Dimitar Berbatov | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
he's not allowed his views?
Some would say no, unless he says what they want to hear.

We should maybe compare United fans who are critical of the club, to parents. Who does the better job - parents who see no wrong in their kids, or parents who do? So only seeing the good in the club/team doesn't make someone the better supporter.

Not that we, as parents, can do anything about the child in this case, but Erica and MuM, will get my point, even if no one else does.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Are you asking me? I said, I think Fergie believes so
However:
Goals?- He scored more than Anelka, Arshavin or Gerrard. But some of you jizz in their pants whenever those others are mentioned
Performances?- He has been truly shit in a very few games- 2 or 3, usually when the rest of the team has stunk too. For the rest and whenever picked, he's been good and better
Vision?- Are you kidding me? Some of the best I have seen in my life. I am 37
Heading?- What kind of question is that? It's like asking how many did he score with his left foot and call that a failure. He needs to work on his mental strength, which affects his finishing.
Missing chances?- Again bollocks. He doesn't miss any more than any other striker. Look at his stats
Good post, Berba has performed better this season than last but a lot of his good work has gone unnoticed largely down to a few games in April especially the Bayern return leg, Blackburn and Chelsea games

Ixion

To be fair though Shevchenko at his best was better than Berbatov at his best. Shevchenko did go shitter quicker though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Name me 10, 30 million pound strikers that are poorer than Berbatove then I'll start supporting him again.

Have a go lads, I'll give you the biggest No.1 his name starts with an S
I really hope people come up with those 10 strikers because it would be a real blow for Berbatov if you didn't start supporting him again.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Name me 10, 30 million pound strikers that are poorer than Berbatove then I'll start supporting him again.

Have a go lads, I'll give you the biggest No.1 his name starts with an S
Well for starters there have only been about 12 (or 13 according to some sources regarding Mario Gomez's transfer to Bayern was it 30 or 35 mil Euros?) transfers equaling and/or exceeding the 30 mil pound mark. Of these all bar Gigi GBuffon have been attacking players. All things considered Shevchenko, Ibrahimovic, Robinho, arguably Kaka, Benzema and Gomez have all fared worse than the Bulgarian in their maiden seasons

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Good post, Berba has performed better this season than last but a lot of his good work has gone unnoticed largely down to a few games in April especially the Bayern return leg, Blackburn and Chelsea games
agreed, Berba was fecking wank last season and he still got the undesreved prise. Despite playing bit better this season he has been a scapegoat.

Name Changed

weso26
agreed, Berba was fecking wank last season and he still got the undesreved prise. Despite playing bit better this season he has been a scapegoat.
He has played better than last season, only slightly, but still absolutely nowhere near what is and what should be expected. Saying he was better than last season is hardly a compliment.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Berbatov hasn't been terrible this season, but for a £30m striker, he hasn't been very good, either, and he certainly hasn't justified his price tag in the two seasons that he's been at the club. Maybe it's slightly unfair for his price tag to influence people so much, because it isn't his fault that he cost that much. But it certainly isn't ours, either, and he's the only person who can really do anything about that.

Whether fair or not, price tag and past form create expectations in people, and when they are immeasurably unfulfilled, even for those who are most supportive, you have to expect criticism. He is a 29 year old International striker that has more ability than the overwhelming majority of players, so it should be unsurprising that a lot of fans are deeply disappointed in his performances in a United shirt, so far.

Name Changed

weso26
Berbatov hasn't been terrible this season, but for a £30m striker, he hasn't been very good, either, and he certainly hasn't justified his price tag in the two seasons that he's been at the club. Maybe it's slightly unfair for his price tag to influence people so much, because it isn't his fault that he cost that much. But it certainly isn't ours, either, and he's the only person who can really do anything about that.

Whether fair or not, price tag and past form create expectations in people, and when they are immeasurably unfulfilled, even for those who are most supportive, you have to expect criticism. He is a 29 year old International striker that has more ability than the overwhelming majority of players, so it should be unsurprising that a lot of fans are deeply disappointed in his performances in a United shirt, so far.
I would be of the opinion that regardless of his price tag, his performances overall have been nowhere near good enough. Only my opinion though...

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
I would be of the opinion that regardless of his price tag, his performances overall have been nowhere near good enough. Only my opinion though...
I agree, but his price tag just makes it worse, because you then realize what we could have done with that money. If any player of that age and standing had performed as poorly, they would have come in for criticism, no matter the price tag.

If he was much younger or he had little reputation, you could at least say that there is the potential for him to improve. But as it is, there's very few reasons that persuade you that he will improve, which is extremely worrying.

That doesn't mean that it won't happen, because it has before, but it makes you think that there is something that isn't easy to remedy at the heart of his poor performance, so far. And if it's mental, it might never happen.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He has played better than last season, only slightly, but still absolutely nowhere near what is and what should be expected. Saying he was better than last season is hardly a compliment.
i do agree with you, slightly is a key word.

however, i liked his pefromances this year better. he played further up the pitch, ran into the box sometimes. He was very frustrating last season.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout

I think that's basically the point.

He hasn't done badly at all, unless you throw in the price tag and the fact that he was bought to score goals. I assume that's why he was bought anyway. If not, why did we not either keep CT or buy a striker?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The fee may influence people but lets face it, Berba had not reached the levels of those who had worn the red shirt before him. I am not talking here about world class articles like Law or Cantona. I am talking here about strikers like Cole, Saha (when he was fit), Yorke (treble winning team) and Ole whom despite being great for United can hardly be considered as world class articles or at unrealistic level by any striker who signs with us.

Now the big question is this. Is it worth to keep a 29 year old striker who is rated 30m and who has around 60-100k a week salary when

a) he can't play as a lone striker
b) he is playing at a level that can be easily reached by strikers like Owen.

I mean its not that unrealistic to think that by giving them ample first team experience at least 1 of the young strikers available to us (Hernandez, Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck) would be able to perform at least at Berba's level. So what its the point of giving more time to a 29 year old striker (he is hardly old but he isn't exactly young) who does not have the skills we need (pace, workrate, goal scoring abilities) and who is being paid as an important first teamer when we can invest that in younger talent with the right characteristics to do the role/an experienced chap like Owen who is being paid a fragment of the salary given to Berba? Our forward line does not need more experience (we have Rooney and Owen) + we do not need a striker who needs time to adapt and become good (we have Hernandez, Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck who have time at their side). So if a decent offer comes in, what's the point in keeping Berba?

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I'd say he was between the mould of Saha and Forlan... Saha at top form was great... contributed a lot to our game, while Forlan was good once he got a consistent run.. but still didn't suit our style.

Berbs, doesn't suit our style and does contribute to our game but less than Saha so I'd say 7m < 30M < 12m

Just a funny comparison... but i mean in terms of contributing to our game play, Berbs isn't the answer for our free flowing attacking minded football.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Now the big question is this. Is it worth to keep a 29 year old striker who is rated 30m and who has around 60-100k a week salary when
That's clutching at straws mate, there have been a lot of overpaid players not performing to their full potential at the club and to single out Berba is just unfair. Recall Henrik Larsson? I don't think he came here to play for free in his brief spell at the club which yielded a grand total of 1 goal in 7 games. There are plenty more who are still currently at the club, hence the hefty wage bill, who it can be argued that they aren't earning their keep.

b) he is playing at a level that can be easily reached by strikers like Owen
I am sorry but that's just rubbish. The difference in quality between the two is like light and day. Don't let those occasional goal hauls cloud your judgement. Michael Owen is a poor footballer who should have been playing for the likes of Stoke City and NOT United.

I mean its not that unrealistic to think that by giving them ample first team experience at least 1 of the young strikers available to us (Hernandez, Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck) would be able to perform at least at Berba's level.
It is unrealistic and that's why SAF sent Welbeck on loan, Diouf to an extended run in the reserves, Macheda was injured for large portions of the season and Hernandez wasn't even in Chivas' first team (that plays in the Mexican league) 18 months ago.

So what its the point of giving more time to a 29 year old striker (he is hardly old but he isn't exactly young) who does not have the skills we need (pace, workrate, goal scoring abilities) and who is being paid as an important first teamer when we can invest that in younger talent with the right characteristics to do the role/an experienced chap like Owen who is being paid a fragment of the salary given to Berba?
Yeah the same Owen that averages about half a dozen air kicks every other game and can hardly stay fit for 3 consecutive months. As for the other attributes, do you seriously think Michael Owen of 2010 has pace? works harder than Berbatov? Similarly do you think any of the young strikers you have mentioned in your post is better than Berba in all of these attributes?

Our forward line does not need more experience (we have Rooney and Owen) + we do not need a striker who needs time to adapt and become good (we have Hernandez, Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck who have time at their side). So if a decent offer comes in, what's the point in keeping Berba?
Spot the irony

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's clutching at straws mate, there have been a lot of overpaid players not performing to their full potential at the club and to single out Berba is just unfair. Recall Henrik Larsson? I don't think he came here to play for free in his brief spell at the club which yielded a grand total of 1 goal in 7 games. There are plenty more who are still currently at the club, hence the hefty wage bill, who it can be argued that they aren't earning their keep.

I am sorry but that's just rubbish. The difference in quality between the two is like light and day. Don't let those occasional goal hauls cloud your judgement. Michael Owen is a poor footballer who should have been playing for the likes of Stoke City and NOT United.

It is unrealistic and that's why SAF sent Welbeck on loan, Diouf to an extended run in the reserves, Macheda was injured for large portions of the season and Hernandez wasn't even in Chivas' first team (that plays in the Mexican league) 18 months ago.

Yeah the same Owen that averages about half a dozen air kicks every other game and can hardly stay fit for 3 consecutive months. As for the other attributes, do you seriously think Michael Owen of 2010 has pace? works harder than Berbatov? Similarly do you think any of the young strikers you have mentioned in your post is better than Berba in all of these attributes?

Spot the irony
I don't think that we have paid Larsson a lot during his short stay at United. Stating that, even if that was the case, Larsson was brought as a quick fix and left just after 7 matches. Comparing Berba (30m rated striker who is paid alot) with a 36 year old loanee kind of enforce my argument.

Now I am not Owen's no 1 fan and many can confirm that to you. Stating that if we have to wait for a 29 year old striker to finally deliver the goods then Id rather see us invest that time on a young player with the right characteristics and attitude to succeed then on a 29 year old striker who is shite in front of goal and who is constantly moaning towards his mates because he can't score in a brothel. Now we have 4 promising strikers who has the potential to make it (Diouf, Hernandez, Welbeck and Macheda) + an experienced striker whom, unlike Berba, can actually lead the line. If at least one of those kids, after giving them ample first team experience, is not able to reach at least United's Berba's level then they'll better leave United for good.

Now if SAF believes that Owen is injury prone then I wonder why we are keeping him in the first place. Stating that, Rooney needs quality cover, someone who can score goals and Berba can't provide that. Its pointless keeping him here and sticking him to a role that he is shite in.

B Cantona

Desperate
"We’re delighted to be coming back to America. It’s a place the players always enjoy coming to. We will bring a very strong first-team squad, including Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Edwin van der Sar, Darren Fletcher, John O’Shea and hopefully Michael Owen, as well as some of our exciting young players such as the da Silva twins, Federico Macheda and Danny Welbeck." - Alex Ferguson

Did he just forget about the non world cup bound Bulgarian? This is the kind of thing shite rag press jump on, so I should be above it. Surely he should be a top of the list headline name to mention when you're trying to convince the Yank public the second string they're about to pay a fortune to watch does actually contain a few big names

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"We’re delighted to be coming back to America. It’s a place the players always enjoy coming to. We will bring a very strong first-team squad, including Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Edwin van der Sar, Darren Fletcher, John O’Shea and hopefully Michael Owen, as well as some of our exciting young players such as the da Silva twins, Federico Macheda and Danny Welbeck." - Alex Ferguson

Did he just forget about the non world cup bound Bulgarian? This is the kind of thing shite rag press jump on, so I should be above it. Surely he should be a top of the list headline name to mention when you're trying to convince the Yank public the second string they're about to pay a fortune to watch does actually contain a few big names
Hopefully he's going under the knife any day now, to get his knee sorted.

Shimo

No mention of The One?

And yeah hopefully Berbatov's knee issue gets sorted - it seemed to be more troublesome during the cold period. I remember when they went to train in Doha, they said his knee was fine but, when they returned there was still some doubt. Once it started warming up the problem didn't come up again.

I am going to cry if I don't get to see the dapper Bulgarian.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I want to keep him now. Pissed off with everyone now. Berba will be our player of the season next year. You heard it here first.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I want to keep him now. Pissed off with everyone now. Berba will be our player of the season next year. You heard it here first.
No we haven't. It's the new "next season is our year" normally heard from Liverpool fans.

VoetbalWizard

americans should boycott the tour to be honest. we need to give the glazercunts the lowest possible amount of money and why splash out a fat wedge to see a second-string go through warm-ups against mls opposition.

i knew the moment they chose the US to tour this summer that it would shite due to the world cup being in the summer. Tours during world cup/euro championships are always wank.

2003 was a very good american tour as there were no euros/world cup to keep the players from joining. 2004 however was gash and i didn't go.

Gambit

Dioufs to cool to be mentioned by Name......
Diouf will surpass any expectations of what the term player of theyear involves. They'll have to create a new accolade for The ONE!

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
americans should boycott the tour to be honest. we need to give the glazercunts the lowest possible amount of money and why splash out a fat wedge to see a second-string go through warm-ups against mls opposition.

i knew the moment they chose the US to tour this summer that it would shite due to the world cup being in the summer. Tours during world cup/euro championships are always wank.

2003 was a very good american tour as there were no euros/world cup to keep the players from joining. 2004 however was gash and i didn't go.
It gives people who probably wouldn't normally have a chance to go see United, the chance to go see United. Like feck I'll boycott. Already got my tickets. Can't wait.

Gambit

We should give him his own slot on the clubs TV channel by way of recognition, they can show highlights of his key movements....on the bench.
That smile, it effects the opposition like the eye of Sauron...... feck I must be getting pissed, bringing Tolkien fanstasy to the forum....... feck it. Still more realistic than half of the crap I've be reading here recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.