Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maignan won’t be the one because we probably won’t buy him. But he’s better than Costa.

Maignan is plenty young enough.
Costa is way younger with more time to develop.

He is most definitely a better talent than Maignan who is an injury crisis waiting to happen.

Onerealunited

There were some articles a bit back about a £65m (€75m) release clause, with same articles saying Porto would demand that.
That amount for a goalkeeper??? That will never happen when we are also to spend big in midfield and forward. Hope he stays where he is as I would be sad seeing him move to another top team this summer window

croadyman

That amount for a goalkeeper??? That will never happen when we are also to spend big in midfield and forward. Hope he stays where he is as I would be sad seeing him move to another top team this summer window
Yeah we may well have to push this to 2024

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

It is a risk yes but if he becomes one of the worlds best and locks down the position for 10+ years it's a bargain.

HarryP

Below is a good video of his all-round skillset as a GK, where he displays his ability to distribute both with his feet and with his long throws, as well as his ability to command his area and sweep up behind Porto's last line. He's about 6'3 or 6'4 tall from my personal observation and his next move will potentially cement his place among the very best keepers in the world imo. And the best keepers are those who have a all-round skillset imo.

He's 6'1

But yeah this is the signing that would transform our team more than a CF.

Kingslayer18

I remember myself and @bucky mentioning Maignan on here years ago between (2016-2919) as a keeper we should sign . Bucky longer than I have and he (Maignan) eventually left for 15m.

The keepers are out there you just have to take a chance on potential.
I remember myself and @bucky mentioning Maignan on here years ago between (2016-2919) as a keeper we should sign . Bucky longer than I have and he (Maignan) eventually left for 15m.

Hey mate, I know in earlier posts you mentioned Maarten Vandervoort as a better bet for a De Gea replacement. Considering he's going to Leipzig, have you had a look at the Valencia GK, Giorgi Mamardshvili? Tall, agile and a great shot stopper. His distribution can use some work but he's making good progress in that regard.

Kingslayer18

The big Georgian keeper would suit us better.

I'm liking him more and more and with Valencia potentially going down this season, we can get him without paying huge sums for him. We could even afford to keep De Gea and then phase him out after a year after Mamardshivili has fully acclimatised to english football.

Crimson King

The big Georgian keeper would suit us better.
Suit us better how? From what I've been reading, he's quite dominant in his area and coming to claim the ball from set pieces, but nothing to write home about in terms of distribution and helping the first phase of attack. So he fundamentally lacks what we're looking for, no?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hey mate, I know in earlier posts you mentioned Maarten Vandervoort as a better bet for a De Gea replacement. Considering he's going to Leipzig, have you had a look at the Valencia GK, Giorgi Mamardshvili? Tall, agile and a great shot stopper. His distribution can use some work but he's making good progress in that regard.
I haven't seen Mamardshvili play. But from what I've read, he has the all the traits to be a great keeper with his distribution needing some work. And he's young enough at 22, to improve any weaknesses.

I'm of the opinion that we should target someone with a good all round skillset. And someone who is already comfortable with the ball at his feet. If we can add a good all around keeper who is proactive in his play, then not only will we improve our build up play against teams who press well from the front. But we also open up the potential of seeing the passage of play in the clip below, which is a lost art at Old Trafford.

Nero

So what's he like at actually stopping the ball going in the net?

bucky

As much as I like Maignan and Costa, I think we'd be better off taking a chance on someone cheaper coupled with Raya. Considering that the club is trying to extend de Gea's contract, people in our recruitment department might feel that it is not prudent to spend a lot of money on just Costa for example. I would agree with that approach. Raya to compete with de Gea next season, while someone like Verbruggen is signed for the future and loaned out. I think that would be the best strategy and would also save us money for other positions.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
As much as I like Maignan and Costa, I think we'd be better off taking a chance on someone cheaper coupled with Raya. Considering that the club is trying to extend de Gea's contract, people in our recruitment department might feel that it is not prudent to spend a lot of money on just Costa for example. I would agree with that approach. Raya to compete with de Gea next season, while someone like Verbruggen is signed for the future and loaned out. I think that would be the best strategy and would also save us money for other positions.
Raya is pretty crap every time I watch him. Being free doesn't make them a Man Utd player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed.

And regarding De Gea, we keep hearing about him getting a new contract but nothing is even done yet, considering his contract expires in June. I don't feel the club are even too concerned with him being close to the end of his contract or the chance he could legally sign a pre contract with another club.

Idxomer

Agreed.

And regarding De Gea, we keep hearing about him getting a new contract but nothing is even done yet, considering his contract expires in June. I don't feel the club are even too concerned with him being close to the end of his contract or the chance he could legally sign a pre contract with another club.
Because they are probably quite certain he can't find a better deal than he would get at United.

bucky

Because they are probably quite certain he can't find a better deal than he would get at United.
Was about to respond to Adnan with this. I think United is playing this correctly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree. And I think the club also knows that he wouldn't be of interest to any other big club that places emphasis on their keeper being more than just a shot stopper.

Roboc7

I don’t think Raya will be that cheap though, cheaper than Costa, but 35-40m would be a lot to spend on someone who might not be much of an improvement overall on De Gea.

I agree that signing someone like Verbruggen and loaning them out would be a good way of hedging our bets but of we’re spending significantly we should be getting the best candidate even if they are a bit more expensive.

Bojan Djordjic

I think it's pie in the sky to think we will pay the kind of fees that Costa or indeed Maignan will cost - at least in the Summer. A high concentration of our transfer budget is going to be paid on striker and centre mid and then we'll be searching in the bargain bucket/free agents/loans for goalkeeper, right back and centre back if we can even get around to addressing those positions in summer. I would kill for Costa's play making from gk in our team though.

bucky

I don’t think Raya will be that cheap though, cheaper than Costa, but 35-40m would be a lot to spend on someone who might not be much of an improvement overall on De Gea.

I agree that signing someone like Verbruggen and loaning them out would be a good way of hedging our bets but of we’re spending significantly we should be getting the best candidate even if they are a bit more expensive.
That's been the rumoured figure lately, but I am not convinced the Brentford are going to get that for him. He's in his last year of his contract, he doesn't want to sign a new one, the only advantage that Brentford might have, is that multiple clubs might be interested in him. Nonetheless, the goalkeeper position is still an undervalued position and not many players have gone for significant fees even in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised, if he turned out to be cheaper.

If Brentford are going to insist on that price though, then I'd agree I'd much rather spend more to get Costa or sign a cheap promising young goalkeeper.

AneRu

I think it's pie in the sky to think we will pay the kind of fees that Costa or indeed Maignan will cost - at least in the Summer. A high concentration of our transfer budget is going to be paid on striker and centre mid and then we'll be searching in the bargain bucket/free agents/loans for goalkeeper, right back and centre back if we can even get around to addressing those positions in summer. I would kill for Costa's play making from gk in our team though.
Thats understandable given our current needs and what we spent last summer. FFP will also provide its own difficulties because I think we are forgetting that the summer before last we also spent a big amount.

However I also think that if we sell a number of players (Maguire (30m), AwB/Dalot (20m), McTominay (30m), Van Der Beek (15m), Telles (10m), Bailly (5m), Henderson (20m)) we could get about £90m to £130m. Then I can see us going for a striker that costs around the £80m (Ramos/Muani/Ferguson), there is talk about us being in for Kokcu who is expected to cost £45m bringing the total cost of the summer essential signings to £125m.

After the striker and CM signing, which we can fund from our own resources before sales, we can absolutely afford a £60m keeper, a £30m RB and a £40m CB if we really pushed for it. My assumption is that we will avoid to compete on Osimhen and will be wary of spending the whole summer chasing after Kane or FDJ.

Lux Thunder

Although I can agree that Maignan would be the surest thing, what makes you all think he would be on the market this summer ?

I know that everything has a price in football these days, but I just can't see Milan letting him go or him wanting to move. Both Raya and Costa are very well on the market, one has just a year left on his contract and the other is in a club that is recognized for selling players for a profit.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Costa is the one. Based on nothing other than his age, ability and commanding presence in the box.
His age defies his ability, he is a superb all-rounder.
I'll admit the only occasions I've watched him play were for Portugal at the WC. Would you say that the goal he conceded vs Morocco was out of character for him? He didn't look very commanding in his area for that goal if I recall correctly.

There's no doubting the quality of his passing though that's for sure! Can't wait to see us play pure Ten Hag ball once we sign a keeper with excellent distribution.

Lux Thunder

I haven't seen Mamardshvili play. But from what I've read, he has the all the traits to be a great keeper with his distribution needing some work. And he's young enough at 22, to improve any weaknesses.

I'm of the opinion that we should target someone with a good all round skillset. And someone who is already comfortable with the ball at his feet. If we can add a good all around keeper who is proactive in his play, then not only will we improve our build up play against teams who press well from the front. But we also open up the potential of seeing the passage of play in the clip below, which is a lost art at Old Trafford.

This clip reminds me so much of Onana during his time in Ajax under ETH. He would claim a cross and immediately look to start a counter with a throw out to wide areas.

As long as ETH is a possession-based manager he still appreciates counters and wants his team to take risks and make advantage of those situations, rather than waiting and staying in shape, so it must be part of his tactics/principles too.

With DDG not even claiming crosses is it a part of the game ETH couldn't implement here yet. God I'm sure that if we had an agreement with ETH earlier than Onana had his with Inter, he would follow him here - for free.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think it's clear he's number one target for GK. Feels a bit like when we were chasing de gea.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
THought that we would targeting Gk that cost only on 10-20m bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.