diego and Riquelme first feuded and Boca fans mainly sided with Riquelme. But Riquelme seems the bigger Boca legend.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Unfortunately I wasn't born when he was doing his thing but my dad maintains that Maradona was the most fun player he's ever watched. To this day he's in awe of Maradona.

For those who've watched him live year in year out, what was he like?

I've seen his clips obviously and the technique is just ridicilous. Pulls balls out of the air like it's nothing, magnificent dribbles and passing. But it must have felt different to see it live.

InEvolutionWeTrust

Supports
Liverpool FC
For anyone who wants some insight into how the film was put together, go to YouTube > The Anfield Wrap channel > Asif Kapadia | One on One.
It is probably only fair to warn some of you that it comes wrapped in a love for Liverpool FC (start it at 7:56 to bypass the LFC-centric introduction) but if you can put that to one side, I genuinely think you'll find it interesting. (Unfortunately I cannot post media links directly on here.)

Josh 76

Unfortunately I wasn't born when he was doing his thing but my dad maintains that Maradona was the most fun player he's ever watched. To this day he's in awe of Maradona.

For those who've watched him live year in year out, what was he like?

I've seen his clips obviously and the technique is just ridicilous. Pulls balls out of the air like it's nothing, magnificent dribbles and passing. But it must have felt different to see it live.
Watching him live every year was almost impossible for people living in the UK as European league football was a never shown on tv.
This was the case with most players. That's why the world cup was so eagerly awaited.
You got to see the best players in the world every four years.
Imagine seeing Messi and Ronaldo only every 4 years with no coverage what's so ever with there goals and performances in the league or champions league. There was no internet either so you couldn't Google any footage either.
Seemed a different world, but I'm glad I lived through that era. It was golden!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Never thought about it like that. Would you only have heard of the likes of Pele and Di Stefano through the grapevine and hearsay then. These players must have had a air of mythicality.

Josh 76

Never thought about it like that. Would you only have heard of the likes of Pele and Di Stefano through the grapevine and hearsay then. These players must have had a air of mythicality.
Exactly.