Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
True on both counts but if you are a top level sportsman you always back yourself to win surely?

1. I'm not English and I'm not inundated in Anglophone media. Why don't you try asking the average person or even a serious football fan born after 1990 what they think of when they hear the name Diego Maradona. I suspect the answer will be "football", "hand of God", "goal of the century" "world cup Mexico" or some combination of all those things.

2. Why is it ridiculous to compare it to what Suarez did? He also tried to get an unfair advantage, succeeded and got as far as a semi-final.
So so weird.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
True on both counts but if you are a top level sportsman you always back yourself to win surely?

1. I'm not English and I'm not inundated in Anglophone media. Why don't you try asking the average person or even a serious football fan born after 1990 what they think of when they hear the name Diego Maradona. I suspect the answer will be "football", "hand of God", "goal of the century" "world cup Mexico" or some combination of all those things.

2. Why is it ridiculous to compare it to what Suarez did? He also tried to get an unfair advantage, succeeded and got as far as a semi-final.
Regarding Suarez, there’s a couple of ways to view it. There’s an argument that it would have been unfair on Uruguay as there’s a possible offside in that same action. I’ve briefly looked at it again and depending on who got the last touch, the Ghana player is offside.

Plus Suarez got punished for his crime. Gyan bottled the penalty and Uruguay were blunted in the semi final without Suarez and ended up 4th.

Now if the offside is given, Suarez stays on the pitch and maybe Uruguay go through and beat the Netherlands with Suarez.

MikeeMike

Let midget get the better off him. His own fault really.
I get abuse when this topic comes up. Forget the hand. What a monumental cop out from Shilton. 6ft keeper vs 5ft 4 . Shilton should have commited and would have easily punched that ball away.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
His first ever international goal coming at Hampden in Glasgow-love it!! The very greatest player the world has ever seen!!

Fingeredmouse

I can't remember who said it - might have been Lineker himself - but it was something along the lines of "yes the first one was not a goal but the second was worth two so there you go" which is a nice way of dealing with losing a knockout game.

Yes, I know you're not English because you alluded to the fact in your post. I have no idea what media you have access to but you do post on a Man Utd forum.

You think the average person born after 1999 even knows that the World Cup was in Mexico 34 years ago?

I suppose it is not ridiculous to compare him to Suarez if you only think of players based on handball incidents. I assume you consider Jordan, Henry, Suarez and Diego to be similar players.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I watched the whole of his career and saw him live a couple times, best ever in my opinion. Would have been interesting to see Messi and Maradona swap era's as I believe they would have achieved similar results to one another.

I don't judge my sporting heroes on their moral compass as it would ruin their legacy for me. I love all sports and want to enjoy their talent and the thrill it gives me, whether they go home and stick cocaine up their nose or have numerous affairs is totally irrelevant. Our two biggest idols in Best and Giggs wouldn't meet a morality test, that's for sure.
We can see that with Argentina. It's not even close.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I remember footballs back from 25 odd years ago. Not proper ones they used for professional football but black and white ones you could buy. They were like a medicine ball in hindsight. :lol:
I tried to find a picture of that ball, but unfortunatelly did not found any similar. They were official match balls all over PT on the late 80s to middle 90s, hard as bloody rocks, a bit like a medicine ball when in full speed like you said. A good football ball were quite expensive when compared to living cost. Nowadays with 30€ you already get a decent one in any sports shop.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I get abuse when this topic comes up. Forget the hand. What a monumental cop out from Shilton. 6ft keeper vs 5ft 4 . Shilton should have commited and would have easily punched that ball away.
Shilton was much further away from the ball than Maradona was.

He's not expecting him to handle it.
He's not expecting Fenwick to boot that idiotic ball into the danger area.
And there were some pitiful attempts at challenges earlier too.

Blame the ref for missing a foul about 5secs before Maradona picked the ball up too.

Stacks

I didn't feel sad about his death because he lived his life the way he preferred. He had great impact on the world and lived as a Legend. He no doubt had a lot of fun and was revered as a Godlike figure.

His death is a celebration of his life

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I see this thread has finally gone the expected way.

My 2p, best player in my lifetime and feel privileged to have watched him live.

That WC remains the best I've seen by some distance. Packed with superb sides sporting some of their countries' best ever players (or thereabouts). Pick any one side and there will be one of their all-time superstars in it. It was mouthwatering stuff, clash of titans... but at the end there was one left comfortably standing head and shoulders over them all. El Diego.

Lived life to the full? I think he threw it all away really. Saw him at parties mid to late 90s a few times, didn't look to me like a happy guy enjoying himself but a downright miserable and tortured soul. Outside a pitch he was lost really.

Shame. We all got far more from him than he ever truly got back and I mourn but also pity him for that.
What struck me from the Maradona film was when they were returning to Beunos Aires and he was basically trembling with fear. May have been part induced by drug-comedown-paranoia, but he just seemed imprisoned by the mania around him.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is there a video of the fouls committed on Maradona in that game?

MikeeMike

Shilton was much further away from the ball than Maradona was.

He's not expecting him to handle it.
He's not expecting Fenwick to boot that idiotic ball into the danger area.
And there were some pitiful attempts at challenges earlier too.

Blame the ref for missing a foul about 5secs before Maradona picked the ball up too.
Yup. He’s not expecting. Thats why he didn’t commit. Should have got to that ball first. In my opinion of course.
Also, if that had been and England player who did that we’d all be celebrating. Double standards

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Of course Maradona cheated in that first goal, that is undeniable, what is deniable is the premise that without that goal, England would have won the game.

Is like saying that Germany would have won the 1966 world cup final, had the phantom goal been disallowed

both statements are false

argentina was better that england in 1986
england was better than germany in 1966

most likely is that the winner of both games would not have changed

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Of course Maradona cheated in that first goal, that is undeniable, what is deniable is the premise that without that goal, England would have won the game.

Is like saying that Germany would have won the 1966 world cup final, had the phantom goal been disallowed

Why was England much better than Germany in 1966?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In truth I had no idea his drinking was that bad that withdrawal left him at risk of fatal cardiac issues. Joins a growing roster of football geniuses in that respect, Best, Garrincha, etc
Garrincha is held in higher regard than Pele to a lot of Brazilians

Inigo Montoya

England wouldn't have beaten Germany in the final either in 86. They were a bloody good team. Took an inspired Argentina to beat them as Maradona was nowhere near 100% fit after the batterings he took

Inigo Montoya

Why was England much better than Germany in 1966?
We had the best midfielder in the world in Bobby Charlton- undeniable. He won the FIFA player of the year.

Bobby Moore was an outstanding defender and one of the best of the tournament. We had the best GK in Banks. Added to that were a number of players who really were outstanding in their positions: Hurst( who was included at the expense of Greaves) Peters, Stiles and a young Alan Ball whose energy was limitless.

West Germany were a good side but yet to hit their peak. BeckenBauer was such a gifted player but developed into a GOAT after 1970. Gerd Muller was only a kid and they later added some incredible players like Breitner, Maier,Bonhoff and Hoeness

John Keiler

I didn't feel sad about his death because he lived his life the way he preferred. He had great impact on the world and lived as a Legend. He no doubt had a lot of fun and was revered as a Godlike figure.

His death is a celebration of his life
Having worked in Intensive Care Units and cared for patients similar to him, I can assure you that his death would not have been a celebration. Total organ failure is not a pretty sight, believe me.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm English and don't care about the handball for these reasons.

1) It was 34 years ago.
2) Even if ruled out, there is more chance Argentina would have won. And England certainly would not have beaten West Germany in the final. News flash, England were not that good back then and had just as much difficulty beating the elite sides as they do now.
3) I've just watched the highlights of this game and earlier in the match an England player hits him in the face. That could have easily been a red card. Even back then.
4) 99% of footballers would have done what he did and carried on celebrating. If they could have done it, they would. Incidents like Paolo Di Canio are extremely rare. Footballers cheat all the time, weather it's something like diving or as minor as claiming a corner kick when they know it wasn't. To put it another way, if in that game, Shilton saw the ball cross his line but he pulled it back and no goal was given. What do you think he would have done? Been honest and told the officials? Of course, not.
5) It was 34 years ago.

Withnail

I didn't look into how he died to be fair. Total organ failure? sheesh. How did that happen
I don't know what that bloke is smoking.

According to reports Maradona died of a heart attack in his sleep, not total organ failure. He had a history of heart problems, stemming from his cocaine abuse.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Maradona is the person English people think Gazza is.

Imagine Maradona and Best playing now?

Better conditions on the pitch, and easier access to psychological help... I wonder the impact that would have had on those two?

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
We had the best midfielder in the world in Bobby Charlton- undeniable. He won the FIFA player of the year.

Bobby Moore was an outstanding defender and one of the best of the tournament. We had the best GK in Banks. Added to that were a number of players who really were outstanding in their positions: Hurst( who was included at the expense of Greaves) Peters, Stiles and a young Alan Ball whose energy was limitless.

West Germany were a good side but yet to hit their peak. BeckenBauer was such a gifted player but developed into a GOAT after 1970. Gerd Muller was only a kid and they later added some incredible players like Breitner, Maier,Bonhoff and Hoeness
The result was 2-2 and the goal came in extra-time. It doesn't matter who had the better team, it is impossible to say what would of happened if the goal was not counted.
The same way it's impossible to say who would have won in 1986, if the "hand of god" wasn't counted.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maradona was the best player football had ever seen. He defied logic. A 5ft5 tall midfielder, with the physique of Papa Smurf and despite suffering a career threatening injury, the Argentinian legend could dribble past any defence and single handily win games. He did so at the height of the catenaccio system when football was blessed with way better defenders then today and when players were far more physical then they are now. Top top strikers like Rummenigge, Platini, Vialli and co would score 12-13 goals in such environment. Maradona could score as much or even more despite playing in a deeper role. That's how ridiculously good the man was.

El Pibe de Oro's biggest enemy was always himself. The fact that the two most troubled football geniuses would die on the same day. Good bye Diego, thanks for the memories.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maradona is the person English people think Gazza is.

Imagine Maradona and Best playing now?

Better conditions on the pitch, and easier access to psychological help... I wonder the impact that would have had on those two?
Comparing Maradona to Gazza is like comparing Paul Scholes to Phil Nev

jackal&hyde

I have a bit of a contradiction of emotions tbh. I never respected the man himself, the life style, drugs, connections to the Napolitan MAFIA, considering cheating as part of the game; you could make a tutorial based on this man called "don't be this way".

At the same time, he loved football like no one else, his Country loved him like no other Country has ever loved a player, and he is by far my second favorite player ever after George Best. Crazy, broken and a bad example to many as what to do when you make it in life, but also an inspiration.

Maybe the best description is the one that applies to most people of genius no matter the filed: deeply flawed, but the good parts, they make it all worth it.

Rest in peace great Diego! no body is perfect, but at least in one area of you life, you were close; that is more that can be said about most of us.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Guys who 'wont will never forgive him', call him out for having a troublesome life (I wonder who is their favorite footballer, maybe some saint) or tell others to give it a rest with emotional stuff are just seeking for attention. Dont feed them, leave them be to live their miserable lives.

Why do we watch football other than being too emotional over it sometimes, crazily happy or incredibly sad. Something its a bit pathetic but thats what football is about, emotions and big drama, it isnt about just 'kicking a ball'. So I wonder what are people who think of it like that even doing here other than trying to act smart and like a some kind of moral experts.
Absolutely, Its those simple moments of magic that create memories that last forever, that pure moment of "what the feck did I just see" where nothing else is going on or on your mind, and you can just marvel at the outrageous.

Such an odd take on it - ain't it?

Most artists (music, literature, film) I like were the opposite of paragons of virtue. And many of them are/were - in fact - terrible people in one sense or another.

If you can't separate the human being from the artist, you're doing it wrong - in my opinion.

In Maradona's case there's also something else to consider: A lot of people in my generation do not mourn the passing of an individual human being (who was flawed in all sorts of ways) - but the passing of a (yes, romanticized - of course! That comes with the territory) figure who represented something far beyond his own person.

Precisely what he represented will be different from one man or woman to the next - but whatever it was (childhood hero worship, the football world of a bygone era, or something else), it's powerful: it means something. Which sums up...football (for a fan): a perfectly irrational devotion to something that is, essentially, a fantasy. A wonderful fantasy, I would add.
Spot on, For me, its that the genius came with such a self destructive streak, he lived his life on his terms, right up to the end, was adored by millions and hated by as many, and gave not a single feck, an example of how to live your life your way, whatever way that may be, and keep on to the end of the road
Only SAF is more important for me than Maradonna in football. Warm regards
Add His royal highness, King of Kings, destroyer of all that isnt Manchester United, Eric Cantona to that list and Im with you

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I didn't look into how he died to be fair. Total organ failure? sheesh. How did that happen
Guess what, death isn't pretty. Most die from horrible diseases etc. I don't know Maradona, personally. Obviously. But, I'm sure that if he had the chance to live his life again he'd live exact same way.

Stacks

I don't know what that bloke is smoking.

According to reports Maradona died of a heart attack in his sleep, not total organ failure. He had a history of heart problems, stemming from his cocaine abuse.
That's what I heard

Guess what, death isn't pretty. Most die from horrible diseases etc. I don't know Maradona, personally. Obviously. But, I'm sure that if he had the chance to live his life again he'd live exact same way.
That's kind of why I wasn't sad. He knows the consequences of this lifestyle and I kind of respect his choice.